Hall interior: choose wallpaper
The interior of the main room of the dwelling requires a special approach to the choice of each element. Wallpaper is one of the significant details of the furnishings. It is they who determine the mood and set the right tone for any design, filling the room with an atmosphere of home comfort..
In order for them to really create harmony in the interior of the hall, the approach to their choice must be thorough: a number of factors must be taken into account, among which are the characteristics of the room, the composition of the material, its texture, width, method of application, and design techniques. In this article, we will look at how to choose wallpaper, and methods of modern cladding with fashionable design techniques..
Features of the room
A hall or living room is a special room in the dwelling. This is a place where the whole family gathers, a room where guests are invited for pleasant communication. This is a festive area in the event of family celebrations, a common room for everyone who lives in the house, so the interior of the hall should take into account the interests of everyone. The room should be comfortable, comfortable, with a pleasant atmosphere. It doesn’t matter if it is in a city apartment, a country house or a summer residence: harmony is appropriate everywhere.
The living room space is not always sufficient. In most cases, the hall is a small room, sometimes it is even a “Khrushchev” room that is far from the best layout. The room can have corners, ledges, broken perspective, which complicates its perception and requires the competent use of cladding.
It is often possible to notice clearly curved walls with a difference of up to 10 cm.In addition, the hall often has a lack of location of windows and doorways, which can be striking.
In some cases, the difficulty lies in the insufficient height of the ceiling, which creates an oppressive atmosphere, visually reduces the usable area and makes it difficult to choose wallpaper..
However, whatever the features of the premises, it is not always necessary to have a global repair of the hall with the demolition of the load-bearing walls, an increase in doorways. This can lead to sinking of the walls and a greater aggravation of the negative perception of space. Often in order to make the room pleasant to be, it is enough to choose the right wallpaper and furniture. Moreover, the basis for the interior is almost always set by the facing: it indicates which of the interior items is appropriate in a given room.
The decoration of the hall, in turn, hints at the theme of other rooms in the house, which can be expressed in shades of the color palette, the texture of the used cladding and other factors, depending on the specific case..
Benefits of cladding
Wall cladding with wallpaper has a lot of advantages.. This material:
- manufactured on modern technological equipment, due to which it is distinguished by high quality and practical characteristics;
- changes the aesthetic perception of the hall space, giving it the desired stylistic direction, taking into account the possibilities of a particular room;
- allows you to beat the drawbacks of the room, divert attention from them or specially emphasize with a special design technique, turning them into the advantages of the room design;
- is not limited in the theme of the print, which allows you to use wallpaper as an element of decorating the space, through which you can bring individuality and the desired atmosphere into the hall;
- depending on the type of raw material, its shade and size of the print, it is able to visually play with the lack of space and illumination, filling the hall with space and light;
- differs in the type of texture, due to which it is able to give the required status to the existing furnishings;
- is not limited in shades of the color palette, which allows you to choose the material to match the furniture or additional interior accessories;
- has a variability of width, due to which it is always possible to pasting the surface with a minimum number of joints, saving material in places where corners, protrusions, niches are glued;
- depending on the thickness and type of structure, it is an alternative to soundproofing the walls, reducing annoying extraneous sounds from neighboring apartments;
- in varieties with a dense structure, it is the thermal insulation of the walls, which is especially noticeable in the cold season;
- based on the characteristics of the composition, it is able to mask minor irregularities in the walls, which is convenient and simplifies the process of preparing the base where there is no particular need for it;
- strengthens walls, which is especially important in rooms where previously there was plaster or whitewash on the walls;
- through the shade used and the chosen theme of the print, it is able to have a positive effect on households, bringing the right mood and temperature into the atmosphere;
- in many varieties it has additional impregnations, through which it acquires resistance to fire, pollution and moisture, the formation of an environment for the appearance of microorganisms, fungus and mold;
- depending on the type of material used, the method of applying the pattern, the complexity of the pattern, texture, width and additional effects, it differs in cost, which increases the circle of buyers and allows everyone to purchase the cladding, taking into account their own preferences and available budget.
Wallpapering the hall with wallpaper has several drawbacks.. Wallpaper for the hall:
- they are not always selected correctly, therefore they look inappropriate, or they interrupt the interior composition, having an abundance of variegation and creating a feeling of disorder;
- depending on the type of material, they require the correct choice of glue, otherwise they can stick to vertical wall surfaces much less;
- they are not selected solely on external indicators, since they may not be suitable, taking into account humidity or the degree of practicality, in a particular interior;
- in most cases, they need to adjust the pattern, which increases the consumption of material, leaving after work residues that are not suitable for finishing even small planes;
- it is difficult to combine with each other if the space of the room is small, or two companions with drawings that do not match with each other are chosen as the basis;
- in some varieties, they are unstable to moisture and water, which spoils the appearance of the pasted surface, leaving stains after drying, lagging of the material from the wall, forcing adjustments, or re-gluing the wallpaper completely;
- do not always have a breathable structure, which in apartments with high humidity leads to the formation of mold and mildew, which have a harmful effect on the body of households.
Types of wallpaper
Today, the construction market offers a wide range of interior finishes on a different basis. Wallpaper is a versatile material available to every buyer, therefore, it is they who are in great demand along with other cladding.. According to the form of release, the best types of these products are divided into three types:
- roll, the width of which is 53, 60, 70, 90, 100, 106 cm, the length varies on average up to 10 – 15 m;
- powder, sold in bags weighing 1 kg for self-dilution and preparation of the material;
- wet, which is a ready-made facing material that does not need to be adjusted before work.
