A mirror is an important element of every home, without which it is impossible to imagine a comfortable life. An ordinary classic mirror in a modern interior seems boring and not interesting. Many designers successfully solve this problem by using mirrors of unusual shapes and using various methods of decorating them. Sandblasting drawings on the mirror will become an original decoration of any interior.
Sandblasting the mirrors transforms the ordinary interior, adding elegance and charm to it. A whimsical pattern on the mirror will become a highlight of the room, and a precisely selected picture will help complete the image and emphasize the style of the room..
Sandblasting is the finishing of the surface of mirrors using abrasive agents and special technologies, as a result of which the treated areas become dull. Often, this type of mirror processing is combined with other techniques, which allows you to create “marble” patterns on the surface, diamond edges, engraving and appliqué.
Sandblasting has a number of advantages:
- artistic value. Thanks to modern technology, you can make a real masterpiece;
- many options. There are many engraving patterns and patterns. This method is good because you can always use both a ready-made drawing and create a sketch of a pattern that only you will have;
- long term of use. The applied image is preserved for many years, while the product remains in its original form. The color and shape of the pattern will not change even under the influence of moisture and temperature;
- practicality. Such a mirror does not require any special maintenance. In addition, modern cleaning products allow you to remove dirt without much difficulty..
Sandblasting mirrors has not only advantages but also disadvantages. These include the moment that high-quality processing requires a qualified specialist, who is not easy to find in our time.
Types of processing
There are several options for working with sand on a mirror:
- Deep sandblasting. This type has a special authenticity. It is also sometimes called figured or volumetric sandblasting. Regardless of which drawing was applied, it will always look like a white sculpture enclosed inside a mirror. Deep sandblasting can be applied both from the front side of the mirror and from the amalgam side. The latter can be colored and performed using multi-colored enamel. This color processing is used to create colored, luminous, shimmering paintings, making the drawing appear more realistic..
- Colored sandblasting refers to traditional sandblasting combined with painting. This method is quite simple and affordable..
- Sandblast printing. This type of processing allows you to create unique, exclusive designs. The images on the mirror seem light and airy. This effect is achieved through a combination of transparent and matte backgrounds..
- Sand cutting (or engraving) allows you to create a bright pattern on the mirror, drawing very small details is possible. The engraving method is suitable for cutting complex shapes, volumetric patterns. The finished result can be compared to a sculpture in glass. Engraving requires special professionalism and high artistic skills..
- Photo printing on a mirror. This type of finishing became possible due to the combination of the first three types. It is known that mirrors expand space, and photo printing allows you to add your originality and novelty. Photo-printed mirrors have been one of the most demanded processing methods for several years..
Sandblasting technology is the treatment of a mirror surface with compressed air with sand, as a result of which a flat, matte or embossed image is formed on the mirror surface.
It should be noted that the sandblasting technique dates back to the end of the 19th century. Today it is widely used in the production of furniture products, the creation of stained-glass windows, decorating tabletops and ceilings. The original drawing is able to turn an ordinary mirror into a real masterpiece that causes delight.
Sandblasting technology is the removal of the top layer of the mirror by using abrasive agents. At first glance, it seems that this process is very simple and straightforward. However, the technique of applying a sandblasting pattern requires skills and experience, which is why it is important to contact professional specialists who know all the nuances and subtleties of applying sandblasting.
Surface matting can be done in two ways:
- over the entire surface of the mirror;
It should be noted that the matting of individual surface areas is carried out according to a template. Also, the pattern can be applied on a smooth surface in the form of a matte image, or it can be smooth and transparent, while the surface of the product will be matte.
Processing is allowed on both sides of the product and can be superficial, in-depth or double-sided. There are also several levels of graininess in the image. Coarse grain gives the pattern relief and volume, but fine grain is used to convey the texture of the sketch..
It is worth noting that applying a pattern using the fine grain technique allows you to achieve a “velvet” effect. It is mainly used for drawing detailed patterns. Such mirrors look amazing in the interior, and the “velvet” pattern fits into any style.
