These days, a wardrobe is usually a dweller in the bedroom (sometimes in the living room). It’s so convenient when all things are collected in one place. And by opening the closet, you can quickly pick up an outfit for a specific occasion..
What it is?
According to the definition of the Concise Encyclopedia of Household, a wardrobe or wardrobe or wardrobe is furniture for storing various types of clothes, including dresses, equipped with doors, drawers, mirrors, hangers. Some people also call such a wardrobe paid or dress, but this is wrong – there are no such words in Russian.
In the wardrobe, you can store coats, suits, shirts, dresses, blouses, knitted clothes, underwear, hats, accessories. A traditional wardrobe is a wardrobe with two or three hinged doors, behind one of which are drawers and shelves, and behind the other or two others – a hanger..
The wardrobe appeared in England in the 18th century and it was called the wardrobe (from the French words “store” and “dress”). It originated from the chest used to store clothes. In medieval castles, a wardrobe was a room specially designated for storing clothes, along the walls of which there were small wardrobes. The wardrobe in the castle at the same time served as a place for dressing and undressing, a hairdresser, a sewing workshop.
In the 19th century, the inner filling of the wardrobe approached the modern form. In the linen closet, there were compartments for hanging clothes, and a little later, the equipment of this piece of furniture was supplemented with a mirror and internal shelves. At that time, wardrobes were most often made of mahogany, decorated with intricate carvings, and polished wood was used for decoration..
Today, a wardrobe is not often used to store clothes in the house., preference is most often given to dressing rooms and wardrobes. But nevertheless, it is the classic version of the wardrobe that can give the interior a certain stylistic color..
A significant advantage of wardrobes is that if you want to change the space of the room, the wardrobe can be quickly moved to any place.
Types and models
A wardrobe is a cabinet furniture consisting of several sections designed for storing clothes..
The wardrobe has blank side and back walls. It is equipped with doors from the facade. According to the number of doors, the wardrobe can be single-leaf, double-leaf, three-leaf. There are also huge models with a large number of doors..
Cabinet doors can be hinged, sliding or folding.
A single-door wardrobe is most often placed in small rooms, since it has modest dimensions. Such a piece of furniture only has a swing opening. It is also called a travel bag or pencil case. The minimum set of clothes for every day is kept here. It is equipped with a small number of shelves and a hanger bar.
Standard two-door and three-door wardrobes allow you to store much more clothes. The opening here can be either swing or sliding. This piece of furniture has many compartments for different types of clothing. There is always a section with shelves and drawers, as well as compartments equipped with a bar that can run along or across the cabinet. The transverse arrangement allows you to store a much larger amount of things on hangers. In modern models of wardrobes, the rods are equipped with a pantograph system, that is, they slide out and in, rise and fall.
Large wardrobes contain shelves for storing hats, shoes, a mirror, holders for belts and ties..
Sometimes a standard wardrobe can be supplemented with a mezzanine – an independent furniture module that is placed on top of a wardrobe. As a rule, such a module is equipped with shelves for storing linen, bags.
In shape, wardrobes can be straight and angular. The straight model has a classic rectangular shape. It is placed along a wall or between other pieces of furniture (for example, next to a dresser or bookcase). The corner model is intended for corner installations only. Suitable for both spacious and small spaces as it saves space.
A very interesting solution is a two-sided wardrobe., which can be opened both from the front and from the back. This design is used as a kind of partition for zoning space
When choosing a shade for a wardrobe, certain rules should be followed:
- When creating an interior, use no more than three colors. If shades of a certain color are used, then their number should also be no more than three;
- The color of the wardrobe should correspond to the characteristics of the room in which it will be used: purpose, degree of illumination, size, shape. For example, if the wardrobe is intended for a hallway, then it is better if it is light shades (white, beige) in order to visually enlarge the room..
- A wardrobe of calm tones will harmoniously fit into the interior of the bedroom. A dark wardrobe (black or dark brown) is best for a light room..
- In a room with windows facing the north side, it is better to choose a cabinet in light wood color;
- If, according to the idea of the owners, the wardrobe occupies a central place in the room, then first they choose a wardrobe, and then they select materials for finishing the walls, ceiling, floor of furniture, textiles for it. If, on the contrary, the cabinet should become a less noticeable part of the interior, then its color should be close to the color of the walls;
- When choosing the color of the wardrobe, one should be guided by the general style in which the room is made. If the room is designed in the Provence style, then the colors characteristic of this direction (white, mint, blue, aged light wood) should be used in the design of the cabinet;
- Do not forget that dark tones visually reduce the space, light tones expand;
- Very bright colors should be avoided as they irritate the psyche and tire quickly. A wardrobe of deep black color will also depress the psyche with its overly mournful appearance..
