Today the construction market offers the widest range of materials for ceiling cladding. Suspended structures are the most popular among consumers, and among them, the palm, of course, belongs to ceiling panels..
This material has replaced the familiar and beloved by many drywall: more and more Russians prefer to use stylish and ergonomic plates. They are easy to install, have a long service life, and their external qualities are excellent..
The high demand for panels as a finishing material for the ceiling is due to the exceptional performance properties of these models:
- the ability to create a perfectly even coating without a lot of time and effort;
- installation on a surface with height differences, as well as with small defects, which does not require preliminary alignment;
- ease of fixing all types of luminaires;
- it is easy to hide communications under the panels;
- products are lightweight, they are much lighter than plasterboard ceilings;
- high sound and heat insulation;
- reduction of labor costs: installation of a panel ceiling does not require sanding, filling, priming and other procedures;
- absence of any “wet” production processes; after installation, general cleaning of the premises is not required;
- high hygroscopicity and resistance to mold and mildew;
- convenient to use, they are easily cleaned with standard detergents;
- a wide range of different shapes, sizes and shades allow you to decorate the ceiling in rooms of any type, purpose and style;
- products are non-toxic and environmentally friendly;
- to create panels, only flammable materials are used, they do not ignite and protect the floors from the effects of fire;
- slabs can be repeatedly mounted and dismantled.
However, the panels have a drawback – they are never used for the installation of complex multi-level structures..
The choice of ceiling panels is so great that the eyes of an ordinary consumer are literally dizzy. Let’s dwell on the advantages and disadvantages of certain types of topcoats..
Ceiling panels are conventionally divided into different categories according to a wide variety of features: by the method of fastening, by the shape, by the materials used, by the presence of fasteners, and more..
The search for suitable products should start by choosing the method of fastening the structure – you need to decide whether your structure will be suspended, or you simply glue the plates to the existing base.
There are three types of ceiling tiles by the type of fastener.
- For cassette ceilings – this is a frame made of guides, in the square cells of which the slabs are mounted directly. Traditionally, they have typical parameters of 60×60 cm. Among such models, the most common are Armstrong ceilings, well known to the Russian consumer..
- For slatted ceilings – narrow and elongated slabs equipped with fasteners, thanks to which they are mounted to the frame and to each other.
- With tongue and groove system – they can either be attached to the frame or immediately glued to the ceiling. the assortment list of such options is quite wide. On sale you can find a wide variety of options: both polystyrene square plates and panels from 1 to 3 meters long.
The type of fastening largely determines the choice of certain panels. If the ceiling is low, and you do not plan to lay additional communications, then panels that are glued to the base are suitable for you. And if the ceilings are high, then you can consider the rack and frame structures. The same option should be given preference when installing additional lighting equipment and conducting wiring elements.
The basis for the production of panels is a wide variety of materials, therefore, their choice according to this criterion is also very wide..
Suitable for slatted and cassette coatings, as a rule, they are made of aluminum, however, on sale you can find more budget modifications made of nickel-plated steel or iron galvanized. The thickness of such slabs ranges from 0.3 to 0.7 mm..
Basalt or fiberglass slabs
Optimal for cassette variants, when the panel is simply attached to the rails. And it can also be glued if the base does not have significant irregularities..
Plastic polyurethane panels
They are the undisputed leader in their segment and are used for various types of ceiling structures. They enjoy the trust and demand of Russian consumers. Their advantages are obvious: plastic is a flexible material, accordingly, panels can be given any shape and texture, it can be performed in a wide variety of colors.
Photo printing technology has significantly expanded the horizons of panel design up to the creation of three-dimensional 3D drawings. At the same time, the material is characterized by increased moisture resistance, resistance to temperature fluctuations and direct exposure to sunlight. Plastic does not tarnish over time, does not crack and does not deform throughout its entire service life. And the prices for this material are invariably at the level of the average threshold, so finishing work can be done not only quickly, but also inexpensively..
It is worth mentioning the disadvantage of plastic panels – they are not characterized by special strength, with any mechanical impact, the material easily cracks and breaks.
