Recently, mosaic masonry has become one of the most popular design options for flooring. It is used to decorate the room in a truly original way, and is embodied not only in the bathroom and in the kitchen, but also in some other rooms. Most owners of premises prefer to entrust the laying of such miniature parts to professionals, but some still carry out such painstaking work on their own. In order not to be mistaken in choosing such a tile, as well as to correctly carry out its laying, you need to familiarize yourself in advance with all its characteristics and installation rules. All these issues will be discussed in detail in this article..
The main distinguishing feature of floor mosaics is the small size of the tiles themselves. Square parts have parameters of 1 by 1 cm. There are also tiles that are fixed on a common base and are already more dimensional plates. Their parameters can be either 10 by 10 cm or 30 by 30 cm, depending on the fastening technology.
A distinctive feature of a mosaic located on the floor or walls is the ability to create compositions and drawings using small details.
Most often, you can see mosaic panels in the kitchen or in the bathroom, however, the variety of materials presented for such a floor allows you to lay it in other rooms..
Mosaic floors are one of the hallmarks of luxury and prosperity. Because the entire surface is divided into small sections, the floor reflects more light, giving the room an even more solid appearance..
It is important to take into account such a feature of the floor that the details are laid out only on a carefully prepared base.. The elements look really beautiful only if they were laid on a perfectly flat surface..
In the modern construction market, the material for covering floors using mosaic technology is presented in a huge variety. This explains the existence of several options for classifying such tiles into types. The first sign is the material from which the coatings are made..
The ceramic variety is produced in two steps. On the first of them, the clay goes through the firing process, on the second, the material is covered with a special glazed layer, which can be presented in various colors. A significant advantage of this option is the high strength of the finished coating, and with the help of a similar texture, the pattern is given a special “depth”.
For most buyers, an important factor is the variety of choices combined with a pleasant price..
Floors made of stone mosaics look exquisite and expensive. This floor can be based on materials such as marble and granite. The price for such a tile is usually high, but it looks beautiful both in closed rooms and on balconies or terraces. The material also has a high level of strength, which is excellently combined with aesthetic benefits. Natural material can be presented as a matte finish, but sometimes the stone is covered with glaze to achieve a glossy effect.
For open-type premises or areas near a private house, a concrete mosaic coating would be a good option.. Cement is taken as the basis for creating such a material, while it is combined with special additives that give the coating different shades. The finished plot resembles the surface of the sidewalk.
The most economical way is to purchase material based on broken tiles. It is great for creating various patterns on the floor surface..
In rooms with a high level of humidity, the most optimal option is with glass mosaic.. This material is considered one of the most resistant to the effects of water, as well as various chemical elements found in detergents and disinfectants. As a rule, the drawing in this version is applied to the back side of the parts, but it is one of the most durable.
If you want to create an interesting panel on the floor surface, then you will need such a kind of mosaic material as smalt. It is a colored glass that is not transparent and can be painted in various shades..
Using special adhesives, smalt can even be placed on wood and metal surfaces.
In addition to the materials listed above, small floor tiles can include wooden elements. This option is only suitable for rooms with a dry microclimate, however, since exposure to moisture is possible, give preference to such types of raw materials as coconut or bamboo, which are fairly hard materials. Such floors are very harmoniously combined with eco-style, as well as with various ethnic interior concepts. Unlike some other types of raw materials, this coating is not cold, so movement on it will not cause unpleasant sensations.
A special variety is the Terrazzo mosaic. It is based on natural elements that act as fillers. These may include porcelain stoneware, pebbles, marble chips. The mixture composition of this decor can be changed according to individual preferences. The advantage of such floors is their strength, but after laying the mosaic requires obligatory grinding and polishing..
To give the room a special atmosphere and to create a successful color combination, mosaic flooring such as Mix is usually chosen. It involves a combination of different textures and shades. As a rule, materials such as natural stone and glass, porcelain stoneware and marble elements, metal and glass parts are combined. Such combinations look very contrasting and unusual, while this coating option is not very expensive.
One of the unusual types of raw materials for making mosaic tiles is aluminum.. Often it is decorated in bronze, gold and other metals with the help of special color pigments added to the original material..
The material has a fairly high strength, so it is often installed in rooms with a high level of traffic..
The second sign by which mosaic-type tile coverings are classified is the way they are fastened and placed..