There are many wall coverings in the collections of successful brands, but not all of them are worthy of selection as decoration for the walls of the hall. It is worth immediately excluding from the list fluorescent and holographic varieties that are inappropriate in the design of the hall, regardless of the chosen style. Among other types of wallpaper, it is worth noting several groups that have strengths and weaknesses..
This category of roll wallpaper is divided into two types:
- simplex – a material consisting of one layer, characterized by a smooth surface;
- duplex – wallpaper consisting of two or more layers of cellulose, having a more attractive top layer, sometimes coarse fiber, consisting of compressed wood chips.
Such wallpapers are widespread due to their low price, they allow you to save on the purchase of material, are convenient where repairs are often done.
Thin types of canvases are quite capricious in pasting, therefore they often form bubbles, being glued to the surface of the walls. Dense varieties are somewhat rough. The joints of these categories are peeled off more often.. Paper wallpaper is characterized by simple patterns, a rustic texture, and a short service life (up to 5 years). They are afraid of moisture, get soaked if water gets on the surface, over time they independently lag behind the walls, even if the preparation of the base was carried out carefully.
This cladding is considered one of the most popular, featuring a premium appearance and the presence of several varieties.. The category includes wallpapers:
- made of foamed vinyl;
- heavy canvases;
- compact vinyl;
The simplest of them are foamed varieties, wallpapers made by hot embossing with a silk structure, through which they create some of the most delicate and demanded patterns, are recognized as premium..
Vinyl cladding is great for decorating hall walls: wallpaper made on the basis of vinyl or non-woven material perfectly mask minor irregularities in the walls.
The category differs in different material thicknesses, excellent performance characteristics and the presence of additional effects, which paper counterparts do not have. They have a fireproof, moisture resistant and antibacterial impregnation, they are able to decorate the walls of a living room for up to 15 years without the need to glue joints. In operation, they are simple, do not form waves, bubbles, due to the meter thickness, they allow you to minimize the number of joints between the canvases. The lack of material is the presence of harmful components that eventually make themselves felt (formaldehyde vapors are released into the air).
Non-woven wallpaper is more popular than vinyl counterparts. In contrast, they are an ecological finish that is harmless to the human body, so they can be safely placed in the key room of the house.. They are elastic and thin. This allows even a curved vertical plane to be pasted over so that there are no gaps between the wallpaper strips, if necessary, slightly stretching the material.
The prints of this cladding are one of the best among all varieties, noticeably standing out against the background of other analogues..
The advantages of non-woven wallpaper include a large width of fabrics, resistance to the absorption of various odors, and good air exchange. The material is 70% cellulose and 30% chemical additives. Non-woven wallpaper created by pressing non-woven and cellulose fibers bonded with polymers does not shrink during pasting.
They look like paper fabric, adhere perfectly to walls made of plasterboard, plywood, porous concrete, and are fireproof. These wallpapers do not fade under the sun, serve for more than 15 years, are more expensive than vinyl counterparts, gradually accumulate dust on the surface, so they need to be cleaned.
This roll-up decoration for the hall is unique in its origin: the wallpaper is literally woven from fiberglass threads, giving them a clear fixation by means of special impregnations. Glass fiber is created from soda, sand, dolomite and lime, combined with paper. Each time the pattern is different: it can resemble a herringbone, cobwebs, rhombuses, chaotic lines, a kind of lace.
Fire resistance is inherent in these canvases: manufacturers process fiberglass material with a special impregnation.
According to the assurances of the manufacturers, the material is designed for 20-30 years of service, has a different density, good vapor permeability: it is not subject to temperature changes and can be dyed up to 20 times.
The material is distinguished by high indicators of quality and strength, glass wallpaper is durable, looks good on the wall of the hall. However, they cannot be glued onto regular glue. Subject to the gluing technology, this cladding will firmly adhere to the walls, especially in places of maximum operational load: this material is resistant to cleaning, provides for care with a damp cloth.
Removing it from the walls is problematic. Glass fiber differs from fiberglass, they contain modified starch, which increases adhesion to the wall surface when pasting. They are made on traditional weaving and jacquard looms, which determines the pattern and texture of the material..
This finish is one of the best materials for decorating hall walls. It is predominantly one meter long wallpaper with a premium fabric look. The surface of the cladding is created by gluing textile threads to the paper base, which can be parallel to each other at the closest possible distance or in the form of a weave.
The material can be made with a non-woven backing. The finish itself is distinguished by pleasant tactile sensations, it insulates the walls.
In the development of the front surface, the brands use cotton, silk, woolen fibers, canvas, jute and polyester. Textile wallpapers are excellent sound insulation: they absorb sound better than paper and vinyl counterparts. In their work, they are quite capricious: it is unacceptable for the adhesive to hit the woven surface, this spoils its structure. To stick textile wallpaper, you need to glue only the wall with glue, fortunately, the substrate allows this. In care, the material allows infrequent processing of the front surface with a vacuum cleaner or a semi-dry sponge. These wallpapers are durable, last up to 15 years.
