The modern interior is the embodiment of unusual design ideas, thanks to which the house turns into a multifunctional, practical and cozy island of life. The design of housing must be treated with great responsibility, because each room in the house is unique in its own way, as it fulfills a specific purpose. Special attention should be paid to the entrance hall, which is often called the “face” of the owners..
Not only the general appearance of the home depends on the correct organization of its space and wall decoration, but also an impression is formed about the owners of the house, their tastes, preferences.
Recently, decorative plaster has found wide application in the finishing design of hallways. This material, unique in structure, is well suited for both apartments and houses. Thanks to a huge selection of colors and textures, decorative plaster in the interior of the hallway allows you to create a calm home atmosphere, filling the room with coziness. The widespread use of decorative plaster is also due to its high performance properties, unusual appearance and choice of colors.
This material is a modern finishing product for walls and ceilings. Plaster consists of natural and artificial ingredients and is used in finishing works to create embossed surfaces, unusual compositions and patterns. Due to the unique structure, the building material allows you to hide cracks, removes wall defects, their irregularities.
Decorative plaster is available in a wide range of shades. It can be either monochromatic or with the addition of copper, gold, silver fibers. Walls decorated with mother-of-pearl look also unusual..
The unusual texture of the material makes the design of the hallway interesting, allowing it to be supplemented with various imitations in the form of fabrics, suede, paper, palm leaves, velvet and natural stones. Plaster is applied in different ways, so the surface can be both smooth and embossed.. In addition, decorative plaster has many advantages:
- Durability and practicality. If the application technique is properly followed, the surface of the walls or ceiling turns out to be excellent, such a coating does not chip, crack, and does not crumble. The material is characterized by high resistance to external influences.
- Disguise. Thanks to this product, you can hide all cracks and eliminate irregularities..
- Multifunctionality. The plaster is suitable for finishing all types of surfaces. It can be applied both to concrete, wood, brick.
- Resistant to moisture and temperature extremes.
- Environmental friendliness. The product contains components that are not harmful to human health.
Despite the huge presence of positive characteristics, plaster also has disadvantages. First of all, this is a high price, which includes the cost of material and finishing work. In addition, the plaster is difficult to dismantle, and when applied, the surface must be carefully prepared and impregnated with a special primer..
Today, the surface of the walls and ceiling can be decorated in different ways, using a certain class of plaster for this. A material with a conventional composition is used when the surface needs to be given a flat surface with an ideal structure, and to obtain gloss, embossing effect and imitation of natural materials, plaster with a special composition is chosen.
Therefore, depending on the type of filler, the following types of decorative plaster are distinguished:
The first and second versions of the material are classified as embossed types of plaster, since they create roughness on the surface. As for the Venetian finish, it is used to obtain an even, smooth structure. All of the above products are characterized by durability, strength and operational safety.
Decorative plaster also differs in the presence of a binder in its composition and is divided into the following types:
- Acrylic. The main ingredient of the material is acrylic resin, thanks to which an elastic layer is applied. In addition to organic elements, such plaster also contains artificial pigments that provide the solution with various colors..
- Mineral. The material is based on cement. The product is produced in dry form, before the start of finishing work, it is diluted with water. Light tones are considered standard shades of such plaster..
- Silicate. Its binder is liquid glass. Differs in increased strength and resistance to fungi, mold and moisture. The service life of such a finish can exceed 50 years..
- Silicone. It is made on the basis of synthetic resins. Does not attract dust, is not afraid of moisture and is resistant to ultraviolet rays. Available in ready-to-work mixes, available in a wide range of colors.
In decorative finishes, textured plaster is considered the most popular. It is characterized by a high bond and provides a coarse structure to the surface. The fillers of this product are mineral chips, wood, small stones and natural flax fibers..
It is used for covering concrete, wood, brick and plastered surfaces. Due to the fact that the textured plaster contains unique particles, it allows you to hide all the irregularities in the walls and ceilings. Before coating, as a rule, it is not required to additionally prepare the working base, the area for decoration is enough to clean and dry well. After finishing, the textured layer becomes hard, does not allow moisture and air to pass through, so the resulting surface can have an imitation of fabric, stone, leather or wood.
Textured plaster is represented by the following subspecies:
- Lamb. Represents granular stones of various sizes.
- Bark beetle. Allows you to get original compositions with a grooved texture.
- Fur coat. The appearance of the finish resembles a small “pile”.
