Many people want to make furniture on their own, but not everyone knows where to start and how to get it right. After all, this is a laborious process that requires great care and accuracy. Hand-made furniture will fit perfectly into the room, because it will be made according to individual drawings. It will have the upholstery and filling chosen by the craftsman himself. If we talk about the financial side of the issue, then we can safely say that self-assembly of furniture will cost a little less than buying in a furniture showroom. Many people prefer to make a corner sofa with their own hands, and not spend money on expensive furniture..
Every person who knows how to handle tools and understands some of the nuances is capable of making a corner sofa. The corner sofa will become an adornment of even the simplest room, and in quality it may well surpass store options..
The advantages of making furniture with your own hands:
- Saving money. Buying goods in furniture showrooms or ordering furniture in a workshop, you overpay not only for the work of the craftsmen, but also for transportation, rental of premises, for the salary of staff.
- Personal quality control. You will buy the materials yourself, so you will be 100% sure of their quality.
- Own design. If in the store you have to choose a product from what is offered, then self-production allows you to come up with your own size, shape and design.
- Learning useful skills (for example, padding). Sooner or later, the furniture has to be pulled over, and turning to professionals can significantly hit the family budget..
- Getting pleasure from the process and pride in the result. There is nothing better than getting rave reviews from family and guests who admire your abilities..
Choice of materials
To achieve the reliability and durability of the product, you need to take a responsible approach to the choice of materials. A beginner should not stop choosing complex drawings and expensive materials. For a beginner in this business, it is better to use fiberboard or chipboard, birch plywood and coniferous beams. Before work, you need to prepare bolts, screws, nails, synthetic winterizer (P = 150 g / dm), batting, foam rubber (2-4 cm), furniture fabric, wooden legs (5 cm), structure lifting mechanism. You need to fix the fabric and foam rubber using special adhesives..
In order for the product to serve for several years, it is necessary to use self-tapping screws to secure it. Nails will not be able to stay in the chipboard or fiberboard for a long time, over time they will loosen and fall out. The adhesive is allowed to be used only after the master is convinced of the accuracy of the assembly..
If non-laminated plates are used in the work, then they must be covered with a special varnish on top..
- hand saw with a simple miter box;
- electric drill;
- high-quality stapler;
- sewing machine;
- a sharp knife to cut the foam rubber;
- simplest wort.
If you can’t make a cut at home, then you can order it.
If you are going to make a corner sofa with your own hands, you need to decide exactly where the product will be located in order to create the desired structure. It is better for a beginner to stay on a simple sofa, without complex structures. For example, you shouldn’t start with a pull-out couch because it is quite difficult. All dimensions and details must be indicated on the drawing so that there are no errors during the work..
- Make armrests. For the manufacture of the product, prepare two armrests 90 × 20 × 55 cm.A large sheet of chipboard and two beams are taken. Self-tapping screws need to be screwed into the chipboard, securing them with a bar. The distance between the fasteners should be about 20 cm. It turns out that in each bar there will eventually be four screws, and at the end of the bar – 2. Then, fiberboard is attached with two nails – at a distance of up to 15 cm from each other. It is advisable to fix the nails with wood glue to make the structure more durable. When the armrests are ready, cover them with foam rubber. To do this, first, rough and sharp places are cut down in the upper part of the structure, and then foam rubber is glued to the front section. On the back you need to stick the batting.
- Working with the left side. With the help of plywood sheets, two parts of the chipboard are attached to screws, lubricating them from above with solar glue. Each half should have 4 self-tapping screws. Next, two wooden racks are screwed, a screed is made from a bar. The top bar should fit well against the bottom to create solid support. To assemble the frame of the seating part, you will need a flat bar without bulges. Frame diagonals must be the same size. The assembly of the frame follows the same principle as the backrest. The finished frame is installed on the frame. For this, the attachment points of the front bar are made slightly weaker, all surfaces are coated with glue. Then everything is tightened with screws (7-9 cm). Plywood is attached with screws and glue. The distance between them should be about 15-20 cm.The fiberboard is attached to the back (using nails and glue), foam rubber is glued on top
- Collect the right side. Details are fastened with plywood sheets. Bars are screwed around the perimeter, on which they will then put a storage box. The bottom is made of chipboard. For the lifting mechanism, it is necessary to draw a marking, then with a drill it will be necessary to make holes for the bolts, which should look out from the side of the bar. Foam rubber is glued on top.
- Working with filler.To accurately cut the foam, you need to take measurements from all sides. Having cut out one detail, it is better to glue it in place immediately. This is necessary so as not to get confused. The thickness of the foam cushion for the seating part must be 12 cm.
- Upholstery. To fit the sofa, you will have to make patterns. For this, the product is measured by visually dividing it into parts. All sections should be rectangular so that it is easier to fit them with fabric. Next, you need a pattern. All its details need to be cut out, and then the fabric should be cut out. You need to cut the fabric from the wrong side, leaving 5 cm allowances – for future seams.
The fabric must be ironed in advance so as not to make mistakes with the calculations and not to spoil the general appearance of the upholstery.
With the help of pins, the fabric is attached to the sofa, and pieces of it must be sewn by hand with colored thread. This is essential in order to make the perfect case. Then the cover is carefully removed from the product, sketches are made on a sewing machine.
The cover is thrown on the sofa with the bright side and straightened. A stapler is used to secure it to the product. If you do not have a sewing machine at hand or a person does not know how to work with patterns at all, then you can buy sofa decks. These bedspreads will add uniqueness to the product and create a cozy atmosphere. Divandeks can also be used as a cover that is thrown over the main upholstery. This completes the process of creating a corner sofa. Now it can be placed on a balcony or in a gazebo. It depends on what it was originally intended for. Having made a simple corner sofa with your own hands, you can get used to working with wood and tools. This skill will help you assemble a more complex product or remake an already finished sofa..
The decision to make a corner sofa at home with your own hands should be carefully considered, so that later there will be no changes in plans. It must be remembered that not all people are capable of working with a saw or drill. Therefore, a person who has decided to make a sofa must correctly and objectively assess their strengths. In order not to puzzle over difficult tasks (for example, sawing), you can buy ready-made parts. The same goes for the upholstery. You can order it at a furniture store with your measurements and drawings. Nowadays, almost any beginner can try himself in the role of a furniture master. Indeed, on the Internet, you can find instructions in which everything is described in an accessible way. Professionals will tell you in detail about where to start, what you need. They will show the manufacturing process itself..
For a detailed course on making a sofa with your own hands, see the following video.