Thermal insulating paint is a relatively new product, for which it is often called nano-paint. Nevertheless, its indisputable advantages have already been appreciated by a large number of consumers. The main plus of house insulation with the help of such material is the preservation of heat in the room, which significantly minimizes the cost of electricity or fuel.
Heat insulating paint includes the following elements:
- acrylic dispersion;
- various additives (foamed glass, silicone balls, fiberglass and others).
It is on the volume of additives in the composition of the paint that its thermal properties depend.. When applied, this paint and varnish product forms a dense layer with a thickness of about 2-4 millimeters – it is able to replace a larger amount of traditional insulation. The paint is applied in an even layer and is well distributed over the entire surface to be treated. It is possible to use it on hard-to-reach objects with different coatings.
Externally, heat-insulating paint looks like a gray or white paste. For ease of application, it is advisable to use a spray gun, in this case, the surface treatment will be the most uniform, and the coating will look smooth and even.
The service life of the paint and varnish mixture, declared by the manufacturers, is 12-40 years. It directly depends on the external conditions affecting the material. The heat paint is moisture resistant, does not lose its properties and can be used with a temperature range from -50 to +250 degrees Celsius.
Scope of application
Heat paints have a fairly wide range of applications. They can be used both for insulating facades and applied for interior decoration of premises and thermal insulation of basements. Application to pipes, water pipes, gas pipelines and heating boilers significantly reduces heat loss.
Paints can be used to process various containers, metal structures, they are used to insulate cars. Effective in agricultural and industrial production.
Due to the wide scope of use, heat-insulating paints may well become an alternative to standard insulation.
Thermal insulation functions are directly dependent on the amount of fillers in the paint. One of the advantages of such a paint and varnish mixture is the ability to apply to any surface.. Most manufacturers recommend 3 coats of paint.
It is very important to completely dry each previous coat before applying a new one. How strong the thermal insulation effect is depends on the thickness of the applied material layer..
Advantages and disadvantages
What to give preference to – heat paint or standard heaters – can be decided by considering the main advantages and disadvantages of the paint and varnish mixture based on consumer reviews.
Thermal insulating paint has the following advantages:
- easy to use, no special skills are required to work with it;
- evenly applied, hides coating defects;
- heating and electricity costs due to its properties can be significantly reduced;
- hypoallergenic, non-toxic, does not contain harmful impurities;
- reacts firmly to ultraviolet radiation;
- calmly interacts with an aggressive environment, is able to withstand various temperatures and mechanical stress;
- differs in fire resistance;
- the service life of such a material is quite long, while the heat-saving properties are retained throughout the entire period of operation;
- the application of a heat-insulating mixture helps to prevent the appearance of mold and mildew, as well as to avoid corrosion on metal surfaces;
- protects facades from destruction;
- no condensation at low temperatures.
However, there are also disadvantages that make some consumers refuse to use this type of coating. First of all, this is a rather high price for materials. Besides, achieving the best effect requires the use of a large volume of paint.
It will also be inappropriate to insulate the premises with this type of material as the main.
The main and main feature of the paint is heat saving. This saves on heating and electricity costs..
It should be noted the protective function of the paint. The room is protected from cold and heat loss. Corrosion of processed metal objects is excluded, their surface is protected from the appearance of fungus and mold. The strengthening function is expressed in extending the service life of the treated surface.
Environmental friendliness of the heat paint allows you to use it for various types of work. The mixture is non-toxic and does not cause any harm to health.
Types of warm paints
Thermal insulating paints can be classified according to their composition. The water-based mixture is used mainly for thermal insulation of pipes. Acrylic-based paint can be applied to any surface, it is considered universal.
Paints and varnishes are also divided according to the objects of application. Versatile views are used to work with interior and exterior walls, ceilings and floors. Facade is used exclusively for outdoor work, resistant to temperature and moisture. Insulating paints are used to coat metal elements, ventilation, gas and water pipelines.
Criterias of choice
When choosing a heat-insulating paint, you need to take into account its characteristics and the types of proposed work. Much depends on the object of application and its location, as well as the type of surface. It will be useful to study the most frequently offered manufacturers on the market and get acquainted with the opinion of buyers about their products..
For example, for work carried out outside the premises, special attention should be paid to the water resistance indicators and the ability of the mixture not to lose its properties in both cold and hot weather. For interior finishing works, paint is required that does not emit harmful substances. Heat materials with maximum heat resistance are used for pipe painting..
