Entrance doors mean the “face” of the home. They should combine a guarantee of safety and a pleasant appearance, since it is from them that the first impression of the interior and the owners of the house is created, they also ensure the safety and security of household members and their belongings. Recently, designs with glass inserts have become popular. It would seem that fragile glass is the worst for protection. However, thanks to modern technology, it has become possible to combine the strength and elegant appearance of this material..
The following requirements are imposed on the entrance doors:
- Reliability (burglar resistance). There are 4 classes of burglary resistance. The most unreliable is the first class, these doors can be opened with any tool. The fourth class includes structures made of special materials, which are much better than conventional ones in terms of strength characteristics. They are bulletproof and resistant to external influences. The strength and, consequently, the reliability of the entire structure consists of individual elements – door leaf, frame and fittings.
- Heat insulation and sound absorption. These characteristics depend entirely on the materials used in the design of the product..
- Appearance. Various materials and technologies are used for decoration. Finishing makes a significant contribution to the cost of the future product.
There is an opinion that a door leaf with a glass insert is not reliable enough, however, the compliance of a product with the above requirements depends not only on the materials used, but also on the design of the entire system. Let’s list the advantages of doors with a glass insert:
- Natural light source. The presence of a glass insert will allow you not to use constant lighting in dark hallways. In addition, a glazed door can be an excellent alternative to a window, if there is none. In a country house, the presence of such a window will allow you to observe part of the yard from the house.
- Security. The use of doors with glass inserts allows security guards to observe people without getting up from their seats. This is especially true for airports and shops..
- Appearance. Glass is a material that can be decorated in many different ways. This will make your front door look memorable and elegant..
- Price. Models with glass inserts are much more expensive than similar options without them.
- Complexity of installation. Installation of door leaves with a glass insert is somewhat more difficult than installing simple doors, since it also requires the installation of a glass part.
Entrance doors with glass are distinguished by several characteristics..
- Of the general. Produced for private use, i.e. for apartment buildings, offices, cottages. There are no special requirements here, except for the wishes of the buyer and the size of the opening. These products are distinguished by the variety of options available on the market for appearance, reliability and thermal insulation characteristics..
- Special. This group includes fire-prevention and safe door designs. They have special requirements. For example, fire protection products do not burn. As the temperature rises, the built-in circuit swells and fills the gap between the door leaf and the frame, which prevents the movement of fire and smoke.
- Swing. The most popular option, which is presented in almost every home. In this case, the door opens only in one direction..
- Pendulum models can be opened in both directions.
- Sliding. They are represented by two sliding doors. The main advantage of the design is its high carrying capacity, which determined their use in hypermarkets, airports, and in crowded places. An additional plus is the absence of the need to open such doors – people often go with luggage or purchases and are unable to open it on their own. In addition, such structures are very economical in use of space..
- Revolving. Systems that have multiple leaves, usually two or four, and rotate manually or automatically on the main shaft. Like sliding ones, they are used in crowded areas and have similar characteristics. However, they take up much more space than sliding ones, which makes it possible to use them only in large-scale buildings. Small shop will look silly with revolving doors.
- single-leaf – the most common and reliable;
- bivalves – symmetrical and asymmetrical;
- one and a half;
- arched – can be either single or double leaf;
- with a transom (for example, with glass on the sides).
By the way of glass insertion:
- Glass sheet in a frame.
- Cloth with glass inserts. They can be different in shape, but they occupy only a part of the entire door leaf..
Doors are made from the following materials:
A popular and very common building material. On sale there are wooden doors of various price categories, it depends on the design. They are made of the following types:
- From an array. Solid wood is a solid piece of wood, therefore solid wood products are considered the most durable of wooden doors, since wood is used for their manufacture from valuable types of wood with the highest strength characteristics (oak, ash, maple, beech, mahogany, walnut, and others ). Such doors are distinguished by their high cost.
- Paneled. A panel is called an insert into the canvas. It is thinner than the main frame, which gives the whole product an interesting look. Such doors are made from both precious woods (teak, beech, cherry, mahogany), and from a combination of various materials to reduce cost. So, on sale you can find doors made of MDF sheets, plywood and chipboard.
- Glued. They are made from several layers of wood glued together. This method of production is cheaper than solid wood products, since it allows you to combine different types of wood. Expensive and outwardly beautiful varieties go to the outer layer, and cheap and durable ones to the inner layer..
- Shield. The structure consists of shields, which can be solid or empty. Solid are glued wooden slats or chipboard. Blanks are made from the same materials as solid ones, but at the same time they can have corrugated cardboard filler. The outer surfaces of such doors are clad with plastic, fiberboard or veneer. To increase the reliability of such doors, an internal metal frame can be used..
The advantages of wooden structures are high levels of sound and heat insulation, low weight, and excellent appearance. Wood products do not need decoration – the natural texture will perfectly fit into any interior, however, they are inferior to metal products in terms of strength and burglary resistance.
