A better name than Apron is hard to come up with for this part of the kitchen. Like the hostess’s apron, it creates a working mood, protects the walls from splashes, heat and moisture. This cloth should be easy to clean, durable and resistant to moisture, heat and household chemicals. If you have already roughly decided how your new kitchen will look like, then it’s time to think about an apron and decide on its dimensions..
What sizes depend on
Kitchen sets are often chosen for their appearance and budget, forgetting about such an important parameter as growth. Because the recommended height of some cabinets is more suitable for tall people, while others will be extremely uncomfortable. Therefore, the size of the apron and its position are highly dependent on your personality. But the headset itself, its design and kitchen appliances can leave an imprint on the measurements of the protective sheet. There are no trifles here, because we want to get pleasure and pleasure from the new cuisine.!
This parameter determines at what height the canvas will be located, its position relative to the floor. It depends on several parameters:
- Working surface height;
- Features of technology – the choice of free-standing and built-in elements;
- Height of wall cabinets;
Hood model and position
The optimal level of the working surface depends on human height and is usually assumed to be 85-91 cm.Taller people will be more comfortable working on a surface located at a height of 95 cm.
Surprisingly, the model of the stove and washing machine in the kitchen also leaves its mark. If their height coincides with the height of the working surface (built-in hob, washing machine is “hidden” under the common tabletop), then this will greatly simplify the calculations. In practice, this technique is knocked out of the headset: it differs in height, it stands separately. The apron on the walls helps to “assemble” a complex composition and unite the space, and its height should be at the level of the lowest object (most often it is a slab). At the same time, the apron is slightly “lowered” by a couple of centimeters (allowances are made) so that the wall does not look behind the slab.
The height of the wall cabinets is extremely important in determining the size of the backsplash. Usually they are hung so that the bottom of the cabinet is at a height of 135-150 cm from the floor (again, we focus on the growth of the owners). Then 45-60 cm remains between the working surface and the bottom of the canopy, for tall people this border can be placed higher – 65 cm above the tabletop level. These numbers can be found in GOSTs with the proviso that these are recommended values, they can be changed.
The height of the ceilings in the kitchen also affects the placement of wall cabinets. Here you can focus on the position of the pipes (if they pass on the walls) and the ventilation hole. In a kitchen with a high ceiling, you can “roam” using the maximum parameters. Then the feeling of crampedness will not be even in a small kitchen, and the work surfaces will be functional, they will not turn into just shelves for “everything else”. Please note that designers do not recommend placing cabinets and shelves above 2.1 m.
How to determine the width?
The width of the apron is the size of the canvas from the top to the bottom of its edge. It should cover the walls between the work surface and that part of the headset and the hood that is hung on the walls. Therefore, to protect the walls themselves, the craftsmen usually take into account the possible gap and add 2 cm to the width for an allowance. Therefore, the width of the apron can reach from 47 cm (the minimum distance between the work surface and wall units is 45 cm + 2 cm allowances) to 117 cm.
What is the last figure made up of? This is the distance from the work surface to the wall cabinet / height of the hood / upper border of the wall cabinet + allowances. The upper border of the wall cabinet will be of interest in cases where part of the apron turns out to be “free” – there will be no cabinets or hoods above it. The standards provide for such a space that the width of the canvas can be wider – even up to the ceiling.
What else can affect the size?
Sometimes independent measurements turn out to be wrong, because we forget to take into account the height of the floor. Typically, the floor height has differences. To insure yourself, you will need to measure the height of the levels of the hinged part of the headset and the working surface every 0.5 m of length.
When allowances are needed?
Many craftsmen, making measurements, can easily say whether an allowance will be needed or not. If you measure yourself, then you need to focus on how the headset will stand (especially its lower part) – close to the wall or not. It depends on the plinth, the verticality of the wall, how smooth they are.. If the skirting board cannot be dismantled, there is no slanting cut at the bottom of the furniture cabinets or it is “too small”, the walls are uneven, then, most likely, there may be a gap between the wall covered by the apron and the table top. In general, there are two possible options:
- The furniture stands close to the kitchen wall – no allowances are made, the measurement is made so that then the canopy, apron and the working surface are in close contact, and there are no gaps. This option is also chosen in cases where the thickness of the apron turns out to be significant.
- The furniture stands next to the wall, with a small distance between them. Allowances are necessary here, they will “cover” the visual holes. If the apron fabric is relatively thin and does not affect the density of contact, then 2 cm of the margin is also left.
- Another nuance is the side view. If the kitchen set is located at an angle and the joint of all parts is visible (canopy, apron, bottom of the set, wall), then you need to think over the aesthetics. So that the kitchen is made in a single design, but also the side view is pleasant.
Calculations of the size of the apron depend on the number of canvases (if the kitchen is located not on one wall, but on two or more), the material of the apron and its solution. The final version in 3d models is similar to a layout, but you can also sketch out a simplified version on paper – this is very clear and schematic. If there is a need to “assemble” the apron from large component parts, then the fitting is carried out as tightly as possible so that the joints are not noticeable.