Sandblasting is carried out in several stages:
- choice of pattern;
- stencil creation;
- preliminary preparation of the product surface;
- fixing the stencil;
- direct processing of a mirror surface by means of a directed jet of air with sand;
- fixing the image with an abrasive varnish, which provides protection and facilitates the use of the product.
There are many variations of sandblasting drawings, various in theme and style. You can choose a universal pattern that will look good in any interior. Or you can create a sketch based on individual wishes and taste preferences.
Depending on the technique, the following options for sandblasting patterns are distinguished:
- simple – in the process of applying the image, only 1 mm of the top layer is removed. Uncomplicated drawings are usually used: rhombuses, lines, stencil patterns;
- volumetric – the cut-in of the picture is carried out to a depth of 3 mm, suitable for mirrors with a thickness of 6 mm. The pattern is distinguished by a matte finish, relief and volume. Landscapes look good, individual sketches are often used;
- colored – an original and unusual way to decorate a mirror. One or more shades are applied. Floral motives, drawings of animals, nature are very popular;
- combined – a special application technology is used, which combines several processing methods. As a result, it is possible to create plot drawings that are particularly realistic..
Modern technologies make it possible to vary the dullness of the pattern by changing the pressure of the air-sand jet. Thus, the color of the pattern can be milky white or smoky, barely visible on the surface of the mirror. The texture of the pattern is also different: the lines of the pattern can be clear and thin, easily visible on a smooth surface, or they can remain translucent with a completely rough base (inverse pattern).
Very often, designers suggest enhancing the visual effect of sandblasted images with additional lighting. To do this, use end lighting, spotlights or LED strip. The luminaire can also be located behind the mirror. You can add effect to this pattern by removing the amalgam from the back of the mirror..
Illumination for mirrors is a versatile way to enliven the interior, dilute the space with light. It will be indispensable in the bathroom, hallway, living room. With its help, it is easy to create coziness and add romance to the interior. Such products will be the focus of attention of all the inhabitants of the house and guests..
How to choose?
Sandblasted mirrors are perfect for both the bedroom and the living room. The main thing is to choose the right drawing, suitable for the style of the entire interior..
A wardrobe with a delicate floral pattern is suitable for a bedroom; such furniture looks especially good in small apartments. Floral motifs, patterns with flower petals, small landscapes, drawings in the form of arches and frames are suitable for decorating mirrors in the bedroom..
In the children’s room, cartoon characters can settle on the mirror. The marine theme, drawings of animals, stories from fairy tales look interesting. A mirror in the hallway or in the hallway can be decorated with an abstract pattern. Natural themes will be appropriate: mountains, water, stones. The drawing looks original “under the metal”, bronze and gilding.
When choosing a color pattern, the shades of the pattern must be matched to the interior.
Following the care recommendations, mirrors with this decor will not be difficult to use..
When light dirt appears, wipe the mirror surface with a soft sponge or cotton cloth. Stubborn dirt can be easily removed with a special cleaning liquid. When choosing a detergent, avoid formulations with a high percentage of acidity. At the end of the procedure, the mirror can be wiped with a moisture-absorbent cloth.
Installation of mirrors with a sandblasted pattern is only suitable for heated rooms with a humidity not higher than 70%.
To make the product last as long as possible, you should avoid getting fatty compounds on its surface. It is also easy to damage the drawing with sharp objects. Despite the fact that the process of decorating mirrors with sandblasting is laborious and complex, such products do not differ in an affordable price.
Beautiful ideas in the interior
For classic-style bedrooms, large mirrors with various geometric patterns are suitable..
Drawings look especially beautiful on bronze, silver, gold plating.
Mirrors with a pattern for living rooms are better to choose with a partially tinted pattern..
In the hallway, products with a sandblasted pattern of an unusual shape look beautiful.
Children’s room is a place where you can give free rein to imagination.
It’s hard to imagine a modern bathroom without an original mirror.
See below for more details.