In recent years, traditional curtains have often replaced blinds. This type of curtain almost completely absorbs sunlight, looks neat and takes up very little space. However, when it comes to cleaning, many housewives get lost and don’t know what to do..
There are twelve types of blinds in total, but within the framework of this article you will be told about those that can most often be found in ordinary apartments..
Horizontal blinds – one of the favorite types. This type of curtain is perfect for any interior and is also a very functional piece of furniture. For example, you can often see horizontal blinds used in the design of hard-to-reach tall windows.. This type is called attic. Often, roof blinds are equipped with an electric drive, which greatly facilitates opening and closing..
Also, horizontal blinds are installed between the frames. Basically, this installation method is used to equip old wooden windows. This type, respectively, is called interframe. It helps to save space by allowing you to alternately open the blinds on one or the other of the window sash..
Horizontal blinds are installed both indoors and outdoors.
The next large group of blinds is vertical. They are made mainly of soft materials, so they are installed in residential areas. Vertical blinds can be multi-textured. Recently, this type is used more and more often, since it looks elegant and bright, at the same time it has all the features of ordinary blinds. Vertical photo blinds are installed in children’s rooms, offices, living rooms and even bedrooms. This type of curtain allows you to diversify the interior, making it more interesting. Often, such designs become the central part of the entire design composition..
From a distance, pleated blinds can be mistaken for ordinary horizontal blinds, but upon closer examination they turn out to be a sheet of rigid fabric folded in the shape of an accordion. This type is often used in the design of arches and openings, but also occurs on windows..
Special blinds for arches and bay windows, as a rule, are not always made with an opening function, since they often have a fancy shape. Nevertheless, today it is one of the best functional solutions for the design of openings of intricate shapes and non-standard sizes. In this case, the blinds perform both a protective function and a decorative.
Roman curtains They are also often referred to as blinds, since they are very similar in design to pleated blinds. The main differences are that Roman blinds are made of soft fabric, so they can be integrated into the interior of absolutely any room. In addition, they are assembled like an accordion gradually during closing, while pleated curtains are always in this shape..
The choice of different bases for the manufacture of blinds is quite large:
- Aluminum blinds – the most inexpensive option for horizontal products. They are easy to clean and do not build up dirt and static electricity. In addition, it is almost impossible to bend or spoil such models (unless you do it on purpose, of course). The disadvantages include the fact that they are not suitable for installation on windows that face the sunny side, as they quickly and strongly heat up.
- Plastic blinds – modern alternative to aluminum. They are also low cost, easy to maintain, repel dirt, do not electrify, but deform under the influence of their own weight. The service life of plastic horizontal blinds is extremely short.
- Fabric blinds are chosen mainly for bedrooms, living rooms, children’s rooms, as well as for office premises where work with clients is in progress. This type of curtain creates more comfort than its metal or plastic counterparts..
- Within this category, it is possible to distinguish not only rag blinds. Jacquard is also quite common material for making. It differs in texture. So, a jacquard fabric is not completely flat, but is complemented by convex patterns, which can be either the same color with the main one or a contrasting one..
- Wooden blinds require more energy in the care than iron or even fabric. The tree itself is capricious, it does not tolerate water, so it is forbidden to place this type in rooms with high humidity. When choosing wooden blinds, you immediately need to purchase a special tool or polish to care for them..
Bamboo models easier and more pleasant to care for. In addition, they look no worse than wooden ones. An experienced designer can easily fit them into almost any interior. To care for bamboo structures, you do not need to buy any special products, since they are less demanding than their wooden “brothers”.
As you can see, the choice of material is very large, and you can choose the necessary blinds for any room..
It should be noted that aluminum, plastic, wood or bamboo is chosen for the production of horizontal blinds. They are capable of almost completely absorbing light, which makes them indispensable in overly lit rooms. It is also necessary to take into account the properties of the material when choosing blinds for any room. For example, aluminum or wood is not suitable for a kitchen. Aluminum heats up easily, and wood can deform when exposed to heat. In addition, wooden blinds cannot be cleaned of greasy deposits..
Fabric or jacquard materials are mainly used in the manufacture of vertical blinds. Bay windows and pleated blinds are also mainly made of fabric. It is important to remember that it is better to leave rag options for decorating living rooms, since installation in rooms such as a kitchen or bathroom will damage the appearance of the product due to constant exposure to steam and moisture.
