A pencil case can be compared to a high-rise building among small houses. Moreover, it performs the same function – to accommodate as much as possible with a minimum occupied area. This quality has allowed him to become an irreplaceable part of kitchen furniture. The pencil case has become especially valuable in our time, when kitchens are filled with many devices designed to facilitate cooking, but require space for them, such as a refrigerator, oven, microwave oven, food combines, coffee makers, mixers, blenders, etc. A pencil case, or as it is also called, a column, will allow all these items to find their convenient place. With its help, you can hide one, and make the other more visible. That is, we can say that such a piece of furniture is multifunctional, ergonomic and convenient to use..
There is a wide range of kitchen cabinet models. Each of them has its own direction of use..
By design, they are:
- With doors, which makes it possible to hide from the eyes a lot of things, dishes, appliances that are not needed so often. It is also convenient to store stocks of food, spices, small things in the kitchen behind the doors. But this option can also be performed with transparent doors, then the pencil case can act as a buffet.
- Open cabinets look good in small kitchens, they do not make the interior more bulky. This option speeds up access to items. And they can also be used as an opportunity to create a decorative element with filling the shelves with vases, dishes, flowers, etc..
- Cabinets designed for built-in appliances, refrigerator, microwave oven, dishwasher, oven, etc. They can be made both in the open version and have doors.
- Modern kitchens use cabinets, pencil cases that can be pulled out or rolled out. Their space is made in the form of specialized boxes, nets, shelves, sections, convenient for storing a large number of necessary items..
Choosing a pencil case is not much different from choosing other pieces of furniture. Of course, it all starts with dimensions. It is important here that the pencil case fits organically into the existing interior. This means that its dimensions should ideally correspond to the dimensions of the cabinets in depth and height. The width of the pencil case will be determined by its functional purpose or available free space..
Knowing that a pencil case brings additional convenience into our life, we need to decide what kind of filling it will have. It can be just shelves at different heights, drawers, sliding bottom shelves, niches for built-in appliances.
An important point of choice is the material of manufacture, the usual option for the economy class is chipboard or MDF. More expensive and durable natural wood.
And, of course, the choice will be tough when it comes to design. The popularity of the pencil case is high; accordingly, many designers are trying to offer more and more new options. There are pencil cases with full glass doors, different colors are used, including bright and bold ones. For example, now lemon pencil cases in yellow or yellow-green colors look very stylish. This color fills the kitchen with sunshine and mood. The choice is large, but the solution should be based on the interior of the kitchen, its stylistic focus.
Examples of placement in the interior
The pencil case easily fits into any style and design of the kitchen with the right choice of model and color.
- If your kitchen is designed in a modern style, then pencil cases with a matte or glossy finish using plastic, film or enamel are appropriate here. The colors are also not limited to traditional light, discreet colors. Now more and more often the choice is made towards bright, but not flashy colors, or a combination of two colors. It is also possible to play on the contrast of white and black, white and blue, beige and chocolate.
- For lovers of hi-tech, pencil cases of strict shapes with an aluminum profile, a minimum number of elements of beige, gray or blue tones are suitable..
- Those choosing a rustic style can stay on a wooden or wood-like pencil case, without frills, rather, a little rough.
- A pencil case with open shelves will perfectly fit into a Mediterranean-style kitchen. In addition, in such a kitchen, it would be very appropriate to hide household appliances in a pencil case with doors. Because the style is old-fashioned and she doesn’t really suit him.
- It is also important to use pencil cases for an oven, microwave and other appliances in the kitchen in a minimalist style. The use of pencil cases for equipment allows you to make it more convenient to use due to the selection of the installation height. Monochromatic pencil cases of clear lines without decor are appropriate here..
- For the Art Nouveau style, when designing a pencil case, built-in appliances will be an element of decor, the use of lighting here will be very appropriate.
- In the classical style, traditional elements of furniture decor, cornices, wooden linings, pilasters, arches will look harmonious. Built-in appliances are selected and installed in calm, discreet colors.
How to do it yourself
The desire to create always lives in a person, and even with a wide selection of furniture, there are those who want to do everything themselves. For them, you can advise the following.
- It is not difficult to make a pencil case cabinet if you have little skills in working with tools for manufacturing, scrupulousness in work and the ability to read drawings.
- It all starts with choosing what kind of pencil case you want to make, for appliances, with shelves for dishes, with drawers for groceries or something else. This will determine its design, dimensions, materials used for shelves, the presence of doors.
- The next step is to complete the drawing, taking into account the dimensions that your cabinet should fit into. They will depend on the available space, where you put it and the size of the existing furniture. If you do not have special drawing skills, you can use special programs, where you will receive not only a detailed drawing, but also a specification of the necessary accessories.
- Based on the finished drawing, you can choose which materials and for which parts it is rational to use. You can make a cabinet from different materials, as an option, you can consider a structure from a metal frame with plasterboard lining. Traditionally, fiberboard, MDF or wood are used for the body, plywood for the shelves and the back wall. You will need mounting strips, shelf holders, mounting materials. If the cabinet is supposed to have doors, then the doors themselves, the brackets for their suspension, respectively. It is advisable to take into account that for the strength of the structure, one of the shelves is fixed rigidly, it is better to choose the material for it the same as for the bottom and lid. The height of other shelves may vary, their strength will depend on the purpose of the shelf.
- After the number and dimensions of cabinet parts have been determined, we calculate the need for material. You can buy it in specialized stores, where they can also make all the parts according to your size, saving you from painstaking work and additional garbage..
- Prepare all the necessary tools, the main of which are a screwdriver, a drill with a set of drills, a sharp knife, a hammer, a level, a tape measure, a square, a pencil.
- According to the calculations of the program or your own, collect all fasteners and accessories.
- It is more convenient to assemble on the floor, so you need to have enough free space. Assembly parts are better numbered for more convenient operation. After the main part of the frame is assembled, it is necessary to put the cabinet vertically and make sure that it is stable..
- For additional strength of fastening parts, in addition to screws and nails, you can also use glue.
- When the structure is completely assembled, you can proceed to the creative stage of the facade design. There are many options for painting, varnishing, pasting with film, using wood veneer, plastic. If the style of your kitchen allows, then you can use decorative details in the form of overlays or stucco moldings..
Here is the simplest version of a pencil case with several shelves. Additional details such as drawers or specialized shelves will require more skills, a careful approach to design, more tools. But if you wish, all this is possible.