For comfort and decoration of the bedroom, many housewives choose tulle. It is a modern and attractive fabric that diffuses light well and gives the room a sophisticated look..
What is it used for?
Tulle is a transparent and light fabric that has patterns or mesh in its structure. It is versatile and fits any interior, making it lightweight and softening bulky details. In a small room, tulle will add free space, hide all problem areas of the window opening, create unusual transitions of light and shadow.
Tulle fabric is used not only to create curtains and curtains. For example, tulle is widespread as a decoration for underwear and corsets; it is used in translucent and transparent dresses, wedding veils and capes. Regular plain fabrics do not hold up to patterned fabrics that have difficulty letting in sunlight..
Therefore, tulle will perfectly fit into a room where a feeling of lightness, purity and innocence is needed.. A wide selection of colors, sizes and placement options, combined with simplicity and a beautiful appearance, gives almost unlimited possibilities for interior transformation.
Alas, like any fabric, tulle does an excellent job of collecting dust. If the fabric hangs on the sunny side of the house for a long time, then it gradually changes shape and color, acquiring an unpleasant yellowish tint. It will not be possible to completely avoid this, however, you can prevent such a disaster in time and thereby extend the life of the fabric.. The easiest way to avoid fading is with a timely and correct wash.
Sometimes it is difficult to choose the right tulle material from the huge variety of options.. Each of them has its own pros and cons, better or worse suited for certain curtains and window openings:
- Organza – lightweight, transparent and very durable fabric. The price depends on the raw materials from which it was made: viscose, polyester or natural silk. You can decorate it in different ways, using embroidery, rhinestones, appliqué decor or painting on fabric..
- Veil it is distinguished from organza by its softness, since it is a plain weave cotton fabric. Fine threads and dense weave resemble gauze, only of higher quality.
- Viscose – synthetic and short-lived fabric, but no less popular from this. It is often combined with polyester and polyester to increase durability and strength..
- Fatin – a mesh material that resembles tulle in its qualities (lightness and splendor), but differs in much greater rigidity and bright texture. The dense interweaving of threads and a honeycomb-like mesh make tulle a specific fabric that will adorn the bride’s outfit, but will be superfluous in a soft and elegant interior. It is better to make appliques, artificial flowers and tulle trimmings from it..
What to look for when choosing?
First of all, when choosing tulle for the bedroom, it is important to pay attention to the shape and size of the window opening. How the tulle will be used also dictates the choice of the appropriate material, be it mesh, organza or viscose..
You will have to pay more attention to the choice if the goal is to make tulle a key element of the interior or a functional detail, without which the room will not produce the desired effect. Color plays a role when the question is: how dark or light the room should be. Light translucent fabrics are ideal for this task..
Those who often wash curtains, tulle and curtains should pay attention to the convenience of caring for them. The least problematic models in this regard are viscose curtains. They fully meet these requirements, since they easily tolerate washing and retain their excellent appearance. Polyester is also unpretentious and strong enough. In the store, you can take samples of materials to check how the fabric is suitable for a particular interior..
How to wash?
So that the tulle lasts as long as possible and does not lose its attractive appearance after several washes, it is very important to take proper care of it:
- First you need dust off the tulle, it is more practical to do it on the street, so as not to send dirt flying throughout the apartment or house.
- Dissolve a tablespoon of baking soda in water and leave for several hours. This is a working recipe for beautiful and eye-catching curtains. It is also advisable to add a detergent for delicate fabrics..
- The tulle should never be twisted! It is enough to squeeze out slightly and wait for the water to drain..
- Rinse you need a lot of warm water.
- Some types of tulle curtains look much better, if you lightly starch them after washing. To add shine, add a spoonful of vinegar to the water..
- Iron tulle also Not recommended.
How to calculate the size?
The size of the curtains makes a huge difference when buying. First of all, you need to measure the windows and cornice. For a beautiful design of tulle with folds, it is necessary to take as much fabric as will fit in the conditional two cornices. The height of the fabric itself is different: to the windowsill, not three centimeters to the floor, or hang to the floor.
