The hallway is the face of any apartment. It is very important to present this part of the house in a favorable light, and this can be done through the right lighting that matches the interior. In lighting stores there are a huge number of models of chandeliers and lamps that are suitable for the front and corridor, but it can be difficult to choose the right model among the whole variety of products. That is why you should familiarize yourself in advance with the types of lamps and take into account the features of your hallway when choosing them..
A dark corridor does not contribute to a pleasant first impression of the apartment. Therefore, lighting is a necessary part of the hallway. Due to the lack of windows in this part of the apartment, it is necessary to create more light with the help of its artificial sources..
Lighting in the hallway has the following features:
- The amount of light should not be less than in adjacent rooms, regardless of the time of day. Light contrast when moving from other parts of the apartment to the hallway is not needed, because it negatively affects vision.
- It is better to choose such lamps in the corridor, the power of which is maximum. It is not necessary to have lighting fixtures all over the place, as there may be little space in the hallway. High power will save you space and perfectly illuminate the room.
- To create additional lighting in the hallway, use partitions with glass blocks. They will allow light from adjacent rooms to penetrate the corridor and create additional illumination..
- In combination with light walls and mirrors, lighting fixtures become a means of visually expanding the hallway space. With the correct arrangement of the lamps, you will make the room much brighter and more spacious. To increase the space, use wall lamps, the light of which falls on certain points of the ceiling and walls..
- To expand a narrow hallway, you need to direct the lighting to the top of the walls. An unsuccessful layout can be corrected by using different types of lighting sources, decorated in the same style. If you want to visually make the ceilings lower, then direct the light with a slight scattering angle to the floor and walls. To increase the height of the ceiling, it should be decorated in white and shine light on it..
- In a large hallway, you can make zone lighting, creating an accent on the wardrobe or mirrored surfaces. You can also combine ceiling and wall lights.
The main source of light in the hallway can be a ceiling chandelier. Depending on the features of the layout, the size of the room and the style of the interior, it can be round, elongated or square. In most cases, it is not much lower than the ceiling..
The corridor is not the most suitable place for voluminous pendant chandeliers, so it is better to leave such models for other rooms..
In addition to the main lamp, it is permissible to build spotlights into the ceiling. They will create an additional light effect and become a necessary interior detail if the hallway is large. Such lamps can be used as the main light source if your hallway has low ceilings.
The accent function is performed by LED backlighting. It is installed. to emphasize any interior items in the hallway or even divide the corridor into zones.
Large rooms are often supplemented with wall lamps, which have various configurations and are often not only a source of light, but also an element of decor.
Often the use of a mechanical switch in the corridor is inconvenient, so a circuit breaker with a motion sensor has become a new word. Now, if you are running late, you don’t have to worry about forgetting to turn off the lights. Returning to get your belongings left at home, you will not stain the floors in the hallway as you walk to the light switch..
As a night light source, you can choose LED lamps by installing them in the lower part of the wall or skirting board. They are built in one by one, at an equal distance from each other. A whole LED strip is used as a floor illumination. It does not have to emit ordinary light, sometimes its glow is made in specific shades..
Which to choose?
When choosing lamps for the corridor, it is important to take into account its layout and features. These include factors such as ceiling height, corridor width, room layout, ceiling covering.
You can highlight the signs that determine the choice of specific lamp models in the corridor.
To stretch ceilings
Stretch ceilings have been popular for a long time, but not all models of lighting structures can be installed on them. The following lamps will be the most suitable for such a ceiling:
- Overhead lamps – structures in which the light bulb is not flush with the ceiling, but is located below. It is separated from the ceiling level by a platform. On top of the lamp, a small shade is often attached, and due to this, it cools rather quickly. Such models have a wide angle of light scattering..
- Another type of lamps is built-in. Their body, together with the light bulb itself, is built into the ceiling level; only the decorative ring of the body is visible from the outside. Sometimes the lamp is protected by a special glass of the plafond. Several LEDs are mounted in it to create an additional lighting effect. Such models are less cooled, which can eventually affect the condition of the ceiling itself..
- To create additional lighting behind the stretch ceiling curtain are installed led strip. They are not only a decorative element, but also a means of zonal distribution..
For a small hallway
A small room is best illuminated by a not too bulky high power ceiling lamp, evenly surrounded by recessed lights. If there is no ceiling for spot lighting in the corridor, then pick up a pair of sconces with flat shades that do not hide the space. They will look perfect when matched with a chandelier.
You can make accent lighting on any shelves and the area where the mirror is located..
In the “Khrushchev”
Hallways in “Khrushchevs”, which are only a couple of meters in area, also need competent lighting design. One or two lamps can be built into a wardrobe, which is often chosen for such hallways. Ceiling luminaires, the light of which is best directed to one side, can be arranged in a row. Wall lights are best directed upwards.
The technique for increasing the space will be the installation of a mirrored wardrobe door, in which the light will be reflected.
In a narrow and long corridor
To widen a narrow corridor, use small but powerful ceiling lights. They can be located one after another along the entire length of the corridor, in a checkerboard pattern, or form a composition on the ceiling. Complement the corridor with wall lamps, their light will help expand the space, especially if there are light walls in the hallway.
Make a light-emitting diode light over the ceiling plinth. If there is a built-in wardrobe in the hallway, it can also be emphasized with additional lighting..
For narrow corridors, opt for daylight.
