When decorating any room in your apartment, you probably have doubts about which curtains to choose. The ability to choose textiles wisely is a special talent, because among the many options for curtains and fixings, it is easy for them to get lost. But you can easily acquire this talent if you familiarize yourself in detail with the types of curtains, you will be guided by various signs and you will own the rules for choosing specific models..
What models are there?
The style is the decisive factor in choosing the right product. Classification by style includes quite a large number of options for curtains with their characteristic features:
- Rope Models play mainly a decorative role in the interior. Similar products are used, in addition to windows, also on doorways. They are uniform strands of the same size that transmit light and add spice to the interior. Sometimes this window design looks very laconic, it is used even for office premises..
- Roman curtains consist of a solid canvas equal in size and shape to the parameters of the window. They can be dense and do not transmit light, sometimes they are translucent, there is even a transparent version of such products. Such curtains are usually decorated with ornaments in a contrasting color..
- Describing japanese curtains, you can imagine the whole atmosphere of this distinctive country. These curtains are usually large and have a dense texture. They are often painted in Japanese prints in the form of sakura flowers, hieroglyphs and characteristic symbols of Japan..
- Italian curtains equipped with special cords tied diagonally. On the seamy side there are rings in which a special cord is threaded, securing the entire structure.
- To close small windows use screens. Their second name is roller blinds. The cylindrical body is installed above the window. It is equipped with a mechanism that folds the fabric structure. This kind of textiles are still gaining popularity in our country..
- Curtains presented in the form of fabric strips, called sliding. Thick fabric is often used in combination with tulle. Their feature is an easy way of hanging on the cornice using clothespins and the ability to move apart in the horizontal direction..
- To decorate your interior in a truly creative way, you can use austrian curtains. Their design is similar to the Roman ones, but the Austrian models are more functional. They transform not only upwards, but also sideways. Creating horizontal folds on the curtains will make your room original.
- An excellent option for room decor would be london curtains. They are not as versatile as other models, but they are great as an interesting part. Such products go up and are fixed in this position with the help of special tapes. Often they are painted with an English-style print..
- Rural curtains suitable for bringing home comfort even in city apartments. These curtains have a simple design, straight cut. Usually their length is small, sometimes the structures are fastened on a special cord stretched in the middle of the window. This option gives the room a special charm..
- If the curtains fixed in the middle of the window are supplemented with a small curtain on the upper cornice, it will turn out Cafe style. It is this window design that is supplied with simple prints in the form of flowers or simple figures..
- For rooms with a large area, French curtains. Like the Austrian ones, they involve drapery. But in French models, it is constantly present. The result of creating folds – scallops running vertically along the entire length of the textile product. They allow you not to confuse French design with any other..
- Lovers of airiness and lightness in interior design are perfect crossed models from transparent and translucent flowing fabrics. Such models are two canvases connected at the top edge. Then the canvases form an overlap in the middle and diverge in different directions..
- Another detail of the atmosphere of a cozy village house – hourglass curtains. They are hung on small windows and even on doorways and doors of small cabinets. These curtains are a narrow canvas with geometric patterns. In the middle part, it is tied with decorative ribbons, knots or bows. Often, designs are decorated with additional elements..
- Chinese curtains – a great way to convey oriental flavor. They are usually created from translucent light colored fabrics. The fabric canvases strictly correspond to the size of the window opening. They are equipped with a vertical colored ribbon in the middle. It is very easy to transform such curtains into an assembled state, converting them into a simple roll or into a structure with pleats..
- The same assembly methods are inherent in bamboo curtains. These curtains are presented in the form of a flat cloth, created from intertwined bamboo fibers. This material is environmentally friendly and very original for room decoration..
- Popular prefab models are pleated curtains, which are presented in the form of a folded “accordion” matter. Visually, such curtains are similar to blinds. They are fixed in the opening with a small fastening profile and reliably protect the room from the sun’s rays. The fabric from which such models are made is not prone to fading and will always delight the eye with juicy shades..
- Curtains that look like threads, made from beads, plastic, metal and other materials, often called “rain”. Suitable for both window and doorways, these original products will bring specificity to your interior. They often play a prominent role in design. Such curtains are easy to make yourself, using all your imagination and simple materials at hand..
- A separate type of window decor are blinds. These products look like a set of horizontal or vertical plates located parallel to each other on a common mount. With the help of a lifting, sliding or swiveling mechanism, the plates take different positions, adjusting the intensity of light entering the room. Plates can be made from metal, plastic, wood, fabric, and a variety of other materials..
