In the recent past, the owners of suburban areas were quite happy with the presence of a garden and a vegetable garden outside the windows of their homes. Today, time is shaping different views of the owners of cottages, their aesthetic perception is much more weighty than carrots that can be bought on the market..
The concept of landscape design includes not only green spaces, it takes into account the terrain, functional buildings, lighting and many other elements. Perhaps a small garden is more difficult to organize than to equip 45 acres, but in the first case, the result will be visible immediately, and in the second, you will have to wait for years until the trees grow.
Landscape designers believe that the site project should be developed even before the house is built, then the whole area, together with the cottage, garage, gazebo and green area, will look like a single whole. But if there is a house, but there is no designer, you can independently plan your site..
It is necessary in the plan to indicate the exact dimensions of the territory, the presence of a building, data on the movement of the sun over the site, information on the occurrence of groundwater (if any). Having figured out the basic component, you can move on to planning landscape elements. All buildings, entrance, paths, flower beds, irrigation system should also be marked. Every tree and bush must find a place in the original plan. You need to make a calculation of the approximate costs.
A good project will help you avoid many mistakes..
The style is chosen at the stage of the project, subsequently all work should be oriented towards it. There are the main directions of the improvement of the cottage area:
- Formal style Is a clear geometry. Smooth paths, symmetrical flower beds, buildings of regular shapes take their place strictly, without going beyond the territories allotted to them. Only a large area can afford formal styling. A small garden with clear symmetry and proportions will appear even smaller.
- Natural style, on the contrary, it does not tolerate rules. All its paths are winding, constructions are chaotic, flower beds are of different sizes. Despite this liberty in the design approach, the site looks natural and cute. This stylization is suitable for small areas..
- Landscape style. Sometimes, in large areas, part of the wildlife is left, embedding it in the cultivated landscape. This is a very complex process that requires special knowledge. After the correct work on the natural massif, it becomes not so wild, but the power of real nature is still preserved in it..
- Thematic style supports a single theme, for example, a cozy French courtyard, a pompous English park or a Japanese mini-garden.
The components of a single concept, called landscape design, include:
- Lawn – it is difficult to imagine a cozy courtyard without him. In large areas, the lawn is given a lot of space – in front of the house and to support the background around the colorful flower beds. Near gazebos, benches, fountains, the green of the grass looks much nicer and fresher than the bare ground..
- Tracks – on the construction market there are quite a lot of materials for their manufacture, the choice depends on the style and imagination of the designer. In addition to the usual tiles, stone, shell rock, you can use log cuts and other natural materials. In large gardens, straight, symmetrical paths look good. In small areas, paths should wag between trees and flower beds, disappear into the bushes, allowing the imagination to imagine that there is a large garden behind the bushes.
- Gazebo, terrace – with walls, with a roof, or without them, they are still favorite buildings for summer vacations. They can be surrounded by green grapes or draped with a mosquito net, equipped with an oven, barbecue and other picnic devices..
- Decorative reservoir – there are different types: with a fountain, a waterfall, a pond, as in Japanese mini-gardens. He always becomes a decoration of the landscape. Water attracts the eye and distracts attention from the size of the garden, which is beneficial for small areas. The reservoir itself is usually lined with natural stone..
- The decor of the facade of the cottage must support general style of the site, otherwise, all efforts to create a harmonious garden will be in vain.
- Lighting can go along the top, for example, on pillars or the facade of a building and along the bottom, being directly on the ground (in the form of balls, cones, hemispheres).
The bottom light favorably emphasizes decorative bridges, ponds, figurines of fairy-tale heroes.
Trees and shrubs
Green spaces on the personal plot are not only pleasing to the eye, but also perform practical functions: they strengthen the soil on the slopes, decorate fences and outbuildings.
They come in different forms: weeping, with a “flowing” crown, decorative dwarf fruiting forms, with spherical crowns.
Usually trees from 1 to 7 meters are used; variations with plants of different heights look spectacular. For correct visual perception, higher trees are assigned a background, low planting material is placed closer. The contemplation of the site begins with the gate. Trees can grow singly or form decorative groups.
For the vast expanses of Russia, there are no unambiguous recipes for choosing and caring for trees; they are different for each region. From the list of many species, you can pick up vegetation that matches the climatic conditions of any area:
- Conifers – the most popular type of landscape vegetation. They do not require special care and are green all year round. Pine loves sandstone, spruce can grow on marshy soils, these features should be taken into account for planting them in different areas. Yew does not require pruning and forms good low hedges.
- Thuja. Favorite plant by many. It looks great in compositions with any trees and shrubs, it can be the main component in the design concept. Forms a fence well.
- Paradise apple tree. Decorative undersized tree, weeping look is especially beautiful. During fruiting, the plant is strewn with wonderful multi-colored fruits, looks attractive and tastes good.
- Magnolia. During flowering, this tree can be admired for hours. Only on it you can see delicate pink flowers, the size of a child’s ball..
Shrubs play a connecting role between trees and flower beds. Not a single landscape design can do without them.. The most popular wild-growing shrubs are:
- Junipers. Frost-resistant plants with a pleasant smell, have a large variety of forms and varieties. Any composition will be decorated in the garden.
- Barberry. A cheerful shrub with a changing color scheme during seasonal changes.
- Kalina loves shady places and good watering. Equally beautiful during flowering and at the time of fruiting.
- Variegata. If you allocate enough space for this shrub, it can independently create a lush flower bed..
When decorating a plot of land with flowers, they create flower beds and free flower beds. The filling depends on the style, taste of the owner, season and climatic possibilities.
- Free flower beds are flush with the ground. They have hidden frames that do not allow flowers to grow over the site. They are thoughtfully distributed over the territory between the compositions of trees and shrubs, buildings and garden decor..
- The flower beds always have active framing. It can be a familiar border, stone, wood, forging, wattle.
The material for filling flower beds and flower beds is chosen to the taste of the owner, but taking into account the stylization of the entire territory.
The completed landscape design will create comfort and a pleasant mood. With proper care, it will serve its owners for many years.
For even more recommendations for creating landscape design, see below..