Proper home care
To get started, be sure to read the instructions and find out if your blinds can be cleaned at home. For some models, only professional dry cleaning is possible. If it is prohibited, it is better to refrain from dangerous experiments, otherwise you risk permanently ruining the product. As a rule, it costs much less to clean blinds from a professional than to buy new ones..
Care of the blinds consists in timely cleaning of the slats and lubrication of the elements responsible for opening the curtains..
Wipe down the curtain rod before cleaning. Sometimes the hostesses forget about this hard-to-reach place and remember it only when the curtains have already been cleaned and hung in place. To avoid having to repeat the entire care procedure, start cleaning from above: cornice, blinds and window, windowsill. Be sure to treat the opening elements of the curtain rod with silicone grease. You can purchase a suitable lubricant at your furniture store. See a specialist who usually advises there. Before going to the store, write down the name of the company and the model of your curtains so that the specialist can choose the best option for you, which is exactly suitable for lubricating parts..
After completing the preparatory steps, you can proceed directly to the procedure for cleaning or washing the blinds..
How to properly remove from the window?
Often, housewives do not allow the blinds to be heavily soiled, shaking off dust from them in a timely manner, but sometimes it happens that this type of curtains must be thoroughly washed, wiping off the stubborn stain. In this case, they must be removed from the window before washing. Dismantling of blinds of various configurations is slightly different. To get started, study the design that distinguishes your particular model. Perhaps it differs from the typical one, and the methods described in this article will not work for you..
Dismantling vertical fabric blinds is quite simple:
- Close the blinds so that the slats are completely distributed over the entire length of the eaves. Open them fully so that they are perpendicular to each other, letting in as much light as possible into the room..
- Pull out the plug on the side of the cornice.
- Disconnect the chain with which the lamellas are connected at the bottom and pull out the plastic weights.
- Now carefully detach the lamellas by moving the attachment point slightly up and at the same time sideways towards the longer part of the runner. Separate the lamella with a gentle but quick motion. After separation, the slats need to be carefully folded one after the other, especially if you are the owner of multi-textured or curly blinds.
We bring to your attention a video that will help you better understand the principle of unfastening individual slats.
Dismantling horizontal blinds is a little more difficult, since in order to understand how they work, you need to carefully study the upper part of the structure. The instruction in this case will save a considerable amount of time and nerves, since it probably contains all the necessary information on how to remove your model of blinds..
Usually the brackets completely fix the entire system, so first you need to dismantle the cornices from these same brackets. Be sure to ask someone to help you with the removal of the horizontal model, since it is almost impossible to cope alone – this is too intricate and cumbersome. This is especially true in cases where the blinds are installed on large windows or are made of fragile materials such as plastic or wood..
Dismantling of horizontal blinds with a swallow-type lock is performed as follows:
- To get started, use your fingers or a screwdriver to open the front and back panels of the topmost plank. Remove the bar.
- Unscrew the bolts with a screwdriver.
- Now remove the structure from the brackets.
In the presence of decorative plugs, the following method of removing the slats is used:
- Raise the slats to the very top, in other words, open the blinds as much as possible.
- Remove the plugs.
- Locate the tabs on the clips and pull them sharply towards you. Then pull to the right.
- At the same time, the assembled plates must be pulled towards you and down..
- You can start disassembling the device.
How to clean properly?
Dry cleaning of blinds can be carried out both in a suspended state and after removal. It should be remembered that it is prohibited to use any means other than a dust brush when cleaning vertical fabric blinds.. At the same time, there are several ways to clean horizontal or vertical nonwovens:
- The easiest thing to do is to dust off with a fluffy soft brush. Such cleaning will take a minimum amount of time, while at the same time it will allow you to bring dusty blinds into a more or less proper form. You can also use a microfiber cloth for these purposes. This method is more suitable, since microfiber collects dust, while after using a soft brush, it rises back into the air and settles on surrounding objects or later on the same blinds..
- To get rid of dust, along with the listed products, paint brushes or a piece of sheep’s wool are used.. But the most interesting is a special invention designed to help in the care of blinds – a brush. It is made using different materials in the cleaning part, but usually it is microfiber with fibers of different lengths. The photographs show two different configurations of these brushes. As you can see, they allow you to clean the planks at the same time on both sides..
- The next cleaning method is using wet wipes.. Judging by the reviews, using regular antibacterial hand wipes in this case is not a good idea. It would be much more correct to opt for options for office equipment, since they help to relieve static stress, and also do not leave streaks. You can gradually wipe each bar from both sides from above, but it is much easier to bring the blinds to the closed position first with one side of the lamellas, wipe them from top to bottom. Then unfold the slats with the other side and wipe again. Remember to replace wipes as they become dirty with fresh and clean.
