Various types of kitchen hoods allow you to experiment with the interior and create the perfect place for cooking. Hoods have won the hearts of housewives due to their ability to remove odors during cooking. With their appearance, there was no need to open windows and ventilate the room. They work efficiently, and new design designs fit perfectly into the modern kitchen interior.
A wide variety of types of kitchen hoods that are present on the market helps the buyer to find the best, profitable option..
- Flat. Such models are installed above the gas stove and mounted on the wall. This is a separate design that does not have an outlet to the ventilation pipe. The hood consists of a casing, a medium power fan and an air purification filter. The advantages of flat hoods are that they are inexpensive, neat and attractive, and easy to install. Disadvantages: low suction power, high noise level, filters need to be changed frequently, and they can be expensive.
- Embedded. High-quality types of hoods that are built into a special cabinet. It hides the entire structure, including the branch pipe. Interesting design, reliability, high quality – attractive characteristics. In addition, the cooker hood copes with its tasks perfectly. Thanks to its excellent performance and power, it works as efficiently as possible and makes almost no noise. The downside is that the model is not cheap and should be looked after more often..
- Fireplace or dome. High-quality and modern look for kitchen hoods. This model fits perfectly into any interior, complements it, creates coziness and does not hide free space. A domed hood is made of metal, which can combine wood and glass elements. The model range of domed hoods is wide, and includes island, wall-mounted. They differ from each other in the way they are installed. The plus is that the chimney hoods are powerful, can be controlled remotely, there is no need to change filters.
- Corner. Manufacturers try to please their customers and produce hoods in different shapes, sizes, installation methods and installation locations. Corner hoods fit perfectly into the corner kitchen and save space.
- Combined. Hoods for gas stoves, combining two methods of air purification – diverting the air flow into the ventilation system and eliminating impurities using a charcoal filter. Its replacement takes place every six months. You can recognize that the filter needs to be replaced by the noise that the hood makes during operation. When installing an exhaust system, pay particular attention to the air outlet. The fewer bends in it, the better the device will work..
Despite the technical functionality of the cooker hood, it should be easy to operate. Today hoods have several control methods:
- Slider. The model has a slider switch with which you can change the exhaust modes.
- Push-button. The easiest way to control the hood. The button block is located on the front or side panel. Modes are switched by pressing buttons.
- Electronic. Convenient and modern control. Models of this type are equipped with a special display or indicator lights.
Principle of operation
Everyone knows what function the cooker hood performs in the kitchen, but not everyone can say how it functions. The work of kitchen hoods consists of two principles: conventional and recuperative. The first cleans the air by drawing in the vapors of the food being cooked. The vapors pass through the filters and are discharged into the ventilation pipe. Hoods, which work on the principle of recuperation, let vapors pass through the filtration system and return air purified from unpleasant aromatic impurities.
These models of hoods are the most expensive and also require maintenance. If you want to get rid of unpleasant odors in the kitchen, pay attention to hoods with charcoal filters. They need to be changed frequently as they wear out quickly. The efficiency of the models is in direct proportion to the quality of the filters..
How to choose
The choice of hoods for the kitchen should be approached carefully if you want to purchase a model that is profitable in all respects. Before buying a device, ask the seller about the advantages and technical characteristics of the hoods. All varieties can operate at high temperatures and are highly resistant to hot vapors, moisture and condensation. Hoods are classified according to the principle of operation, performance, design features and price.
The cost of the device may be affected by the availability of additional features. When choosing a hood, be guided by the type of device, its pros and cons. The hood must match the dimensions of the kitchen and the general style of the room..
The first thing buyers pay attention to is design. Experts advise to be guided not by the appearance, but by the power of the device..
- Performance and power. This criterion indicates the amount of air that the hood processes in one hour. The higher the power rating, the better it will perform. But the power rating is not yet a factor in the right purchase. Calculate the required power of the hood for the kitchen using the formula: multiply the volume of the room by 10. The resulting figure will be minimal, so the hood should be taken a little more powerful.
- Noise level. The noise level of the hood is influenced by its performance. If this figure is high, the device is noisy. Expensive and high-quality models can be quiet but powerful, so if you choose a cheap range hood, you will have to put up with the hum in the kitchen. Silent models are equipped with special spacers that prevent vibration and block noise. If possible, check the function of the hood in the store. This will help to avoid unsuccessful purchases, focusing only on appearance..
- Filters. These elements are responsible for the quality of the hoods and affect the life of the hood. Filters trap unpleasant odors, dust, grease, fumes and other heavy airborne components. If the filter is dirty, such a hood will not work for a long time. Filter performance, noise level and durability depend on the filter. They are of two types: fine and coarse cleaning. The former consist of a thin, carbon filter that absorbs odors. These filters are replaceable and it is very important to monitor their condition. The second ones are of very high quality. They are made of metal, acrylic and non-woven fabric. Coarse filters purify the air and protect the hood from contamination. They must be promptly replaced with new ones or washed in water. It all depends on the filter material..
- Dimensions (edit). Whatever the parameters of the hood were, today there are no models that work absolutely silently. The dimensions of the hood depend on the dimensions of the room and the length of the hob. Dome hoods are suitable for large gas stoves, for 40 cm – small built-in devices. Remember that the cooker hood should not be smaller than the gas stove.!
- Design. The most important selection criterion for housewives is appearance. Despite the technical characteristics, the hood design plays an important role. It should match the color and style of the kitchen, not bulky or too small. At the peak of popularity, matte, glass, metal surfaces with a mirror effect.
Depending on the price and model of the hood, the device can be additionally equipped with interesting functions.. Hoods with illumination look beautiful, models with a remote control, a thermometer, a humidity meter, side grills, shelves and other elements are easy to use. Additional functions do not affect the functionality of the cooker hood.
It is quite possible to install the hood yourself. This is an easy process that does not take much time and effort..
- Mount the unit to the wall using the included mounting material. The hood must be above the hob.
- The distance between the stove and the hood should be comfortable so that the hostess can freely cook food. Mount the hood not too high, but not too low.
- If the hood is built-in, follow the manufacturer’s instructions..
- Dome hoods should be connected to ventilation. Use the parts that come with the device. Observe the tightness. When connecting the hood and ventilation, there should be no cracks or gaps. If this happens, use polyurethane foam or other sealants.
- After installing the hood, connect it to the electrical network. Try the device in action.
If you want to choose a high-quality hood of domestic or foreign production, pay attention to the reviews of real buyers. According to them, regardless of the brand and type, the cooker hood is really an irreplaceable thing in the kitchen. She copes with her tasks 100%, may make a little noise or work quietly. The cooker hood saves from oily deposits on furniture, eliminates odors during cooking, easy to use, affordable.
Many buyers note that the hoods of Russian manufacturers are in no way inferior in quality and appearance to foreign counterparts, but they are cheaper, and there are differences between them. Beautiful, ultra-modern design fits perfectly into the kitchen environment, attracts attention, creates an atmosphere of coziness.