A few tips:
- There should be a supply of fabric on the sides about five centimeters.
- If the width of the fabric is not satisfactory, you can buy two identical canvases and sew them together. In the drapery of the seam, no one will see.
- When a room has two windows at a short distance, the designers recommend hanging one whole canvas. It will visually enlarge the opening itself and create a single composition. Do not do this if the distance between the windows is too large. Then it is better to use the same type of fabric for each opening..
- The curtains are measured from the top of the eaves to the places where the fabric will touch sex.
- The measurement process should start with eaves attachment. After all, only after the fabric is hung, it will be possible to look at it in its entirety and determine the optimal length.
- Ta canyon with a picture should be wider than indicated in the calculations. This will allow you to achieve a uniform pattern throughout the canvas..
We select and combine colors
For a bedroom, color is critical. People spend at least eight hours in this room every day, so choosing a color palette can be a decisive factor. Many people know or have read that The “right” color can make a room bigger and taller, add light (in addition to lamps and chandeliers) and create a favorable environment throughout the apartment:
- White color increases space, but too much of it will inevitably evoke associations with a sterile and uncomfortable hospital, which will not allow you to rest and calm your nerves. Its aggressiveness is softened by splashes of beige, pastel pink..
- Green – the most soothing and harmonious. Most often it is used to decorate living rooms, but soft shades are acceptable in dining rooms and in bedrooms. Green light transparent tulle looks rich against the background of heavy Roman curtains with a gold floral print.
- Blue. It is not as bright as blue, so it calms and rejuvenates. However, its “coldness” can play a cruel joke with the interior and make it boring and dull. To prevent this from happening, you will have to add warm details like soft pillows, napkins, blankets or paintings, the frames of which have a rich brown color. So the room will immediately become cozier and more pleasant. Plus, this color is considered the most fashionable.
- From blue it blows cold, it feels more inaccessible and prickly than attractive. It should not be combined with white and other cold colors, which relax and completely “freeze” the room. Beige and all shades of yellow effectively remove excess coolness.
- Red – psychologically the most assertive and exciting after the white. In a concentrated form, it is not used, so as not to get the effect of a red rag for a bull. With its excessive brightness, it suppresses the mind and activates feelings, at a subconscious level, causing bouts of uncontrolled activity when you don’t expect it at all – for example, before going to bed.
So red tulle is not suitable for a bedroom, moreover, it will hide the real area of the room. But the combination of red with other warm colors (it can be additionally muted) will perfectly fit into the interior of the living room.
The fundamental principles that clearly define once and for all the color of the fabrics that must hang on the cornice have not yet been invented. No one dares to argue that this piece of furniture must certainly be bought to match the bedspread or cushion for your favorite sofa. Sometimes they don’t match any object in the room, or they contrast sharply with other things with unusual texture, style or edging. Undoubtedly, such experiments require courage and design flair, but even if there are few of them, color is, first of all, a consequence of the owner’s taste, and not the result of strict adherence to unwritten rules..
However, for those who find it difficult to immediately determine their desires, there are common tips to help make a room unique and attractive at the same time:
- You will have to pay much less for beautiful curtains., what a sofa, which is usually bought for many years and does not change due to a sharp change in the style of the entire room. Therefore, for those who know the value of money, easier to match the tulle to the color of the bed or sofa. You shouldn’t be guided by wallpaper either – they change over time, but the tulle hangs on the cornices for decades and can be completely lost due to changes in the interior
- The simplest and most elegant option is combine curtains and tulle in style with the largest and most eye-catching object in the interior. For this purpose, a sofa, carpet, or even a bedside table with an interestingly curved lamp on it will do. You don’t have to worry about using only perfectly matching colors. It is enough to choose a combination that is pleasant to the eye.
- Calm colors (linen, pink lavender, peach) are unlikely to spoil the room, because they are always relevant and suitable as a background for almost any interior. Tulle serves as a great backdrop for design experiments with the rest of the furniture and does not interrupt them with flashy patterns and appliqués..