- The newest curtain models are presented in classic style. Straight canvases located along the edges of the window perfectly match the minimalist concepts that have been very popular lately..
Curtains are classified not only according to the features of the style, but also by the types of fastening.
The most common options for mechanisms are as follows:
- Strings, made from the same fabric as the curtains, they are used to fasten almost all types of products except French and Japanese. They form graceful knots or bows on the cornice, giving the overall window decoration an additional “zest”.
- More restrained is hinge fastening. The loops made of the same textile can be easily put on the cornice and look great in combination with a round design. With the help of loops, emphasis is placed on the vertical ornament of curtains or folds.
- Eyelets, made of plastic or metal – a very laconic and elegant option for attaching curtains. The eyelet window looks very neat, but not boring. The design consists of rings sewn into the curtains, through which the curtains can be easily put on a round cornice. This option is quite often used in rooms decorated in a modern style. If the curtains are attached with eyelets, then they will have vertical folds, the frequency of which depends on the number of rings in the product..
- Straight-cut products are often fastened with drawstring. This method implies the presence of a special pocket in the entire width of the curtains. This pocket is located on the upper border. It is put on the cornice with the formation of gathers. This type of fastening looks presentable only in unusual interiors, where inexpensive fabrics and a calm pattern are acceptable..
- For curtains, an attachment such as curtain tape. It is threaded through the top of the curtain so that, by adjusting the rope, you can independently create folds of the desired length and frequency. The curtain tape is combined with dense fabrics on the curtains, giving the interior solidity and respectability.
- The most common mounting method is use of clips, hooks and clothespins. Any of these attributes are attached first to the ring, and then to the curtain, at regular intervals. This option is the most time consuming process. It is suitable for products made of light material, clothespins may simply not support the weight of bulky curtains.
You will learn more about how to choose a mount and a curtain rod for curtains in the following video..
Whatever style and fastening you choose, remember that they should be combined not only with each other, but also with the fabric from which the curtains will be sewn.
The material plays an important role in the selection of curtains, because it determines the model of fastening..
Among the variety of fabrics from which curtains can be sewn, there are several that are in demand. Natural hypoallergenic fabrics can be of various origins.
- Linen is a durable material that perfectly protects from the sun’s rays. It is used to make curtains and curtains. Fans of eco-style often like to hang single-layer curtains made of linen so that the texture of the material is visible in the light. The fabric is quite capricious to wash and can decrease in size, therefore it is recommended to steam it and leave a certain length in stock.
- An analogue of flax in terms of strength can be cotton. Cotton curtains are often made in combination with polyester, they are more elastic. The disadvantage of such a product will be its tendency to fade. It is recommended to hang such curtains if your windows face north, because the sun does not light up the room as intensely from this side..
The following types are referred to tissues of animal origin:
- Silk – very moody and expensive material. Due to the difficulty in care and instability to damage, it is recommended to choose it for a room where there are no animals or children. Silk curtains look very aesthetically pleasing in the bedroom, giving romance to the atmosphere..
- Wool fibers should be protected from sunlight. Like hair, it will fade with frequent exposure to light..
Synthetic and semi-synthetic fabrics can be found on the textile market much more often:
- Viscose, obtained by chemical processing of natural materials is famous for its greater wear resistance than cotton. Visually, these fabrics are similar, but viscose, especially when combined with polyester, will last much longer.
- Polyester It is mainly used for lining curtains in various fabrics. It prevents excessive exposure to UV rays. In a more modernized version, such a fabric is capable of repelling even water and dirt. Polyester, combined with special filling, forms a lining that serves as insulation for cold and hot air and sounds from the street. The material, with all its positive qualities, can be bought at an affordable price in any curtain or fabric store..
- Blackout became an innovation for those who wish to thoroughly protect themselves from sunlight. It is a dense piece of fabric that is attached to the fabric of the main curtains with hooks or Velcro. The single layer blackout is mainly used to protect the fabric. To significantly darken the room, use 2 layers of fabric, the first of which will be black. In addition to the main types, models are being developed in which dark fabric is enclosed between colored layers decorated in a variety of ornaments..
- In rooms that need to be more illuminated, it is recommended to hang tulle curtains. Delicate fabrics such as batiste, organza or voile are perfect for curtains. They can be decorated with lurex, contrast with thicker curtains or be close to them..
