The kitchen in any home has always been a special place, which differs not only in its specificity, but also in its atmosphere. The special aura of a room – its coziness and charm – can often be recreated using various plants. But it is important to understand that it is for this part of the dwelling that those representatives of the flora are suitable, which will not only complement the interior, but also will be able to perfectly survive all temperature and humidity changes..
Criterias of choice
So, not every specimen will be able to survive in the extreme climate of the kitchen, therefore, when choosing landscaping in this part of the house, the first thing to do is to pay attention to the nuances of caring for the plant and the degree of its whimsy.
There are several main criteria when choosing landscaping for the kitchen:
- it is best to choose flowers with leaves that will be easier to clean from settled dust or grease, because in the kitchen the flowers get dirty much faster;
- it is most convenient to use compact plants, since they take up less space – there is not so much of it in the kitchen and large flowerpots are more likely to interfere;
- shade-loving and unpretentious indoor plants will perfectly complement the interior – they do not require special care and will perfectly tolerate temperature and humidity changes, when for capricious representatives of the flora this will become a real test.
It should be noted that there are a large number of indoor flowers that take root well in the kitchen thanks to carbon dioxide – it is necessary for their life..
Where to place
To place flower pots according to Feng Shui, you need to take into account some of the features of the room – its size, illumination, as well as the location of the sink and stove.
It is important not to overdo it with the colors in the room. If the kitchen is small, then let the flowers be small, and there should not be too many of them..
It is impossible to place the plant next to the sink, since even the most unpretentious, with constant moisture and the ingress of soapy splashes, can die or get sick. The same goes for the arrangement of flowers next to the slab. Grease splashes, high temperatures – all these can ruin your plant..
Flowers that are located on the upper shelves or the refrigerator will require frequent spraying and watering, as dry air will rise up.
If you choose between flowering and ornamental-deciduous plants, then it should be noted that the former will require more careful care, for example, in the part of the world. Deciduous ones are perfect for not very bright rooms..
A window sill will always be an excellent place for flowers in the kitchen, no matter how corny it is. Nevertheless, if the plant does not tolerate drafts well, then you can come up with a special pots or shelf for it – here the air temperature and humidity will be more optimal. Of course, if the kitchen is large or combined with a dining room or living room, then you can use a couple of floor plants. Putting a small flower in an original planter on the dining table, you can add coziness and harmony, and it looks beautiful.
In a changeable climate, kitchens will feel great for unpretentious plants that can easily tolerate dry and humid air, cold, heat, draft, excess or lack of watering. The most popular ones today have the following names:
- Chlorophytum – this flower, among other things, perfectly moisturizes the air, and also cleans it of harmful substances that appear during the operation of gas stoves.
- Kalanchoe does not require special care and attention to itself, but at the same time it has a very beautiful flowering.
- Decorative pepper – shade-tolerant plant with bright fruits will be an excellent accent in the kitchen interior.
- Sansevieria (or “mother-in-law’s tongue”) is a fast-growing, unpretentious decorative leafy plant that can be easily cleaned of dust.
- Geranium has a wide variety in the choice of colors and aromas; it disinfects and purifies the air using substances released into the atmosphere..
- The fat woman is unpretentious, but with insufficient lighting it can shed leaves.
- Orchid is perhaps the most trending plant. It has many varieties, suitable for both amateurs and professional florists. The variety of varieties, colors, smells, shapes is amazing.
- Zamioculcas is another incredibly fashionable flower today, which is popularly nicknamed “Eurotree”.
Kitchen garden on the windowsill
One of the trendiest trends is the cultivation of edible plants in the kitchen, because they are always useful in cooking and can be grown all year round.. In addition, such plants will always smell good, filling the room with the aroma of herbs..
Each housewife can choose her favorite herbs for her mini-garden: basil, thyme, parsley, rosemary, lemon balm, dill. Mint is perfect for growing at home – this spice grows in any conditions, but requires careful watering.
Aromatic herb pots can be placed both on special shelves by the window and on the windowsill itself. The main thing here is the presence of light.
Flowering plants or simple deciduous plants are not only beautiful, but also useful – they purify and refresh the air, bring comfort, mood, make the room habitable, and the design is complete. But it is worth remembering that the kitchen is not the best place for plants, therefore, when choosing landscaping, you need to focus not only on a beautiful appearance. After all, not every beautifully blooming specimen will be adapted for life in a kitchen..