Stairs are an important element of any room that requires special attention when designing. The appearance of the steps can tell about the tastes of the owners and their material condition. Internal structures should be in harmony with the style of the whole house, be its decoration.
The use of modern tiles will create a beautiful and practical staircase that will become a real gem of the interior..
Floor tiles for facing steps have their own characteristics and must have the following characteristics:
- resistance to abrasion and deformation;
- durability and reliability;
- safety – this is why a non-slip coating is most often chosen;
- resistance to low temperatures and moisture.
In addition to the above, facing tiles for stairs should be beautiful, but at the same time unpretentious to maintain. A special corrugated coating can reduce the level of injury. Therefore, choosing a tile, it is worth giving preference to models with an anti-slip, rough surface.
The facing of the steps requires special attention. Not only should they look harmonious in the interior, they also have serious operational requirements..
There are several types of facing steps:
- Overhang tiling. This method is considered the most cost effective option. The tile is laid with a slight overhang above the step. It is better to use products with a glazed face. It should be noted that the edge of the tile can collapse over time, so this option is only suitable for stairs with low traffic..
- Safety edge ceramics. The model is used with a grooved edge, which prevents slipping when walking. The tiles are laid on the edge of the tread with an overhang, therefore it is important that the overhang of the product matches the thickness of the riser. Most often, the edge of the products is rounded, which gives the stairs a special charm. This cladding option is used for both indoor and outdoor stairs..
- Corner tiles. This is a great alternative to models with a grooved edge. Products are a corner ceramic profile, which is laid on the tread so that the upper edge of the tile covers part of it. The rest of the step surface is lined with ordinary ceramics. When choosing a profile, it is important to take into account that its thickness should correspond to the thickness of the tile with which the tread and riser are covered..
Their installation takes place even at the stage of laying the tiles, so dismantling without deformation of the entire coating is almost impossible..
- Step pads. If the staircase is used daily and is subject to heavy loads, then replaceable metal-based profiles are usually used for cladding. The lower non-slip layer is screwed to the base of the steps with screws. And the upper one, made of plastic PVC, is replaceable and is a corrugated coating. Most often, overlays are used when you need to create a practical covering on the stairs. They are best suited for vertical edging, bathroom and kitchen treads. When using clinker, special tile models are used. Surface colors can be monochromatic, multi-colored or with imitation of a natural stone pattern. Profiles with a contrasting color look spectacular in the interior.
- Ceramic onlays. This type of ceramic tile for steps is presented in a wide range. Corners, stripes and round rods are especially popular. The latter fit more closely to the edge of the steps due to the recess in the back. They usually come in the same set with the tiles and have a suitable length and color..
- Tread or tile with capinos. This type of ceramic is a tread with rounded edges. Almost all models are covered with anti-slip material: on the surface of the tile there can be cuts, grooves, notches. The shape of the products can be different, on sale you can find tiles for rounded, straight and even curly steps.
- Skirting board. Used to give the stairs a finished look. Manufacturers offer two types of skirting boards: right-side and left-side, which is important to consider when buying this material.
- Tile for turning steps is present in any collection and makes it easier to finish winder treads. When purchasing a ready-made set of tiles, it is necessary to carefully calculate the amount of material, since it can be extremely difficult to find such a tile separately..
- Riser – an extremely important part when facing steps. This is a special type of tile that covers only the front part of the steps. They usually come in a set of stairs tile collection, but if necessary, you can make them yourself..
Risers play a more decorative role and give the whole structure a finished look.
The most popular universal material for facing steps is porcelain stoneware. It not only looks harmonious in any interior, but is also able to serve for many years without losing its own properties. For the design of the steps, products with a relief or unpolished (glazed) surface are used. Porcelain stoneware for stairs can be monolithic, integral or prefabricated. It should be noted that monolithic steps look much more spectacular than their counterparts, they are usually used for facing internal stairs..
This material has a high price, but its high cost is fully justified by the long service life of the coating. Especially beautiful porcelain stoneware looks paired with forged handrails or railings, as well as metal fences.
Another universal, but beautiful option is considered clinker tile. She looks amazing on stairs inside and outside the house. The range of clinker tiles includes high-quality products of domestic and foreign production, which makes it possible for each client to choose the appropriate option..
Clinker perfectly absorbs moisture, so it can even be used for facing steps in swimming pools and saunas.
For real aesthetes, manufacturers offer such an exquisite staircase design as granite tiles. Its advantages are superior performance, reliability and durability. It will not fade or rub off. In addition, the assortment of granite ceramics is presented in a variety of colors..
The only drawback of this material is the high price..
For stairs with high traffic, it is better to purchase rubber tiles.. Its aesthetic properties cannot compete with previous examples, but it is extremely robust and durable. This is an option for those who primarily value quality and practicality, and for whom the decorative properties of the cladding do not play any role. Anti-slip rubber tiles are often used to decorate stairs in preschool and school institutions, municipal buildings, medical complexes.
With its help, you can easily hide flaws in the surface, and a convenient coating will make the ladder comfortable for constant use..
Paving (concrete) tiles – not the most suitable option for decorating stair steps, it is more suitable for landscape design. It will be quite difficult to clad the porch without prior experience. It is necessary not only to calculate the exact number of tiles, but also to calculate the height of the substrate and border.
It is best to lay paving slabs paired with bricks and ceramics – this will allow you to arrange rises.
