It is difficult to imagine a functional kitchen without overhead wall cabinets: where to store dishes and other ugly and necessary accessories for daily cooking? However, practice shows that a single-level kitchen is absolutely functional and, in addition, has a number of positive features: it is lighter, more spacious, aesthetic and original. How to create a kitchen without bulky hinged structures and at the same time maintain its main quality – functionality?
Like any other kitchen, a kitchen without hanging cabinets has its own advantages and disadvantages, each of which is conditional. Let’s talk about the features of the modern kitchen format: why the townspeople choose it even for a small apartment and why those who strive for a laconic interior avoid it?
- To begin with, a kitchen without wall cabinets is unusual at first glance; the question is brewing: where to store the dishes and how to occupy the free upper space of the room? Taking a look at current trends, it can be noted that more and more people are choosing a kitchen of this format – without bulky structures at the top – it is convenient, practical and functional.
- The appearance of more space: visually, the kitchen becomes larger and brighter due to the lack of hanging modules.
- The work surface is better illuminated due to the fact that it does not fall on the shadow from the upper drawers.
- Less kitchen furniture – less cleaning time. It is known that wall cabinets collect dust and all those fumes that are formed in the kitchen during cooking (even a hood does not always “save” from such a scourge). Lack of top filling of the headset – the ability to facilitate cleaning: you do not have to wipe the surface of the kitchen cabinet that cannot be washed.
- At the same time, hinged structures are often replaced by open shelves, and dust accumulates on them even more intensively; the most important thing is that open shelves will have to get rid of dust much more often – once a week for sure.
- One of the advantages of the absence of wall cabinets is the more budgetary cost of the kitchen set..
- Safety is a reason to purchase a kitchen set without upper cabinets: the likelihood of their falling due to weak walls or poorly fixed structures decreases (cases of falling cabinets, although rare, do happen in life).
Among the disadvantages of a kitchen without hinged structures in the form of a cabinet may be:
- Inability to use in small apartments; for those who took a chance and assembled the kitchen of their dreams of a single-level format, its lack of functionality may be taken by surprise.
- Hanging cabinets sometimes hide the defects of the room itself: curvature of walls, flaws in decorative finishes and other nuances.
When choosing a kitchen set without “unnecessary” hanging structures, appreciate the room: is it spacious enough for this format? Will you lose the functionality of the kitchen in exchange for its modern and fashionable design??
Do not skimp on a single-level headset and its filling: let its shelves be as convenient and practical as possible, spacious and used so as not to load the upper open shelves of the room.
If you want to have a single-level kitchen set, you need to know that such a layout is suitable for spacious rooms, then you will be able to keep the maximum return on the kitchen and get the desired result. What if the kitchen is small? A set without upper cabinets will harmoniously look in a too narrow kitchen or, on the contrary, wide; in both cases, a single-level design will visually expand or increase the space, in a word, present it in a favorable light.
Tableware storage options
The first thing that future owners of a kitchen without hanging cabinets face is the question: where to store the dishes? The main “storage” of kitchen attributes will be the lower drawers and cabinets, so you should take care of their maximum spaciousness and functionality.: the internal arrangement of the shelves should correspond to the amount of your dishes, and with a large set of kitchen accessories, make sure that there are more shelves (even if they will be lower in height).
The design of a kitchen without upper wall cabinets implies the presence of open shelves (instead of bulky cabinets) and roof rails – simple structures in the form of a pipe that runs parallel to the kitchen countertop. Surely there is a railing in every kitchen: look at what kitchen accessories like spice jars and towels, large cookware and cooking items hang on..
Railing in a spacious kitchen without hanging cabinets will become a real salvation for housewives, because on the cornice with hooks-holders, you can place small hanging shelves for storing improvised kitchen cleaning tools or spices, products (oils, for example) and other important items. It’s amazing how functional the railing is and how original its design and color can be: black, white, metallic, matte or glossy..
