Surely as a child, everyone dreamed of their own hidden invisible room. But it was practically impossible to realize this dream, because some kind of door that cannot be hidden must lead to this room. If you are still interested in this idea, pay attention to hidden doors – a modern design solution, thanks to which you can not only hide your corner from prying eyes, but also advantageously decorate the interior..
Invisible doors are made from completely different materials – acrylic, glass, wood, PVC, metal, you can also find it in drywall – and each of these options has its own advantages and disadvantages. So, for example, PVC doors are classically equipped with a double-glazed window or closed with a panel (perhaps you could see them on someone’s balcony). Perhaps their main drawback is not particularly invisible appearance, it can be very, very difficult to hide them.
Aluminum is difficult to process and paint. Glass, by the way, are durable – due to professional processing, they are not scratched and easy to clean; it is no longer the fragile glass from which the glasses and wine glasses that stand on your shelves are made. Such doors are made of thick tempered glass and covered with an impact-resistant film..
Of course, yes, the secrecy of such a door may be questionable due to its transparency – however, this problem can be solved with tinting films or the correct design
From above they are covered with acrylic, amalgam mirror, often just varnished. Often such doors are pasted over with wallpaper or painted in the shade of the walls., which allows you to make them well, completely invisible:
- Doors with hidden boxes immediately putty and matched directly to the interior, therefore they can be completely invisible in the wall – only a thin outline is visible. Additionally, they are subdivided into one-sided, invisible on one side, and two-sided, which are invisible from both sides. As a rule, the latter are less often asked for, because they take up more space (along the partitions between rooms from 75-100 mm) and are more difficult to assemble. And, as a rule, the door is hidden only from the entrance side..
- Doors with hidden boxes for finishing in production only primed, in fact, they are a canvas that you need to independently decorate, paint and putty.
Also, hidden doors are divided according to the system of mechanisms:
- Swing design. The cheapest option is, in fact, an ordinary swing door, just less noticeable, less prominent from the wall. Only a handle, a lock or an eye-catching thin outline can give it out..
- Roto doors. Quite an expensive option, perhaps the most expensive of the presented, but also attracting the greatest interest. In general, roto-doors are swing doors, whose mechanism is very similar to that of turnstiles in the subway. The canvas, in fact, simply rotates around its axis on a hinge. It is very convenient to open them – you can just push with your shoulder and gently tumble into the room, which is undoubtedly very convenient in relation to hidden doors, because no handles are required here that could be noticeable. Most often, they are completely equipped with a magnetic lock, which guarantees tightness.
Roto doors open in both directions and require half the space that a classic swing door would require. Noiseless.
- Pendulum structure. Medium in price, based on hidden rotary mechanisms that allow the canvas to open in different directions. They are very similar in appearance to roto-doors, but there is one important difference – all swing doors are installed directly into awnings, which are mounted in the lower and upper part of the doorway. The awnings function as a spring axial mechanism, the axis of rotation of which allows the door leaf to rotate even in a circle. Sheds are also different – with and without closers. In the case of hidden doors, the option with door closers is preferable, because the closing occurs automatically due to the presence of a special spring mechanism.
It is pendulum doors that are most often installed in large supermarkets, and, based on this, one can imagine how well this design will look in a hidden version. By the way, these doors are not particularly soundproof..
- Sliding structure, or cassette mechanism, door with cassette. Differs in the presence of a special case for sliding doors and hidden hinges. A pencil case is a box that is mounted into the wall, and the door hides inside it, or rather, slides inside the wall into which it is installed. Due to this, the door leaf does not swing back and forth, but quietly goes to the side. This saves space, which is especially important in small rooms and apartments, as well as time, because they are installed as easily as possible. Such structures perfectly absorb noise and silently close and open, they can be both mechanical and electrical. They stand quite democratically.
Additionally, hidden doors are subdivided into single-leaf and multi-leaf. Multi-leaf ones can open in different directions, hide in one side or in different directions, and have from two to an infinite number of leaves, while single-leaf ones rotate in only one side and only one leaf..
Hidden doors can be of any size – even as high as the ceiling, as wide as a whole arch.
The invisible door will be simply irreplaceable if you have a room to which you need to restrict access – for example, if this is your art workshop, an office for privacy, or if you have a safe, hiding place or something similar. And you can always hide from prying eyes..
Such doors are also capable of competently zoning the apartment and expanding the space in general, allowing you to save it, which is why they are often used in small houses. Moreover, they guarantee safety for children – the likelihood of the baby flying in or hitting it is minimal..
Of course, one cannot fail to mention what kind of zest such a door brings to the interior. He immediately becomes extraordinary and creative, simplicity disappears – even if none of the guests notices visible changes, you know that you have a little secret in your house. This is also a good reason to brag: your friends will be surprised to learn that the rest room is hidden behind the mirror, and by simply pushing the shelf of the closet, you can get to the balcony!