- It also happens that the interior of the room did not meet the expectations laid down in it or came out too contrasting against the background of the rest of the house or apartment.. Then you can turn your attention from an unsuccessful sofa or too colorful wallpaper to a window, which will be framed by catchy curtains. It is better to give preference not to monochrome canvases, but to prints (this can be any color image, for example, in butterflies), with stripes or other geometric patterns, and a variegated border. To combine individual elements, details are simply added: bedspreads, lamps, decorative bows.
If the room seems too flashy (many different colors are used), it is worth choosing calm tones, focusing on the color scheme of the apartment as a whole or a particular room.
- The opposite should be done if the interior is monochrome: then the tulle does not get close to the walls, otherwise they will simply merge with it. The color may not be completely the same, but it is close in shade. It is also permissible to take options of different colors to create contrast and visually highlight the window along with the window sill..
Modern ideas for various interiors
No matter how stubborn the fashion is and no matter what advice the professionals give, you should not blindly follow them, it is especially not recommended to buy all the new items. Based on the color you like, you need to choose the desired shade that is suitable for a specific design solution:
- “Zooms in” the window and creates the effect of increasing the space special color combination of violet-red and yellow. You can also use a double color combination.
- Remove space of color from the cold spectrum. If you hang tulle in blue, light green and pearl colors, then the bedroom will become at least twice as large. But overdoing it is also not worth it, everything needs a measure.
Based on the above, we can conclude that light colors expand the space, and dark colors reduce. Accordingly, in small rooms fabrics of light colors will look more beautiful, and for voluminous and spacious rooms where there is too much “air”, you need to select any other shades depending on the functionality and preferences.
The main rule that you should adhere to is that you need to know when to stop in everything..
There must be a drawing on the tulle, but it should not be placed wherever the owner of the room wanted it. An exception may be materials originally developed in combination with each other. In this case, the same color scheme is acceptable..
In no case should you combine natural fabric and synthetics that imitate it. The combination of these fabrics looks ridiculous and ugly, because, for example, natural linen and synthetic tulle transmit light differently and have different weights..
Do not combine with natural fabric and polyester because of its rigidity. However, it works surprisingly well with other man-made fabrics. Only viscose is knocked out of the rule, because in fact it is not synthetic. In terms of properties, it partly resembles silk, therefore they are often used in combination.
Secondly, it is preferable to use fabrics of similar composition in one model or set..
The most reliable and practical way to attach tulle to a curtain rod is to use eyelets.. They are rings made of either steel or plastic. They are inserted into the upper part of the curtain and the cornice is threaded through them. With this method of decorating a window, you can use almost any kind of fabric, colors, ornaments and color schemes..
With the help of eyelets, fabrics move freely along the window and do not lose their shape or beautiful drapery. On the contrary, the rings visually increase the height thanks to perfectly even vertical folds on the fabric. As in clothes, vertical lines perfectly straighten any imperfections and excess volumes..
Combination with night curtains
In corner rooms, you can often see several windows at once, which differ in size and shape. It is logical to use different methods and approaches to decoration in them. For harmony, tulle is made from one fabric, but folded or decorated individually, giving each window its own mood and “character”, this is how a combined design option is obtained.
Short tulle is easy to use and maintain. It allows light to enter the room, does not interfere with air circulation and is safe, because small children and animals will not reach it. There are many types:
- “A cafe”, which are called so because of their simplicity and unpretentiousness. They are ideal both for the kitchen, where they do not take up much space and there is an arch, and for the children’s room, since they are inaccessible for small children. A homey look is created with decorative folds and a naive “rustic” look that works even if they are in a luxury hotel or country house. They are easy to wash and remove as the cornice is hung in the center of the window.
- Austrian combine the austere style of the Roman and the pretentious splendor of the French. The folds are formed only after lifting. A great option for those who prefer timeless classics.
- Bamboo options will decorate the bedroom in an original and interesting way. They do not attract dust and germs, are safe for allergy sufferers, are easy to clean and do not require frequent maintenance..
Watch a video on a similar topic.