The choice of flooring is a responsible event, in which it is important to take into account several factors at once: durability, price, quality of materials, compliance with modern trends, physical properties and appearance. Finding the best option with such a range of indicators is not easy.
Currently, the market for building materials and products for renovation provides a wide range of floor coverings. In addition to the basic and well-known ones, they began to produce new items that absorbed the best properties from those already available. Such innovative flooring materials include PVC tiles..
Features of PVC tiles
PVC tiles are an improved and modified version of linoleum cut into equal pieces. The industrial composition of the material consists of PVC plastic in the form of high quality granules.
The floor tile consists of six layers: a base layer of PVC, two secondary layers with the addition of quartz, a balance layer of fiberglass, and then decorative and protective. This form of PVC is hot-cast. The main material is melted and poured into a special mold, after cooling of which the ready-to-use tile is removed from it..
The multilayer PVC coating allows it to be used for floors in rooms of various purposes..
The coating has a dense, stable shape, which is formed as a result of pressing under high pressure. In a similar way, manufacturers create not only a smooth surface, but also an original relief. Therefore, buyers can choose any flooring model..
The second stage in the creation of linoleum tiles – quality control. This product is a kind of innovation in the construction market, and high requirements are imposed on it in terms of several indicators at once: fire safety, physical resistance, anti-slip properties, attractive appearance..
Due to the great popularity of such tiles, it has several similar names: vinyl, linoleum, polyvinyl chloride, quartz vinyl, modular, plastic. Therefore, when seeking advice from the seller of building materials, you can safely call this material any convenient option. They will understand you and show you the available assortment.
It is difficult to talk about the cost of the material, because prices differ in all regions. But in comparison with ordinary linoleum, PVC tiles are about 1.5-2 times more expensive. In hardware stores at this price, you can find premium linoleum..
However, such a tile has several advantages:
- Convenience of transportation. The tiles are loaded into boxes. Linoleum, on the other hand, rolls up into a long, heavy roll, which is extremely inconvenient to carry on yourself..
- Although vinyl tiles are more expensive, there are practically no scraps left from it, which cannot be said about roll coating.
- Ease of installation.
Linoleum tiles have other advantages:
- Aesthetic appearance. There is a wide variety of colors of vinyl tiles, among which there are bright colors, beautiful patterns and imitation of natural materials (wood, stone).
- Comfortable use. This floor is pleasant to walk on. It does not slip even if it gets wet.
- Unpretentious care. The material has a smooth surface, which eliminates the adhesion of dirt. Easy to clean coating.
Like ceramic tiles, PVC tiles can be laid in different ways depending on the type of substrate. The main thing is to lay the tiles in straight rows.. It is suitable for covering both wood and concrete floors..
- Laying type “Square”. This is the simplest and most commonly used method. Square tiles are stacked one to the other, fully connected by the sides, top and bottom ends. It’s hard to make a mistake here.
The basic principle of installation will not allow you to deviate from the desired direction and cover the floor unevenly. This method has two options: lay PVC tiles along the walls of the room or diagonally.
- Laying type “Herringbone”. With this method of laying, it is important to start from the middle of the room. Each “branch” of a conventional Christmas tree should consist of 2-4 tiles. Then on the sides of the main “Christmas tree” you need to put one more in the same way.
- Laying type “Deck”. A general rule of thumb is to start laying items perpendicular to the short side of the room. Then each subsequent row is shifted by a third from the previous row. It turns out a kind of “ladder”.
For laying the floor, linoleum tiles alone are not enough. You will also need additional funds.. The list of auxiliary tools includes things that are found in almost every home:
- a clerical knife in order to cut the excess coating;
- paper tape 5 cm wide;
- steel ruler 1 meter long;
- a wooden block for lapping, upholstered with fabric or felt;
- small notched notched trowel (in case you chose adhesive tiles).
Preparation of the base
Before proceeding directly with laying, you need to prepare the base. The floor must be flat, dry and firm.. If the original flooring does not meet the requirements, then it must be restored to good condition..
Vinyl tiles can be laid on the floor of any material: fiberboard, plywood, OBP, gypsum fiber board, concrete.
Usually, for uneven concrete floors, it is sufficient to fill it with cement mortar and distribute it over the entire surface. Next, you should wait until it hardens completely. The cement becomes as dense as possible after a few days..
The wooden floor must be leveled with 12-15 mm plywood. The fasteners must be hidden, and the cracks must be filled with acrylic, and then impregnated with soil for greater strength.
Next, check the moisture content of the base.. According to the rules, it should not exceed 5%. In construction, this procedure is carried out using a special device. But rarely can anyone find him in the household. However, there is an alternative method.