You can find out even more about the rules for choosing lamps for the hallway from the video below..
Design and placement options
There are many secret techniques for placing lighting fixtures in the hallway of a private house or apartment that will make your apartment truly luxurious and stylish..
For a square hallway, it is better to focus on its central part with a large lamp. It can be supplemented with a decorative shade or additional light sources.
For a rectangular hallway, built-in lamps will be an interesting option for lighting design. If you have a suspended or suspended ceiling, then there are a number of spot lamp arrangements for your attention..
Among them you can find both symmetrical and asymmetrical compositions:
- When the main light source is in the center, spotlights can be located one or three in each corner of the room, can be located on both sides of the main source in the form of straight or curved lines.
- Spotlights can be located in a zigzag or smooth line around the main source.
- Sometimes two types of built-in lighting devices are involved in the interior design, staggered or alternating with each other.
The mirror is one of the most popular places in the hallway for placing lamps. Wall structures create a certain zoning. They can be located on the sides of the mirror. An LED strip can be located around it, which adds elegance and originality to the interior of the hallway. Mirrors in cabinet doors are often illuminated by built-in lights from above..
In the L-shaped corridor, as a rule, 2 rows of built-in lamps are made, located parallel to each other. Some of these hallways have a two-level ceiling. At each level there are lamps of a certain diameter, in the central section of the ceiling they are of a larger diameter, and on the adjacent to the wall the size of spotlights is smaller..
Determine the quantity
A room without natural light, such as a corridor, needs as many additional light sources as possible. But it is worth remembering that the number of lamps also depends on their power and light characteristics. Fluorescent lamps are much brighter than conventional lamps, so if they are used, you can get by with fewer lighting fixtures..
If small recessed ceiling lights are located close to each other, you need to buy them in larger quantities. If the lamps on the stretch ceiling are larger, then their number in the room can be reduced. Remember that busting with light can play a cruel joke. If, after dim street lighting, you enter a corridor filled with bright light, then you may feel discomfort in your eyes..
Some hallways have wardrobes with open shelves that can be accentuated with additional lighting. Sophisticated people even provide light for decor items such as paintings..
You can place the lights in the hallway wherever you like. It is enough to show your imagination, and you will get an ideal hallway with original lighting design..
Beautiful examples in the interior
In addition to the successful location of the lamps in the hallway, you need to remember about their compatibility with the rest of the interior. Therefore, it is necessary to highlight the features characteristic of lighting fixtures of popular styles..
- High-tech style is based on geometry, it involves decorating the ceiling with LED strips. Ceiling lights are usually recessed or located a short distance from the ceiling. They are designed in square or round shapes, emit mainly daylight and can be complemented by wall lighting. In large corridors, fluorescent lamps are sometimes attached to the walls, which is a characteristic feature of this direction.
- Loft-style corridor with brick walls and an attic theme allows wall lamps with shades that imitate the design of a lantern in brown or bronze colors. For the ceiling, spotlight lighting is often chosen, located in one or two rows along the length of the hallway. Suspended structures consisting of several miniature lamps without fanciful shades are sometimes acceptable..
- For a delicate style, Provence graceful wall sconces with a light shade are preferred. They must match the shades of the pendant lamp. In some cases, in the hallway, several suspended structures are hung not very far from the ceiling. They are arranged in a row one after the other. Provencal lampshades can have a square frame, be transparent, or present an elegant interwoven design..
- In modern minimalism no emphasis is placed on the external signs of lighting fixtures. They play an exclusively functional role in the hallway – they illuminate the space, divide the territory into zones, and emphasize specific details in the interior. Minimalism presupposes luminaires or LED constructions mounted in the ceiling; you can rarely find plafonds. They do not differ in intricate shapes and are most often monochromatic..
- Eco style very unusual for a corridor, but even in a similar room, it is found. The role of the luminaires is focused on illuminating the vegetation area. Decorative lighting for flower pots looks very original and is a hallmark of the eco direction. If lamps with shades are chosen for the main lighting, then they are made of natural materials.
- For baroque style small-sized corridors are unacceptable, because all the pretentiousness and pomp of the style requires space. On the ceiling, a large crystal pendant lamp is an obligatory attribute. Sometimes it can be supplemented with small LEDs along the edges of the ceiling. Wall lamps can imitate candles and candelabra, their mounts are decorated in gold or bronze.
- Hallway in African style Is a riot of colors and prints. In such a corridor, let’s say a slightly subdued light, shading the main shades of design – yellow, brown, green, beige. Ceiling chandeliers can be square, while walls can be decorated with cone-shaped lamps, the light of which is directed exclusively upwards. An African hallway can be decorated with a lighting fixture such as a floor lamp. Its lampshade will become a striking decorative element; it often takes on an accent role in the interior..
- Dome lamps mediterranean style – ideal solution for hallway lighting. This direction involves the use of bright shades of warm colors. It does not allow daylight in the hallway. In such a room, a large number of paintings are allowed, so an additional light accent can be made on them. Simple ceiling lamps for wall lamps will not create the impression of street lighting, but, on the contrary, will bring a touch of comfort and romance to the interior..
Whichever interior you choose, it is important to remember that the way it will appear for you and your guests depends on the lighting. If you decide to make your corridor a truly spacious and cozy place, do not forget about all the parameters for choosing lighting fixtures and try to combine functionality, beauty and original design in them..