This facing of the hall is a packaged wallpaper, which is sold in the form of a powder or a ready-made mixture, due to which the latter are often called “wet wallpaper”. They are not decorative plaster, as they do not contain sand or gypsum. Liquid wallpaper, which looks like a sour cream-like mass, is divided into colored varieties and analogs for painting. Compared to roll wallpaper this cladding is more voluminous, it is thicker, perfectly masks the unevenness of the walls, does not need a thorough grinding of the base surface, as this interferes with the strong adhesion of the material to the base.
The material is divided into three types: cellulose, silk, cellulose-silk wallpaper. Of these, the textile varieties with silk fibers are the best finishing..
Liquid wallpaper is applied in several ways:
- by means of a spray gun;
- using a construction roller;
- by hand with a spatula section by section.
Application methods depend on the type of wall decoration. They affect the degree of material consumption, which, with conventional cladding, takes 1 kg per 3 – 4 square meters. m. working surface. Consumption also depends on the method of preparation of the material, which in the case of a powder is soaked in warm water and allowed to brew for about 12 hours. Wet wallpaper does not need to be diluted, their consumption is higher.
The advantages of the material include the uniqueness of the appearance, excellent sound insulation of the walls, the originality of the drawings, the possibility of using it on the ceiling. Liquid wallpaper allows adjusting the cladding until it is dry. In addition, the material allows the dismantling of a problem area that has become contaminated during operation. The disadvantage is the need to cover the finished cladding with a special acrylic varnish, otherwise the wallpaper is unstable to mechanical damage and moisture. It is important to maintain the same layer thickness when applying, otherwise the relief may lose the sense of solidity.
Photo printing is one of the universal techniques for decorating the walls of a living room. Photowall-paper is a cladding with a full-fledged pattern of various subjects. More often it is a specific composition, which can be made in the form of a single piece or composite canvases of different sizes..
The size of the photo wallpaper can be from 1 m or more, up to the area of a whole wall.
In fact, wall murals are space zoning tool. They are glued exclusively as wall decoration, so this cladding needs additional wallpaper to smooth out the contrasting pattern. Wall murals are often capricious in pasting, especially if the material is thin. When glued to a vertical surface, they can tear, so the pasting should be as delicate as possible.
Acrylic wallpaper is analogous to vinyl foam wall coverings. The difference is the application of a layer of acrylic spraying on a paper or non-woven substrate, by means of which the texture relief is created. The method of applying acrylic is point-like: this allows the material to be breathable and makes it appropriate for the wall cladding of the hall. These wallpapers are cheaper and thinner than vinyl counterparts, differ good moisture resistance and wear resistance to mechanical damage, not limited in decorative characteristics, provide for surface cleaning using wet sponges without the use of abrasive substances.
The texture of acrylic wallpaper often resembles broad brush strokes or raised points. In cladding, the material is somewhat more complicated than vinyl wallpaper, although they are also glued end-to-end. After applying wallpaper glue to the back surface, allow the glue to soak into the wallpaper, after which the wallpaper must be glued to the wall.
With a lot of advantages, the material is not suitable for cladding rooms with high humidity.
This category includes canvases from a series of paper varieties – duplex, raufaser, fiberglass, anaglipta. The uniqueness of such wallpapers lies in the fact that you do not need to adjust the pattern to cover them.. Material consumption is economical, the seams are almost invisible. Painting is carried out with a roller using acrylic, latex or water-based paints. The entire line of wallpaper for painting well masks the unevenness of the walls due to the embossed texture. Such wallpapers are multi-layered canvases. Each layer of any material is impregnated with a special substance.
Among paper varieties, coarse-fiber wallpaper with a relief surface created by placing wood chips between two layers of paper is especially popular..
Such materials are easy to work with, they adhere well to the surface of walls and ceilings, leveled with a rubber roller. Non-woven varieties for painting are glued no worse than paper counterparts. In this case, there is no need to glue the wallpaper itself: it is enough to glue the surface of the wall to be treated with glue. However, the cladding must be neat so as not to accidentally remove vinyl dust from the front surface..
Today, wallpaper with a sticky backing has found wide application in the decoration of certain vertical planes of the living room. It is not just a self-adhesive for renovation of furniture: a modern approach to unusual cladding allows easily beat the features of premises with a broken perspective. Due to the variety of structures, they perfectly decorate ledges, niches, restore or simply update the living room wall panels, as they provide for a different type of acceptable wall base.
Self-adhesive wallpaper is a multi-layer material, in which, in addition to the base and adhesive, there is anti-adhesion and protection.
This finish coat is flexible, durable, resistant to water and moisture, not affected by alkaline solutions, retains the brightness of the original shades for a long time. Having different widths, the wallpaper is a tool for uniting furnishings into an integral ensemble by pasting small facades in one design with an accent wall.
They harmless to human health, they perfectly combine with laminated or plastic panels, replace painting and do not need drying after pasting. The disadvantage of cladding is the demonstration of the flaws of an unprepared wall surface: pits and bumps will be visible on it. In addition, the cladding process does not provide for re-gluing the wallpaper: the incorrectly glued material is removed from the surface and replaced with a new one..
The texture of wallpaper is one of the significant characteristics of wall coverings, through which you can convey status, hint at the special taste of the owners of the house, demonstrate the ability to create a stylish and fashionable design. It is the type of surface that determines the degree of comfort and premium quality of the interior. It can resemble the structure of paper, be rough, rough, or have a pleasant tactile sensation.. The most popular wallpapers are:
- deliberately rude;
Some of the most popular design techniques are materials with a plush, velor surface, a canvas structure..
