Sideboard, slide, wardrobe, secretaire, sideboard, sideboard – there can be a lot of names for this item. However, the essence is the same – it is a place to store things. Despite the fact that furniture manufacturing technologies are constantly changing and improving, new types of storage of items appear, swing cabinets do not lose their relevance to this day..
The first prototypes of wardrobes with hinged doors began to be made around the 15th century. In their form, they rather resembled horizontal boxes or chests and took up a lot of space. Later, one of the craftsmen guessed to turn the chest vertically, and thus the first single-door wardrobe was obtained. Since then, this piece of furniture has been constantly modified and improved. Fashion, eras, tastes and materials of manufacture have changed.
Over time, cabinets began to be divided into storage sections – this is how furniture with two or more doors appeared..
Variety of models
Today furniture factories offer a variety of cabinet shapes and colors. People began to create whole modular systems with many compartments and compartments for various garments. In order to save space, corner structures were invented.. They can be roughly divided into several groups..
By the way of structure, they are distinguished:
- Built-in – this is when the cabinet does not have its own side walls, all the insides are attached to the wall of the room in which it is located. Most often these are wardrobes that are located in the bedroom or in the hallway. This design is good in that it saves space, but its disadvantage is that it cannot be rearranged, and it will be extremely difficult to disassemble and take it with you when you move..
- Cabinet cabinets with swing doors are more mobile, and their dimensions are limited exclusively by the size of the room in which they will be located. Factory samples are made according to a specific template. Their choice in modern stores is quite extensive, among them you can choose a suitable copy for any wallet.
However, their main drawback is that they do not always fit the size of a particular room. Alternatively, you can order their production by private craftsmen.
In shape, corner furniture can be:
- Triangular – This is the easiest to manufacture, the most common and most often the most budgetary model. However, for small rooms, such cabinets are unlikely to be suitable due to their bulkiness..
- Trapezoid. Corner trapezoidal cabinets can be one or two doors. They are also easy to rearrange to another corner and can be combined with existing furniture..
- Pentagonal. As a rule, these are rather deep and spacious blocks, often representing a separate room for a wardrobe or a pantry..
- L-shaped. These are two free-standing or interconnected cabinets located at an angle of 90 degrees to each other. Such structures can also have an unlimited number of doors and occupy the entire peri-wall space from one corner to another..
- Radius. The doors of such cabinets have a rounded shape, hence their name. Furniture with this design looks very beautiful and elegant in the interior. However, making such models is very difficult. Hence, their cost is overpriced in comparison with other cabinets..
Depending on the purpose for which the corner cabinet is intended, its dimensions, design and the place where it will be located are made:
- For the hallway. Since outerwear is stored here, corner cabinets with hinged doors are often supplemented with shelves for small items. These can be keys, gloves, receipts and other small things. And inside there is a compartment for large things and shelves for shoes and hats.
- For bedrooms. Such wardrobes, as a rule, have two compartments: one with shelves for underwear and bed linen, and the other with clothes hangers. Sometimes wardrobes in the bedroom have several modules for each family member..
- For living rooms. Corner furniture in common rooms is not so uncommon, especially if the apartment is one-room. Bookshelves and cabinets for equipment are often located next to such a cabinet..
- For kitchen. Kitchen corner cabinets can be both floor-standing and wall-mounted. Most often they are located near the sink. Just like wardrobes, kitchen cabinets come in many different shapes. In this case, the radius structures can be both with a convex and with a door concave inward..
The stylistic design and material from which the corner cabinet will be made depend on many factors: the room itself where the cabinet will be located, its size and purpose.
As you know, stylists recommend choosing furniture in light colors for small rooms. In this case, even large-sized furniture will not weigh down the interior. If the size of the room allows, you can choose darker colors or combined models..
As for the material for this type of furniture, the most democratic models of cabinets are most often made of MDF or wood-based panels. At the same time, MDF is considered more environmentally friendly. More expensive furniture is made of solid wood. Most often used pine and beech. Oak is considered a favorite among wood species.. As a rule, they do not make furniture out of it. It is used primarily for custom-made furniture.
Recently, plastic and glass have become widely used in furniture production. They can often be seen in the details of corner cabinets in the kitchen, as well as in interiors decorated in the style high tech. Often these materials create an imitation of metal or wood textures..
Another novelty in the modern industry is acrylic glass. As a rule, door inserts are made from it. It can be transparent, colored or matte. Also, any drawing can be applied to the glass if desired. In combination with light facades, glass doors will add airiness and lightness to the interior..
In order for the cabinet to serve for a long time, it is important to pay attention to the quality of the fittings. This is especially true of doors – after all, they are the most mobile part of furniture and due to low-quality parts they most often fail..
Fittings for swing cabinets can be divided into the following types: hinges, door handles and door closers. Loops are of several types. The four-pivots are very strong and can withstand heavy loads. They are divided into invoices (butterfly), semi-invoices and hidden ones:
- Overhead fittings are attached from above to the canvas and the cabinet sash. In order to install the butterfly loop, no special skills are required. They are installed on the door leaf, which covers the sidewalls of the niche where they are installed.
- Half overlay hinges are attached where two doors cover one of the cabinet sides. They are used mainly in combined cabinet models..
- Hidden hinges consist of a metal body and a hinge hidden inside it, which connects directly to the door itself using a lever. When closed, this lever hides inward. For the production of high-quality hidden-type hinges, a special metal alloy is used – tsamak. Parts made of it have a beautiful gloss, and the alloy itself does not have a harmful effect on people.
- The 45 degree hinge is most commonly used for corner cabinets with hinged doors. There are hinges connecting parts at angles of 30 and 45 degrees
Hinges for glass door parts are divided into articulated and four-articulated:
- The hinge hinge consists of the hinge itself and glass seals. They are made of plastic. The appearance of such fittings is not very aesthetic, and the service life is short-lived. At the same time, its cost is quite democratic..
- Four-pivot hinges allow you to attach the cabinet door in different planes and at different angles. The only difficulty that can be encountered when choosing this mechanism is the complexity of its self-installation at home without special equipment for drilling holes in glass.
Door handles for swing cabinets can be made of any material. Manufacturers never cease to amaze consumers with a variety of shapes and designs. For inexpensive chipboard cabinets, as a rule, plastic handles are selected. For a more discerning taste, you can choose more interesting models – for example, imitation of the insertion of precious wood or stones. Handles with cut glass inserts look very original.
Contemporary wardrobes often have simple geometric handles without overkill. Safety is important for a children’s room, so there are models with hidden handles. Kitchen cabinets are often made without handles at all – they open with a simple push on them..
Door closers by the method of installation are of several types. The most popular is the one installed at the top of the door.. It is the easiest to install. There are also bottom closers located in the floor area, and hidden ones, which are built into the door leaf and are almost invisible during operation..
When choosing a type of door closer for a corner cabinet swing door, one should take into account the dimensions of the door leaf – first of all, weight and width. If the door is very heavy, install two door closers.
Swinging corner wardrobes can be called classics of furniture, and the classics never go out of style..
An overview of the corner wardrobe can be seen in the video below.