However, speaking of the advantages, one cannot but mention the disadvantages, although there are only a minimal number of them – in fact, there is only one disadvantage. The first and the last is, of course, the price – installing a whole hidden structure will be more expensive than installing an ordinary average door, after all, more skill is required for this, and the design itself is more expensive.
Features of installation when installing an invisible door
When installing a hidden door, its design must be taken into account. For example, in the case of a hidden box, it is installed on hidden hinges in this very special box – a pencil case. Platbands are not needed for any design of a hidden door with a pencil case, because its base is an aluminum frame, on which, parallel to the wall, the same hidden hinges are installed.
Regarding the swing door, we can say that the door closer and the door closer of the lower part of the doorway should be located in different directions, because such doors open in a circle.
In order to make an ordinary interior door invisible, two methods can also be used:
- First, radical enough. It is associated in some cases with the supporting structures of the room itself. It consists in the fact that a free space is made in the wall for the installation of this very hidden structure. The option is not the most convenient, as it requires a lot of trouble, skill, time, and can also eat up space in the corridor due to the fact that you have to finish building an additional wall there..
- Second, simple and fast. It consists in wall mounting without cutting out the space of the mechanism in the box or without. It can be used with the use of doors with a hidden pencil case, and with roto-doors, doors with a pendulum mechanism, especially popular in the case of sliding doors. Also, immediately before deciding to install such a door, you should check the evenness and smoothness of the walls, floor and ceiling. In the case of hidden doors, this is a matter of principle, because if the smoothness is not ideal, then the doors can cling to the surface when opening..
If you want to turn even an invisible door into a noticeable piece of interior, you can always use the usual methods of decoration – paste over with stand-out wallpaper (contrasting with the color of the wall wallpaper, with drawings or patterns, photo wallpaper), drape with a furniture stapler with a cloth, choose for painting or pasting with stickers (whatever you like, or self-adhesive paper). Separate mention is the decoupage technique (cut out parts are attached to the base), decoration with moldings and mosaic.
There is also a completely opposite trend regarding decorating hidden doors. They can be decorated so that they are completely invisible..
This can be fully achieved in several ways, the main goal of each of which is to merge with the environment:
- Under the curtain. This is especially popular in country or Provence country interiors, as well as in the classics with its heavy voluminous curtains. It is absolutely not necessary for this to turn the door into a window – you can hang a picture on it, and hang it with beautiful flowing curtains on the sides. Or, which is especially welcome in classic interiors, place curtains or curtains falling in waves along the entire wall, and somewhere there, under this fabric, the entrance to your secret room will be located. It can also be placed under a screen..
- Under the wall. Painted to match the wall, tiled or pasted over with the same wallpaper as on the walls, the door is able to completely merge with the interior, and you don’t even have to spend extra money on any design items. The only thing you need to pay attention to is the handle. The classic volumetric will be too noticeable, it is proposed to stop your attention on the same hidden or flat door handles that open the doors with one click, or electric mechanisms.
- Under the mirror. In this case, the door is either sheathed with mirror material, or a separate mirror is simply hung on it – in full growth or in half of it, it already depends on how much you want to hide.
- Under the cabinet. In such a case, opening the door can be a little more difficult because the cabinet itself is heavier than the curtain or mirror. Therefore, it is not recommended, firstly, to ask to install a voluminous cabinet – after all, a cabinet of its size is enough to hide the door, too wide or high will make it difficult to pass through and constantly knock on the walls. And, secondly, you should not load this cabinet with things, again, in order to open the door without unnecessary noise..
As a rule, such chests of drawers have a purely concealing, one might say, decorative role, and they are not particularly cluttered with things – although, of course, you can put a few books or office supplies there..
Application in the interior
As a rule, such a door is ordered as an interroom door for any personal room – a bedroom, an office, a workshop. For walk-through rooms, it is completely unsuitable in terms of functionality – all the more, guests should not wander in search of a bathroom or dining room; it is at least impolite on your part to force them to do this..
This design phenomenon has received a special application in children’s rooms, because a hidden room in which you can create whatever you want and not be found is the dream of every child. It will be very caring on your part and in general it will be amazing to organize a hidden room for your baby – the main thing is, remember for yourself where his bedroom is, so that he does not do anything dangerous.
Judging by the reviews, a secret door is also often used in parental bedrooms. This is especially true for large houses or houses that are often visited by guests. Still, the bedroom is a personal matter, and you can’t let anyone in there, so the idea of secrecy is more than relevant here. It is also possible when the door to the bedroom is completely ordinary, not hidden, but in order not to clutter up the space, the dressing room, pantry or office is already hidden behind a hidden.
Offices and workshops are hidden, in fact, very often, because the people who spend their time here, as a rule, are intellectual workers or creators – artists, writers – and often both. And for their work, they need, firstly, privacy, and, secondly, the confidence that their creations will not be seen ahead of time.
You can kill two birds with one stone and install a mirrored secret door in your house. On the one hand, it will play the role of a full-length mirror, which is never superfluous, and on the other, it will be an entrance that no one will ever think about..
You can learn more about invisible doors with a hidden frame without platbands from the following video.