Woven surfaces attract attention, they draw out any interior, regardless of how the walls are decorated, whether it is zoning or pasting of all vertical planes.
The palette of wallpaper colors for decorating the hall is multifaceted. Today, each color is presented in a variety of tones, through which you can convey the desired atmosphere effect. Often up to 5 shades of the same color can be used in one pattern for the effect of depth and volume.. Conventionally, the color palette of wallpaper for the hall is divided into several categories:
- neutral (white, gray, silver, black);
- natural (shades of beige and brown, including chocolate, coffee, sand, mustard, a shade of cocoa with milk and an admixture of pinkish tones);
- pastel (light and delicate, diluted shades of pink, blue, mint, peach, cream, nude, lilac);
- combined (a mixture of two shades in a soft bleached tone, for example, pinkish gray, silver blue, chocolate golden, peach orange, coral pink, smoky blue);
- bright (burgundy, turquoise, brick, green, mint tones).
In addition, paints are divided into:
- refreshing cool;
A distinctive feature of the shade temperature is the ability to fill a special room of an apartment with the warmth of a home (warm sunny shades) or freshness (mint, sea colors).
It is unacceptable to glue dark tones into the hall: they are able to bring negative into the space of the room, make it visually smaller and conceal the degree of lighting in the room. In addition, there are shades that have a bad effect on the psyche of a certain age. For example, it is unacceptable to glue purple-blue and black wallpaper on the walls of the living room if elderly households are often in it.. These tones provoke lethargy, which can lead to depression over time..
This season, the emphasis is on the nobility of the shade. The main background and colors can be any. Most importantly, contrasts should not be flashy. Since design techniques for cladding are popular today, one shade of wallpaper will not be enough. Even if you choose a material with an emphasis on the uniqueness of the texture, you cannot do without a small accent.
Stylists emphasize: a combination of contrasting tones is what is needed for a harmonious and fashionable lining of the hall.
Popular combinations today are layouts:
- sand beige with turquoise;
- coffee with brown and beige;
- orange with gray;
- milk with white;
- chocolate with beige and olive;
- silvery, gray with white;
- beige with blue and light brown;
- mustard with brown and white;
- white with beige and golden;
- woody with gray and beige;
- gray with brick and white;
- white with gray;
- shades of cocoa with milk, beige and blue.
Much attention is paid to modern finishing of roll coatings. That is why the drawings on the wallpaper today differ markedly from their counterparts of the Soviet era. Modern patterns are able to convey the desired atmosphere, be an integral part of a fashionable interior composition or its bright accent, through which you can zone the space.
Each successful brand strives to offer customers a wide range of patterns, among which the most popular are:
- blooming sakura on trees and branches;
- lace motifs with curls and leaves;
- monogram monograms, which are stylized rhombus-shaped flowers framed by wicker lianas-leaves;
- flower sketches in the form of artistic painting, abstraction, stylization;
- all kinds of tree branches and single leaves;
- geometric shapes penetrating the canvases in the form of silk-screen mesh.
Stripes, waves, zigzags fade into the background, yielding priority to floral patterns. However, they are a good design technique if they are embossed: during the day they are not so visible, but in the evening the wallpaper shines, revealing the beauty of the pattern through a silk print. Looks like this wallpaper stylish and expensive, made in gentle tones of the color palette, they will decorate any room.
An interesting design technique is the use of large drawings in the wall cladding of the hall. These can be single flowers, realistic canvases of art painting, large portrait paintings or abstraction. This technique is relevant exclusively in spacious rooms as an accentuation of a small section of the wall, otherwise it is able to give the living room a feeling of disinformation of the square, hinting at the insignificance of human capabilities.
A separate topic is the imitation of rough building materials. Today, this finish is at the peak of its popularity.. The most original prints of this kind are surface imitation under:
- ceramic tiles;
- a natural stone;
- rough plaster.
The construction market offers a wide range of wallpapers of different brands. In the conditions of fierce competition, companies attract the attention of the buyer with collections with extraordinary colors, samples with a special texture and uniqueness of tones, which allows you to decorate the walls of the living room with beautiful materials, creating a cozy atmosphere. Among the successful companies, one can note the products of Italian, European brands, manufacturers of Ukraine and the Russian Federation.. High-quality and stylish wallpapers with a wide assortment are produced by brands:
- “Slavic wallpaper”;
- Marburg Wallcoverings;
- “Saratov Wallpaper”;
With a thorough choice in any of these brands, there are coatings that allow you to decorate the walls of the living room fashionably and tastefully.
Combination: pros and cons
The uniqueness of the wallpaper lies in the possibility of combining with each other and with other materials. If the material is selected correctly, such a design technique allows you to bring individuality into the space of the hall. The combination of wallpaper is a wall cladding with an accent zone, which more often means the use of plain wallpaper and a companion with a pattern in the decoration. In this case, the print can be made in different ways:
- photo printing;
The technique is used in several cases when it is important:
- divert attention from the problem area of the room;
- add organization to the space;
- soften the colorful and bright wallpaper pattern;
- rid the room of the abundance of darkness;
- reduce the consumption of material for fitting the picture;
- to put together pieces of furniture scattered in style;
- give the space a special status;
- save the room from routine and boredom;
- demonstrate the idea of stylistics.
Combining walls with wallpaper is a great way to show imagination, unleash your creativity..