- Buffet – an excellent alternative to wall cabinets in the kitchen. The sideboards differ in their functionality and design: the classic sideboard is a tall and massive cabinet with wooden or glass shelves and doors, thanks to which you can appreciate its content. Traditionally, it is in the buffet that dishes are stored, and modern models of such furniture for the kitchen allow you to install a dishwasher, microwave and other equipment inside the structure, which sometimes you want to hide from prying eyes.
- Curbstone on wheels will become a “lifesaver” for the kitchen of a small square, when there is not enough space for important little things. A traditional cabinet is suitable for placement in a more spacious kitchen, and on its top you can install equipment like a TV: combine business with pleasure.
- Column cabinets – massive products for a spacious kitchen; in a small room, these giants will look out of place, although when choosing a more elegant and slender model – why not? Column cabinets are convenient because they are tall and roomy; are usually installed in the far corner and combined with a convenient door – it is also functional and endowed with small shelves.
- Pencil cases resemble a column cabinet, but are traditionally used to decorate a refrigerator or oven, dishwasher or washing machine. Pencil cases are installed in different parts of the kitchen, depending on its layout and size, but more often in the corner space of the room..
Kitchen set layout
Depending on the layout of the kitchen, it is determined whether it is filled with single-level cabinets, those that are located on the floor.
- Linear type implies horizontal arrangement of kitchen furniture along one wall; work surface, sink, hob – everything is on the same level, or on the same line – practical and convenient. To make the rest of the space functional, place open shelves parallel to the worktop, avoiding the hob area (there will probably be a hood installed there).
Give important attention to the decor of the kitchen: install additional lighting above the cooking area, let the kitchen apron become original, post a few family photos and a couple of pots of flowers.
Linear placement of a kitchen unit is a good choice for a small room up to 9 sq. m, where it is important to leave additional space for the dining area.
- Corner kitchen set placed with the letter “G” and resembles a linear type; however, this design is even more functional than the previous one: in the corner of the kitchen, you can install a pencil case or a sideboard, it is important that massive furniture does not interfere when moving around the kitchen. A corner model of a kitchen set without wall cabinets requires additional decorations to fill the resulting space: posters and paintings on the walls, photographs, flowers, decorative elements such as candles and figurines are used, while it is important not to overdo it and not turn a functional kitchen into a gallery of modern art.
- Island type kitchen is suitable exclusively for a spacious room with an area of 20 sq. m because it involves placing a functional island in the middle of the room. It is important to note that access to the “island” in the kitchen should be provided from 4 sides, then the kitchen can be called island and enjoy its aesthetics and functionality.
Examples of modern interiors
It is easy to create a modern kitchen interior without hanging cabinets in a room of any format – from absolutely modest to spacious spaces, it is important to take into account the concept of the room and maintain its style or design in every piece of furniture and decor.
For studio apartments or kitchens of a large square, the island format of the kitchen will be a good solution: a spacious island can become not only a working area for the hostess, but also a place for gathering guests or a daily meal. Combining a kitchen and living room in a similar format is a frequent and quite practical phenomenon; the kitchen in the narrow sense of the word is placed in one part of the room, and the living room in the opposite.
The island type of kitchen allows you to use a spacious room wisely, it remains to decorate it with stylish furniture – focus on natural wood in a natural shade and combine with metal details: table legs, chairs and other fittings.
An interesting solution will be a minimalist kitchen: choose a white glossy kitchen set as furniture, place the emphasis on one of the walls: let it be lined with gray brickwork. Additionally, add bright colors in the form of bright details of upholstered furniture or appliances, decor and other accessories.
Another modern kitchen design without hanging cabinets – loft format – bold, authentic. The loft-style kitchen does not have unnecessary details like the upper tiers of the headset; the space often remains empty, which acts as the accent of the room. By the way, this format is suitable exclusively for spacious apartments..
A more budgetary version of the kitchen without wall cabinets will be a room with laconic and simple MDF furniture and a wall shelf of the same shade; let the latter be massive and give the room an originality. A large shelf on wheels will serve as an island for a spacious kitchen: you can install a sink or a hob in it: then the wheels will serve only as an interesting design solution, and not as a functional part.