With the correct design of landscape design in a small area, you can not only significantly transform the space, but also visually increase the area. In order to draw up a construction plan, it is necessary to take into account the design features of the landscape design of a small area. Knowing certain tricks, in a small area you can place all the necessary zones and embody almost any design idea.
When designing a landscape design for a small area, there are no strong restrictions. The main requirement that should be observed is not to clutter up the area with many large buildings or plantings.. In order not to overload the space of the site, it is worth adhering to several basic rules:
- All buildings must be placed at some distance from each other, alternating with other zones. Buildings don’t have to be massive. Shrubs or hedges near buildings can visually make them lighter.
- It is not recommended to set up a large blank fence. A massive fence will visually only reduce the area of an already small area.
- It is worth giving up planting tall trees.
When developing a landscape project, you need to carefully consider how to use every free centimeter of area as efficiently as possible. In the garden area, you can use a variety of pots, planters and boxes for planting plants. When making out the design of a small area, you must adhere to the following principles:
- Uniform design style for all zones.
- Simple shapes.
- It is advisable to avoid sharp corners and strict geometric shapes. Smooth and curved lines are more appropriate.
- The corners must be hidden with decorative elements, small plantings or buildings (gazebo).
- Smooth transitions between zones.
Layout and zoning
It is not necessary to resort to the services of designers to develop a plan for a small site. Ready-made design examples and special computer programs can help you in planning..
Before you start developing landscape design, you need to familiarize yourself with some basic rules. The development of the plan should start with zoning – you need to decide into which functional zones you want to divide the site and how they will adjoin, depending on their purpose. First of all, the following zones are placed on a small area:
- entrance to the site;
- dwelling house and other buildings;
- small garden or vegetable garden;
- recreation area;
- flower garden.
If necessary, you can add other zones, for example, a nursery. When placing zones, some rules should be taken into account:
- Housing and other buildings should occupy no more than ten percent of the total area of the site.
- The garden and vegetable garden should occupy the largest area of the site. But these zones should not account for more than seventy-five percent of the total area..
- The recreation area and flower beds will occupy the remaining fifteen percent of the area.
- If you do not plan to form a garden and vegetable garden area on your site, use this free area for a recreation area.
To achieve maximum functionality when creating a plan it is necessary to pay attention to the placement of zones, depending on the cardinal points. It is advisable to build a house next to the entrance to the site, shifting it to one side. Sheds and other buildings in the yard are desirable to be removed to the background. Outbuildings are usually placed along the hedge from the north or northwest side.
When planting fruitful plants, the biological characteristics of each species must be taken into account. Plants can be scattered on different sides of the plot. For a vegetable garden with beds and a greenhouse, it is advisable to allocate a sunny place in the center of the site. For a recreation area, the optimal place for placement will be a plot in the shade of buildings.
Having decided on the placement of zones on the site, you need to draw up a plan for the placement of all the necessary objects on the territory. In addition to the basic rules for zoning a small area, there are some factors that should be taken into account for the correct placement of all the necessary objects on the site:
- Groundwater. Before laying the foundation of a house, you need to make sure that the groundwater is deep enough.
- The shape of the site. Easier to work with a rectangular area.
- Small landforms that occupy small areas and vary in height within a meter. The microrelief influences the formation of soils and the depth of groundwater. The soils in the depressions are characterized by higher moisture and a higher content of humus than the soils of the hillocks..
- Fertile soil layer. Various plantings and buildings should be placed, depending on the type of soil on the selected plot of land. It is not worth setting up a garden or vegetable garden on sandy or stony soils..
After the site plan has been drawn up and you have decided on the placement of all zones, you need to choose a style in which all zones on the site will be decorated. Today there are a huge number of styles in landscape design.. Let’s consider the most popular destinations:
- Traditional (regular, classic). Regular style is characterized by regular geometric shapes and strict symmetry. The construction of a composition basically starts from the center – the main object is placed at the intended point, be it a house, a fountain or a sculpture, and straight paths are directed from the center in different directions. An important part of the style is a neatly trimmed lawn. As a decoration of the site, antique sculptures, gazebos of the correct shape, small ponds, ornamental plants are appropriate.
- Forest. The name of the style speaks for itself – here human intervention in the natural landscape should be minimal. All buildings should be made of natural wood..
In terms of vegetation, it is advisable to give preference to forest trees and shrubs..
- English (landscape). Strict forms are not encouraged in this style. All objects should be in harmony with natural nature. Green shades should prevail here. Numerous vibrant flower arrangements are welcome.
- Mauritanian. The Moorish style is quite bright and unusual. The garden should be designed in an oriental style, which is based on the compositional principle “chor-bak” (dividing a square area into four equal parts). The garden should be dominated by fragrant fruit trees, fragrant flowers and herbs, fountains, benches in the shade.
