In an ideal kitchen, everything should be perfect: the chef and his mood, the products and utensils used, the prepared dishes and the awakened appetite, and most importantly, the environment that inspires the creation of culinary masterpieces.
The ideal solution for the kitchen is beautiful and functional wall cabinets in all their color variety and almost endless stylistic implementation. Compact and roomy, open and mirrored, classic and extravagant – hanging kitchen cabinets are now always where it is convenient to store, take out and use household supplies and a cookbook. And where it is always warm, cozy, comfortable and fragrant it smells like hot buns with vanilla and cinnamon…
Features and Benefits
Hanging cabinets have been decorating kitchens of different nations for more than one millennium and literally all over the world. And every year they are performing their direct duties better, for which they were once created:
- provide plenty of space and easy access to store supplies and kitchen utensils,
- protect food and dishes from sunlight, dust, humidity and temperature extremes,
- free up space on the work surface for cooking,
- are located at a convenient height and do not interfere with the work in the kitchen,
- successfully conceal the design of air conditioning and lighting systems,
- harmoniously coexist with built-in kitchen appliances,
- their configuration and front facades set the style and mood of the room.
Modern hanging cabinets in kitchens are not only an element of functional equipment, but also the main focus of the entire interior solution of the kitchen area, and the best embodiment of the principles of ergonomics. In combination with base cabinets, they are an important component of a harmonious kitchen space, helping to rationally use every centimeter of it and at the same time clearly reflecting the style, tastes and even the level of wealth of the owners of the house..
In fact, all wall-mounted kitchen cabinets are the same – they are drawers, one way or another, attached to the wall. Back wall – fiberboard, side panels – chipboard, facade – wood or plastic, doors and shelves – available or not.
However, such a simplified approach does not convey all the interior possibilities, the variety of use and the importance of wall cabinets for the kitchen area.. Square and corner, dish and hood, as part of a headset and separate, horizontal and built-in, two-door display cases and with open shelves, familiar wooden or rare metal – hanging cabinets differ in shape, dimensions, doors and specialized filling. And, most importantly, they allow you to choose interesting color solutions and the best option for implementing specific tasks individually for each kitchen..
- For dryer and hood
Today it is difficult to imagine a kitchen without a wall cabinet for storing freshly washed dishes. Firstly, it is practical: clean plates, glasses and cutlery do not gather dust on the table, but dry in an even system in a drying compartment specially arranged for them. And secondly, such a two-door cabinet with a drying cabinet can be equipped with lighting and glass doors, which will immediately turn it into an unusual display rack for your favorite dishes..
However, the dish drainer can be displayed in a more favorable light – by originally embedding it into the space of a wall-mounted kitchen cabinet and fixing it next to the sink for greater convenience. But in this design, it is no longer necessary to close the drying compartment – it will be faster and easier to distribute wet dishes to its sections if there are no doors at the cabinet.
However, most housewives still prefer to hide dish dryers behind impervious doors.. So the heterogeneity of kitchen utensils inherent in daily use will not be conspicuous and will not spoil the harmonious space of the rest of the kitchen area with its completely natural chaos..
- In a wall-mounted kitchen cabinet with blind doors a multi-tiered drying structure is easily built in, in which several sets of kitchen equipment are placed at once. And if you remove the bottom of such a cabinet, hanging directly above the sink, then the water from the washed dishes will drain directly into the sink. And this means that you no longer need to additionally equip it with ventilation holes and a pallet that protects kitchen furniture from unwanted moisture. But a useful addition to such a hanging cabinet will be a small compartment where detergents, sponges and microfiber napkins will be placed..
In modern interior solutions for cooking zones, wall cabinets are often installed immediately together with the hood. Their configuration provides for the use of closed, open or combined facades. The most popular models are with convenient hinged or hinged doors. These hoods weighed down by the hood should be attached to the wall as securely as those equipped with a dish drainer..
- Open wall cupboards resemble accessory racks or book shelves. Jars and boxes with spices, flower tea, coffee beans and candied fruits are conveniently located and look good in them. Headsets for the kitchen with open shelves instead of wall cabinets are no less interesting interior solution..
- Corner hanging cabinets allow you to maximize the use and rational use of even the most inaccessible parts of the kitchen area. They come in a straight, L-shaped or trapezoidal configuration, have beveled corners and are usually part of a kitchen set. However, such a cabinet on the kitchen wall can also act as a separate independent element of organizing space, adding coziness and functionality to the room and at the same time conveniently occupying a modest place in the corner.
A distinctive feature of wall-mounted corner cabinets for the kitchen is their unusual and very spacious “filling” in the form of deep triangular shelves, roll-out systems or shelving that rotates around its axis, which provides free access to food supplies and kitchen utensils stored there.
- Horizontal hanging cabinet on the kitchen wall adds dynamics to the interior and visually expands the space. Additional niches located at the top or bottom of its folding or single-door facade significantly increase the functionality and usability of this unconventional wall box.
- Vertical wall cabinets in the kitchen, as expected, they create the effect of a high ceiling and help to build an interesting overall solution for storage systems. Narrow vertical hanging cabinets are especially appreciated by owners of a small-sized or multi-window kitchen area..
End wall cabinets with attractive shelves on the facades functionally form the boundaries of the kitchen furniture set and give the whole interior a certain completeness.
- Hanging cabinets up to the ceiling are now very popular with experienced designers and fans of minimalism. It is worth paying tribute to the interesting interior design and attractive harmony of such structures. A kitchen with tall wall-to-ceiling cabinets is the best choice for those who need a lot of storage space for everything they may need during the cooking process. However, how exactly you have to get what you need from the upper shelves, it is still better to think over in advance and immediately provide for this with a special mobile compact ladder.