Good qualities are also characterized by structural plaster. Its main advantage is considered to be a thin layer. The composition of the material includes elements of quartz and marble chips. After applying the plaster, the surface acquires a non-uniform granular texture. Suitable material for decorating hallways, it is odorless and dries quickly.
Deserves special attention Venetian plaster. It is a coating consisting of many layers. It is made on the basis of slaked lime and marble chips. After completing this finish, the surface of the walls visually resembles onyx or marble..
To create a beautiful design, working with Venetian plaster requires special material and craftsmanship. It is applied in six layers, each of which is thoroughly dried. As a rule, this type of decoration is chosen for classical and antique styles. It is worth noting that in addition to the stone surface, the material can give the walls a surface that imitates precious metals if painted with colored pigments..
In addition to the main types of plaster, in modern construction, its unusual varieties are also used:
- Colored. Consists of marble chips and acrylic. It is well applied to walls, characterized by strength and moisture resistance. Her palette is presented in 15 shades. Apply in one coat on well prepared substrate.
- Roller. It is made from natural fillers. After application creates the effect of small depressions, channels.
- Plastic latex. Gives the surface a light gloss, outwardly resembles patterns of natural stone with reliefs. Washes well, does not form cracks. The material lends itself to dyeing in different colors.
- Silk. Visually, it does not differ in any way from natural fabric. It is composed of mother-of-pearl threads that imitate the play of silk. It can be painted in any shade. Moisture-resistant, so easy to clean.
- Rain. After decoration, the coating acquires a transparent structure with a mother-of-pearl sheen. Composed of fine sand, available in basic colors, but can be easily tinted.
Which is better
In the decoration of the hallway, it is recommended to use plaster that has not only an attractive appearance, but also has high performance. Textured plaster is considered the right choice in this case.. Its main advantages include the following:
- Easy to care for. It is quickly cleared of dust and dirt. Flame retardant and not afraid of moisture.
- Resistance to mechanical damage.
- Huge selection of colors and textures.
- Quickly restored.
- Applies well to any surface.
Depending on the style in which the hallway will be decorated, you can select various subspecies of this plaster. Most often, they prefer to use a bark beetle in the decoration of hallways, it has an original relief, goes well with any style.
How to choose
Before you start finishing work in the hallway, you should first select the material for the decoration. Today on the construction market there is a wide selection of decorative plaster, but in order to acquire it correctly, it is worth considering the following criteria:
- Binding component
- Laying method.
In addition, it is important to pay attention specifically to products for interior decoration, since plaster for outdoor use is significantly different in appearance and properties..
For decoration of an apartment or house, a texture with drawings is well suited. Before buying, it is advisable to look at samples of the material and imagine the future appearance of the hallway in a new decoration. It is also important to take into account the technical characteristics and features of the room..
How to apply
Decorative plaster, like other building material, requires the correct execution of work and technologies, therefore, before starting finishing, it is necessary to carefully prepare the surface of the walls: for this they are completely cleaned to the base, then dust is removed from the room, it is well vacuumed and wiped with a damp cloth. To prevent material from falling on the floor during repairs, all open spaces in the room are covered with foil. Then the walls are treated with a primer (it will ensure in the future better adhesion of the solution to the surface) and the color of the future composition is chosen.
It is important to remember that the plaster is applied on a light base. The solution is applied to the work area and carefully leveled with a rubber spatula..
Then you can make a texture or patterns, for this special tools are sold in the form of rollers with ready-made patterns. When the first layer has dried, proceed to coating with the second layer. It is important that the solution is applied thinly, otherwise the relief will turn out to be invisible..
If the first layer of wall decoration must be necessarily light, then the second can be chosen darker, as this will help to add volume to the drawn texture. After applying the relief, you need to think about the safety and durability of the pattern. For this, a sealant is additionally used, the composition is coated with it and is waited for complete drying. Thanks to the rich texture and variety of colors of the material, you can create unusual and original patterns with your own hands..
Hallway decoration requires a special approach. Depending on its style, the appropriate type of wall covering is selected. Designers recommend using monochromatic plaster “bark beetle” for these rooms; it can also be used to cover surfaces in the corridor..
Decorations that imitate the laying of stone or brick look beautiful in the hallway, while, to obtain an unusual look, it is best to decorate them with delicate ornaments or engravings.
If the room is decorated in modern style, you can choose bright compositions for the walls, consisting of contrasting colors. As for country and Provence, light, unobtrusive tones suit them..
Tips from the designer on choosing decorative plaster can be seen in the video below.