Currently, the building materials market is saturated with an impressive variety of goods for various purposes, fences are no exception. In addition to the main function of protecting private households, these structures also perform an aesthetic role, where the material for the manufacture of fences occupies an important place. It makes sense to understand in more detail what are welded mesh fences.
A welded mesh fence is a variety of metal sections mounted on vertical posts, the basis of which is a steel mesh with a certain hole size. The elements are fastened together by spot welding, which provides a sufficiently strong connection. Reliable connecting rods act as auxiliary stiffeners.
Such structures are installed in order to ensure the protection of private territory, but modern trends require maximum opportunities to create an original design of the estate, including the landscape and exterior of buildings. Additional details that can be used in the manufacture of sections will help diversify the metal fence and give individuality to the structure..
Fences are popular not only in everyday life, they are often installed in public places and at enterprises.
In some places, welded mesh fences are essential. These areas include:
- sports grounds;
- industrial facilities and enterprises requiring the creation of protective fences with increased safety: railway stations, gas and electrical substations, KTP, gas stations;
- the territory of schools, parks, supermarkets, and other public institutions.
These fences are also used as:
- restrictive nets for forestry and agricultural needs;
- universal barriers for private suburban areas, dachas, parking lots for various types of transport;
- decorative fences;
- metal structures for greenhouses, enclosures for pets;
Advantages and disadvantages
Welded mesh metal fencing systems retain their original appearance for a long period of operation. Installation work is carried out quickly and easily. The material is characterized by absolute environmental friendliness, improved anti-corrosion properties, and does not require special care. Mesh cells can be of various sizes.
In addition, the welded mesh fence has the following advantages:
- the rigidity of the mesh avoids sagging and bending;
- the color palette is presented in a wide range;
- the design is lightweight, promotes normal air circulation and light penetration without creating a shadow.
The disadvantages of such fences are considered excessive visibility of the territory. In the spring-summer period, green spaces around the entire perimeter will help to correct the situation..
Consumer reviews note that such fences represent the best solution in terms of value for money..
For a long time, metal products have been used in construction, and nowadays various decorative elements from this material are in great demand. In modern production, steel mesh for the manufacture of designer fence systems is processed with a special compound, which significantly improves technical characteristics and increases its operational period..
Based on the coating of the material used, welded mesh for fences are:
- non-galvanized – the most budgetary option that requires painting after installation;
- galvanized – sufficiently durable, resistant to weathering;
- with polymer coating – mesh additionally protected from weather conditions and mechanical damage, presented mainly in green;
- galvanized and coated with polymer mass – the most expensive option, but also the most durable;
- stainless steel.
Fencing structures are classified not only by the metal coating, but also by the method of installation. On this basis, they are divided into two main types.
Stretch welded mesh fences
Such fences are installed using special racks, between which a welded mesh produced in rolls is stretched. A characteristic feature of rolled mesh is a relatively small wire diameter, which allows the product to be rolled into a roll.
This type is easy to transport and can easily straighten before use.. In terms of performance data, the product has poor mechanical performance. These fences are the simplest and most affordable option that can be used for both private and industrial purposes.
Sectional welded mesh fences
Installation of such a structure is the most expensive than simple tensioning work, but with all this, sectional systems made of welded mesh are among the most demanded options..
Component parts for such fences are produced in cards or gitters, which are welded sections with certain commensurate dimensions, length and width.. Such fencing is made from thick rods and cannot be rolled up..
How to choose?
Choosing a fence made of welded mesh, quite often an important question arises related to the type of coverage. Currently, in the manufacture of roll mesh for fencing, as a rule, galvanized or non-galvanized mesh is used.. For panel or sectional welded mesh structures, PPL and PVC coatings are used:
- PPL coating or powder paint without the use of liquid solvents. The coating has a reliable and high-quality adhesion to metal due to a special application and baking technology. PPL is deservedly called an anti-vandal agent, the paint is not afraid of external negative influences and temperature changes. The disadvantages include a low level of elasticity, which does not allow covering products in rolls. Therefore, PPL paint only finished sections..
Sectional fences can have a wide range of colors, as powder painting makes it possible to choose a shade from a large RAL catalog. Panels can also vary in shape and size..
- PVC coating (polymer mass) has much fewer advantages. If the elasticity of the paint is superior to powder spraying, then the resistance to negative factors leaves much to be desired. The technology of applying a polymer coating causes a rather high cost of products.
When choosing products, you should pay attention to some factors:
- quality of welded seams;
- no deviations in the wire section;
- mesh strength, ability to withstand kinks;
- availability of a quality certificate.
Depending on the purpose of the protective structure, when choosing, you should be guided by certain rules:
- for a fence in private areas, it is advisable to use a mesh with a height of 1.25 – 2.05 m with a wire thickness of 4-4.5 mm.
- In industrial areas, it is recommended to use meshes with a height of 2.05 to 2.25 m and a wire thickness of 4.5 to 5.5 mm.
- For playgrounds, as well as public areas, grids with a height of 1.25-2.25 m, a rod thickness of 4-5.5 mm are used as fencing.
- The smaller the cells and the thicker the rod, the more stable and durable the structure itself.
It should not be forgotten that installation work on the construction of metal structures from welded meshes is recommended to be carried out by professional craftsmen, since inexperienced workers may not know all the intricacies of the installation, which will entail a decrease in reliability and service life
But still, you should familiarize yourself with the installation sequence of this type of fences.. The stages of installation of tension barriers are:
- Determination of the railing line, marking, including the location of the supports.
- Digging holes of the desired depth in the designated places.
- Installation of supports and pouring the base with concrete.
- Tension of the roll net between the supports. It is carried out after the concrete has hardened, starting from the corner of the fence. The mesh is attached to the posts with clamps, as a result of which the integrity of the fence is achieved.
When installing sectional fences, you need to take into account a slight difference from the above steps. It consists in purchasing special corners that will help create a strong frame. A rectangular section is welded from these elements, on which the welded section is then fixed.
There are several subtleties of installing fences that you should know:
- it is best to use metal pillars as supports;
- the rolled mesh must be unfolded before use and left for 1-2 days;
- cement mortar is best prepared on a per pillar basis;
- installation work will be more correctly performed in the spring, when the earth is already loose.
Installation of a welded mesh fence is not difficult, the main thing is to follow the sequence and know all the nuances. As a result, an interesting, practical and uncomplicated fence will come out..
Metal fences are varied. Welded mesh fences according to the main criteria are no worse than stone or brick fences. In production, high-quality steel alloys are used, which provide a high level of reliability, strength and durability. It is necessary to choose them, taking into account the functions and principles of site design, focusing on products from well-known manufacturers.
The products of the Belgian company are popular in the world market “Bekaert”, which has been supplying quality welded wire fencing systems for a long time. Domestic manufacturers offer products at a lower price, but impeccable quality, reliability and durability remain with Bekaert.
Russian TM “Cascade” specializes in the production of materials for this type of fencing. Domestic galvanized roll mesh allows you to erect fences at industrial enterprises, in summer cottages, on the banks of reservoirs.
The choice of welded mesh fencing is the right solution, providing versatility, namely, reliable protection while maintaining the viewing option and the penetration of sunlight throughout the fenced area..
Currently, such fences are very popular mainly in the West, but they have already begun to spread rapidly in the CIS..
For tips on installing a welded mesh fence, see below..