A wardrobe is an integral piece of furniture in every house or apartment. It is not only a reliable assistant in the storage of things, but also an object of expressing the originality of the interior. Plastic wardrobes are in great demand. This material has been popular in the furniture market for more than one year and includes a variety of models, colors and designs..
If you familiarize yourself with all the features of such products, then you can choose a wardrobe that will become the highlight of your apartment..
Features and Benefits
Plastic, like any material, has its own characteristics that affect the structure and functionality of furniture..
Among the main advantages are:
- Cabinets of this type are quite compact. They have a small size and width, are roomy, but do not take up much space..
- Plastic furniture is highly durable.
- Products are not strongly influenced by humidity and room temperature.
- In artificial material, unlike wood, parasites will never start that affect its condition..
- With the help of plastic parts, wardrobes and small cabinets of various shapes are made, among which everyone will find a model to their liking..
The disadvantages of such products include the following:
- Plastic can be difficult to fix, especially on the front of the wardrobe. Even if the damage is eliminated, a trace of it will be visually noticeable.
- Colored material is more noticeable for dirt and fingerprints.
The disadvantages of the products are insignificant, so you can safely choose a plastic cabinet for any room in your home..
Depending on the room in which you plan to install the wardrobe, there are several types of products:
- Kitchen cabinets – small furniture models that form a working area or are located above it. They are often equipped with a shelf that divides the cabinet space into two zones. This technique is handy for storing kitchen utensils. And the appearance of the structure will not suffer, even if the temperature in the room is high during the cooking process..
- Storage cabinet installed in the bedroom or hallway. This design is much larger than a kitchen one and sometimes plays the role of a full-fledged wardrobe. Often, a large wardrobe is built into the wall and equipped with many shelves and compartments inside. It may contain a compartment for outerwear with a special attachment for hangers.
- Bookcase, contrary to classic trends, it is also embodied using plastic panels. It has a transparent door or is an open structure similar to a rack. Such cabinets will be excellent protectors of books from dust..
- Toy cabinet from plastic can be bought in the nursery. This colorful design consists of a frame and several pull-out containers for storing toys. The design is extremely comfortable and spacious. Specially made plastic is non-toxic, so you don’t have to worry about your kids.
- Balcony – a kind of place for a closet, but for many, a wardrobe is an integral part of the loggia. It assumes the presence of a plastic wardrobe, built into the wall of the balcony or matched exactly to its width. If you have a small loggia, then in order to save space, you can place a compact plastic cabinet at its bottom..
- For bathroom and toilet plastic is one of the most suitable materials. Regardless of humidity and temperature differences, such a cabinet will be an excellent place for storing hygiene and household items. It is often located above the sink and is sometimes complemented by open shelves..
Types of structures
All cabinets made of plastic are divided into many types, depending on the design features. Its main varieties are as follows:
- Corner wardrobe. Depending on the function, it can be a massive piece of furniture installed as a dressing room. Its variation is a small tall wardrobe, which does not in any way reduce the size of the room. The bathroom is often equipped with a small hanging plastic cabinet for small items that does not clutter up the space..
- For those who like to distribute things into compartments, an alternative to the closet will be plastic chest of drawers. This design with pull-out sections is very mobile, you can easily remove drawers, move the chest of drawers if necessary and enjoy its compactness. An elegant rattan model will become a creative solution in the interior..
- Rectangular cabinets no less functional and beautiful. They are modular, hanging and folding. It is possible to design a cabinet from separate blocks so that both large and small compartments are created for storing specific things. Such designs are very convenient to use in children’s rooms to teach a child to order..
- Often plastic products are supplied with mirrors.. The mirror is a must in the bathroom. In large plastic wardrobes, even mirrored doors are installed or a mirrored surface is built into the wardrobe..
The models of wardrobes also vary according to such a feature as the design of the doors:
- Classic swing doors typical mainly for small products, but sometimes they are found in large cabinets.
- Sliding doors can be found in small lockers in the bathroom or toilet, as well as in built-in chiffonier structures.
- An interesting variation on the familiar patterns is door – accordion. Depending on the structure of the plastic, it can be of different density. A thinner model can be used for a wardrobe on the balcony or in the bathroom, and dense structures are suitable even for a large wardrobe in the hallway.
- Cabinet door can open horizontally or vertically. The vertical direction is typical for small hanging products in the kitchen. Such a door has a different opening mechanism and significantly saves space when the cabinet is open..
Plastic is a material that can be decorated in almost any shade. It can be a solid color design or a gradient. Doors are often decorated with patterns and ornaments. The door panels of the large wardrobe can be painted in different colors. The incarnation of paints is possible both in glossy and matt forms..
Place in the interior
Not every interior can be combined with furniture made of plastic, therefore, before purchasing a cabinet, you need to inquire about its combination with design directions.
Plastic looks its best in modern concepts. It is an integral component of styles such as minimalism, hi-tech, loft, Japanese. But such material is not always combined with baroque, Provence, eco and Italian designs..
There is a compromise solution – the selection of plastic with a special texture that imitates natural materials. In modern stores, you can easily find a wardrobe made for wood in various colors. Another plus of this model is the affordable price compared to cabinets made of natural materials..
How to do it yourself?
It is convenient to create built-in structures on a loggia or in a corridor. They require a small amount of material. They save space and time because there is no need to create a finished frame before installing the plastic panels. If the cabinet is built into the wall or below the level of the window sill, then the side panels can be omitted at all and the complete set of the cabinet with shelves can be limited..
The only drawback of such cabinets is the impossibility of moving them..
For information on how to make a cabinet for storing cans on a loggia, see the next video.
When creating a hull structure, at the first stage, it is necessary to make a frame from wooden beams. Plastic is used as a cladding material – for side surfaces and doors, which in most cases are hinged.
Whatever room you are going to make repairs in, remember that a plastic cabinet is a great piece of furniture that will fit into any room, emphasize your individuality and become an excellent place to store all the necessary things.!