Plastic does not have sufficient strength, therefore, in the manufacture of plastic doors, a metal frame is used. Such products are called metal-plastic. PVC doors have high performance and have good strength, long service life, resistance to negative environmental factors and easy maintenance. Plastic options win in terms of sound and thermal insulation, operational characteristics, cost, however, like wooden ones, they are significantly inferior to steel structures in strength and reliability.
There are three types of metal entrance doors:
- Reinforced-plastic structures. They were described above – they are a plastic profile reinforced with aluminum.
- Aluminum structures are a glass sheet in an aluminum frame. Most often they are produced in the form of sliding doors. Due to their low strength and reliability, they are rarely used in crowded places..
- Steel structures. They are distinguished by their reliability and durability. We will pay special attention to this type..
Any steel door is a steel frame and a door with internal stiffeners. Hinges are welded to the frame to hold the door. Steel doors differ in the following ways:
- Bulletproof or armored. They are made of steel sheets with a thickness of 5 cm and more and are equipped with stiffening ribs and internal armor plates. Initially, they were intended for banking institutions, but now they are actively installed in residential apartments.
- Fireproof. The fundamental difference from all other doors is the ability to contain poisonous smoke and fire for some time. In the manufacture of steel sheets with a thickness of 2 cm or more are used. Like armored doors, previously they were used only in technical rooms. Today, they are often installed in the case of the neighborhood of residential premises with non-residential.
- Technical. They are distinguished by a high class of burglary resistance, as they are intended for technical premises that require the most reliable protection. As with all special-purpose doors, functionality plays a big role here, not appearance..
- Frost resistant. Warm doors with thermal break. Their difference from conventional insulated structures is that their inner and outer parts are separated by a material with low thermal conductivity. They are not susceptible to freezing, retain heat well, condensation does not form on them and their sound insulation rate is also higher.
- Classic. Doors that are most often installed in ordinary apartments and houses. The thickness of the steel sheets used varies from 1.5 to 2.5 cm. They are distinguished by numerous options for external finishes.
According to the shape of the box:
- composite (possible options U-shape, angular).
By the number of sheets:
According to the materials of external finishing:
- wood (veneer, wood panels, solid wood, MDF, laminate);
- artificial (PVC, leatherette, artificial leather);
- iron (with forging);
- glass (mirrors).
The following security elements are used in the production of doors:
- The lock can be protected by a plate that prevents it from being cut.
- Anti-removable anchors are designed to hold the door in case of knocked down hinges.
- Platbands make the gap between the door frame and the opening inaccessible.
- The porches cover the space between the inner side of the frame and the door and represent the door leaf protruding outward.
- Locks come in various designs – hinged, overhead, mortise.
- Deviators or crossbars will not allow to bend the door leaf during burglary.
A street door has the same requirements for the glass insert material as for all other materials – impact resistance, fire resistance, tightness and good thermal insulation. In this regard, new technologies for the production of glass were proposed and mastered..
The following types of glass are used in modern production of entrance doors:
- Heat treated tempered glass. It has higher strength and heat resistance, moreover, when destroyed, it breaks into many fragments with blunt edges, which are unable to cause significant damage. The disadvantage of such glass is the impossibility of processing – tempered glass cannot be cut and has a weakness for direct butt impacts.
- Reinforced glass is a composite material and is an ordinary glass containing a metal mesh in its volume. Such glass not only has a higher burglary resistance index compared to ordinary glass, but also a higher safety index, since it keeps its shape similar to triplex when broken..
- Triplex or laminated glass – multilayer fabric with a polymer film interlayer, made by pressing with heating. The main advantage is durability. It is very difficult to damage the material intentionally, not to mention accidental damage. In addition, when destroyed, the triplex retains its shape without falling apart into many small pieces, which makes it the safest of the materials used. A great option for a room in which children will live.
- Polycarbonate glass – polymer material, made in the form of sheets and has excellent performance characteristics: lightness, low thermal conductivity, fire safety. The main advantage of polycarbonate is its ease of processing combined with durability. Polycarbonate is a godsend for designers – it can be laser engraved on its surface and give it any shape.
Glasses also differ in appearance:
- colored or tinted;
- stained glass;
- decorated with carving, photo printing, engraving.
Doors with transparent glass visually increase the space, raise the ceiling. Frosted and stained glass are perfect for those who do not want to put their lives on display. Colored, like stained glass options, fit perfectly into a modern interior, and sometimes become its highlight. It should be noted that corrugated glass options have the best sound insulation performance..
When buying a door, you should pay attention to its color and design, as it should be combined with the interior of the hallway. Let’s turn to the advice of professionals and consider the most popular possible color solutions..
Experts offer the following color options:
- The floor of the hallway should be several shades darker than the interior door trim. Compliance with this rule will emphasize harmony in the interior..
- Doors made from dark woods combined with light floors will accentuate the elegance of the interior, as does the skirting board in the color of the door..
