The kitchen is that part of the home in which a person spends a lot of time. This leads to the fact that all surfaces in this room are exposed to significant loads and wear out quickly, which leads to the need for repairs. Most often it is necessary to restore the finish of the floor and walls. These elements lend themselves to various types of loads, therefore, when performing repair work, it is very important to take these features into account..
Align the walls
The process of repairing wall surfaces in the kitchen often involves leveling them. This is done in order to optimize the future installation of various finishing materials, as well as to create a pleasant interior in the room..
You can level the walls in several simple ways:
- Sanding involves the leveling of previously plastered surfaces. To do this, simply remove a small layer of plaster with sandpaper to achieve the desired effect..
- In the presence of significant differences, it is advisable to plaster all the walls, which allows them to be leveled. Common mortars based on cement and sand are used here, but others can also be found. After performing such operations, it is advisable to additionally prime the surfaces in order to strengthen their structure..
- Alignment with drywall sheets. This technology allows you to significantly simplify the entire process and get a flat plane. Fastening of this material can be carried out both on special profiles, and directly to the wall using dowels.
When carrying out such operations in a panel house, many experts recommend that you also take care of wall insulation (internal or external). This will not only reduce heat loss, but also will not allow temperature changes to significantly affect the finishing layer of the material..
Floor renovation involves performing preparatory operations to provide a solid foundation that can withstand significant loads. The technology for leveling and preparing such systems depends on the chosen finish:
- Tile. Such materials are laid on the most flat surfaces. In theory, ceramic tiles can be laid on wood or plywood, but experts recommend using concrete surfaces for such purposes. It is quite simple to level them with your own hands using self-leveling mixtures..
- Laminate or parquet. These materials are also mounted on flat surfaces, but plywood sheets are already used as a substrate. It is also advisable to install them on a cement or wooden relatively flat base..
Please note that such preparatory work in some cases is carried out with the removal of the existing coating. Very often this can be found in "Khrushchev", where the floor and walls are often very uneven and have large deviations from ideal parameters.
Materials for wall decoration in the apartment
A special feature of the kitchen is that here all surfaces are exposed to various substances from ordinary steam to splashes of hot oil, etc. Therefore, when choosing materials for wall decoration, they are guided by the principle of ensuring not only a unique design, but also practicality.. Today, experts recommend several types of materials to cover the walls of the kitchen:
- Wallpaper. Usually, in such rooms, preference is given to washable or dyed materials. This allows them to maintain their presentable appearance for a long time. Sometimes you can use other types of similar materials that combine and create a design division of the kitchen into several functional zones..
- Dye. These materials, although quite practical, are rarely used in wall design..
- Decorative plaster is one of the newest products that allows you to create unique textures on surfaces. Moreover, such substances can be dyed or varnished, which will protect them for a certain period. Decorative plasters are used by many designers to create beautiful and original interiors..
- Ceramic tile. This material is not the main material for wall decoration, although it is theoretically possible to do this. Often, it protects the workspace near the stove or washbasin, and everything else is covered with wallpaper or plaster..
- Wood or plastic panels are practical products that fit perfectly into any decor. They are distinguished by high practicality and beautiful appearance. It should be noted that the tree needs additional protection, which is varnish..
We select the type of floor covering
This surface constantly lends itself to significant loads, so it must calmly withstand them. Experts recommend using several basic materials to solve such problems:
- Linoleum. This product is available in several formats and colors. It can be used to create practical and beautiful floors. Please note that the installation of such a coating is relatively simple and does not require the use of auxiliary fasteners or adhesives. Also, linoleum has very good indicators of sound and heat insulation, and its service life can exceed 10 years. Perfect for both large rooms and kitchens with an area of 9 sq. m.
- Laminate. Such substances are small panels made from several layers of different woods. Moreover, the surface of the laminate can imitate not only wood, but also stone, marble, etc. Suitable for almost any design. When choosing such a coating, it is advisable to give preference only to varieties that are resistant to water and with quality indicators of resistance to loads. Installation is relatively simple, but requires adherence to a certain sequence and a very even floor, as this can cause squeaks.
- Ceramic tiles are one of the most sought-after products that are used in kitchens when organizing floors. This material also has a significant number of colors, shapes and sizes. This makes it possible to create very beautiful and original designs. Ceramic tiles are highly durable and abrasion resistant, which makes it possible to use them for more than 10 years without the need for renewal. The fixing of the tiles is carried out on special mortars, which makes it possible, even in the absence of skills, to do it relatively well.
Sequence of operations
Carrying out repair work in the kitchen involves not only leveling and finishing, but also a complete redevelopment. These operations are performed in a specific order:
- Initially, a plan is created for the placement of all furniture, electrical appliances, etc. This will make it possible to correctly place all the sockets. When it is simply planned to update the wall covering, there is no need to carry out these procedures.
- The next step is leveling and finishing the walls. Please note that if you have completely removed the old coating, then it is advisable to replace the electrical wiring with a new one. This is done taking into account the power of all the devices you use..
- The final stage is the finishing of the floor. This process involves leveling, strengthening and covering with decorative materials. All such operations are carried out using special technologies that depend on the type of coverage you choose and the basic requirements for it..
All of these jobs are quite complex and require significant skills. They are often performed by several specialists working with specific materials. You should not start decorating the walls and floors yourself, if you have not thoroughly studied modern technologies..
We select a plinth
This attribute of the interior plays an important role in its design. Today, such structures are made either from wood or from plastic. The latter types are more practical, since they do not require a protective layer of varnish, which cannot be said about wood..
But when choosing skirting boards, first of all, you need to be guided by the design of the kitchen and the finishing materials used. They must be selected in accordance with the color scheme of the floor, which will make it possible to create a harmonious transition from a horizontal to a vertical surface..