Modern planning ideas 2021: examples
In a modern metropolis, residents are accustomed to the comfortable and functional space of apartments. Home planning has become a daunting task for architects who have had to consider many factors such as budget, ergonomics, modern fast living. Modern layouts are increasingly combining zones. This happens not only in studios, but also in apartments with several rooms. For example, combining a living room and an entrance hall or a living room and a sleeping area, most often there is a layout where the kitchen and living area are combined.
Planning a kitchen-living room 19-20 sq. meters allows you to functionally correctly and ergonomically place two zones, plus creates the impression of greater freedom of space. This layout is often found in a ready-made version, but it can be carried out independently, in agreement with the relevant authorities..
One of the options for the layout of the kitchen-living room is parallel. This solution fits perfectly into a rectangular room and at the same time leaves free space in the middle of the room. On one side is the kitchen workspace, and on the parallel is the seating area. Often such layouts are supplemented with an “island” – an element of space zoning, it can be a bar counter, a soft sofa, a fireplace, or the same work surface with a sink. Such layouts are called island layouts..
The U-shaped layout is similar to the parallel one, but it can be applied both to the kitchen layout and to the arrangement of the kitchen-living room. For example, by placing a work surface and a seating area on parallel sides, in an additional section you can place a dining area in the form of a table or a bar with chairs. In another case, one of the parallel surfaces does not adhere to the wall, but is a screen-partition for the combined living room area.
The modern apartment plan sometimes involves non-standard or asymmetrical layouts. Furniture and work surfaces in such rooms are often located around the perimeter, which resembles a U-shaped layout..
Another example is the L-shaped layout, which is perfect for square-shaped rooms. The one-piece cooking surface can be complemented with a dining table or bar counter. In this version, it is better to place the living area parallel to the working surface..
The lion’s share of efforts should be devoted to zoning the kitchen-living room. Here are some examples of comfortable integration:
- Installation of a partition made of various materials. Most often, this option involves a plasterboard structure that separates the zones from the floor to the middle of the wall height or from the floor to the ceiling. The second option can be used as a basis for attaching paintings, shelves, TV or commemorative framed photographs. You can experiment and give the design an unusual shape or make it through.
- Sliding partitions. This design option is more mobile and, if necessary, will allow you to separate the kitchen and living room. So that such a structure does not look “heavy”, you can use stained glass or simple matte glass, a well-chosen color and pattern can become a real decoration of the interior.
- Bar counter. A modern and trendy piece of furniture will fit well into the interior. A wide enough counter surface can be a substitute for a dining table.
- Island layout. The kitchen work surface will help to visually divide the space. The hob and sink, strictly matched to the interior, will organically fit into the space. But with such a layout, the kitchen should be impeccably clean. This arrangement is suitable only for rooms with a size of 20 sq. meters, otherwise it will not create much convenience.
- Contrasting trim. A commonly used technique will allow you to experiment with color palettes, textures and materials. This technique will allow you to avoid large structures, it is enough to highlight the central zone with a bright color of wallpaper or paint applied to textured plaster, wall murals will be a good solution. Complement the rest of the interior with accessories that match the color or texture, or kitchen utensils. Don’t forget about the judicious use of contrasts.
- Light. By placing ceiling or wall lights on the border of functional areas, you can easily divide the space. Experiment with the placement of light in the zones themselves, highlight each according to the features of ergonomics.
- Furniture. A cozy large sofa, turned back to the kitchen, will rationally separate it from the living room. A wooden rack, complemented by decorative items in the form of vases, boxes, frames with photos will also look good..
Good design is meant to make a person’s life better and more enjoyable. This design takes into account many subtleties to save time, maintain a good mood and increase functionality. To correctly combine the living room and kitchen space, you should know about some of the nuances.
For a kitchen-living room with an area of approximately 20 sq. meters, you should not use many dark colors: black, dark shades of brown, purple, blue. This visually reduces the space. Shades of blue, beige, yellow, warm green, on the contrary, will make the room more spacious. Warm shades will make the room cozier and brighter..
The selection of equipment in this case is very important. It is definitely worth installing an extractor hood, so the smells from the kitchen will penetrate less into the living room. You should not choose very noisy hoods, it is not always convenient when receiving guests and at late hours, when you want to relax. This also applies to the rest of the technique. An excellent stylistic solution would be a technique made in the same or similar style, material, because in the kitchen-living room, many electrical appliances will be in plain sight.