- Another way to quickly clean blinds is with a window cleaner.. Bring the blinds to the closed position. Spray a little on the canvas and gently, without pressure, wipe with a microfiber cloth. Work the panels from top to bottom, gradually moving from left to right. Repeat the same procedure for the other side.
When cleaning in the above way, do not forget to hold the lamellae with your hand in order to avoid deformation during cleaning..
- The next method will require equipment such as rubber gloves, several pairs of cotton work gloves, and a detergent.. Dilute a little in a bucket or bowl. Put on rubber gloves and cotton on top. Wet your hands in soapy water and gently wipe the slats on both sides at the same time, holding them between your fingers. Rinse soiled gloves regularly to keep them free of dirt streaks..
Next, wipe the lamellas with new gloves soaked in clean water.
- Dilute the vinegar solution 1 to 1. With gloves soaked in the solution, rub each bar separately again, pinching it between your fingers. This will add shine to the coating material. Put on dry cotton gloves and run over each of the slats again, collecting the remaining moisture and drying them. This method is suitable for heavily soiled blinds, as it allows you to work separately especially in need of it areas..
- Wooden blinds are only cleaned using a special tool or polish. If the lamella is heavily soiled, it is simply better to replace it with a new one. This eliminates the risk of damaging adjacent planks during aggressive cleaning..
How to wash quickly?
Blinds can be quickly cleaned of dirt using a multifunctional cleaner for various surfaces. Many companies produce similar formulations, so you can find the right option in any price category.. To wash vertical fabric blinds, use the following method:
- Remove the blinds, separate from additional accessories such as weights and chains. put them in small piles on top of each other and gently roll them into a loose roller, being careful not to wrinkle the panels. Place each roller in a delicate wash bag.
- Dilute the multifunctional solution following package directions. Now rinse the bags in the solution several times, then lowering them, then taking them out. Repeat the procedure several times. If the lamellas are heavily soiled, we recommend soaking them in the product for a while..
Please note that washing powder or detergent is not suitable for washing fabric blinds. Both can wash away the dust-repellent impregnation, as well as contribute to the fact that the lamellas lose their original color..
Also, panels cannot be washed selectively, it is better to wash the entire array. Otherwise, the lamellas will differ from each other in color and texture. After thoroughly rinsing the panels in the cleaning solution, rinse them thoroughly in clean water as well. Carefully remove the rollers from the bags, straighten and spread them on a clean, dry cloth to dry naturally. Do not use a hairdryer or washing machine to dry the blinds.
After the lamellas are completely dry, you can iron them with an iron, heating it up to 1-2 stages.
If some stains have not been removed, you should not try to wipe them off with the help of available tools, for example, a brush. It will damage the surface texture of the fabric, and it will also wear away the impregnation, and there is no guarantee that you will get rid of the stain. It is better to consult a specialist, as a rule, dry cleaning can easily cope with dirt of any complexity. Washing hard blinds won’t be a hassle either. They can be washed with regular detergent..
Rinse the blinds gently with the shower. The water should be cool, use a low pressure. If it is heavily soiled, dilute the soapy water in the bathtub and soak the blinds there. The soaking time depends on the degree of soiling. Next, using a microfiber cloth or soft sponge, wipe each of the slats. Rinse off the foam with water.
Do not use the abrasive side of the sponge, as it can strip off the paint, ruining the appearance of the blinds. As with soft blinds, hard ones should be spread out on a soft cloth and allowed to dry completely naturally..
There are a few tips to help you take care of your blinds at home easier and more enjoyable:
- To clean the blinds from dust, you can use an ingenious device – vacuum cleaner. Just select a special furniture brush, turn on the lowest power and “walk” a little over the closed curtains..
- Removing grease from blinds in the kitchen is easy rinse them with dishwashing detergent (of course, if they are not wooden or fabric). Dishwashing detergent has excellent grease-repelling properties, making it much easier to scrub off unpleasant stains without the use of abrasive sponges or brushes..
- Wash fabric slats no more than once a year, otherwise, they may lose both color and shape.
- To avoid the need to carry out “general” cleaning of horizontal blinds, wipe them with wet wipes once a week.
- Try to fully lift blinds in the afternoon, and not just open them. Raised blinds collect much less dust and the risk of contamination is negligible.