If everything is clear with the height of the apron, the main question arises because of the width – it depends on the height of the canopy, the presence of those elements that can be knocked out of the general scenario (separate, non-built equipment, hood, cabinets or pencil cases of a different height, free space above the work surface ). The part of the wall that will be behind full-size cabinets or appliances (tall refrigerators, freezers, etc.) is usually not decorated with a canvas. Such decor would be too expensive and non-functional..
The length of the backsplash depends on the length of the kitchen unit and the position of the stove and sink in the kitchen. If they are at the end of the group (in one or different), then an additional part of the wall must be protected (50-70 cm or by the size of the depth of the working surface – from the wall to the outer edge). If the side fit (i.e., the position of the cabinets on the wall along the length) at the top and bottom of the headset coincide, then the apron can be made straight (including this part of the wall covered by other furniture or appliances) or with a slight allowance along the length. If not, then depending on the material and its thickness, the corner is rounded or left straight.
For example, the length of the kitchen wall and the selected headset is 3 m, the sink and stove are not on the edge. The height of the lower part is 90 cm, the height of the canopy (from the floor) is 1.4 m, a thin cloth is used (allowances are needed). The hood is at a standard height. We get the main dimensions 300cm * 52cm, at the position of the hood (strictly above the stove) width – 75cm, apron height – 88 cm.
The main materials used for the manufacture of protective sheets are ceramics, glass, MDF panels, wood, plastic, less often – stone (too expensive and heavy), metal sheets. What to consider when choosing an apron?
- Ceramic tiles have their own sizes. Usually the side of one tile is 10, 20 or 30 cm.Therefore, if you have not yet chosen a specific pattern and do not know how to lay it out, then it is more convenient to calculate the width of the canvas as 60 cm.Then there will be no problems with any size. Cons – cost, the need for additional installation work, plus – endurance and durability.
- MDF is a budget option, varied in design, easy to work with, allows you to work with the most complex “sizes”. But it is the most “unstable” to humidity, it will have to be changed before the others. The same disadvantages are characteristic of a wooden apron..
- Tempered glass, stone and porcelain stoneware are chosen by few. These are relatively expensive materials, very interesting in the interior. Glass is resistant to moisture, steam and heat, but not always mechanical shock. Such materials are used only on order and they require high accuracy of measurements..
But what about the sockets?
First of all, you need to outline those sockets that are already in your kitchen and coincide with the position of the future apron. Secondly, think about what you want to add (from technology) to your kitchen project. Where will the device itself stand? How long is his cord? Is it possible to use existing sockets or their number needs to be increased, how will you do it?
After determining how many sockets you need, whether there will be splitters, you still have to decide their position on the wall with an apron:
- The option “under the countertop” is not always ergonomic and convenient, especially for small-sized equipment used “on occasion” – coffee makers, coffee grinders, mixers, etc .;
- The sockets should be located away from water and the stove (if possible);
- It is more convenient to use double-triple models in the kitchen (the arrangement is traditionally made horizontal);
- In the kitchen, you can also use “protected” sockets – with patch covers to exclude the ingress of dust and moisture on the contacts.
Why is this needed? If we forget about electrical connectors, then we will either have to use extension cords (how many wires will you have in the kitchen?) Or make holes in the already finished apron. And there are obvious disadvantages and dangers:
- You need special equipment to make such holes and skills to “guess” on the finished canvas;
- Spending extra time on alteration and drilling (sometimes on chipping and laying the wire in the wall, subsequent roughing and finishing work) – and this is also dirt in the kitchen and new furniture, if they have already been installed, and of course, financial expenses in excess of the budget;
- Not all materials will allow you to correct mistakes yourself. In order not to damage the glass or porcelain stoneware, special tools and skills are needed; Physical strength and the need for help – to remove and then reinstall the apron after the “corrections”. It is extremely difficult to do this alone..
Installation and hood models
The standard distance between the hood and the work surface is 75 cm. This is exactly what the width of the apron is left when installing the built-in hood. Such designs exclude “splashing” on the wall next to and above any stains. But such options are “inscribed” in the upper row of furniture and are a single line.
It happens that the hob is located separately from the main furniture group, or the upper space between the wall cabinets remains incompletely filled (with special projects of induction cookers or at the request of the owners). In addition to modular hoods, a fireplace system can be used in private houses. In these cases, it is recommended to lay the apron cloth around the hood and additionally protect the adjacent area with ceramic, plastic or glass tiles, which will complement the main apron or make a beautiful contrast to it within the overall design. The tiles are laid 5-10 cm each (depending on its size). When using other materials under the hood, the apron goes 1 cm up and 3-4 from the side.
If there is an “empty” gap at the top of the headset, then the apron can align with the top line of the canopy or reach the ceiling. When using ceramics, can also be laid at this height.
You can talk a lot about the right kitchen, but only exceptional functionality, taking into account your habits and taste, will make it so. And our tips and a selection of photos will only help you decide on the design and choose the best options.