By the way, in an ideal kitchen, not only the upper cabinets, but also the lower ones can be in limbo. Floor cabinets, attached to the wall at some distance from the floor, and also illuminated from below by LED strip, create the effect of a kitchen set floating in the air. And here again it turns out to be very important to securely fasten the lower hanging cabinets on a sturdy frame with the help of high-quality awnings and anchor bolts. Indeed, even the most massive dishes and kitchen appliances usually fall into the suspended floor boxes, although such a cabinet itself weighs a lot, and still has to keep everything that is stored in it without weight..
It is also necessary to remember that in order to avoid problems with the docking of modules with lower hanging cabinets, it is better to align the wall to which they are to be mounted as much as possible.. And in no case should you mount them on drywall of kitchen partitions, which can easily collapse under the unbearable weight of the master’s good hung on it..
The most advantageous of all a hanging kitchen with lower cabinets floating above the floor will look in a spacious room, because this beauty can be adequately appreciated only at a distance. But the undoubted advantages of cleaning under the suspended lower cabinets of such a kitchen area and the comfortable position of the legs during cooking will immediately receive universal recognition..
- The best material for making wall cabinets in the kitchen is wood. – pliable pine, antibacterial beech, graceful cherry, cozy walnut, peculiar chestnut and durable oak. For example, a kitchen set that is popular with manufacturers and buyers is made of pine. "Anyuta", moreover, in addition to typical, its dimensions are also non-standard, which makes it possible to rationally use the entire usable area of the kitchen space.
Hanging kitchen cabinets made of natural wood look luxurious in any design and will serve more than one generation of their owners. However, not every cook can afford to equip the kitchen area with them.. In addition, even after special treatment, wooden cabinets remain extremely susceptible to the active environment of the kitchen space..
Therefore, manufacturers offer wall cabinets for the kitchen from cheaper and less capricious materials – from MDF, plastic and chipboard:
- Chipboard (chipboard) Is a rather loose material of economy class, the quality of which directly depends on the composition of wood waste and formaldehyde resins used in its production. Its improved modification, laminated chipboard, has a protective laminated coating, which creates a smooth and strong surface that prevents the volatilization of harmful components. Wall-mounted kitchen cabinets made of chipboard and chipboard are in the lower price segment and are available to a wide range of consumers..
- For the production of MDF boards already solid wood is used, specially split into fibers and pressed with the help of binding components into a durable product, the surface of which is covered with PVC film, veneer or plastic. Wall-mounted kitchen cabinets made of MDF are in demand due to their low price and a wide variety of textures..
- Plastic is considered the optimal material for the manufacture of kitchen hanging cabinets in terms of value for money. This comfortable and completely environmentally friendly material is durable and reliable. At the same time, it is incredibly plastic and easy to process, which allows you to significantly expand the design possibilities for the execution of facades..
Correctly processed surfaces of plastic cabinets are not afraid of temperature extremes and high humidity inherent in kitchens, they are resistant to the appearance of fungus and are quite suitable for installation directly above a sink or a kitchen stove.
Colors and decor
Hanging cabinets should definitely blend in with the entire kitchen space. Choose their style, size and configuration to match the overall design of the rest of the furniture and the color scheme of your kitchen interior.
Remember that the decor of the kitchen area with dark cabinets necessarily requires additional lighting of the room, so as not to lose, even visually, its spaciousness.. And the white wall cabinets in the kitchen will easily get along with both its standard compactness and natural light..
How to choose
Decide on the layout of the room, the size of the cooking zone and a convenient way for you to master the kitchen space. Carefully measure the perimeter of the room and the dimensions of the furniture you buy.
Pay attention to checking the quality of the materials of the selected wall cabinets so that they are not affected by the excess humidity and temperature fluctuations common in all kitchens. Glossy surfaces of facades have a higher degree of moisture resistance..
Check the reliability of the fittings and the strength of the fasteners of the wall-mounted kitchen cabinets: canopies, sliding skids and anchor bolts for installation, as well as hinges, furniture handles and screws must be designed for a long service life in a variety of conditions.
Read carefully the warranty periods and quality certificates issued by the manufacturer for hanging cabinets for your kitchen.
The ideal standard parameters of wall-mounted kitchen cabinets (50×90) have long been calculated by designers, verified by designers and have been repeatedly tested empirically in already comfortable rooms:
- cabinet height – 85-90 cm (basement – 10 cm)
- depth – not less than 46-50 cm, but not more than 60 cm (the built-in box will take over 45 cm)
- facade width – 30-45 cm
- the standard distance between the inner shelves of the cabinet is from 20 to 40 cm
How to assemble
If you first assemble and hang all the boxes without doors on the wall, then it will be easier to hang the facades and adjust the hinges later.. In addition, such an assembly and installation will make it possible to control the gaps between the cabinets, and if you still make a mistake in the calculations, then it is much easier to remove a cabinet without a facade than a fully assembled one..
How to hang with your own hands
It is not difficult to hang kitchen cabinets yourself with your own hands. They need to be fixed on a mounting rail, having previously determined the distance between the tabletop and the bottom of the wall cabinets.
When installing a dish-drying kitchen cabinet, it is worth considering its maximum possible weight when fully loaded. Therefore, for reliable fastening to the wall, it is better to use powerful anchor bolts and strong steel hinges.. And giving preference to a cabinet with transparent or colored glass in the doors, it is worth remembering that it must be tempered and exceed 4 mm in thickness.
And, of course, on the shelves of such a hanging cabinet, it is advisable to constantly observe a beautiful arrangement of dishes and maintain perfect order..
Remember that additional sources of lighting for the kitchen area are never superfluous.. So feel free to use the internal halogen or LED cabinet lighting – your kitchen will only benefit from this..