However, let’s not forget that we are talking about the ceiling, so it is unlikely that something unpleasant can happen to the coating, unless, of course, you plan to play basketball at home or throw darts..
In addition, under the influence of temperatures above 60 degrees, plastic begins to melt and release toxic substances into the air, therefore the scope of the material is limited to the interior decoration of residential premises..
A modern composite material, it can be used for both walls and ceilings, is made from wood-shaving raw materials by pressing with the addition of paraffin, can be covered with a laminate. In recent years, MDF has firmly supplanted the usual fiberboard and chipboard, has become one of the leaders in the market of wall and ceiling panels of the economy segment..
Made of acrylic or silicate glass, used for installation of cassette ceilings.
Expanded polystyrene boards
They are very popular due to their ease of installation – they are simply glued to the surface using special high-strength adhesives.
A familiar and beloved by many material used to create ceilings from two or more levels. It is a lightweight, environmentally friendly substance, characterized by its plasticity and flexibility, which makes it possible to implement almost any design solutions on the surface..
Got a significant distribution in recent years in the wake of the popularity of environmentally friendly housing. Houses made of natural materials are in trend today, and therefore wood is very popular in the construction market. The wood paneling looks pretty stylish, especially the carved bamboo and balsa wood flooring..
Bamboo Panels Originally from Indochina. Purely visually, they represent a mat made of thin pressed bamboo strips. This design is highly durable and hygroscopic, while it is quite plastic and lightweight. Such plates are mounted by the cassette method..
Cork slabs – have an unconventional design, this coating is 100% “for an amateur”, not suitable for every home. The cork perfectly tolerates moisture, is considered a good sound insulator, has a long service life.
Such panels are usually attached directly to the ceiling using glue and, in rare cases, involve the installation of a frame..
Separately, it should be said about the category of unusual panels, which include:
- acoustic – they are distinguished by exceptional noise absorption, they well dampen percussive sounds, therefore, they are optimal in new buildings, where the sounds of repairs are constantly heard, or in houses with small children;
- infrared heating panels – light plates, which have a stylish design and serve as a bright element of decor, and in addition, they can warm up or cool the room.
And also there are heat-insulating panels, as well as plates with heater functions, perforated panels designed to increase space ventilation, sandwich and many others..
Ceiling panels have a wide variety of colors, sizes and textures. They can imitate wood or natural stone, and PVC elements have a matte or glossy surface..
Manufacturers offer a wide selection of sheet and lath products that can either emphasize the typesetting appearance or create the feeling of a perfectly flat, smooth, seamless space..
Depending on the method of applying the decorative coating, the following types of panels are distinguished.
- White with a matte surface – these are the simplest slabs without any finishing, they have the lowest price.
- Shiny models – to obtain a light glossy effect, the slabs are covered with special varnishes, they allow you to implement stylish interior ideas, as well as visually raise the ceilings. Accordingly, their cost is higher.
- Colored slabs – models of yellow, blue, pink and even black shades are obtained in two ways. The first involves transferring a transparent film with a picture to the material, the second – printing directly onto the panel using special technologies.
- Mirrored – made by gluing a special film on the board, due to which the coating acquires a reflective effect. Mirrored ceilings can be found in restaurants, sports clubs and exhibition centers. In residential buildings, such panels are also appropriate if they are mounted in combination with other materials..
Scope of application
Ceiling panels can be used in various rooms depending on the type of panel itself and its manufacturer..
The active component of the products is stone wool, which is processed by a special method – clay is added to the fibers, as well as binders: gypsum, starch or latex, and waste paper is also included in the composition. The panels are distinguished by good sound insulation, exhibit the property of resisting moisture, therefore they are widely used in residential apartments and houses.
These panels belong to the budget options, they are intended for installation in office and retail premises, as well as in places with high traffic, for example, at train stations. The parameters of the panels are 595×595 mm, and the thickness is 12 mm, the coefficient of resistance to moisture is in the range of 70-90%, and the sound insulation indicator is -0.1.