However, the method is not always effective, therefore it has several disadvantages.. With a clumsy design approach, he:
- it is far from always expressive, since it requires taking into account all factors up to the arrangement of furniture and the installation of lighting devices;
- rarely successful in small-sized rooms, since it is limited in capabilities;
- depends on the selected material, which is often not combined with each other in terms of texture type, shade, premium quality;
- does not always relieve the layout of a room with a broken perspective from design flaws, sometimes distorting the walls;
- is able to visually reduce the height of the ceiling and shatter the walls into separate parts, depriving the surface of solidity.
Sometimes the problem lies in the material itself. Not always, when choosing a material, the buyer looks at the finish from afar. Close up, a small strip, polka dots, a cage and a matting look beautiful. But if you look at them, moving away from the canvas at least two meters, the picture will be different. In just a few seconds, there will be ripples in the eyes, so such a cladding is capable of violating the rule of harmony.
How to avoid mistakes?
In order to prevent mistakes that can spoil the basis of the style when facing the walls of the hall, it is worth taking note of a few rules.
- inspect the area of space: if it is small, large prints and bright colors are acceptable in it (this way you exclude the possibility of creating an oppressive atmosphere);
- when buying paired wallpaper, choose the material at the same time: it is easier to choose identical tones in two types of cladding;
- try to make a purchase during the day in natural light: you will be able to see the real shades of the wallpaper (buying in the afternoon is more absent-minded, so it is more difficult to choose exactly what you need);
- pay attention to the compatibility of the material by texture: exclude the combination of gloss and matte surface, this simplifies the premium combination and makes the cladding scattered;
- think carefully about the color and intensity of the pattern, correlating them with the degree of illumination of the hall and its size: exclude flashy colors and crushing patterns from the list: they will start to irritate quickly enough;
- keep an eye on the width of the material: often trade marks are sold by partner wallpaper: this way you can save on the purchase of material and trimming;
- pay attention to this nuance: wallpaper for combination is not taken equally, finishes with a pattern need less;
- when facing walls with wallpaper with different patterns of two types, select colors so that they do not compete with each other: one companion should soften the other.
Canvases are not always easy to work with. This is partly due to with non-observance of pasting technology:
- the walls are prepared for gluing in any case, this is a mandatory stage of work, which includes grinding the surface, covering cracks, pits, getting rid of the bumps from the plane and applying a primer in one layer, followed by drying;
- thin wallpaper, after applying glue to the back side, should be slightly saturated with the composition: leave them for 10 – 15 minutes, during this time you can apply glue to the wall itself (softened wallpaper will not form bubbles after pressing the material with a special roller);
- each material has its own glue, if it seems to you that it will not cope with fixing specific textured wallpapers, use the proven Moment Extra wallpaper glue for textured and textile wallpapers with a reinforced formula, methylcellulose and antibacterial additives;
- pay attention, the wallpaper is glued after the ceiling, this excludes damage to the lining in the process of decorating the ceiling, and there is no need to tear off the ceiling plinth, if there is one: the upper edge is wound inside the line of the plinth, or cut off with a clerical knife at the very border of the joint.
- if a style with an imitation of rough surfaces (for example, masonry under a decorative stone, brick) is chosen as a basis, please note: the finish can only be on a few ledges (if any) or on one wall, busting is unacceptable, it looks ugly, depriving the interior of individuality and feeling style;
- never try to combine different styles in the hall by performing a zoning technique: it is impossible to combine the incongruous, this is devoid of taste and will destroy any design idea;
- you should not decorate the room with wallpaper in the tone of most of the existing interior items: this way it will become faceless, it is better to show the uniqueness of the situation by means of a contrasting tone (if the furniture is dark, the wallpaper should be light, with white furniture, pastel shades are preferable);
- try not to use partner wallpaper in combination with white and black tones in the interior of the hall: they put pressure on the psyche, if there is a lot of black tone, they deprive the aesthetic perception of joy, hinting at depression and doom;
- do not ignore the principle of four shades in drawing up an interior, focusing on furniture: if the shades of style are not enough, you need wallpaper with a contrasting pattern; with an abundance of tones of the color palette, plain wall coverings are appropriate;
- using the technique of decorating walls with wallpaper, do not lose sight of the lighting: it is it that can give the wallpaper the desired look or spoil the aesthetic perception.
In addition, please note: no matter how beautiful the design of the approximate design of the living room walls chosen from the photo catalog is, it must correspond to the specific habits and preferences of household members. Otherwise, you won’t be able to feel cozy and comfortable..
If a specific sketch or photo is taken as a basis, correct it in such a way that everyone would like the color, texture, drawing. Since the living room is a place with high traffic, think over the cladding of the surfaces most susceptible to dirt. Take care of the practicality of the wallpaper, which can be done using washable varieties.
Combination and design options
Decorating the interior of the hall in modern ways includes several interesting techniques. The design approach is based on the principle of arranging wallpaper with each other and other facing materials, using color, texture and using print elements. The hall is exactly the place where all of them can be applied, regardless of the used wallpaper material. A distinctive feature of the layout is moderation of the use of accents, which mean wallpaper with a pattern.
One of the complex techniques, which involves combining wallpaper by gluing canvases parallel to the floor. This is not a simple alternation of stripes of the same width: it is important to correctly raise the height of the walls by combining two wallpapers with a smooth transition of the pattern, or using the texture of the material with mild embossed stripes.
Combination of small or catchy stripes is unacceptable, playing with insufficient height should be invisible.