To do this, you need tape and polyethylene without holes. Cut out a small piece of cellophane and glue it with tape to the base. It is important that everything is hermetically sealed. We leave for a day. A good indicator is the absence of condensation. The floor is ready – you can start laying.
The principle of laying linoleum tiles in an apartment with your own hands largely depends on the type of fasteners of this flooring. There are four types of them:
- Castle tiles. The connection of individual elements occurs due to fasteners similar to puzzles. Such a tile device reliably connects the parts to each other. An adhesive base is no longer required. It is enough just to have a flat floor with a permissible transition of 2 mm. The tight fit of parts into each other is achieved using a rubber mallet. A plus to the convenience and reliability is the fact that such a tile can be assembled and disassembled several times.
- Adhesive tiles. There is a commercial adhesive specifically designed for vinyl tiles. It is easy to lay – glue is applied to the inside of each element and placed on the floor in the most convenient way. It is not recommended to glue the coating in rooms of frequent stay, as glue fumes can be harmful to health.
- Self-adhesive coating. Unlike adhesive tiles, where you need to impregnate the elements yourself, here the glue is already initially applied to the tile, you just need to lay it by removing the protective film.
- “Free” fragments. The principle of laying, like that of a laminate, is “joint to joint”. There is a thread on the lateral sides of the elements, which easily fits into the thread of the adjacent fragment. Thus, laying tiles is simple and convenient..
Installation of interlocking tiles
Before laying the covering, it is recommended to warm up the individual elements with a hairdryer to give them greater elasticity, which will simplify the process of covering..
It is correct to start the installation of the tiles “under the lock” from the corner of the room. Lay with the groove against the wall from left to right. Then cut off the uneven edges along the wall with a knife. When the first row is completely laid, and you reach the second wall, then for sure you will have an extra distance that one more fragment will not enter. In this case, we cut off from the whole element that part that will enter the remaining space..
To do this, you need to measure the distance with a ruler or tape measure. Then we make the markings on the tiles and cut them along the line. First, cut through the top layer of the fragment with a knife, and then break it apart. With the rest, you can start laying the next row..
Installation of tiles with glue
For PVC tiles, it is worth purchasing a special glue. It can be anything, but it is designed specifically for this material. You need to apply glue to the tile with a spatula, evenly distributing it over the surface.
Lay the first row strictly along the marked line. If you are using the “square” method, then this line will be a wall. If we are talking about a “herringbone” or “deck”, then the control line must be drawn independently, having previously measured the boundaries.
So that the newly laid coating does not shift to the side, you can temporarily fix it with tape.
After you have glued the first tile, run your hand over it, pushing the air out from under the material. Then stand on the tile with your foot, stand a little on it for better fixation. Next, lay the rest of the elements in a similar way, making sure that the tile lies “joint to joint”.
When two rows have been laid, you should take a block and draw it across the entire width. So the air will finally come out from under the cover. For greater reliability, you can use a rubber mallet, tapping the floor with it.
Installation of self-adhesive tiles
Self-adhesive linoleum tiles are laid in the same way as tiles on glue, but still a little easier, because in this case you do not need to apply glue.
To lay self-adhesive tiles, very few tools are needed: a roller, a ruler and a stationery knife.
You can start installation from any point in the room: from the corner, middle or at one of the walls. Before gluing the element, remove the protective sticker from it.. The masonry takes place “joint to joint”. After the first row is laid, roll over it to expel air..
Be sure to leave a distance of 5-6 mm between the tile and the wall. This is necessary because at higher temperatures, for example in summer, the material expands. To avoid waves or bubbles, it is best to leave space in advance. This gap can be hidden by installing skirting boards around the perimeter of the room..
In addition to the basic step-by-step instructions for laying modular tiles, there is also a number of tips revealed through the accumulated experience.
- You should not start laying immediately after purchasing the material. Let the tile rest for 24 hours. This will heat it up to room temperature and take on the correct shape..
- Before starting work, check if the floor is dry. If for some reason it is not completely dried, then it is highly undesirable to lay the coating. In this case, there is a high risk of mold formation under the tiles in the near future..
- After covering the floor with vinyl tiles, take into account the fact that its thermal resistance is in the temperature range from -20 to +300 degrees. PVC-covering is excellent for the “warm floor” system.
- The flooring is produced under certain markings that relate to different types of premises. Tiles marked at 21-23 are suitable for the home, 31-33 for public spaces.
- Do not expose PVC flooring to acetone or other solvents. This may damage the tile surface..
Choosing a vinyl tile, you will not regret it. You can evaluate its convenience from the moment of flooring. Having determined for yourself the most suitable type of flooring and deciding which installation method to use, feel free to get to work. Our instructions will help you install your flooring quickly and without any hassle..
For information on how to lay PVC tiles on the floor, see the next video..