The furniture also absorbs the smell of cooking. Easily washable fabrics are a good solution and allow for better cleaning. Curtains, tablecloths and all other textile elements must be matched in density, color and quality. This does not mean that it is worth stopping the choice only on one color, use compatible combinations of shades.
Designers pay great attention to lighting in the project. In the case of combining a living room and a kitchen, one light source may not be enough. Functional spot lamps are well suited for work surfaces, floor lamps and sconces will create a cozy atmosphere in the living room area, and it is better to illuminate the dining area with a bright chandelier..
For the most convenient design of the kitchen area, there is a working triangle rule. This means that the area is divided into three main areas: stove-cooking, refrigerator-storing food, and sink-washing dishes. The fewer obstacles and transitions from one point to another, the more functional the room.
For rectangular kitchen
Peninsular, island and U-shaped layouts are perfect for rectangular rooms with an area of 19-20 square meters. One of the parallel sides in the example of a U-shaped layout can be made in the form of a bar counter or a work surface, which will serve as a transition to the living area.
The island layout will give you more freedom to move and experiment. In this case, the combined layout allows you to build a “working triangle” and continue to communicate with guests and family while cooking. When choosing a hob and a sink as an island, it will be difficult to transfer the water supply and conduct a gas hose.
A corner layout would also be a good option. This arrangement leaves enough space for the dining and living area. In the corner of the work surface, the sink fits perfectly together with a spacious cabinet.
If the rectangular room is too narrow for visual expansion, you can use:
- Elements of mirrors. Mirrors continue the space of the opposite interior. Opposite mirrors and large floor-to-ceiling mirrors have a special effect..
- 3D wallpaper. High-quality 3D wallpaper samples will create the illusion of being in the picture, which expands the space in an interesting way..
- Glossy furniture fronts. Lacquered or glazed facades function as mirrors.
- Light colors. Light colors, unlike dark ones, have the ability to emit light, thanks to this optical illusion, the eye recognizes objects such as larger.
An excellent zoning solution would be sliding partitions; this option is suitable for families with children. Adults can socialize in the kitchen while the kids watch TV or play in the living room. With a peninsular layout, a bar counter with chairs will fit well.
For a square-shaped room
For square-shaped rooms, an angular layout and a U-shaped one are suitable. This arrangement leaves free space in the middle of the room, which can fit a fluffy rug or a round dining table. It is worth considering that the U-shaped layout of the rooms does not imply the presence of a balcony. Indoors with an area of 20 sq. meters or more, you can experiment with the island layout.
In a square room, if you choose an island layout, it is better to make the island square or round, in which case the location becomes much more functional. The island is always located at a distance of 100 cm from any other furniture, with an area of 20 sq. m is quite enough.
So that the space in such an interior does not seem “clogged”, you can choose furniture and a set of light shades or replace wall cabinets with shelves.
What to do is not recommended
In order for the repair to be successful, you should carefully consider the rules of competent design and avoid common mistakes..
Combined rooms are not always provided for by buildings, and in case of redevelopment, it is worth coordinating repair actions with a special service. Demolition of a load-bearing wall is very dangerous and can lead to serious damage to your home..
Do not give up the zoning of the room. Visual separation will make the space more interesting and functional. Stationary or mobile partitions can become a real highlight of the interior..
Particular attention should be paid to the hygiene of the room. The kitchen is the most frequently cleaned area. When combining the living room and kitchen areas, it is worth remembering that cleaning only one of them is impossible. You should not choose an overly capricious, light and absorbent material for upholstered furniture. A powerful hood will prevent odors from spreading, and the smooth surface of the kitchen work area is easy to clean.
It is a mistake to use the same flooring. Tiles are more suitable for the kitchen, and laminate or parquet for the dining or living areas..
It is not recommended to use only one light source. Insufficient lighting affects vision and can cause drowsiness. A warm and cozy atmosphere in the living room will be created by floor lamps with soft light, overhead lighting will be more convenient in the dining area, and special attention should be paid to the working area, built-in lamps with bright light are good here..
To make the combined zones look harmonious, you should not use different styles when designing them. This rule also applies to the color scheme: color combinations should be harmonious, suitable for artificial and natural lighting. An exception can only be white, any colors can be combined with it.