- Tapestry, brocade and muslin – the most unpretentious textile materials. They do not fade in the light, protect the room from the sun, are pleasant to the touch and durable.
Examples in the interior
Despite the variety of textiles, it is recommended to select curtains for each room from a strictly defined range of models so that the textile decor does not look ridiculous.
- For the living room massive tapestries are suitable, because the windows in the hall are often larger than in other rooms. The style of the product can be almost anything. Curtains in Japanese and Austrian styles look especially impressive..
- Bedroom can be decorated with graceful crossed patterns. French, Japanese, and even rope curtains will do. Depending on the overall design of the room, the choice of roller or Roman curtains is not excluded..
- For cabinet blinds can become a universal option. Depending on the restraint of the general situation, these can be fabric or plastic structures. Sometimes they choose wooden blinds, which are designed in the tone of office furniture. The width of the products is determined by the dimensions of the window. Models with large plates will look ridiculous on a miniature window opening..
- Loggia can be equipped with oversized blinds or cozy country-style curtains. Sometimes tulle designs are used as balcony curtains, but they are prone to more pollution..
- Kitchen –another suitable place for rustic models with simple prints. To add an extraordinary ambiance, you can equip your kitchen with Cafe-style curtains. Such a diner-style design will ideally fit into a room where the kitchen area is combined with the eating area..
- To the child’s room curtains made of natural materials are suitable. These can be classic curtains in any bright or light shades, or playful country-style models. It is recommended to choose a curtain up to the window sill or slightly lower. Small children may become interested in long curtains and ruin their presentable appearance during play..
Having an accurate or at least an approximate guideline in the choice of textiles for windows, you can easily decorate any room in your apartment. Remember to apply the universal rules of choice in conjunction with the manifestation of your own personality.. This will help create a truly original interior design..
Curtains should be combined not only with the functions of the room, but also with the style in which it is decorated:
- For pompous classic options Baroque and Rococo products in French, Austrian and Italian styles are perfect. Decorated in pastel colors or lurex, they add a touch of luxury to the environment..
- For modern styles like Minimalism or Loft, classic straight cut curtains, rope models or screens are perfect. The uniformity of any product is important..
- For romantic lovers Provence it is worth taking a closer look at the rustic curtains. If you decorate them with a floral print, then the Provencal concept will be embodied perfectly. If curtains of a similar cut are provided with a checkered ornament, then such products will successfully complement the Country style..
- For direction Hi-tech large windows are characteristic. They can be decorated with Chinese curtains or wide vertical blinds..
- Bamboo curtains fit the concept of eco-design. The presence of natural materials even in the decor will perfectly reflect the essence of the direction in the interior, will be combined in color with almost any shades of wallpaper, furniture and flooring.
When you have familiarized yourself with all the models and options for window textiles, it’s time to highlight a number of rules that will help you not to be mistaken with the choice of curtains:
- Please measure your ceiling height and window size before purchasing. The ceiling determines the permissible length of curtains and the place where the cornice is attached. The size of the window opening determines the width of the curtains, the narrow window does not allow bulky textiles.
- The color of the curtains determines the side that the windows face in the room. The north side is shady, so for such rooms it is better to use warm shades of textiles. The south side allows for a wider range of window colors, including dark and cool shades.
- Interior design sometimes requires the design of special curtain models. If you cannot find a finished product that suits the concept of the room, then make curtains to order..
- When decorating a window, remember that the curtains must be combined with the rest of the textiles in the room: bedspread, napkins, tablecloth, decorative pillows. Curtains can take on both accent and neutral functions..
- Sustainability is important, especially for allergy sufferers and young children. Natural materials are often more expensive than synthetic ones. But their cost is compensated by the genuine beauty of the products and aesthetic pleasure when using them..
- The financial issue cannot be left aside. The price of curtains should be determined by the following factors: the quality of the material from which they are made, the features of tailoring and the complexity of processing, the presence of decorative elements. Remember that expensive items can be very difficult to clean, so read the rules for cleaning and drying each fabric..
- The texture and texture of the material are indicators of how much the curtains will protect the room from sunlight.
Looking out the window is twice as pleasant if it is framed with exquisite textiles..
Curtains are not only a guarantee of coziness and comfort, but also an indicator of your taste. Familiarity with the description and all the variety of models will help you find the potential to perfectly decorate windows in every room of your home..