- Japanese. A Japanese-style garden can be created in both large and small areas. The characteristic features of this direction are simplicity and naturalness. In this case, symmetry must be abandoned. The garden should be filled with rocks, bodies of water and vegetation.
- Eco style. The main task in the formation of this style is to preserve the naturalness of nature. Materials used for buildings and paths must be natural.
- Country (rustic). This style is the easiest to execute, as it does not require strict rules and gives complete freedom of creativity. In a rustic style, strict lines are unacceptable, everything should look as natural as possible. Various attributes of the village courtyard can be used as decorative elements..
Preference should be given to bright colors and natural materials..
- Mediterranean (Italian). It is distinguished by an abundance of colors, lush greenery and numerous water bodies. A plot in this style should resemble a resort place. As vegetation, a combination of conifers and citrus plants would be ideal..
- Modern. Modernity is characterized by smooth streamlined forms, sophistication and a certain elitism. Plants come into the background here – the emphasis should be on the architecture of small buildings. The design should include various objects with forged elements, but the presence of a reservoir is not required.
- Minimalism. This style is characterized by simplicity and conciseness. Paths are made extremely straight. Spherical figures made of metal or stone can be used as decorative elements. Bright vegetation should be discarded or used in a minimal amount..
- Alpine. This style is characterized by the formation of the relief of the site, the absence of fences, and an abundance of stones. It is better to use conifers and perennials as vegetation..
- Scandinavian. Natural landscape prevails in the Scandinavian style. Flowers should be planted in containers, and areas with wild plants should be formed in small meadows. The space should be as open as possible. Instead of a fence, it is better to install a hedge.
Decor and landscaping
Decorating elements and vegetation on the site can be very diverse – it is worth starting first of all from the chosen style in which the landscape is made out. It is also worth considering some of the design features of small areas..
A small garden should not be overloaded with a large number of flower arrangements.. A small courtyard can be decorated with various decorative elements: a small pond, a stream, bridges, fountains, small sculptures. Small conifers (juniper) in combination with fern will look great in the recreation area.
In addition to the usual flower beds and flower beds, you can build an alpine slide in a small area. Rock gardens are a real decoration of the landscape. The following options for drawing up an alpine composition are possible:
- Cliff. A hill is formed of large stones with a minimum amount of plantings. Plants are planted in niches.
- Slope. Composing such a composition consists in combining stones of different sizes. Abundant plantings of various types of low-growing plants are welcome here.
- Valley. Large boulders should be surrounded by abundantly flowering plants.
- The gorge. It is the most difficult composition of the alpine slide. The slopes of a shallow ravine are covered with stones and planted with rocky plants.
A popular type of design for a small area is vertical gardening.
You can decorate the composition on the wall of a house, on a fence or next to other vertical buildings, you can also additionally install arches, trellises or screens.
It is important to approach landscaping a small area responsibly.. Here are some simple rules for landscaping a small area:
- You should not leave empty spaces in the garden, but too much with plantings and decor is also inappropriate. Free space can be filled with green lawn.
- Trees and shrubs should be planted in order of decreasing height from north to south.
- Do not plant plants of different colors. Colors should be in harmony with each other.
- Flower beds of various shapes and sizes will look spectacular. The space will appear more voluminous.
- It is advisable to plant larger plants with large leaves near the house..
- Curly pruning of shrubs is not only aesthetically attractive, but also gives a feeling of completeness and volumetric space.
- If you arrange separate compositions with yellow or white flowers in the garden, then visually the boundaries of the site will expand significantly.
With the help of decorative elements, buildings and plantings of a certain color and shape, you can visually change the area of the summer cottage. Here are some original solutions that will help make the site visually larger:
- Garden level. If the garden is at least twenty centimeters higher than other zones, then visually the site will seem much larger than neighboring zones of the same area.
- Instead of a blank fence, you can use a metal mesh or hedge. It is also recommended not to install the fence with a solid wall, but change the height and width of the fence in places..
- Using objects of a round or spherical shape. It can be sculptures, plant compositions, various decorative elements..
- Winding paths. It is recommended to direct the paths to thickets of plants and shrubs – this will give the effect of infinity of space.
Interesting compositions with light flowers, planted in distant corners, will help brighten the area around the edges.
A small fence and compact beds are decorated in the same color scheme. Smooth lawn and abundant plantings next to the fence visually increase the size of a small vegetable garden.
Cozy seating area on a small summer cottage with a gazebo and sun loungers by the pool. Shrubs planted along the fence distract attention and blur the boundaries of the territory..
Entrance area in a modern design using spherical figures as an element of decor.
Alpine slide will become a bright touch in any landscape.
For information on how to create the right garden plan, see the next video..