Kitchen decoration often involves the use of special finishing materials, which cover certain areas of the room. Today, more and more often, to solve such problems, wall kitchen panels made of various types of materials began to be used..
These sheet products have appeared on the modern market quite recently, but at the same time they have already received positive reviews from many housewives. Wall panels are increasingly replacing such high-quality material as ceramic tiles in the kitchen..
Several advantages of such products should be highlighted:
- Installation of wall panels is quite simple, as the base does not need to be leveled. It is also possible to mount such structures even on walls painted or covered with other materials. The installation process does not require serious experience in this area, therefore it can be done by hand.
- The versatility allows the panels to be used not only in the kitchen, but also in offices and other residential premises. It should be noted that the wall panels are distinguished by high sound insulation characteristics, an optimal level of heat absorption and are safe for the human body. Also, the design of the product allows placing electrical cables under it with a certain level of protection..
- Ease of maintenance. The surface of the panels can be simply cleaned with a damp cloth or cloth. In this case, you can use almost all types of detergents that do not contain abrasive components. When damage occurs to an individual element, the structure of the frame makes it quite easy to replace it..
- Saving. The cost of finishing a wall with such panels is much cheaper than covering it with tiles or simply painting it. This is especially noticeable when forming large areas..
Criterias of choice
Wall panels can be used in various conditions, but they are most often used in the kitchen. When buying such products, you should take into account such features of the kitchen as:
- High humidity and high temperature. This can be the reason for the rapid destruction of the top layer of many types of finishing materials. Therefore, products that are used in such conditions must be resistant to such influences..
- Increased concentration of fat, which forms a coating on all kitchen surfaces. These substances complicate maintenance and also have a destructive effect on many surfaces..
- The presence of various chemical compounds formed during operation. Wall panels must be able to withstand such impacts and not corrode..
Please note that such products should not only be durable, but also beautiful. This forces manufacturers to create unique designs that are highly practical. Among all this diversity, several types of wall panels can be distinguished:
- Natural wood products have a unique design. They can fit into almost any interior, and also withstand significant loads.
- Plywood, chipboard, MDF and fiberboard panels. Such designs are somewhat less expensive, but have very good indicators of resistance to external pathogens..
- PVC materials. Such panels are distinguished not only by their strength and versatility, but also by a variety of patterns, which makes it possible to use them in combination with different interiors..
Please note that quality wood-based panels should be equipped with a moisture-resistant layer that will protect the products and extend their life..
We stock up on everything you need
Installation of wall panels begins with the acquisition of the required amount of materials and several additional tools:
- construction cord;
- drills and screwdrivers;
- self-tapping screws;
- wooden slats (thickness about 2 * 3 cm);
- special skirting boards (used to close various gaps and join surfaces).
Marking the surface of the walls
The next stage of this kind of repair is to calculate the number of planks and mark their future location. In most cases, the frame for wall panels looks like a rectangle with jumpers. Experts recommend leaving a distance of no more than 50 cm between the vertical slats.When plastic materials are supposed to be fastened, this value is reduced to 20-30 in order to reduce the likelihood of their easy bending from minor physical efforts.
The number of vertical and horizontal strips depends on the size of the walls and the type of panels selected for installation. Based on this, you can pre-calculate the approximate amount of such components..
Assembling the frame
Before the fastening of wooden planks is performed, experts recommend treating them with a special moisture-proof impregnation. This will significantly increase the service life of the frame and increase its resistance to the external environment..
The process of installing supports for sheet panels is correctly divided into several successive stages:
- First of all, wood slats are cut according to previously obtained dimensions. For such purposes, you can use an ordinary hacksaw..
- At this stage, the planks are fastened to the wall, which should be located along the perimeter (horizontal). To fix them, a punch and self-tapping screws are used. When carrying out such operations, you should carefully monitor the level to form even lines..
- After that, you need to set vertical jumpers between the previously fixed strips. Please note that you should not immediately attach them to the wall, but first you need to align in the same plane using a stretched thread. When everything is ready, you can screw them to the wall using self-tapping screws..
If the frame is formed in hard-to-reach places, for example, between cabinets, it is advisable to take into account not only the viewed space, but also the size of the panel itself, which should be reliably fixed in the future..
Fixing the canvas
It should be understood that the wall panel is attached in a specific order. Experts recommend starting all work from the bottom and moving from the corner to the door or window. Before proceeding with such operations, all elements must be cut to the desired size..
The algorithm for fastening such structures can be divided into several sequential stages:
- Initially, the panel is set in the correct position (level and in the right place). Then it is fixed to the wooden slats with a screwdriver or stapler. It all depends on the design of a particular product..
- After that, the second element is inserted into a special groove of the previous working panel. In this case, you also need to control the horizontal or vertical level of this product. Fixing to a tree is done in the same way as in the previous step..
- All other decorative elements are mounted in the same way. Upon completion, special skirting boards are installed at the ends, covering all defects and irregularities.
You can also install the wall panel on a special adhesive solution. This method does not require the formation of a frame, but careful alignment of the base is necessary. These options are used only for very small kitchens, where space plays an important role..