It’s not often that you see a ceramic sink in your kitchen. As a rule, this is due to the widespread opinion that ceramics is a very unreliable, fragile and unstable material. But if it were in fact, then why do many brand manufacturers do not stop producing porcelain and earthenware sanitary ware??
When choosing a sink for the kitchen, you should focus on many factors. In addition to price and quality, the combination of the sink with the overall interior is also taken into account..
It is important to understand that a sink, as a workplace, should not only be resistant to damage, but also practical and promising for future use.. Before giving up on the idea of purchasing a ceramic sink in the kitchen, it is worthwhile to understand in more detail all its disadvantages and advantages..
There is some truth in the fact that ceramic interior elements are not suitable for kitchen conditions. But that is why a ceramic kitchen sink is usually made of a special kind of material. The so-called “porcelain stoneware” is a conglomerate of standard ceramics and granite chips, which provides a fairly reliable stability. This sink demonstrates good resistance to physical damage such as shock and scratches, as well as temperature extremes..
Of course, granite elements are far from the only “addition” to standard ceramics. There are others that give the familiar material more plasticity. This approach allows you to create non-standard shapes and options for sinks, which is ideal for even the most daring design solutions.. Other advantages of a ceramic kitchen sink should be mentioned:
- Ceramics as a material is a “classic” material that creates a special atmosphere and can have a variety of design decorative elements, for example, hand-painted;
- Even with the condition of adding granite chips, or any other material, a ceramic sink is a very ecological detail of the interior;
- Unlike many other materials, ceramics are quiet. The recently popular stainless steel sink option, which attracts with its availability, does not withstand such competition. It may seem like a trifle, but it is from such trifles that comfort is formed;
- Products made from such material are very easy to clean and have good resistance to many substances and household chemicals..
At the same time, there are quite a few real disadvantages:
- Great weight. Even if you can easily lift such a sink yourself without much effort, do not try to install it yourself! It is best to entrust this work to specialists, even if you have experience in working with sinks from other materials;
- Relatively high price. The issue of affordability is the main reason why such sinks are not very popular. However, those who decided on such a purchase were able to appreciate all the superiority of ceramics over the budget “stainless steel”.
The quality of the sinks differs in many respects depending on the production technique and the materials used.. Currently, as a rule, manufacturers stop at two proven options, from which they have to choose:
- A porcelain sink is much more expensive. However, the technology of their production makes it possible to achieve a higher density of the material. Due to this, such a shell turns out to be of better quality, since it is more resistant to external damage;
- Faience sinks have slightly different qualities. Sometimes they are called the “budget” option for ceramics. Faience has a porous structure, easily absorbs moisture and fat, which, of course, makes it a very poor quality material. To eliminate this disadvantage, manufacturers cover the earthenware base with a special glaze. Once the outer layer of the glaze is damaged, the shell is likely to deteriorate immediately. In addition, over time, the glaze loses its presentable appearance, becoming covered with a kind of “cobweb” and even small cracks. This does not affect the functionality of the sink, but it is still a disadvantage, which is compensated by the lower price of the sink;
Of course, the quality of the sink also depends on the good faith of the manufacturer. Therefore, when choosing such a serious interior detail, it is better to go to professional stores and salons..
You can check the quality of ceramics yourself, doing it in the same way as when buying dishes. It is enough to knock a little with an ordinary stationery pencil on the edge of the sink. If the sound is clear and clear, then you can be sure of the good quality of the material, and if the sound is muffled, it means that there are large pores or cracks in the sink..
You should not be guided by the high prices of foreign brands. Currently, there are a lot of Russian manufacturers who can also boast of the quality of their products, which are much more affordable. At the same time, too low prices should be avoided. Saving on quality can turn into a serious disappointment, because you will have to pay the corresponding money for any really reliable plumbing..
Forms and methods of installation
The specificity of ceramics and the addition of other materials to it make it possible to achieve a wide variety of shell shapes. Someone likes an ordinary round sink, while someone is more suited to a square or even double. Here, the choice always depends on personal preferences and wishes..
It should be borne in mind that the kitchen sink is a full-fledged workplace.. That is why sinks with various additional equipment are very popular, for example, a built-in cutting board, compartments for washing vegetables and fruits, a device for shredding waste.. If you have a lot of work in the kitchen, you should also consider functionality..
Based on the size and shape of the sink, as well as wishes regarding the style of the interior, you can choose the appropriate type of installation:
- The recessed sink is considered the most interesting choice in terms of design. With this installation method, the sink itself is “recessed” into the countertop, and its edges do not rise. It is worth taking into account the combination of a countertop and a sink, but the possibilities of their combination will greatly simplify this task. For example, if you like a black sink, then you can choose a countertop made of artificial stone with imitation of marble;
- Integrated sinks are very similar to inset sinks. The only difference is that their edges stand out above the countertop, therefore they are processed more carefully;
- The simplest and most budgetary option is an overhead sink for the kitchen. It is simply installed on a pedestal, which saves you unnecessary waste and work. Only a slight “pallor” in terms of design is considered a drawback..
It is not enough to decide on the type of ceramic sink and its installation. In order to practically organize a place in the kitchen, you need to correctly arrange all the components of the interior.. Someone prefers a large free space, but someone is more comfortable if everyone is nearby. In the case of a sink, the following options are possible:
- A wall-mounted kitchen sink is the option that is most common. It is quite convenient, and its main advantage is its simplicity and practicality. This arrangement can be called universal;
- The corner sink saves space. It is ergonomic and compact, and its practicality can be provided by a double sink or additional equipment. This type is most suitable for a small kitchen or studio apartment;
- The so-called island sink is a kind of location option that is not suitable for everyone. It is not as practical as the previous ones, since it takes up a lot of space, although it can look impressive. Very often, such a sink is used only as an additional.
One of the advantages of ceramic sanitary ware, which will delight any housewife in the kitchen, is the ease of cleaning. A porcelain or earthenware sink is always covered with a special glaze. This outer layer prevents liquid or other substances from penetrating into the base material and can also protect against surface damage.. Also, the glaze is repulsive, so the ceramic sink does not absorb odors and most chemicals..
- Care of high-quality ceramics, despite all its resistance, should be regular. As a rule, manufacturers recommend cleaning at least once a week;
- When choosing a cleaning agent, one should avoid those containing any abrasive material. Fine granules and crystals can damage the glaze. On the other hand, it is resistant to various acids, so any liquid acidic agent can be used;
- If you notice a metallic mark on the surface of the sink, or any fresh stain, it can be removed with a simple damp sponge;
- Some ceramic sinks are prone to yellow stains. If they cannot be removed with the usual detergent you use on a daily basis, then use a detergent powder. It should be applied to the stain, rubbed gently and left for about 15 minutes, then removed with a damp sponge..
Despite the fact that ceramic sinks are not very popular, they cannot be considered a bad purchase. Those who decide to make a choice in favor of such a sink usually leave only positive feedback..
The properties of ceramics as a material make it possible to bring to life the most daring design decisions.. The variety of shapes is complemented by a large gradation of colors, hand-painted, patterns. Apart from the design, the ceramic kitchen sink is not inferior in functionality and practicality to other types of sinks. It can also be equipped with various additional equipment..
As for stability and durability, it is worth noting here that high-quality faience or porcelain is quite durable materials. The only question is how high-quality sink you get. Given this nuance, as well as the fact that a ceramic sink is relatively expensive, you should be very careful when choosing. It is highly recommended to contact professional salons or stores for purchase, which can not only provide a large selection of plumbing fixtures, but also have certificates and can guarantee that the quality of products meets all accepted standards..