The bay window is both a decoration of the house and its “weak point”. In old houses, this space is usually not insulated, so when choosing a cornice, this important detail has to be taken into account. In addition, the unusual geometric shape of the bay window imposes certain restrictions on the choice of the cornice..
Features and Benefits
The bay window is a figured protrusion of the wall, which remains part of the room. It can be of various geometric shapes: semicircular, trapezoidal and so on.
The bay window design itself has both advantages and disadvantages. If we consider a bay window in an old building, bay window niches are characterized by an insufficient heating level, as a result of which humidity and temperature fluctuate in this part. Such fluctuations are bad for many materials of cornices, and therefore their choice will be limited..
The bay window is characterized by an unusual panoramic shape, so you will have to choose a cornice, taking into account this feature.. Bay window cornices for curtains can either repeat the shape, smoothly bending along the entire length of the niche, or consist of several straight lines. The first option is preferable in cases where there is no need to draw attention to the curtains and the unusual shape of the window, while the second allows you to make the bay window an accent of the composition, highlighting it.
The choice in favor of specialized bay window cornices will allow you to decorate a room with an unusual geometric shape, balance its proportions and emphasize unusual elements in an original way. Such designs allow you to let more light into the room. Thanks to them, you can allocate a minimum of useful space for curtains, while the entire interior composition will remain harmonious and complete..
By emphasizing the bay window with a special cornice, it will turn out to create a cozy atmosphere in the room. The choice in favor of dense fabrics for curtains will protect against drafts and will slightly smooth out the lack of heating in this part of the house..
Bay window cornices are divided into two large groups by location:
Wall option selected for rooms with high ceilings and non-panoramic windows. It allows you to focus on the unusual design of the cornice. Also, the choice in favor of a wall structure is made in cases where it is not possible to hang the ceiling model..
Ceiling cornices allow you to visually increase the height of the ceiling. They are an excellent choice for small rooms. Most often, ceiling models are hidden under curtains, so they are made in a simple design and are inexpensive..
A half-window window is a structure similar to a bay window, however, on one side, such an unevenness rests against the wall. For a half-window, ceiling models of cornices are mainly selected, since it was made in small-sized apartments, the height of the ceilings of which leaves much to be desired.
According to their plasticity, cornices are divided into rigid and flexible:
- Hard cornice is assembled from several elements connected by fasteners and is used in the design of bay windows with pronounced corners. It consists of several straight parts, which are separated from each other only at the corner joints. Such models are usually made of durable solid materials, and are installed on the wall. Serves more as a decorative function than just a holder for curtains.
- Flexible cornice suitable for round bay windows and in cases where corners need to be softened. The profiles are deformed initially, after which the bent elements are attached to their designated place; it is possible to correct bends directly during installation. Most often, flexible models are installed on the ceiling and serve only as a mount for curtains, then they are decorated with lambrequins or bandos. There are also options equipped with a strip with hoods (special patterns on the strip covering the junction of curtains and cornice). In this case, we can talk about the aesthetic component of the model..
Bay window curtain rods are made from the same elements as conventional products:
- The most popular are plastic models.. They are lightweight so you can even attach them to the ceiling yourself. Plastic bends well, making it possible to create various curved structures. In addition, plastic curtain rods are distinguished by a rather low price, which makes the choice in their favor even more attractive. Plastic profiles are up to 870 mm wide, depending on the number of rows for attaching curtains (they can be single or multi-row). The profile itself is produced up to 10 m in length. The disadvantages of this type include the inability to withstand dense curtains made of heavy fabric. The structures are not designed for the heavy weight of the curtains. Also, plastic does not have a high decorative filling, so it is recommended to choose hidden cornices (for example, baguette ones).
- Metal models differ in both the type of attachment and the material. Flexible profiles are often made from aluminum. The high strength of such structures makes them more attractive than plastic ones while maintaining the price at the same level. Aluminum bends well, so it is possible to simulate curves for almost any bay window. The maximum bend is 95 degrees. Aluminum models are convenient for self-installation, since you can adjust their length by simply sawing off the excess part with an ordinary hacksaw. If you need to focus on an unusual detail, you should choose a wall-mounted tubular cornice made of metal. They are very durable and come in a huge assortment, from regular smooth booms to forged models with an interesting section. The ability to choose different locking tips opens up a huge scope for the decorator’s imagination..
Tubular models are of the rigid type, so it is necessary to calculate the required number of fasteners.
