Style from France
The style of France can always be recognized by its sophistication and sophistication. This country has invested a lot in the world heritage, one of the brightest examples is its architecture. From ancient and modern castles to living quarters and private houses – today we recognize each of them in a unique style, thoughtful details, decor and sensual shades..
What it is?
One of the most common features in the architectural style of France is the large windows and, as a result, the light rooms hiding behind them. Since the seventeenth century, wrought-iron fences were installed on the outside of the large window, which were made in a certain style, for example, floral, and were subsequently decorated with flowers or other decorative items..
Such structures are called “French balcony”. They were made for aesthetics, decoration of the outside of the building and the view from the inside. It was a detail in the general architectural plan. Today, any owner of an apartment or a private house can organize a French-style balcony..
The classic French balcony comes in several variations:
- The first is the design of a large window with a wrought-iron fence. Such a decoration is suitable for private houses with high windows, or for non-standard living quarters..
- The second is a forged fence with a base capacity of no more than half a meter. In this case, the doors open inward, and the concrete base is replaced with a metal one. This option looks light and elegant. It is ideal for a person who likes to go out into the fresh air with a cup of coffee or tea..
- And the third option is a forged fence based on standard sizes..
The modern version implies a glass structure with or without a fence. The railing can be of standard height or located at the base of the balcony. Glass construction expands the space, makes the room brighter.
This is a great option for a person who likes to relax on the balcony..
Forged products in architecture lend grace to buildings. Artistic forging differs from ordinary forging in that it has artistic value and is itself a work of art. Most often, wrought-iron fences have a floral or geometric style, and in addition are decorated with flowers and plants. Fences can be made in a U-shaped version, radial (semicircle), or have an unusual shape.
U-shaped fences look strict and stylish. Radial shapes make the balcony airy and visually enlarge the room.
A glass French balcony and a classic wrought-iron railing offer a wonderful view from the inside of the room. This effect is especially enhanced if a beautiful view of nature or the city is revealed in front of your eyes. Particular attention should be paid to the doors. An excellent option for a modern French balcony would be wide double doors, which are entirely, or for the most part, made of glass. If you open such doors, then a full-sized view will open.
Sliding doors can be another great option to complement the graceful and light design of the French style. Another option for a classic balcony is doors with a metal frame and handles in the color of the fence, or, on the contrary, in the opposite or more neutral color, in which the fence will become the brightest detail. In addition to the wrought iron railing, you can install wrought iron grates on the windows..
Before and after installing a French balcony, you need to take into account a number of nuances and features:
- The weight of the glass structure and forged products. Glass and forged products weigh a lot, and they need to be installed on a proven and, if necessary, repaired concrete base. Before installing such a balcony in the “Khrushchev”, you need to agree on the installation in local authorities.
- Temperature. In summer, the glass surface can get very hot, especially on the sunny side, so you need to think over a ventilation system, or initially install a balcony in buildings with good ventilation. In winter, on the other hand, it can be very cold, since the glass balcony does not imply additional thermal insulation. Therefore, it is necessary to select glasses with a special coating that does not allow the cold to pass through..
- Care. Glasses require special care and time-consuming.
- Security. A glass balcony without fencing, depending on the quality of the material and installation, can be unreliable. This is especially important on high floors. Therefore, along with beauty and comfort, you need to think about safety once again. It can be safety glass, installation of additional removable protection. In the latter case, a long balcony will look like a loggia glazed outside..
Decorations for the classic style can be flower pots, plants, all kinds of light bulbs, lanterns and candlesticks. The decor of the modern version can be considered the interior of the balcony itself. It can be translucent tulle, blinds, seats or chairs, tables made in different styles, for example, wood, straw, forged products, etc..
Flowers will also look very impressive inside and outside of such a balcony. To grow flowers inside a French balcony, you need to consider compliance with the natural conditions of the plants..
With your own hands
Self-design and installation of a balcony is a very responsible business. Failure to comply with standards can be dangerous not only for your own life, but also for the lives of people around you. Therefore, each stage must be carefully thought out and performed with high quality..
- First you need to agree on the installation in local authorities.
- After that, extremely accurately measure the concrete base of the balcony and its future height. If you are planning a classic version with a small capacity, outline the future width and length of the base. If, when installing the fence, the dimensions do not match, then later, over time, this can lead to distortion of the structure.
- If the concrete will not be replaced by a metal base, it is necessary to check its quality and integrity, and, if necessary, to repair.
- After that, a glass structure is installed, if there is one, if not, a fence.
The glass structure consists of glass and metal-plastic, aluminum or wood. It is assembled from common, in the entire wall zones, or in vertical sections, one after the other. Also, the balcony can completely consist of glass, including the floor. The version with maximum glazing is created using modern technologies; it is unlikely that it will be possible to do this on your own..
For reliability and comfort, you can use energy-saving and double-chamber glasses. You can hold the tinted lower part of the balcony, or install glass with one-way visibility, in the event that you do not want to reveal the details of your life to passers-by. For balconies with a small capacity, sliding windows will be the most convenient to use..
The balcony railing serves two purposes: protective and decorative. The top edge of the guard should be no lower than mid-belly. In accordance with the average height of an adult, the standard size of the fence is 1 – 1.5 m. Empty spaces in the fence should not exceed 10 cm.
The quality of forging should be high, the material should be smooth, durable, and withstand a weight of 100 kg per running meter. Products should not corrode and crack. A wrought iron fence is attached to the base and walls of the house.
In a private house
A country cottage and a wooden private house become the object of the embodiment of creativity when it comes to creating and installing a French balcony. In addition to forged products, wooden fences are an excellent option for private houses..
Products made of natural wood are in harmony with the surrounding nature of country cottages, and of course serve as an ideal continuation for wooden houses. Wooden fences, as well as forged ones, are made in different styles. For durability and reliability, the tree must be treated with special materials that do not allow it to be exposed to atmospheric conditions..
Private houses, especially at the stages of its construction, allow you to create balconies of different sizes and shapes, and subsequently decorate them in a wide variety of ways. It can be small balconies and large ones, several rooms wide..
Glazing can be of different shapes, wavy lines, shapes connected by metal structures, or wood. If the balcony is located on the lower floors of a building, then it can be largely decorative. There can be many options for such a decoration, it all depends on the mind and imagination of its owner..
When building a house with French balconies, the creation of high windows will play an important role in the overall design, which, in turn, can also be assigned a French balcony..
Air conditioners and heating
As mentioned above, the French style of the balcony does not include standard insulation, so in winter it can be very cold, and in summer, due to the heating of the glass, it can be hot. There are a number of technical points that allow you to get around this drawback, for example, the choice of special glass that retains heat..
On the way to aesthetics and grace, of course, I want them to be combined with comfort and maximum convenience. The ability to “control the weather” and create maximum comfort in the room gives the air conditioner.
The air conditioning system consists of an indoor and outdoor unit. The external unit is placed on the wall of the house in an open space, since it constantly needs fresh air, and the internal unit is on the balcony. With an air conditioner, you can adjust the temperature, humidity and air speed.
In winter, provided that the base of the balcony remains concrete, all kinds of heating systems can be installed, for example, electric, infrared and cable floors. Thus, in addition to aesthetic pleasure, you can get the full comfort of a French balcony at any time of the year..