Often there are combinations of tiles of different colors, due to which the stairs are beautiful and elegant..
For cladding internal structures, use ceramic tiles. Usually they take models with special cuts along the edges or a curly edge. Such products outwardly resemble porcelain stoneware, but with their help it is impossible to make a monolithic coating. But the combination of several shades for facing the stairs makes the whole structure spectacular..
For facing steps, it is better to choose monolithic products, then the appearance of the entire structure will be much neater. For this, manufacturers produce special series of floor ceramics with appropriate dimensions..
For example, the optimal dimensions of porcelain stoneware for steps are considered to be 1200x300x10 mm. However, today there is no specific standard for finishing ceramic tiles. Its size depends on the height and width of the steps, so we can only talk about approximate parameters, the indicators of which vary from 25 to 35 cm.
It is customary to cover large structures with large products. Their parameters may not correspond to the dimensions of 1200 x 300 mm, however, the width and height of the tiles will be clearly larger than standard products..
Many manufacturers offer custom-made stair tiles. To avoid inconsistencies with the ladder structure, you should carefully measure the parameters of all parts of the ladder..
The thickness of tile products depends on its manufacturing method and type of purpose.. For outdoor structures, tiles with a thickness of at least 18 mm are used.. For cladding internal structures, models are used with a thickness of at least 14 mm. There are porcelain stoneware products with a thickness of less than 14 mm..
The range of tiles for stairs has many options. Here you will find products with designs imitating stone, marble, wood. There are models with a pattern or a simple background coating.
A black or white staircase looks especially impressive..
Chess colors of ceramics look delightful against the background of the interior in the style of Rococo, Classicism, Empire.
The use of rubber tiles opens up wide design possibilities, since its palette is replete with all kinds of colors. The choice of a specific color depends on the wishes of the customer. It should be borne in mind that the appearance of the structure should harmoniously fit into the overall interior or exterior of the house, depending on the location of the stairs.
Traditionally, a staircase can be laid out with rectangular or square ceramics, but this solution is not popular with modern designers. Today, manufacturers of ceramic products produce ready-made sets for finishing stairs, the parameters of which do not fit into outdated standards..
The use of opposite colors is noteworthy. – this approach is popular with modern designers. This simple one the reception allows you to make the appearance of the structure solemn and stylish.
The combination of dark and light tiles looks especially beautiful. The marble inserts on the porch of the stairs will be spectacular and catchy, but inside the room, more gentle tones and simple solutions will be appropriate..
Products in light brown tones are suitable for facing a semicircular staircase, and the ornament on the riser will revive the structure and make it more elegant.
Manufacturers and reviews
Today the market of cladding materials is overcrowded, so it is extremely difficult to choose the best manufacturer of stair tiles. Almost all manufacturers strive to create a quality product that will delight with its original appearance for many years..
Among the many similar products, the company’s clinker products stand out. Stroeher. Consumers fell in love with ceramics of German production for the variety of modifications and high durability of products. On sale are Florentine, convex, rectangular products, as well as notched ceramics. The color palette impresses with its natural shades – from brown to dark gray. Thanks to modern digital printing technologies, the manufacturer managed to create unique products with a stunning imitation of the structure of natural stone. Anti-slip glazed surface allows Stroeher tiles to be used both indoors and outdoors.
Unglazed tiles are available in a variety of textures and natural clay colors in different shades..
Among domestic manufacturers, tiles from a Russian company are in wide demand. “Ecolinker”. The use of environmentally friendly materials, as well as resistance to low temperatures, abrasion, chemicals makes it popular among Russian consumers.
The advantages of the tiles of this manufacturer include the anti-slip coating of the products, which, moreover, has refractory properties. “Ecolinker” tiles are easy to install and do not require any special maintenance..
When purchasing ceramics for facing steps, it is necessary to take into account some factors:
- It is strongly not recommended to install tiles of the same shade with the floor covering – this is fraught with falls and injuries..
- You cannot use ceramics intended for cladding internal structures for decorating stairs on the street. In this case, cracking of the material is guaranteed in the shortest possible time..
- When choosing a stair tile, you should familiarize yourself with its degree of wear – it must be high. Traditionally, tiles of category 3 are used for finishing interior stairs, and for facing external structures, it is better to use products of category 4.
- The ceramics must have a non-slip coating. Of course, there is also polished ladder material, but it is best to purchase products with grooves, then the level of injury will be much lower.
- Products with moisture resistance indicators from 3 to 10% are considered optimal for use. These include porcelain stoneware and clinker tiles..
- When choosing outdoor tiles, resistance to low temperatures is important. The lower the porosity of the material, the less it absorbs moisture, which adversely affects the strength properties of products.
- The appearance of the tiles should be consistent with the style of the interior of the room or the exterior of the area on which the steps are located.
Beautiful examples of cladding
A universal option for the design of steps is facing with porcelain stoneware. For the street version, light brown, orange and gray tones are considered optimal..
White tiles in the facing of internal stairs can transform the interior of the hall beyond recognition. It goes well with natural materials – wood, stone, glass.
Fits perfectly into a wide variety of styles, from classic to modern.
The staircase, finished with dark and light ceramics at the same time, will become a real decoration of a country house. Designs with glass elements framed with stylish railings will look especially beautiful..
For how to put tiles on the stairs with your own hands, see the next video..