When making repairs in the kitchen, special attention should be paid to the area around the work surface, which is called a kitchen apron. This part of the kitchen should not only be beautiful, but also be highly practical. Indeed, during cooking, various incidents occur: water splashes, fat evaporates while frying meat, flour crumbles if the hostess bakes something. Therefore, the kitchen apron is the place that gets the most contamination. After numerous cleanings, it should retain its excellent appearance..
Naturally, the question arises: what material should a kitchen apron be made of in order not to be whimsical in care, but also have a stylish appearance and at the same time be inexpensive?
Kitchen aprons made of MDF with photo printing meet these requirements. This novelty appeared on the market not so long ago, but due to its versatility and unusual appearance, it was widespread and a large number of positive reviews..
Let’s take a closer look at this new product and try to understand it..
What is it?
MDF is a fiberboard that has a medium density. Wood shavings are pressed together with a special glue, acting on them with high pressure and high temperature. MDF boards made of high-quality material are much safer than chipboard, in terms of environmental qualities they are practically in no way inferior to natural wood.
Photo printing on MDF board can be applied in one of the following ways:
- The printed film is glued to the MDF panel – this is the cheapest way to apply decor, but it is also the most short-lived option. Panels made in this way are afraid of moisture and temperature drops.
- The drawing is applied to acrylic plastic, covered with a layer of varnish on top, which protects the surface from damage. It is somewhat more expensive than the first option, and its quality is better than the previous analogue.
- The image is applied to the panel, the top is covered with several layers of varnish, which has a high gloss effect. In the manufacture of such MDF panels with photo printing, the method is used "hot lining". A kitchen apron made of this material is strong and durable, but also has a higher price compared to the previous two options. An example of such MDF panels for the kitchen can be panels from the well-known manufacturer Albico.
MDF panels with photo printing for the kitchen can have a glossy, matte surface or embossing. The embossed finish, imitating bamboo or made for wood or stone, looks very natural and natural. The only drawback is that such a coating is rather difficult to clean from dirt..
Compared to other kitchen decor, MDF boards with photo printing have a lot of advantages that distinguish them favorably against the background of other wall coverings:
- Easy and simple installation without the use of special tools. You can install MDF panels yourself, without any help.
- Protective coating on each panel.
- High durability – MDF panels with photo printing are not afraid of temperature changes, scratches and dirt. They are coated with a long-lasting gloss.
- Do not fade in the sun, retaining their original appearance for many years.
- Quite affordable price compared to other materials that are used for wall decoration. A kitchen apron made of MDF with a photo print will cost you much less than a similar one made of ceramic tiles..
- A huge selection of various textures will allow you to ideally fit such a kitchen apron into various interiors and room designs.
- MDF boards do not weigh a lot, for example, the same tiles, much heavier than them.
- They do not cause allergies, since environmentally friendly materials are used in the manufacturing process.
Stopping your choice on a kitchen apron made of MDF with photo printing, give preference to the type that is impregnated from a fire-fighting composition. Thus, you will protect your kitchen from sudden fire..
Like any other coating, MDF panels with photo printing have some negative features..
The main disadvantages of a kitchen apron made of MDF with photo printing:
- If you attach the panels poorly, over time they can move away from the wall..
- Chemicals coming into contact with the surface of a printed MDF kitchen apron can damage its appearance..
In order to choose an apron from MDF with photo printing, which will be of high quality and suitable for the kitchen, you need to pay attention to some points:
- Choose an MDF board with a thickness of 3 to 10 mm. These are optimal parameters that will not take away useful space, which is often quite limited in the kitchen..
- Stop your choice on MDF board, which is covered with plastic, it is more durable and wear-resistant than other analogues.
- Check the product quality certificate to be sure you are using safe and harmless materials.
If you decide not to hang kitchen hanging cabinets on some wall, then it can be completely decorated with MDF panels with photo printing, this will allow the kitchen to become a warmer and quieter room..
If your kitchen is made in light colors, then you can opt for a kitchen apron with a pattern of flowers, butterflies, ocean, nature. A bright apron made of MDF with photo printing will dilute the room, adding colors to it.
The image of the city at night will add zest to the kitchen, made in a modern style or minimalist style..
If you have a small kitchen, then opt for a light-colored apron made of MDF panels with photo printing.
Kitchen furniture in bright colors is well balanced by MDF panels with a natural texture, made "under the tree", bamboo or stone. But such an apron should be in harmony with the flooring..
An apron made using MDF panels with 3D printing will become an extraordinary decor element, transforming the kitchen space and giving it a completely new, stylish and extraordinary appearance.
It is very easy to install MDF panels for the kitchen, even a beginner can cope with this task. Try to patch up large holes, pull out protruding carnations, or remove old wallpaper or tiles. Before installing the kitchen apron, the walls must be treated with an anti-fungus compound so that mold does not form under it..
On the MDF board, which will be used as a kitchen apron, be sure to cut holes for sockets and switches.
It is necessary to attach a mounting plate that will support the MDF panels while they are fastened. After the installation is completed, it will need to be removed. You can attach the bar with a dowel. Be sure to check that it is connected exactly, for this use the level.
There are two most popular mounting methods:
Glueing on liquid nails is the easiest and fastest way, since you don’t have to drill holes. It is suitable for flat walls:
- lay the panel on a horizontal surface with the back on top;
- apply special glue (liquid nails);
- place the panel against the wall, press it down and leave to dry for 14 – 20 hours.
Install with wooden slats – this method will help to hide curved walls and surface irregularities:
- make holes in the wall and screw in the dowels;
- install self-tapping screws and wooden slats;
- make small holes in the MDF panels to keep them from cracking;
- attach a kitchen apron;
- use decorative strips to cover the protruding parts of the bolt. This will make the backsplash look more tidy..
It is imperative to process the ends of a kitchen apron made of MDF panels with photo printing. The end strips will help to do this, they need to be glued so that they hold better. They can be chosen in exactly the same shade as the panels or, conversely, in a contrasting color, forming a kind of frame.
The gaps between the kitchen backsplash and the furniture must be repaired using a plastic skirting board, which must be glued.
Using a kitchen apron made of MDF panels with photo printing, you can easily transform the kitchen room by adding a bright and extraordinary accent to it or complementing the overall color scheme. Be sure to try to harmoniously fit the kitchen apron into the interior and design of the room, and then your kitchen will become pride, and you will be happy to receive friends and relatives there..