The products of the Danish company are made of mineral fiber covered with fiberglass. The manufacturer offers a wide range of shading solutions and textures. The panels are characterized by hygroscopicity, flammability and exhibit tangible acoustic properties – they are well-suited for installation in the bedroom..
Plates are manufactured in a standard size of 60×60 cm. The indicator of their resistance to moisture is 100%, which means that the product does not deform with constant interaction with water, it is an environment that is unfavorable for the growth of mold and the formation of fungus. This is what determines the scope of use of such modifications – they are installed in rooms with high humidity: in showers and bathrooms, swimming pools.
However, if desired, the panels can also be mounted in living rooms, educational lecture halls, office and shopping complexes and exhibition centers – this is one of the most versatile models of all on the market today..
Products made in England are characterized by a rough surface, which is in perfect harmony with special lamps with matt diffusers. Similar modifications are commonly found in hospitals, gyms, cafeterias, offices and libraries..
If we talk about the materials from which the panels are made, this also affects the features of use..
In recent years, glass ceilings have been in great demand among the Russian consumer, this is understandable, because if a light source is placed behind the back wall of the panel, then, scattering and refracting, it will create the effect of a sunny day in the room, fill the space with glow. Plates are easy to clean, they are resistant to liquid media, resistant to mold and mildew, therefore they are used to create ceilings in bathrooms, swimming pools and in the kitchen.
Aluminum slabs can have a wide variety of designs, there are products with a matte or embossed surface, as well as products decorated with a pattern. The undoubted advantages of this type of coatings include fire resistance, ease of maintenance and resistance to mechanical damage. They are optimal for production and storage facilities, as well as where there is an increased load on the ceiling..
LED panels are not only beautiful, they also act as a luminaire. The skeleton of such slabs consists of aluminum, LED strips are attached around the perimeter, their bulbs emit light into special lenses. They, in turn, scatter the light flux and redirect it downward. The light becomes soft, diffused, without flickering irritating to the eye. That is why the panels are ideal for living rooms with low ceilings..
The manufacturer offers options in different sizes: 20×20, 30×30 and 60×60 cm, in addition, there are round panels – they go well with a plasterboard coating.
MDF boards are widely used in residential buildings, they have a low price, are easy to install and are characterized by a long service life. Most often, they decorate additional rooms: an entrance hall, corridors, balconies and utility blocks, as well as similar panels are widely used in suburban and suburban construction.
Heating models allow you to maintain the required microclimate and temperature regime without drafts, and at the same time provide heating savings that reach 40%. This makes the products popular where large families live. German infrared water panels warm up incredibly quickly and cool down just as quickly.
They are optimal for cold rooms with a very large area, which is quite problematic to warm up in a standard way – cafes, cinemas, theaters, hotel lobbies and others..
It is important to choose the right panels for the ceiling decoration. Regardless of what type of product you prefer, experts advise focusing on several points:
- the surface of the product should not be uneven;
- stiffening ribs must certainly be very strong, the more of these ribs, the more durable and stable the whole structure will be;
- choose models with a clear pattern, a blurred outline under artificial lighting creates a feeling of sloppiness and unwashed;
- if the panel is compressed, it should not normally deform and crack, a small dent is allowed;
- when joining several elements, there should be no gaps and voids.
With all the variety of manufacturers, it is better to purchase products from well-known brands that have earned a good reputation in the market due to their consistently high quality. Well, do not forget to add a small margin to the estimated number of panels – it should be 10-15%.
Beautiful examples in the interior
Textured panels are ideal for embodying the ideas of unshakable classics in design, they create a sense of luxury, grace and impeccable taste.
Rack panels can become a real highlight of a stylish extraordinary interior..
Mirrored ceiling panels give the room a unique style, fill it with a sense of spaciousness and light.
Panels can be a real godsend for restaurants, hotel lobbies, waiting rooms and other public places..
Light panels look original and elegant.
Of course, nothing will emphasize the aristocracy of the room and the high status of its owner better than wood panels.
In the next video, see instructions for installing plastic panels on the ceiling..