Renovating the house is a lot of hassle, but painting the walls in the bedroom is one of the quickest and most enjoyable undertakings that even a child can handle. If we talk about the most intimate home space, then the walls here should be conducive to rest and relaxation, so give preference to muted or natural shades.
Wall paint will help to change the image of the room – a safe and environmentally friendly composition with a rich color palette.. Among other methods of decorating a room, it is distinguished by the following advantages:
- Wooden, plasterboard, brick and even cemented “bare” walls (provided that the cement is dry), plastered, lend themselves to paint. You can paint it with wallpaper (coloring, of course);
- It will take just one day for a complete transformation of the bedroom., if painted wallpaper is glued in it or the walls are fully prepared for painting – leveled, plastered and dried;
- The paint allows you to achieve a uniform shade of the walls and even create a unique pattern on them if you use stencils.
Modern water-based paint has a number of features, because of which it is chosen for painting the walls in the bedroom and for children and adults:
- Dries in less than 2 hours;
- Has no unpleasant smell – you can sleep in a room on the same night;
- Safe and non-toxic;
- It is applied easily and spreads evenly over the walls;
- Not flammable;
- Available in a wide palette;
- UV resistant: does not fade in the sun, even if the room is located on the south side.
Water-based paint is distinguished by a base, which can be silicone or silicate, mineral or acrylic, and they must be chosen for the bedroom. Alkyd and oil formulations are best avoided – they are toxic and vapor-proof.
What is required for work?
One or a couple of cans of paint is not enough, you need to arm yourself with equipment and materials for work.
- Paint rollers. Painting the walls with your own hands without them is impossible. They evenly distribute paint over any surface and do not leave streaks, smudges or other defects. The wider and larger the walls in the room, the larger the rollers should be (so that the process does not take a long time), and the smoother they are, the shorter the pile should be on the rollers. Choose them with removable spares and take several at once – with a long and short handle. The former are useful for painting the upper part of the wall, the latter for the lower.
- Paint brushes. They are usually used to paint corners, joints and other areas that cannot be reached with a roller. Choose inventory with long, thick, cone-shaped bristles.
- Masking tape used to restrict a section of a wall – ceiling line, plinth or something else.
- Paint tray. Ready or diluted paint is poured into a tray so that it is convenient to take it with a paint roller. The bottom of the tray is corrugated, its size is larger than the area of the roller itself.
- Additional capacity required if the paint needs to be “cooked” or tinted with pigment.
- Putty, plaster will be needed if the walls have a rough finish, uneven and requiring a preliminary transformation.
Preparation and staining
Before painting, the walls must be even and uniform, since the decorative base cannot hide flaws, but only emphasizes them. The stages of preparation are as follows:
- Old wallpaper, putty, paint, plaster and other coatings will have to be removed until the wall is “bare”;
- All dust and dirt from the room will also have to be taken out. – the room should become practically sterile and dry, so ventilate it thoroughly after cleaning;
- Small cracks, depressions, holes and other nuances, putty, if it is necessary to level the walls completely, use alabaster plaster;
- Apply 2-3 primer coats from a mixture of synthetic dispersion and latex;
- Intermediate materials must dry well – leave the room for ventilation for 1-2 days each time;
- Distribute masking tape around the perimeter of the room: the joint with the ceiling and plinth is required;
- Use a freshly prepared paint solution in an amount sufficient to paint the intended area. If the paint is tinted, then next time it is unlikely to get the same shade;
- Paint the walls with a roller from top to bottom and crosswise., so that the composition is evenly distributed along the wall;
- Paint corners and other hard-to-reach areas with a brush, which must be dipped into the paint by about 3 \ 4.
If the bedroom does not require leveling the walls and wallpaper for painting is already glued in it, start with point 6 of the plan.
For the bedroom, choose calm muted shades, giving preference to your favorite colors in the palette. The color of the room also depends on who lives in it – a young married couple or already in age, newlyweds without children or with children, a teenager (boy or girl), a child or several children.
- White – the basis of any bedroom in any format and style. It looks laconic on its own or acts as a background for furniture. In any case, it is necessary to put emphasis in the form of bright details – dark furniture, colored textiles.
- Cold blue suitable for people who are peaceful and calm. It relaxes, soothes, provided that a muted powdery tone is chosen..
- Green helps to relax those whose main work is related to mental activity.
- Purple and red can be accents and used as textiles, armchairs, accessories or discreet patterns on curtains. You should not paint the walls with them, since bright colors prevent relaxation, it is better to replace them with lavender or pink.
- Lavender – the color of Provence. It relaxes, promotes favorable rest and relaxation, if this shade is to the liking of the owners of the room..
There is a use of several shades in the interior of one bedroom. These can be bright colors like pink and green or blue for a child’s room, basic ones – white, gray and black for an adult bedroom in style Modern, Minimalism, Hi-tech or shades of beige and brown for Classics, Country.
The contrasting color of the walls and furniture looks especially advantageous, so choosing light shades of paint is worth it for dark furniture and vice versa, dark walls will look laconic with light decoration.
Some helpful tips
White paint and color tint make it possible to create a unique and original shade. The latter is simply diluted in white paint until the desired color is obtained immediately before the finishing process, but keep in mind that you will not be able to repeat the same and immediately prepare the composition for the entire area of the room.
- Use 2-3 shades on the walls: create one accent (where the head of the bed will be located), zone the rest with a different color or shade;
- For a south-facing bedroom, choose cool wall tones. – white, gray, lavender, blue, black, for the north – warm, like beige, yellow, brown, olive or aqua;
- Apply 3 coats of paint: the first – vertical lines, the second – horizontal, the final – cruciform.
For ideas and options for bedroom design in apartments and country houses, see the selection below. Please note that in the pictures, the walls are painted with paint and accents are placed in very interesting ways – a colored stretch ceiling, huge picture frames, bright furniture and textiles.
If you are planning a renovation and are considering the issue of wall decoration, then watch the following video, in which you will find fashionable painting ideas for different rooms..