A fireplace in a house is not only a source of additional heat, it is a very important part of a room’s interior. The unique and original design of the fireplace will create a cozy atmosphere in your home.
The facing of the fireplace can be different: using natural stone, such as marble or granite, have metallic elements or be decorated with expensive types of wood.
The most popular type of cladding not only for the fireplace itself, but also for its portal, is marble tiles..
- Increased strength – marble withstands large temperature changes. You can apply different patterns to the marble portal without damaging its surface. The marble is impact resistant.
- Ease of maintenance – a marble fireplace very rarely gets dirty, you don’t need expensive cleaning products to bring it back to its original appearance.
- Durable – you don’t have to constantly polish it.
- Heat retention – marble is excellent at storing heat and will keep you warm for a very long time after you have extinguished the fireplace.
- Large selection of models – various models of marble portals will appeal to both adherents of classical design and followers of modern trends.
- Security. Marble is an environmentally friendly material, its use will not harm health.
Due to the fact that marble lends itself well to processing, using this material you can make a portal of various designs and shapes. In this case, a material with medium hardness is used..
The most common finishing colors are:
- Gray marble is rich in various shades: from very light to dark in color, with small or large grain size. There may be many different lines or specks of white on the surface.
- White marble – can change its color depending on the lighting in the room. This is due to the presence of barely noticeable stripes of gray, pink and yellow shades on the marble surface..
- Colored marble – the range of colors is wide enough: pink, blue, yellow.
If you make a marble portal for a fireplace from a solid material, then its cost will be quite high. A more democratic version can be obtained from an artificial stone – algomerate. The main advantage of artificial cast marble (agglomerate) is a huge selection of colors. The main disadvantage of artificial marble is that it is less durable than natural stone. This makes the material harder to polish..
A marble fireplace portal is not cut from a whole stone – it is assembled from several elements.
Before proceeding with the facing of the fireplace, it is necessary to sheathe the side and rear walls of the fireplace with thermal insulation material. For this, use boards made of Superisol material..
Advantages of Superizol boards in comparison with other materials:
- Fast and easy assembly technology. You can cut the Superisol slabs using a regular wood saw. To mount the boards, you will need Isol Glue and screws..
- Thanks to a special production technology, Superizol boards do not emit dust and are hypoallergenic..
- They are not subject to deformation under the influence of high temperatures. Squeeze resistant.
- Superizol boards are produced in large sizes, which ensures very quick and easy installation.
You can invite a specialist for facing the fireplace, or do it yourself.
Before starting work, you need to carry out preparatory operations:
- Wet the outside of the fireplace with water (use a spray gun for this), and expand the seams of the masonry deeper by 1 cm.
- Clean the surface of the fireplace from dust and dirt (use a brush for this).
- Seal chips and other holes with cement.
- Grind uneven brickwork (a grinder with a special circle will help you with this).
- Grasp the surface of the fireplace with a reinforcing mesh (size 5 by 5 cm).
- Fix the mesh with nails and washers or self-tapping screws, placing them in the seams of the masonry.
- Heat the surface of the fireplace to 30 degrees using a small amount of wood logs.
Step-by-step instructions will help you make the cladding yourself:
- Marble fit – Draw life-size outlines of your fireplace on the floor with chalk. Lay out the marble by choosing tiles based on color, thickness and shape.
- Tile marking – in the center write the number of the tile, and along the edges of the number of the faces with which this tile is in contact. So you can easily find the right piece when the tiles are being installed. Do not use tiles that differ significantly in thickness, as you will have to use a lot of glue to lay them level with each other.
- First, lay the thickest tile; you will be guided by its thickness when installing the rest of the marble tiles. Small pieces of marble tiles that you left after cutting should be placed in inconspicuous places..
- Start the tiling process from the bottom corner of the fireplace and work your way up. After you reach the top of the fireplace, lay the top row horizontally. Continue laying the marble from top to bottom. Use wire S-shaped fasteners to secure the cladding parts. They will strengthen the structure. They need to be fixed to the reinforcement mesh, using the lower end as a support for the marble tiles..
- After you have finished laying the marble completely, you must wait for it to dry. This process usually takes two days..
- When the styling is dry, you can start rubbing the seams. Before doing this, it is better to check whether hard-to-remove grout marks remain on a separate piece of unnecessary marble..
This technology is also suitable for laying artificial marble..
Bella is an Italian brand that produces marble fireplace portals of high quality and elegant design.. Bella manufactures marble fireplace portals in two colors:
- pale pink – "tea rose";
- white – "sinai pearl".
Fireplace cladding from the Bella trademark is perfectly combined with cast-iron fireplace inserts from various European manufacturers..
Bella manufactures marble fireplace portals in two types:
- Classic look – marble U-shaped portals.
- "Country" – there are two types: corner and wall marble portal for fireplaces.
Distinctive characteristics of the Italian manufacturer Bella:
- In the manufacture of fireplaces, precious woods are used for decoration, due to which marble fireplace portals have a chic and unsurpassed appearance and elegant shapes..
- Marble portals for fireplaces are made with glass, so you can enjoy the spectacle of flames breaking out on logs.
- Bell marble portals for fireplaces, along with high quality, are distinguished by affordable prices. You will receive a fireplace with a unique design at an affordable price.
- Marble fireplace portals go well with cast iron fireplace inserts from the French manufacturers Invicta and Laudel.
- Steel oven doors complete the unique design of the fireplace, they will look great in your interior when you are not using the fireplace.
Marble fireplace portals will be a great addition to your home. Due to their environmental friendliness, durability and presentable appearance, they will perfectly fit into any interior.