- When you need to mount the cornice into the wall, while leaving it as invisible as possible, it is better to choose string cornice. It is made of a metal cable that is fixed with special fasteners and stretched. Such a string is designed for a large weight, but the elements twisting it under heavy weight weaken and the cornice can bend.
- Wooden tubular cornices the most expensive today. They are made from precious woods. Bay window models are made to order only, so you need to think about their location in advance and discuss with a specialist the possibility of fixing them. Wooden options are heavy and bulky enough that they are only suitable for mounting on walls made of sturdy materials.
When installing bay window curtain rods, you often need to buy additional parts that are not included in the standard package:
- Bay window connector used when the connection of metal guide pipes must be carried out in a straight line.
- Bay window adapter serves to connect pipes in the corners, while it is allowed to adjust the angle of the adapter itself and fix it with a screw.
Details are presented in various colors and can be matched to any shade or coating of the cornice rod.
How to choose?
To choose the best option, it is necessary to take into account the structure of the room, the peculiarities of its shape, the climatic conditions in the room and the style of the interior.. It is also important to calculate in advance the budget that is allowed to spend on the installation of the cornice:
- Please note that in the case of stretch, suspended or plasterboard ceilings the installation of a ceiling cornice must be planned even before the installation of the ceiling itself. In the case of such fragile ceiling coverings, the base under the cornice should be sealed with a wooden beam..
- For rooms with low ceilings it is preferable to install a ceiling or wall string cornice, since classic wall structures will “steal” additional centimeters of height, making the room even smaller than it actually is.
- For a bay window or a half-window of a multifaceted shape do not choose a flexible profile. It will be more profitable to emphasize the unusual design using a tubular wall cornice.
The style of the room also imposes certain obligations. For bay windows decorated in a modern style, it is more logical to choose ceiling structures. The string version will also fit harmoniously into the interior. However, for classic interiors, it is more logical to choose a traditional wall cornice or ceiling molding. An interesting finish will perfectly complement the overall composition.
When choosing a material, you must focus on the conditions of the room. If your bay window is sufficiently insulated, does not differ in high humidity or strong temperature changes, you can choose wooden cornices. If you are not sure about the stable microclimate in the bay window extension, opt for plastic models..
Metal curtain rods should be installed only in dry rooms. This will prevent corrosion of the metal and damage to its appearance in the future..
How to install correctly?
The rules for installing bay window models are the same as for conventional ones.. When installing the eaves, adhere to the following rules:
- For ceiling curtain rods on fragile coatings the ceiling must first be reinforced with a beam. If this was not done at the stage of installing the ceiling, it is better to opt for wall models. The step of fixing the ceiling options is 40 cm.Depending on the density and weight of the curtains, this value may vary.
- Wall mounts require installation additional brackets every 150-200 cm, as well as at each of the kinks.
- Don’t forget to think about curtain bindings.. Ceiling models allow you to hang the cornice so that it does not interfere with the free movement of the curtains. Curtains for wall cornice are best equipped with rings that are open on the inside. They will allow the curtains to glide smoothly, bypassing the clips.
For information on how to install a flexible version of the ceiling cornice for a bay window, see the following video.
Spectacular examples in the interior
Here are the solutions that designers offer:
- Contrast wall-mounted tubular the cornice is suitable for bay windows, where the gap between the window opening and the ceiling is large enough. In this case, it does not “cut” the space, but only separates the window, making it a little narrower. A common round cornice joins all three frames together, while softening the fairly pronounced corners of the bay window. Installation above the very window openings allowed the cornice, as it were, to merge with them, visually raising the upper line of the windows.
- Ceiling cornice under carved polyurethane baguette Is a favorite decoration for classic traditional styles. Despite all the bulkiness of the structure, vertical ornaments and pronounced angles help to visually “raise” the ceiling even more, providing the pompous room with the necessary height.
- Gilded wall cornice almost invisible under the curtains, but small glimpses draw attention to the unusual ceiling design. Curtains gathered with a simple curtain tape do not draw attention to themselves. The golden color of the cornice was not chosen by chance: it echoes the light of the lanterns at night, giving the room a halo of mystery and mystery.
- Baguette under a tree for a ceiling cornice it looks majestic, but cumbersome. Such a solution is not the best for such small bay windows, and only a professional can choose a harmonious large baguette. However, light color and small drawing save the day..
- Brass wall cornice echoes the situation. The location of the structure almost under the ceiling made it possible to visually make the room higher. Zoning the small one-piece bay window expanded the space without compromising lighting levels. In this case, the wall cornice is not the main one, but due to the unusual color and the choice of curtain mounts, it is not lost against the general background of the room..