Today in stores you can find a dining group and a kitchen corner with a table and chairs. Both those and other sets of furniture have advantages and disadvantages..
In most apartments built during the Soviet Union and Perestroika times, the dining area was moved to the kitchen, which gave it additional space, but also imposed restrictions on the furniture used in it..
Kitchen corners are a proposal that appeared on the market about ten years ago. They are suitable for most of our kitchens and often carry an additional “non-kitchen” functional load.
Basic packaging principle
The corner consists of a small sofa or bench, which is placed directly in the corner of the room. Included with such a corner are a couple, sometimes more, stools or chairs..
Kitchen corners have undeniable advantages over other furniture:
- they are comfortable, and the use of warm and natural materials will also make them cozy;
- it is a place for eating, which allows you to place all family members in the kitchen;
- the corner kit is often made collapsible, which allows you to configure it at your own discretion;
- tables are often made foldable, which saves space when the table is not used for its intended purpose.
The main mass – in the corner
The corners are designed in such a way that people sitting at the table would still sit in the corner. The side seats are usually occupied by either adult family members, or the hosts or hostesses who meet the guest and serve food on the table..
It is convenient to put small children in a corner – there is definitely more space than on a chair or stool, which in turn reduces the likelihood of falling – because children are constantly spinning.
Structurally, the corner seat can be made in the form of a sofa or a bench. Both variants occur with the same frequency..
Chairs, poufs or stools
Chairs, poufs and stools are used as additional seats in the corners. When people are not eating at the table, they are pushed under it, and when the furniture is in use, people are sitting on them. In order to save space, in small kitchens, stools are used instead of chairs – they do not have backs, which means moving around the kitchen while there are many people on it will definitely become easier.
Poufs provide additional functionality – they have a place to store anything.
We play from the table
The choice of a corner for the kitchen should start with determining the number of people sitting. So, a table with dimensions of 60 by 90 centimeters is perfect for six people. Three or four will sit on the sofa, and two or three on chairs or stools.
Availability of offers
Today there is a wide selection of kitchen corners, they are varied both in material, design and functionality, and in prices..
The main material for the manufacture of inexpensive sets is chipboard. It is not difficult to buy a kit that suits your conditions with the appropriate colors. In extreme cases, it can be ordered in furniture stores..
MDF in combination with wood veneer or polymer film is a very inexpensive and practical option that looks quite solid.
Solid wood sets – always look solid and expensive, but they should correctly complement the style of the kitchen itself, which should also be made of this material.
There are also products with the use of glass, artificial and natural stone, ceramics, plastic, metal. The material used imposes certain restrictions on both the use and maintenance of furniture, and the price for the purchase of such a set..
The style and design of the kits sold are also varied. There are many directions:
- high tech;
- pop Art;
- country and rustic;
- Art Deco;
The style laid down by the designer, as a rule, is based on certain conditions of use, which in turn imposes requirements on the table itself. Tables are square and round, rectangular and oval, based on a broken polygon. The most popular countertops are made of stone, glass and solid wood..
There are also top offers from branded furniture manufacturers – Verona, Poggenpohl, SieMatic and others..
The kitchen corner is the least whimsical in maintenance and care. It is enough to observe the following rules:
- wipe regularly with a damp cloth;
- immediately remove dirt on the fabric, use stain removers only for the type of fabric that is used in the upholstery;
- regularly wash metal and plastic parts using detergents;
- if the furniture is folding or sliding, maintain the transformation mechanism in working order, lubricate it regularly;
- wipe solid wood products regularly with polish, furniture wax or glycerin solution – this will protect it from drying out;
- products made of chipboard and MDF are afraid of moisture, you need to monitor the integrity of the shell or laminating coating and avoid dampness.
- mold and mildew may form in hard-to-reach and “blind” places, regularly check such places, if any signs of them are found, disinfect this place with special means.
Nice additions to simple things
A kitchen corner is a common thing, and different manufacturers and designers put in it various, non-obvious, functions:
- the transformer bench included in the kit can be disassembled into several stable chairs or transformed, for example, into a table, then two full-fledged styles, placed side by side in another room, will give a large festive table;
- for large sizes, you can put a guest who remains overnight on a sofa or bench;
- a pouf instead of stools and chairs makes it possible to store inside, for example, a tool;
- storage space is often organized under the sofa seat, and even long or curved items can be stored.
What to look for when buying:
- the table must be stable and moderately heavy;
- in the kit, stools are preferable, not chairs;
- the upholstery of a sofa or bench should be made using special furniture fabrics that are resistant to abrasion and dirt;
- if the upholstery contains elements of leather or leatherette, pay attention to the methods of caring for it, they should be described in the instructions;
- the bench or sofa should not slip on the floor, the heel pads of them and the table should be made of anti-slip materials.
Furniture sets such as a kitchenette with table and chairs have gained popularity due to their ease of use, the coziness created in the kitchen, as well as the simplicity and variety of choices and ease of care. To expand their functionality, they can be equipped with a sofa and poufs. Before buying this category of product, you need to think about where you will put it and how to use it. When your choice is realized and weighed, you will not be disappointed in the purchase and will be satisfied with every day of owning it..