Today on the furniture market there are wardrobes of various sizes – from small (narrow or low) designed for small spaces to huge combination wardrobes with many compartments..
The main dimensions of the wardrobe:
- The width of the wardrobe depends on the number of doors and is at least 0.4 m for a single-wing cabinet-case (to fit the shoe boxes), optimally 0.6 m; 1-1.6 m for a double wardrobe; 1.5–2.4 m – for tricuspid. The width of the doors is 0.6-0.8 m.
- The number of doors is determined by the number of sections. The serial models have the following parameters: 2-3 sashes and a width of 1-2.4 m. In such a closet there is a sufficient number of things that can be placed on the shelves in two rows, and in the storage compartment the clothes of almost all family members can be weighed;
- The standard depth of a classic wardrobe is 0.6 m, but narrower models are also produced (0.45 m). At the usual depth of the cabinet, the hanger bars are placed along the back wall, and at a reduced depth – perpendicular to it;
- The height of serial cabinets is 2.2-2.4 m. But low models are also produced – 1.7-1.8 m;
The classic wardrobe is installed on a plinth, thanks to which the furniture can be easily moved to the wall with a plinth. Stylized wardrobes are made on legs.
- The distance between the shelves in the wardrobes is: for bed linen 0.35-0.4 m, for everyday clothes – 0.3-0.35 m. The height of the mezzanines varies from 0.45-0.5 m;
- The height of the rods: for raincoats and coats – 1.4-1.5 m, for jackets, jackets, blouses – 0.8-1 m, for dresses – 1.5-1.6 m;
- The height of the boxes is no more than 1.2 m from the field level for ease of pulling out and using.
Classic style wardrobes never go out of style. The main directions of the classics are empire, baroque, rococo, modern:
- Empire wardrobes have laconic old forms and restrained “imperial” decor. This requires high-quality and expensive material from such furniture, as well as compliance with the surrounding interior. Such furniture is solid, massive, distinguished by an unusual finish (inlay, painting).
- Baroque – it is always an abundance of pretentious details (stucco, curls, currencies). But, so that the Baroque wardrobe does not “draw” all the attention in the interior, it is better to choose such models that are not too full of details. You can focus on the quality of the material from which the furniture is made, or on the complexity of the color..
- Furniture rococo less pompous, although also filled with detail and luxury. But this luxury is less ponderous. Rococo style wardrobes look more airy and light, thanks to a more elegant decor, a predominance of light colors. Furniture products in this style look great in free spaces that are not overloaded with other furniture..
A characteristic feature of the Art Nouveau style is flowing lines, chic patterns, soft palette. Cabinets of this style are decorated with rounded elements..
When choosing a wardrobe in an ethnic style (be it Provence, Russian style, Japanese, country), you need to carefully consider how this item will fit into the surrounding environment, whether it will be in harmony with it. Perhaps after the appearance of such a cabinet, it will be necessary to add some ethnic details to the interior (curtains, lamps, bedspreads).
Modern wardrobes have a laconic design with a minimal set of decorative elements, smooth surface of the doors, metal inserts, and a wide selection of colors. Such a piece of furniture harmoniously fits into any interior and does not require its serious transformation..
The classic wardrobe is made of solid wood. This is the most reliable and durable material, but the price of such a piece of furniture will be more expensive.. Wooden cabinet has an elegant and luxurious look and is more suitable for interiors in classic style, Provence style or chalet.
In a different price category, there are cabinets made of MDF and chipboard. They look quite attractive and are rich in colors and shapes. MDF is compressed and specially treated sawdust of valuable wood species. Thanks to modern technologies, the surface of MDF panels can imitate natural wood. Chipboard is an even cheaper material than MDF, which differs from it in the pressing method.
A wide selection of textures and colors, combined with a low price, make furniture made from this material the most attractive to consumers..
Fittings for wardrobes are made of aluminum, stainless steel with chrome plating.
Antique wardrobe will perfectly fit into the Empire style interior. Its carved decor is in perfect harmony with other pieces of furniture..
The mirrored wardrobe is made in a classic style. Thanks to the white color, it seems to dissolve in the interior of the bedroom, while remaining its important functional and decorative elements..
