The exterior of the house has two functions. This is, of course, giving an aesthetic appearance, styling the walls and facade. In addition, finishing materials provide additional protection for the building from external natural factors. In the modern building materials market, there are many options for performing external cladding of buildings. Today we will talk about one of them – block house vinyl siding..
A bit of history
The first similarity of such a finishing material appeared in the 19th century in America. There they tried to sheathe the walls of houses and buildings with wooden boards. This innovation stuck well, so they began to improve it. Around the middle of the 20th century, the United States and Canada began to produce industrial panels for the decoration of buildings, which were made of metal and vinyl..
What is a block house?
This phrase can be translated as “fortified building”. In Europe, this term is called frame buildings. In military terminology, this is a fortified structure.
In the construction industry, this phrase is assigned to one of the types of finishing materials, which externally imitates a log frame. The second common name is log siding.
The front surface of the panel is made in the form of a half-cylinder, which imitates a log structure. This finish is great for a private house..
Varieties of siding
Panels of all three types of material are now widely used..
- Wooden panels. The material is valuable because it has a natural base, is environmentally friendly, and gives the facade and walls an original look. The disadvantage is that the tree requires constant maintenance during operation. Otherwise, such a casing will quickly become unusable due to the influence of external factors. Also, a significant disadvantage is the recently increased cost of natural materials..
- Metal siding. It is more durable, does not require careful maintenance, and its installation is simple. However, cladding with metal panels requires the purchase of a large number of additional elements..
- Vinyl siding. This is the best option for finishing, combining aesthetic appearance and durability. Vinyl panels do not need special care, retain their color and shape, despite external influences. Installation of such siding does not require a large number of additional parts and building elements..
Functions that block house vinyl siding performs:
- masonry defects and other shortcomings will be hidden under the panels;
- additional protection of the walls of the house from adverse and destructive environmental factors;
- additional wall insulation;
- aesthetic appearance, decoration of the walls and facade of the building.
The block house is also widely used for interior decoration..
Vinyl panel production
Vinyl siding is made on the basis of polyvinyl chloride (PVC). In production, in most cases, a technology called “co-extrusion” is used. With this method of production, the PVC composition melted under the influence of high temperatures is passed through a press. There, the liquid PVC cools down, acquiring the appropriate final shape and configuration. The press also squeezes out the holes for fastening.
The next step is the external processing of each panel.. A second (thinner) layer of polyvinyl chloride is applied to the hardened base. The outer coating is given a certain texture. The base layer is at least 80% of the thickness of the vinyl panel. A layer of PVC superimposed on top performs a decorative function.
At the final stage of production, the finished material is cut according to the specified width and length.
The advantages of vinyl block house panels include the following characteristic features.
- High-quality vinyl block house is not subject to fading under the influence of direct sunlight.
- The material is highly durable, able to withstand mechanical stress and dynamic loads.
- Vinyl siding is not subject to decay, as well as the negative effects of fungus and mold.
- The material is not flammable.
- The temperature range for PVC operation is from -50 ° С to + 60 ° С.
- To carry out the cladding of the building, it is not required to purchase a large number of additional materials and elements.
- The panels are lightweight. A square meter of this finishing material weighs about 2 kg. Due to this, the installation of panels does not create a tangible additional load on the walls and foundation of the building..
- Vinyl siding house cladding is simple and not time consuming. It can be carried out without the involvement of specialists (by 2-3 people).
- Vinyl panels perfectly perform the function of additional heat and noise insulation at home, protect walls from external negative factors.
- The material is harmless.
- Imitation of the appearance under a log cabin gives the structure a beautiful appearance. A variety of colors and shades are available for selection.
- Vinyl siding block house does not require additional maintenance, easy to wash and clean dry or wet.
The block house also has some disadvantages..
- Siding models with unique decorative design are quite expensive. The budget price line usually contains options with a standard design..
- Polyvinyl chloride cannot withstand direct contact with hot objects. In this case, deformation of its surface is inevitable..
The following brands are widely represented on the Russian market of building materials and have proven themselves well.
Docke is a fairly popular siding among consumers. The manufacturer is the Euromet company. This material can rightfully be called one of the best combinations of affordable price, reliability and quality. Products of this brand have numerous positive customer reviews..
A significant advantage is that the manufacturer has focused on the versatility of the product. Docke siding can be easily installed in combination with other types of panels from this manufacturer.
Grand Line is a PVC siding from a Russian manufacturer. The manufacturing technology was developed specifically for the climatic conditions of our country. The operating temperature range has been expanded. Another useful addition is to increase the wear resistance and impact resistance of the panels..
Timber Trend is a siding with a very beautiful exterior finish. Judging by customer reviews, the products of this brand are the closest in structure to the natural wood finish. The panels have a slightly increased (compared to standard) thickness. This makes them stiffer and more durable. Timber Trend siding is relatively expensive but has a lifespan of around 25 years..
Tecos is a Russian-Belgian product. Has excellent external characteristics. The panels are available in three different shades. Products are in the middle price category of similar products.
Remico is a siding from a Canadian manufacturer. Only analogies of Polish production are available on our market. Is quite expensive. The manufacturer provides a large selection of texture and color options. The surface of the panels does not have a glossy sheen typical for PVC material, which makes the appearance of the cladding as similar as possible to a natural log house.
Another useful and unique characteristic of this product is that micro-holes are included in the structure of the panel, which compensate for the expansion and deformation of the plastic base when the temperature changes..
FineBer is a domestic vinyl siding block house. The shape of the panels imitates double logs. This change in the configuration of the product can reduce the consumption of fasteners and significantly speed up the process of installing the outer skin of the building. The advantages for the consumer include the relatively low cost of this product..
However, the panels of this brand also have disadvantages.. First, they are susceptible to partial fading under regular and prolonged exposure to direct sunlight. The color palette is very scarce – only 6 mostly light shades.
How to choose?
In order not to be mistaken with the choice, you should not be guided by the cost of the product alone. Affordable price does not always mean poor quality, and a high price tag does not always guarantee the presence of unique properties.
When choosing, you should be guided by the operating conditions. Perhaps some of the improved properties in your case will be useless or not entirely justified – do not overpay for them.
But it is still not recommended to save on quality if the cheaper option does not have the characteristics you need..
Please check the authenticity of the product before purchasing. Ask the seller or manager at the point of sale to provide you with certificates and documents for the products. It will not be superfluous to look for reviews about the product and the manufacturer if you are not familiar with the brand. Inspect the product carefully for defects. Appreciate his external qualities.
Pay particular attention to the following points:
- all holes for fastening must be the same, and their edges must be even (without burrs, bends or wavy areas);
- the panels must have a so-called anti-hurricane lock;
- the dimensions of all panels must be the same (they can be compared by eye at the end);
- the structure of the panels should be uniform in texture and color (no cracks, dents, abrasions and blotches).
Tips for cladding a house with siding – in the next video.