Brick is considered one of the traditional finishing materials. It is characterized by environmental friendliness, strength, durability, solid appearance. However, brick has always been distinguished by a high price, so not everyone can afford such a finish. Brick-like decorative panels are one of the great alternatives. Read about the pros and cons of such cladding in this article..
Polyvinyl chloride is a popular material used today in many industries, including the construction industry. PVC panels with imitation brickwork have gained wide popularity and numerous positive consumer reviews. Firstly, this is due to the excellent aesthetic qualities of the material. Secondly, such panels are incredibly functional and practical..
Many have already got used to the plastic cladding of the interior.. This trend has appeared relatively recently, but building materials of this type are already recognized as some of the best on the market. PVC panels are ideal for those who want to create a beautiful interior, but at the same time have a limited budget.
PVC panels are made with the addition of special softening components using molds, which allows you to exactly repeat the texture of the brick and give the product a natural volume. After that, they must be painted or pasted over with a special film with imitation of brick colors..
The following types of material are on sale:
Vinyl panels are considered affordable and easy to use.. They are safe, resistant to damage, and are not susceptible to flaking and flaking. Cheap varieties of material have a uniform, smooth surface. More expensive options have a very interesting “brick” texture.
PVC panels have excellent performance properties, sufficient strength and long-term use. Unlike real bricks, such panels delight with an abundance of shades. If you wish, you can choose a material in natural colors, but contrasting colors look no less beautiful in the interior..
It is worth noting that most manufacturers of PVC panels carefully work out the relief so that it is as similar as possible to the varieties of bricks that exist today..
Today on sale you can find a variety of options for imitating brickwork. These are products of natural light and dark tones, the image of aged materials, fashionable white and black “bricks” and much more. A variety of colors allows you to choose an option that fits perfectly into any interior.
Polyvinyl chloride – a modern unique material, resistant to humid and aggressive environments, so such panels can be used even for cladding bathrooms, hallways and kitchens. They are also sometimes used as a material for facade decoration. There are one- and two-layer (based on expanded polystyrene) products.
Brick-like panels are sometimes used to hide wall defects. In this case, installation is carried out using frame technology, when, before the direct laying of the “brick”, a crate is installed or the wall is sheathed with plywood. This allows the skin to be slightly hardened, since polyvinyl chloride is a fairly soft material that is easily deformable..
Usually the panels are installed with glue. At the same time, the presence of small irregularities on the wall is not an obstacle for high-quality laying of the material. When cladding, slight deviations are allowed, and the curvature, on the contrary, can give the cladding a natural look.
Thus, the scope of the panels includes:
- cladding of interior walls of residential and public buildings;
- decorative finishing of interiors;
- finishing of terraces, loggias, balconies;
- facade decoration (in some cases).
Although these materials are in an affordable price category, some of them are expensive..
Several factors influence price formation..
- Manufacturer brand. The price of products of well-known brands can be overpriced due to the popularity of the company.
- Specifications. Thicker and thicker items are slightly more expensive..
- Design. The cost can be influenced by the color, the complexity of the drawing, the quality of the paints used..
Advantages and disadvantages
PVC panels are a unique finishing material that can be used both for wall cladding and for decorating podiums, columns, walls. For several years they have been included in the lists of sales leaders, and all because they have an impressive list of advantages..
There are seven reasons why you should pay attention to PVC decorative panels..
- Durability. Manufacturers have managed to achieve a long product life. Modern options are able to maintain their performance for up to 15 years..
- Decorative functions. In addition to impeccable imitation of the texture of natural material, the panels are able to hide well the irregularities and defects of the walls, as well as elements of communication systems.
- Ease of installation. The panels are easily cut with an ordinary office knife, which allows you to customize the products to the desired size. In addition, they are lightweight, so they are suitable for cladding weak structures..
- Practicality. Products are unpretentious in care, resistant to most external negative factors (such as humidity, mold, dirt, dust, fungus).
- Design. The realistic texture and wide color palette allow the panels to be used in the interiors of residential buildings, apartments, offices, cafes, hotels. They are in perfect harmony with other finishing materials and do not need finishing painting..
- PVC panels do not visually weigh down and do not reduce space.
- Maintainability. If necessary, you can easily replace an unusable cladding element without dismantling the entire leaf.
Like any other material, PVC panels have several disadvantages.. The cladding made by panels has sufficient strength. However, if handled carelessly, the material can easily be scratched or broken. In addition, some types of panels do not tolerate low temperatures. That is why it is not recommended to use them as facade cladding, although it is allowed to lay products in unheated buildings..
Among the shortcomings, one can also note low resistance to fire: PVC bricks do not ignite, but under the influence of high temperature they quickly deform. Therefore, they are not used for decorating fireplaces and stoves..
PVC boards are easy to install, but if you want to create the perfect decorative wall, do not forget about the key rules of the technological process..
Before proceeding with the installation of panels, preparatory work should be carried out:
- the walls are cleaned of traces of previous finishing;
- remove all pollution;
- close up cracks and repair damaged areas;
- if the surface is severely deformed, it must be leveled.
There are two ways to mount these products:
- fixing to the lathing.
In the first case, high-quality adhesives designed to work with PVC are used. When choosing an adhesive, it is worth considering its purpose, composition and thickness of the slabs..
It is customary to use glue when laying on flat surfaces. The lathing is installed in cases where the walls are too deformed, and there is no way to align them. There is also a second reason – the presence of the lathing makes the cladding more durable and protects it from the appearance of dents and deflections..
Experienced experts recommend using liquid nails as an adhesive. For example, neoprene nails provide excellent adhesion to the base. In this case, gluing occurs instantly..
How to glue?
As already mentioned, first you should prepare the wall, clean it of unnecessary parts, old whitewash or cladding, get rid of dust and grease..
The first stage of work is a primer, necessary to protect the surface from mold and moisture. It also contributes to better adhesion to the base. Complete drying of the primer occurs within 6-12 hours.
It is worth noting that the process of pasting with panels seems easy only at first glance. In fact, this requires special dexterity and accuracy..
You will need:
- construction gun;
- mineral solvent to remove excess glue (water can be used);
It is better to work with liquid nails with a construction gun. To do this, cut off the tip from the package and screw on the cap after cutting it off. Insert it into the socket of the construction gun.
Apply liquid nails to the wall in a zigzag or grid pattern. If the panels are small, spot application will be sufficient. Then the product should be pressed against the wall, for greater effect, you can gently “walk” from above with a roller (without pressing). If the panel has moved out, then you can correct its location within 2-3 minutes. Complete drying of the glue occurs after a day, and it will have time to “grab” within 15 minutes.
After cladding the entire wall, it is recommended to seal the joints between the panels and the ceiling with a sealant. If the panels were installed by gluing to assembly glue, then the final stage is the jointing with special compounds that can be bought at any hardware store.
Installation of PVC products should start from corner to center.. If the panels need to be adjusted to a certain size, this can be done using an ordinary knife or jigsaw..
During installation, the adhesive solution is applied not to the material itself, but to the wall. You can check the correctness of vertical and horizontal fixation using a building level.
Decorative PVC wall panels look very beautiful, however, the service life of such cladding largely depends on the accuracy of operation..
Due to the nature of the material, care must be taken carefully and carefully..
- It is recommended to remove dust and dirt with a soft cloth moistened with soapy water.
- Do not use powder, aggressive alkaline or acidic cleaners. They can damage the top decorative layer of the panels, leave scratches on them..
See below for more details.