- The coziness of the room will be given by the floor and doors made in the same color scheme..
- For lovers of risky decisions, bright doors are suitable. They can be combined with elements of furniture or decor..
Note that dark shades visually reduce the space. Light shades, on the contrary, expand and create the illusion of a larger room volume than it actually is..
The most commonly available colors on the market are:
- Beige. They are neutral and suitable for almost any interior. However, when choosing, pay attention to the reddish tone that stands out through the main color. The best options would be golden or soft beige colors..
- Dark. These shades will emphasize the nobility and luxury of the interior. Please note that dark shades should not be used as a contrasting pair in the interior..
- Light. Light colors often include a bright palette: orange, brown, yellow, blue. Pay special attention to color combinations, for example, yellow does not go well with cold shades. When choosing a door in a bright shade, remember that over time it can become annoying, and also does not always fit the new interior of the hallway or veranda..
- White. The use of this color in the interior presupposes a thoughtful design. Please note that it does not blend well with dark woods, it often looks tasteless, although there are exceptions. A stylish solution will be a light laminate to match the door. White is perfect for doors from the kitchen to the street.
- Gray. Refers to cold tones. The most successful combinations are obtained when choosing a door and a laminate in the same color. In this case, the door should be a couple of shades lighter than the laminate.
- Combinations of the above colors. In this case, you can choose a laminate made in several colors. In this case, the door can be selected from any of the shades found in the laminate..
On the Russian market, there are a large number of entrance doors of domestic, European, and Chinese production. Domestic products have a high strength and reasonable cost. There are various ready-made models on the market, while the practice of making custom-made doors is very common. In the reviews, users note the advantage of Russian manufacturers – the availability of a service that involves the departure of employees to the site for measurements and installation.
European-made doors are distinguished not only by their quality, but also by their high cost. Please note that cheap doors disguised as a European manufacturer may turn out to be fake. European manufacturers offer doors of 3 class of burglary resistance with various options for external decor. Thanks to branches located in Russia, you will not have to overpay for transportation when buying.
Chinese goods are of low cost and inadequate quality. In the production of Chinese entrance doors, steel sheets with a thickness of 0.5 mm or more are used, which cannot have a sufficiently high class of burglary resistance. When buying, carefully study the offered product, inquire about the thickness of the sheets used, accessories. Only with complete information make a purchase decision.
As an example for doors from Chinese manufacturers, Belarusian doors demonstrate high strength and durability indicators, since steel sheets from 2 mm are used in their manufacture. This provided recognition and popularity to the Belarusian doors. The shops have doors with a wide variety of finishes..
It is better to see once than hear a hundred times. Consider beautiful examples of the design of entrance doors with glass in the interior.
An arched opening can be decorated with a transom and a double door. The combination of forged metal and glass looks elegant and sophisticated. And the unusual transom in the form of an arch makes the door design complete and perfect..
Nearby – an option suitable for a more modern interior – nothing superfluous: one color, straight lines, transparent glass. The color of the door contrasts with the overall color scheme and attracts attention..
In the case when beauty is a priority, you can put two doors: external and internal. The outer door will play the role of a decorative element, and the inner one will ensure the safety and protection of the home..
The doors to the veranda are single-leaf with a transom on the side, which allows you to see what is happening on the street. The doors from the veranda to the street are made with a glass insert and a lattice. The latter performs not only a decorative function, but also a protective.
Usually the use of glass of the same type is assumed, but no one excludes the possibility of their combination. The photo shows a door with several holes, into which various types of glass are inserted: colored, corrugated, frosted, mirror. This mosaic looks very interesting and ingenious..
Another photo shows the original version of the steel door. The grill on both sides performs a protective and decorative function, and the glass between them is sound and heat insulating. Steel perfectly adjoins glass, which is presented in this example. In combination with glass, metal loses its heaviness and acquires an unusual lightness for it..
An unusual transom will become a highlight not only for the appearance of the door, but for the whole house. The photo shows an unconventional transom, it is 3/4 of a circle, only half of which is above the door. A glass insert on the door allows you to continue the transom design. It looks fabulous and promising. The color scheme of the door, its unusual elements and the pattern on the glass add a touch of a fairy tale to the whole composition. A similar design is suitable for the entrance doors of cafes, restaurants or apartments of very creative people..
Here is a simple door, but the unusual color combined with stained glass gives a completely unexpected result. An interesting drawing attracts the eye, and an asymmetrical transom, also made in stained glass, adds integrity and completeness to the image.
Nearby is another example of the use of bright colors. Such a door will definitely attract the attention of all passers-by. Unlike the previous version, the transom here is made symmetrically. However, all this would not have looked so interesting without the pattern on the glass. In addition, inserts of different shapes repeat this pattern in their own way and emphasize it..
The front door is not changed so often, so the effort spent in choosing it will not be wasted. Reliable and durable, original and beautiful, it will delight for many years.
For information on how to install an entrance door with glass and forging, see the following video.