The most painstaking and long-term work is required by such options in which each element is a separate part. Their disadvantage is the time spent on finishing, but with the help of such a mosaic you can come up with a design that will fully emphasize your individuality and will be completely different from other options..
If you want to facilitate the work of masonry, then you can give preference to options where the mosaic elements are attached on a common base according to the drawing and form larger parts. Chips are fixed on a common frame made of special mesh or paper, so that from the outside they look like separate parts. Moreover, the process of laying them will be much faster. When choosing this option, remember that it is not suitable for creating complex drawings, panels or compositions. But when decorating the floors of rooms decorated in a minimalist style, it is very profitable to dwell on a similar coating option..
There are usually notches on the surface of this type of tile..
It was this feature that became the basis for the following classification of the material..
- In the first version, the notches are presented in the form of deepened slots, which most likely imitate independent elements. But such a coating requires a procedure such as grouting..
- Occasionally, the notches can be represented by shallower joints that are filled with factory-made grout. Such options are convenient, but have the disadvantage of being unstable for transportation. In the process of transportation, the factory grout often cracks and crumbles, so later you have to repair the defects yourself.
- There is also an option without slots. The relief effect is created by the presence of square and round pixels in such a coating, which have different sizes. From a distance, the mosaic is more pronounced, but on closer inspection, the effect is weakened..
Advantages and disadvantages
Before deciding to decorate the floors in the room using mosaic tiles, you need to take into account that such a coating has not only positive, but also negative characteristics..
The pluses of the mosaic include the following nuances.
- An additional level of protection against mechanical damage. The durability of the small particle coating is especially noticeable in the case of pinpoint damage. Even if an element is damaged, it can be replaced without having to dismantle a large part of the surface..
- Porcelain stoneware and ceramic floor tiles are highly resistant to alkalis, acids and other chemicals. Moreover, such tiles are quite easy to clean..
- Mosaic has a low level of moisture absorption, so most materials are perfect for covering floors in bathrooms, saunas and swimming pools.
- UV resistance is another attribute that explains the durability of this floor. The tile does not fade, does not lose its aesthetic appeal, which is why it is used for laying on terraces..
- In those types of raw materials that are used for mosaic floors, no harmful substances are added, so they can all be called environmentally friendly. Such floors do not emit any impurities into the air and are not harmful to health..
- The main range of products has a very affordable cost for most of the population. Also, a positive nuance is the ability to choose the ideal version of the material, since it is presented in a wide variety..
- It is also worth noting the shape of the tiles themselves. It is not limited to just squares and rhombuses. You can also find triangular, multifaceted and various asymmetrical elements that diversify the look of the room..
- Mosaic flooring is compatible with almost all interior styles. You just need to choose the required texture, color and material.
- Small elements can be used to transform the floor surface into a work of art. Mosaics can be used to lay out various panels, decorate patterns and transform the entire look of the room..
- An important positive property is the elasticity of this coating. The substrate on which the parts are formed, as a rule, has special gaps. This allows the mosaic to be placed not only on flat, but also on protruding or rounded bases..
- Mosaic has an additional function in addition to being decorative. It is often used for zoning rooms. This is especially true for many modern studio apartments and large mansions..
Among the shortcomings of the material, the following nuances can be noted.
- If you are going to cover a large area, then such repairs will be quite expensive. This is especially true of materials made from natural stone species, which in themselves have a high price..
- The need for very thorough surface preparation. Even the slightest flaw can spoil the result. Therefore, a lot of time is usually spent on work. In addition, it is recommended to apply for the service of such a masonry to professionals, which again requires additional financial costs..
- The surface of most types of tiles, especially the glazed ones, is quite slippery. In rooms with high levels of humidity, this can lead to injury. But this nuance is regulated by purchasing special rugs..
- Many materials, especially natural stone, make the floor look quite cold. Therefore, when choosing products, consider in which room they will be located, the general climate in the room and the characteristics of the residents. If you walk on such a floor in shoes, then this drawback is not critical..
When you decide on the choice of mosaic material for decorating the floor surface, you can start the installation process. The most popular option is to install mosaic tiles on a mesh frame. This procedure includes a number of stages, the most important of which is the preparation of the base for the mosaic..
This preparation is carried out as follows.
- Leveling the floors. The surface must be perfect, therefore, the leveling procedure is best carried out using a level and building beacons. With the help of these devices, as well as a special mixture, the floor screed is made..