It is also necessary to calculate the most accurate amount of mixture that will be required for work. First of all, it depends on the area on which it is planned to apply thermal paint. The surface of the object plays an important role. Overruns when working with wood, concrete and brick can be up to 10 percent, with metal products – up to 6 percent.
If there are defects on the coating, this can significantly increase the consumption of paint and varnish heat mixture. With cracks, protrusions and other features, much more material will be consumed. Overruns can grow up to 30-40 percent.
It is necessary to take into account what thickness of paint will be applied, as well as the number of layers. For various materials, manufacturers recommend using a different layer thickness, for example, 1.5 millimeters of the mixture is enough for concrete, 2 millimeters for wood, but brick, metal, expanded clay concrete must be covered with a layer of 2.5 millimeters.
Thermal insulating paints are considered a fairly new product on the market, so they are not widely used at the present time. In addition, they are more expensive than conventional paints and varnishes. The use of thermal mixtures can be equated with painting work. If possible, it is better to contact professional craftsmen.
The technology for applying thermal paints is similar to conventional ones. We must not forget that each layer must be completely dried before applying a new one. The effect of thermal insulation directly depends on the number of layers. This is due to the special structure of the mixtures.
After complete drying, a thermal film appears on the surface. Its thermal conductivity is lower than that of conventional heaters. It is very thin, due to this, several layers of coating are necessary. Their number is individual, in some cases it is permissible to apply up to 10 layers of thermal paint.
The thermal insulation compound can be applied to objects of various shapes and sizes. It is most convenient to use a spray gun, but there is nothing to worry about if you work with a regular paint brush.. The main thing is that in the end the paint is evenly distributed..
When working indoors, it is recommended to use a respirator in order not to inhale ceramic microparticles. In addition, staining can take a long time..
Major manufacturers of thermal paints
Insulation paints are now becoming more widespread due to their positive characteristics, therefore they are on sale in almost all specialized stores. Some manufacturers are well established and their products are used quite often. Consider the most famous of them.
Heat-insulating paint “Korund” represents a wide range of heat mixtures for various areas. The products are used for cooling boilers, steam lines and heating systems. To reduce heat loss, the mixture is used for outdoor work. Indoors, it can perform two functions – both heat-insulating and decorative. It is often used for interior decoration of public spaces. Suitable for works carried out in bathrooms, as due to its properties it copes with mold and mildew, in addition, it is water resistant.
Available in 4 types.
- “Korund Classic”. It is used both for external and internal work. Withstands temperatures from -60 to +250 degrees Celsius.
- “Korund Antikor”. It is used when working with metal products. Protects against corrosion.
- “Corundum Winter”. It makes it possible to apply paint in the winter season at temperatures up to -10 degrees. Used primarily for outdoor work.
- “Korund Facade”. It is used for thermal insulation of facades. Well protects the surface from moisture. When applying, you need to remember that the thickness of each layer should not be less than 1 millimeter..
Thermal insulating paint “Astratek” is considered environmentally friendly, since it does not contain organic solvents. Its protective layer is up to 3 millimeters thick. The service life is 15-30 years. Suitable for thermal insulation of various surfaces, including the most difficult to access, with temperatures up to 150 degrees.
Available in 3 types.
- “Astratek Universal”. It is used for work both indoors and outdoors. Made in white and gray. If necessary, the mixture can be diluted with water. Withstands temperatures from -60 to +260 degrees.
- “Astratek Metal”. Gray heat paint with anti-corrosion effect. Used when working with metal, suitable for external and internal work.
- “Astratek Facade”. Used when working with building facades. Has a water-repellent effect. White color. Easy to apply due to its viscosity.
Heat-insulating paint “Bronya” is actually a liquid ceramic coating. It is used for both interior and facade work. Ideal for insulating pipes and large liquid tanks. Used for painting machinery.
Available in 4 types.
- “Armor Classic”. Provides thermal insulation for pipelines and heating systems. Perfectly protects against external negative influences.
- “Bronya Antikor”. It is used when working with metal products. Protects against rust.
- “Armor Winter”. It can be used in the cold season at temperatures down to -35 degrees. Frost-resistant during further operation.
- “Bronya Facade”. Provides thermal insulation for facades. It is applied in layers with a thickness of at least 1 millimeter. Protects against mold and mildew.
Heat retention experiment with paint see below.