This technique of decorating the space of the hall involves the use of paired wallpaper: sometimes the layout is carried out by pasting three walls with plain wallpaper, with the emphasis on the fourth wall. In order for the finish to look monolithic, one of the shades on the wallpaper of the two types must be identical. In addition, the background is important: the most harmonious option is with the same base of two types of wallpaper. In other cases, the wallpaper is glued with an alternation technique. For example, placing two stripes at the corners of one wall.
A more popular hall zoning technique is the option using a small accent. At the same time, wallpaper with a print is placed in a certain place, which is not covered by furniture.. The size of the accent is carefully considered: it can be located in the center of the wall, accentuate a certain angle, protrusion, highlight the multilevel plane. Often, wallpaper with a print resembles paintings if the accent is framed with a special frame using molding, baguette or ceiling plinth.
Through this technique, you can visually change the space, pushing the walls and giving the room a large area..
This technique involves accentuating one of the walls of the hall in the spirit of a patchwork. To do this, they acquire bright and contrasting canvases with a pattern, the shades of which overlap with each other. Having cut the wallpaper into small squares or rectangles, they are glued to the wall, filling in the accent, or pasting the entire wall according to the principle of classic or diagonal tiled masonry. The remaining planes are decorated with plain wallpaper to soften the catchy design..
This technique implies accentuation of one of the walls of the hall in the spirit of patchwork. To do this, they acquire bright and contrasting canvases with a pattern, the shades of which overlap with each other. Having cut the wallpaper into small squares or rectangles, they are glued to the wall, filling the accent space, or pasting the entire wall according to the principle of classic or diagonal tiled masonry. The remaining planes are decorated with plain wallpaper to soften the catchy design..
Highlighting design features
The hall, which has a broken perspective, can be played up with a design technique of deliberate emphasis on shortcomings. In this case, it is possible to combine two combination techniques. For example, you can paste over a plane with a protrusion using the horizontal technique of gluing wallpaper with an imitation of a wooden board, highlighting the protrusion with wallpaper-picture in approximately the same color scheme and equally rough style. If there are two protrusions, you can use the symmetry technique by choosing a pattern for the protrusions so that from both sides it looks towards the middle, where the contrasting companion of the wallpaper will be located.
With other materials
One of the most interesting techniques for combining wallpaper is the principle of combining them with plastic or laminated lamellas, brick or stone walls. In this case, pasting depends on the design features of building materials:
- if the panels are located at the bottom, the wallpaper is placed vertically from the ceiling to the level of the ledge;
- when the panels are located on the ledges, wallpapering of the walls of the hall is carried out between them along the entire height;
- if the wall has several levels, the wallpaper will highlight one of them.
When combining, it is important to rely on the material of the panels: if it does not have a texture, it is monochromatic, the wallpaper should be chosen with a variegated print (there will not be much of it). Having panels for brick or masonry, it is better to supplement them with monochromatic coatings. So that the level of materials at the joints is not different, it is worth using a baguette or molding. When you need to make a panel on a relief surface, you should use plywood or fiberboard, pasting over a fragment and framing it into a frame.
Liquid wallpaper design
The uniqueness of this material allows you to make different patterns on a velvety surface that are resistant to sunlight. In this case, you can use different additives, supplementing them with the wallpaper mass. Among the most popular companions of the mixture, mother-of-pearl, marble chips, mica shine, colored flock, glitter are especially in demand.. This technique is carried out in three ways:
- after the finished cladding has dried by means of dyes;
- using stencils;
- manually adjusting each fragment of the pattern.
The difference between the techniques is obvious: creating a pattern in the first case is a classic drawing technique, when they paint on a white canvas with special paints, giving expressiveness to the lines with the help of special felt-tip pens. At the same time, they try to fill the volumetric surface evenly, although this is far from so simple and requires a considerable amount of time to completely paint over each area.
The templates used to decorate the walls of the hall can be bought ready-made, or made yourself using thick cardboard.
They are conventionally divided into several types:
- monochromatic – templates for decorating a wall with a pigment of the same color;
- separate composite – stencils for phased drawing with wallpaper (for example, individual leaves, flowers, curls) by overlapping one layer with another;
- volumetric – templates, the use of which implies the presence of a putty with a pattern highlighted above the general level of the cladding by 2 – 4 mm;
- anti-stencils – backlight effect templates, which are shapes for painting the wall outside of the stencils (for the background).
Today, the actual prints of this decoration, which are appropriate in the decoration of the walls of the hall, are:
- solitary trees with delicate greenery;
- fluttering butterflies;
- simple geometric shapes;
- large flowers and leaves for stylization;
- bunches of grapes;
- a variety of curls connecting two contrasting tones.
The third method of decorating with liquid wallpaper is nothing more than filling in each fragment of the pattern previously applied to the wall. Reception is carried out with a spatula while simultaneously trimming the edges of the contrasting area, and it is unacceptable to fill in the nearby areas of the pattern, since in this case the pattern may shift and it is difficult to achieve expressive contours.
For information on how to properly apply liquid wallpaper on the wall, see the next video.
Design in different styles
Today there is no style that cannot be supported by wallpaper. This cladding allows you to decorate the interior of the hall in classic, ethnic and modern design styles. The choice of wallpaper will be determined by the classic characteristics of the wallpaper: pattern, color, texture. Consider a few relevant modern ideas.