- Before laying the coating, it is necessary to make markings that greatly simplify the entire subsequent installation process. You need to mark it from the central part of the room, placing several fragments side by side there. After that, it is necessary to measure the parameters of the resulting section, and then, using a bumper thread, a triangle and a tape measure, mark the rest of the surface.
- Further, based on the resulting markup, you can calculate the amount of material required.
The adhesive is applied sequentially. Before laying each element, one marking cell must be treated with glue and, using a comb, level its layer. In order for the coating to sit more firmly, a bonding compound should also be applied to the back of the tile. You cannot smear the entire surface with glue at once, since it will dry out before you have time to fill everything with mosaic.
The tile should be carefully positioned in the cell so that it lies perfectly flat.. Use a rubber or foam float to smooth out the elements. Pay attention to the fact that the seams between them should be the same. Do not use your hands to do this, as the uneven distribution of force may result in less work. Afterwards, clean the seams from the protruding excess adhesive.
Leave the surface for a couple of days for the glue to dry completely, and then start grouting. Prepare the grout and, using a rubber trowel, carefully fill the joints with it..
The grout mixture will set after a third of an hour. After that, the excess should also be removed. This is done with a dry, clean cloth. It is not necessary to exert strong efforts to remove more grout than necessary..
When the whole mixture is completely dry, you need to wet the surface..
Please note that there are different types of grouting material. The epoxy-based version does not require the addition of additional components, as it is resistant to moisture. But the cement variety involves the use of a sealant as an additional protective element.
A separate algorithm is the design of such an insert as a mosaic panel.
The procedure requires the following sequence of actions:
- on a flat and clean floor surface, you need to draw a drawing, according to which the future panel will be laid out;
- then plan the exact location of the elements, their required number and shape;
- at the third stage, accurate cutting of parts is carried out;
- the rest of the procedure is the same as for the mesh mosaic.
Please note that for closed rooms, the accuracy of the location of the fragments is more important than for open terraces..
Therefore, many designers recommend choosing such spaces for mosaics where small mistakes will not be critical. This is especially true for those who do not have much experience in self-laying floors..
Taking proper care of your mosaic floor can not only maintain its appearance at a high level, but also extend the life of the material..
It is best to use a vacuum cleaner when cleaning coarse debris as it will less damage to the grout. If you prefer a brush, then choose those models that have soft bristles..
Pay close attention to the composition of the detergents. It is better not to purchase products containing corrosive acids.
The number of cleanings is determined by the degree of permeability and contamination of the room. On average, wet cleaning without the use of detergents can be carried out once or twice a week. Once a month, you can carry out a general cleaning with various cleaning compositions. But this schedule may vary depending on the individual indicators of pollution..
Many of those who decided to make a mosaic floor in the rooms of their house cannot decide on a specific design option. Designers offer a huge number of beautiful examples of placing such tiles in various rooms of the house..
The following options will look great in the hallway:
- the combination of small mosaics with a floral pattern will become especially relevant if there are architectural elements such as columns in the room;
- using a mosaic, you can create a color contrast, as well as an imitation of a carpet element located near the door or in the central part of the hall;
- geometry is a safe bet; complex mosaic combinations help to enclose one figure in another, impressing visitors to the house with its unusualness.
For a long narrow corridor, the flooring design can be as follows:
- mosaic tiles are often laid out like a carpet runner, with patterns located at the edges and sometimes in the center;
- if the walls are painted in a light neutral shade, then the floor can perform an accent function; therefore, when choosing a mosaic, the support is made on the geometry;
- the space of the corridor can be diversified with mosaic tiles made in pastel colors, for example, pink.
The favorite place for the mosaic covering is the bathroom..
Here the mosaic can be embodied in a very interesting way..
- The pattern on the floor can often become a continuation of the pattern on the walls.. In some cases, especially if the color combination is harmonious, this option looks really creative..
- The nautical theme is very appropriate in the bathrooms, therefore, mosaic elements often have a blue tint and can cover not only the floor, but also other interior details.
- If the mosaic tiles are on the floor, plumbing fixtures and walls, the use of a gradient will be a good technique.
The kitchen is a great place to decorate the floor with mosaic tiles.
In this room, the following options will be relevant:
- pastel color ensemble in mosaic goes well with white kitchen;
- if you plan to use two textures, you can arrange them so that one is the main one, and the other forms a pattern.
Considering all the features of such a material as floor mosaic tiles, you can transform any room in your home. This coating will help you impress guests, complement any style and highlight your personality..
Tips for laying mosaics – in the next video.