Designer wardrobe with mirrored inserts combines all elements of modern and classic design. Moreover, such a wardrobe is very roomy and functional..
Six-door wardrobe. Classic. Laconic design hides increased capacity and an abundance of accessories for storing clothes.
Provence style double wardrobe. Hand-painted and wood carvings make this cabinet a work of art in its own right. You should try. to find a decent place for him in the room.
A corner cabinet in the style of a French village is a great solution for the interior of a small room. It’s good if all other pieces of furniture and decor are in the same style..
There are many furniture factories in Russia that produce cabinet furniture available to the mass consumer, including wardrobes. Therefore, it is quite difficult to make a choice in favor of one or another manufacturer..
The most famous in our country is the furniture factory “Shatura-Mebel”. Its products are distinguished by a variety of styles, attractive design, reliability and practicality of construction, long service life and relatively low prices..
The top lines of the rating of the best domestic furniture manufactures are also such companies as TriYa, Soyuz-Mebel, Mebel Chernozemya, Glazovskaya Furniture Factory. Vitra, Angstrem, Dyatkovo, Izhmebel, Your Day, Stella and others. The wardrobes of these factories are distinguished by high level of quality and functionality of models.
If you need to buy a wardrobe of a higher class made of solid (cherry or walnut), then you should pay attention to the classic models of European manufacturers, such as Ferro Raffaello (Italy) or Panamar (Spain). Modern designer wardrobes are produced by Italian factories Cattelan Italia, Meridiani, Lago, ALF, Flou, Calligaris, Riva 1920. Elegant wardrobes are a specialty of Italian Selva, Moda, Giorgio Collection, Gervasoni, Bizotto. And, if you need a roomy wardrobe, then it is better to choose from the Zanette, Besana, Veneran models..
The Finnish cabinet furniture Niemi, Wermo, Peltola, ISKU also deserves special attention. These are high quality and ergonomic models made of high quality materials..
How to choose?
When choosing a wardrobe, you should pay attention to the following points:
- Dimensions. Furniture for storing clothes is selected in accordance with the size of the room in which it will be installed. If the bedroom or living room is spacious, then a large roomy wardrobe will look quite appropriate in it. The small size of the room presupposes the presence of a small closet that will not “eat up” all the useful space;
- Roominess. The closet should fit as many different types of clothes as possible. And for this, shelves, and drawers, and a bar for hangers should be provided in it;
- Color and style. The wardrobe must necessarily match the style and color scheme of the interior of the room. If this is a nursery for a girl, then the wardrobe can be in a classic, rustic or modern style, in white, beige or pink colors. For boys, a wardrobe in a modern style, monochromatic or with images of your favorite characters, is more suitable. In the living room, a classic or modern wardrobe will look more appropriate;
- Opening type. An important detail that you definitely need to pay attention to;
If the wardrobe will be installed in a small room or in a small hallway, it is better if the opening is sliding.
- Material. When choosing a wardrobe, it is better to focus on furniture made of higher quality and environmentally friendly materials (ideally, an array, at least pine), because the health of family members is more expensive than any of the most beautiful furniture;
- Build quality. You should carefully examine the wardrobe and check whether all the elements are well fastened, whether the doors are evenly hung, whether the shelves are well fixed, whether the pull-out mechanisms are working, whether the whole structure is stable
Location matters. The most convenient option for placing the cabinet is between two walls. This is how the space of the room is used most efficiently. If the door is located in the center of a short wall, then you can try installing two cabinets on either side of it. And hang a mezzanine above the door. It will turn out to be a kind of portal.
For complex spaces and hallways, a corner wardrobe is well suited. The most widely used way of placing a wardrobe is wall-mounted. This option works best in large spaces. In small rooms, two identical wardrobes will look good, lined up along the wall – on both sides of the sofa or bed.
Beautiful examples in the interior
Wall-to-ceiling wardrobe in the bedroom. Its dimensions are stunning, and the glossy surface of the doors allows you to visually make the room even more spacious..
Wardrobe portal for the bedroom. This arrangement of the wardrobe allows you to save space and place a large number of things..
Corner wardrobe in the interior of a spacious bedroom looks light and weightless due to white color and mirrors.
Classic interior with double wardrobe. A desktop, an armchair, a wardrobe, a flowerpot, echoing in color in the details, make up a single and unique composition
Small bedroom. The combination of the dark color of the wardrobe and the light color of the walls does not make the room smaller, but looks harmonious and calm.
You will learn how to make a wardrobe with your own hands in the following video..