Style implies the use of new technological materials in the decoration. Liquid wallpaper is appropriate here in combination with laminated coverings, 3D panels with a relief, leather trim. Vivid contrast is indispensable: the color of the walls should be different, highlighting any design features of the room through color or artificial lighting is encouraged. Shades of pastel colors are excluded: style dictates brightness and creativity, however, it cannot be considered complete without semantic accents and stylization.
The palace style, which became fashionable under Napoleon, should personify victory and triumph. It cannot contain paper wallpaper: expensive, including textile wall decoration, art painting, techniques for combining wallpaper according to the panel principle, are welcome. Decor is of particular importance: canvases should be pompous, always with gilding, silver or a shade of bronze. Wallpaper with silk-screen printing, textured materials in bright colors (burgundy, wine, blue, bronze shades, a combination of white and gold) will ideally fit into the style.
Bohemianism, formed in the era of industrialization, has its own differences. The style welcomes bright colors, a combination of abstraction with geometric ornaments, the use of modern materials, playing with backlighting. Coverings can have a gloss or polish (important for liquid wallpaper).
Popular colors are all kinds of zigzags and stripes, favorites of the shades are tones of gray, brown, cream and metallic sheen. Wallpaper with geometric embossing (silk-screen printing) is appropriate here, it is obligatory to have three or more tones in the wallpaper print and to combine canvases with tiles.
Of the design techniques, the style is characterized by a combination in the style of a panel (framing accents in contours and frames).
This style is notable for its practicality, some simplicity, a minimum of decorative elements. Wallpaper is selected so as to zone the space, giving it an unobtrusive organization, highlighting each area with a special degree of illumination. Neutral shades combined with bright tones are welcome (for example, beige with green, gray with wine). The colors of the style are based on geometric shapes, the walls are also pasted over with monochromatic canvases, the color palette of which is yellow, wine, moderate gray and less often brown, green, blue shades.
The once eccentric street style of fashion today is one of the most popular design directions for creative personalities who value comfort and condemn monotony and boredom. There are no restrictions in it: wallpapers can be any: budget, expensive. The main thing is that they should be bright, with a slight shade of vintage.. The decor of the walls of the hall in the reception of the patchwork technique is welcomed: this is exactly what you need to accentuate boho.
Ideal colors are national prints in rich shades of the color palette. In classic boho, the emphasis is on ethnic ornaments and a combination of restraint with bright accents. In the environmental direction only paper canvases or textiles based on linen, cotton fibers are permissible.
One of the extraordinary directions, which is an imitation of the situation of the past, makes it possible for everyone to choose for themselves any time in history. Materials abounding in glitter are excluded here, you can use discreet plain wallpaper or varieties for painting. You should not decorate the walls of the hall with canvases with a variegated pattern: style implies an abundance of furnishing accessories, so the excesses of a print are unacceptable.
In fact, vintage is reminiscent of classicism, in which notes of retro and Provence are added, however, it is tied to a specific era. In addition to monochromatic canvases, a print in the form of a strip, a simple floral pattern, a texture for decorative plaster is allowed.
If the furnishings abound in light colors, the wallpaper should be bright.
A kind of unity of prosperity and laconicism is permissible in a spacious room, bathed in the sun. In such a living room, wallpaper with imitation of brickwork or natural board is appropriate. Texture of plain or colored wallpaper should be natural, deliberately rough, imitating careless grinding, simplicity and nakedness of the walls. At the same time, they can be decorated with photo wallpaper, creating the appearance of a bright picture. Shades of the color palette of the style are predominantly calm, natural, warm. When gluing textile wallpaper made of flax, wool or cotton fibers, it is worth considering: they are glued over a certain area.
The interior style, which originated in Europe in the middle of the 18th century, is based on strict geometry, symmetry, and the unity of each design element. He is characterized by harmony, a mix of good taste and respectability.. Cheap wallpaper is out of place here: you need natural, textile, non-woven varieties with a natural base, liquid wallpaper with imitation of marble chips, decorative plaster.
The colors of the cladding should be calm, made mainly in shades of beige, milky, olive and brown. The coverings can be monochromatic, contrasting, with prints in the form of vertical stripes, monograms, geometric shapes that permeate the entire surface of the material, imitation of tiled masonry.
One of the most popular styles of hall decoration, implying finishing the premises with giving it a premium status. In a hall without internal partitions, which has a high ceiling, it is necessary to use wallpaper zoning, clearly delimiting the space into certain functional zones. The main emphasis is on the roughness of the texture of the wallpaper.: they can mimic brick or masonry with a worn look, reminiscent of the look of an abandoned industrial facility.
It is preferable to choose the color of the accent wall wallpaper brick, grayish brown, gray, dark brown. As an accent, you can use a panel with imitation of graffiti or light abstraction..
Often, walls and wallpapers do not need a decor reception: an accent is created with the help of a picture attached to the wall on the floor or on a stand.
The idea of a rustic French style is a combination of grace and rustic simplicity. Favorite shades of wallpaper are delicate cream, milk, caramel, honey, corn tones, as well as pale blue, lilac, light pink, bleached olive and pale green. Fits perfectly into the style canvases for painting with imitation of an uneven surface, cracks and cobwebs.
Discreet beige wallpaper for masonry or brick, varieties with a floral print, a plaster texture are appropriate here. A cladding with a pattern that stands out against a light background in a similar color three tones brighter is preferable.
Which to choose?
To make the hall look stylish, beautiful and fashionable, it is worth starting from financial capabilities, the health of the household and the choice available in a particular store. By far the best wallpaper is sustainable. Please note: good wallpapers do not smell sour. The choice should take into account the nuances of your living room: it is worth relying on stylish modern ideas that expand the space to make the room seem larger.
You can buy wallpaper with a 3D effect that changes the visual perception of space if there is a lot of space in the room, there are few accessories, and the drawing itself does not make your eyes strain. Otherwise, after a couple of days, the print will irritate the retina and optic nerve. If there are small children in the house, such a technique is undesirable, moreover, it is difficult to choose a color without having experience in buying such a cladding material..
For a small living room, wallpaper with a medium-sized pattern is better. It is good if the drawing is not clearly pronounced: streaks, waves, silk-screen printing are the best techniques for decorating a small space. This can also be done by means of texture: often it is she who will give a better effect than voluminous flowers or a national ornament..
Do not overload the walls of the hall with wallpaper with a grid pattern: such a pattern does not set up a welcoming atmosphere. It cannot be located on all walls..
When buying, pay attention to the batch of material: all rolls or packages must have an identical number to avoid different shades of wallpaper. It will not be superfluous to ask for a certificate of quality and compliance with safety standards, it will allow you to find out the conditions for caring for wallpaper and their approximate service life.
With regard to the material of the wallpaper, pay attention to non-woven, textile, liquid varieties and fiberglass. Make the choice in favor of those that are suitable for the degree of abrasion and practicality. If necessary, combine materials with each other. This will make the interior unique. The design technique allows the arrangement of liquid wallpaper and non-woven wallpaper, if separated from one another by moldings, a curb or ceiling plinth.
If you plan to zoning the guest area, take a look at the combination of natural wood tones and white coating for painting: this way you can make the accent more pronounced, if necessary, update the space of the white walls in different tones of beige, blue or cream. Don’t choose exclusively feminine or masculine tones.: not all household members will be comfortable in such a room. Leave rich pinks and blues for the bedroom if possible..
Beautiful examples in the interior
In order for the living room wall cladding to be flawless, it is worth taking a closer look at the ideas of professional designers, using the basis from the photo catalog, adjusting it for the available square meters and lighting:
- you can decorate the walls of the living room with wallpaper imitating parquet in gray-brown tones, laid in zigzags: for a harmonious look, it is enough to paste over two walls next to a wide window, complement the furnishings with white and purple furniture, bleached flooring, a rug with an ornament to match the bright sofa and lively greens;
- you can create a cozy atmosphere of a room with a large window by means of paired marble wallpaper in turquoise-gray tones and a similar color companion with a 3D effect: so that the interior does not seem dark, you should add a picture with a white background and turquoise sakura, white tulle curtains, light furniture, white floor lamp and table with mirrored top;
- You can accentuate the living room wall by combining plain light wallpaper and contrast in gray tones with a pattern of sakura branches and birds of paradise, placing a color pattern on both sides of the doorway of one wall (to add cheerfulness to the atmosphere, you need to add furniture in brown and sand tones, carpet with ornaments and multi-colored decorative pillows in turquoise, white, pale pink shades);
- strict wallpaper with a geometric pattern in neutral tones looks great in the modern interior of the living room: they stand out favorably against the background of the monochromatic decoration of the room, give it coziness, eliminating unnecessary brevity of furnishings, complemented by a shelf with figurines and an unusual picture;
- horizontal pasting looks great due to the unusual texture and dim striped pattern: delicate beige wallpaper can visually increase the height of the walls, decorating all the walls of the living room and complemented by furniture in brown and mustard colors, monochrome contrasting armchairs and an unusual picture, white curtains and black strokes in the form floor lamps, furniture supports;
- the interior of the hall can be given an eco-style by using wallpaper under a wooden board, gluing them horizontally, highlighting an accent wall: they will look appropriate with furniture of neutral shades if, as a support, a table with an imitation of the texture of natural stone is placed in the center of the room;
- if you need to highlight the guest area on the wall with a ledge, you should paste over all the others with light plain wallpaper, and decorate the accent place with a wall covering in gray-turquoise tones with an abstract pattern that stands out against the background of white modular furniture and a laconic coffee table;
- in order to stylishly decorate a room in the spirit of Provence or country, you should choose a vertical striped beige wallpaper for cladding, two or three shades darker than the main background, pasting all the walls with them: with the support of semi-antique light furniture, white decorative saucers and textile pillows in bright contrasts, brown carpeting, they will unobtrusively hint at the special taste of the owners of the home;
- if monochrome paints are chosen as the basis for the hall’s stylistics and rich gray wallpapers with a dark large print, accentuating the TV and the acoustics system, are purchased, in addition to white and light gray shades, it is important to add color contrast, diluting the design limitations with decorative pillows and a long-piled carpet in sand or beige tones;
- vintage style will help to create paired wallpaper in trendy turquoise tones: one wall can be decorated with canvases with a pattern on a white background, at the same time beat the fireplace area with a monochromatic companion in a rich tone by hanging small white shelves on this plane, adding furniture with light textile upholstery to the decor and supporting the wallpaper in shades to match;
- if the area of the room is small, has a wall with a fireplace in the form of a ledge, it is worth sticking light wallpaper with a pattern on the far edge on both sides of the ledge, place furniture in brown and beige tones near the guest area, hang a clock over the fireplace.