Today silk plaster is becoming very popular, because such a coating looks great and allows you to embody a variety of design ideas into reality. However, not everyone knows how to properly apply silk plaster with your own hands..
There is nothing complicated in this, you just need to familiarize yourself with the master class and take into account some important recommendations when finishing.
Silk plasters come in a wide variety of colors – from very bright, conspicuous, to delicate, restrained. Such coatings meet even the most sophisticated needs..
Such materials include the following components:
- an acrylic substance that is a binder;
- natural or artificial silk fibers;
- cotton or cellulose;
- various additives;
Today, there are silk plaster coatings on the market that contain glitter. They sparkle when the sun’s rays hit them. Using lighting, you can create a wide variety of effects. It is even possible to obtain the effect of a translucent surface. Many consumers choose artificial silk compositions, because the cost of such materials is lower.
Silk plaster first appeared in Russia at the end of the 20th century. Such material was supplied from Japan and European countries. Previously, it was very expensive, and therefore not everyone could afford it. Today this material is quite affordable for middle-income consumers..
Advantages and disadvantages
Silk plaster coatings have a lot of advantages:
- Such plaster provides heat and sound insulation, because its structure is microporous..
- The room provides high-quality air circulation.
- Silk plasters are environmentally friendly.
- These materials have antistatic properties; dust does not accumulate on such surfaces..
- Silk plaster coatings are fireproof. When ignited, they do not promote the spread of flame and do not emit toxic substances..
- Such plasters are resistant to fading, so the color of such materials does not change over time. The surface covered with silk plaster looks like a beautiful expensive fabric.
- With the help of such coatings, it is possible to eliminate defects that exist on the surface. They fill cracks very effectively.
- Silk plasters are easy to apply. Even an inexperienced master can handle such finishing work..
- Since at the present time manufacturers offer a wide variety of silk plasters, you can choose an option for any design.
Silk plasters also have some disadvantages..
There are several disadvantages of such materials:
- The coating can lose its attractiveness if it is constantly in contact with any heavy products – for example, with pieces of furniture. To avoid this, you can use special decorative overlays..
- Silk renders can absorb unpleasant odors.
- If you do not clean the surface on which such material will be applied, the coating will then absorb the dirt. For this reason, the bases must be carefully prepared before plastering..
With the help of silk decorative plaster coatings, you can zone rooms: for example, highlight work areas or places for recreation. In this case, the color of the selected plaster should be different from the rest of the shades in the room. Such materials are suitable for a wide variety of rooms, however, it should be borne in mind that they strongly absorb liquid..
Do not use decorative plaster in rooms with high humidity..
Silk plaster suitable for a wide variety of substrates. It is necessary to prepare surfaces, focusing on the features of specific types:
- Concrete. The absorbency of such substrates is very high. So that the consumption of the coloring composition is not excessively strong, a putty should be used. This will be a kind of training before applying the plaster coating. The gray color of concrete should not show through on the surface, so the layer of putty must be calculated as accurately as possible.
- Plaster. If there is already plaster on the substrate, make sure that the coating does not flake or peel off. The existing defects will need to be eliminated, then you can use a special tool designed to strengthen the surface. Apply a putty to the cleaned areas, use a primer or impregnation for the entire surface. In the event that there are stains, streaks on the base, before using silk plaster, an oil or alkyd paint composition should be applied to it..
- Drywall. Putty will need to be applied to drywall sheets. If the plaster coating is light, it is quite possible that the processed joints of these sheets will then appear. To avoid such problems, after filling, apply a mixture of PVA glue and white paint (1: 3) to the surface. The putty must completely cover the fasteners: this will avoid the formation of rust.
- Wood. Before using silk plastering material, wood should be treated with special mixtures and primers..
- Metal. If you are going to apply decorative plaster on a metal base, you should first cover it with nitro enamel or oil paint.
Silk plaster can be liquid or dry. The method of applying the plastering material depends on what type it belongs to. So that the results of finishing work do not disappoint, when implementing them, you need to take into account a variety of nuances..
Let’s dwell on the technique of preparing dry silk plaster at home, and also do not forget about the intricacies of using the resulting coating.
- Place warm liquid in a plastic container. There should be as much water as indicated in the instructions for the plaster. If there are glitters, add them too. Then you will need to dilute dry plaster: shake the bag and pour it into the water.
- You need to mix everything with the utmost care so that there are no lumps. Since the composition is natural, the skin of the hands does not need to be protected.
- Prepare enough plaster so that it can be applied to the entire wall. You need to create a mixture 12 hours before using it: most often the material is prepared in the evening and left until morning. Stir before use. If necessary, add a little liquid: this will make the plaster easier to apply to the substrate..
- The plastering material is applied to the surface using a trowel or spatula. The portions should be small. It is recommended to start applying the plaster from the corner..
- Wait two hours and make the finish as even as possible using a spatula. From time to time it will need to be moistened in water. The surface will become completely dry after two to three days..
- To make the wall dry faster, you can ventilate the room (the room temperature should be positive). It is possible to use heating devices.
- You can freeze a small part of the plaster material, the cold will not affect its performance.
Experts share the recipe for the preparation and features of the use of liquid silk plasters.
- Mix the color and liquid base thoroughly: first separately, and then – by combining them. To get the desired color, read the instructions on the package..
- Using a trowel, apply the plaster to the surface. It is recommended to take a small amount of material because it should remain quite liquid..
It is better to apply liquid silk plaster using a roller with a short nap. It is necessary to monitor the uniformity of the layer and the pressure.
Wet silk effect
To obtain a similar effect, dilute the dry mixture with liquid and make the material pasty using a mixer attachment and a drill. Put in the color scheme and mix everything thoroughly again. Wait about twenty minutes and apply the material to the surface using a stainless steel trowel.
The wet silk finish can be compared to the application of Venetian plaster. You will need to collect a little mixture on a trowel. Then start rubbing it with short strokes..
They should be located randomly, towards each other and slightly diagonally. You can overlap strokes or allow small gaps.
Wait for the first coat to dry (usually within six hours) and start applying the second. Previous strokes should, as it were, overlap with new ones., this can be compared to the principle of brickwork. Usually three layers of strokes are applied.
If you wish, you can additionally decorate the surface covered with silk plaster. Run over the wet surface with a trowel, as if drawing waves, Christmas trees and so on.
Place images in one direction and make them orderly.
Patterns can also be created with the help of other devices: crumpled pieces of cloth, washcloths, brushes.
Certain recommendations should be considered:
- for applying patterns, use plaster that is darker or lighter than the background;
- it will be necessary to remove excess material from the sponge.
Silk plastering is easy to maintain. Vacuum the surface periodically. Areas around switches, outlets and similar items can be cleaned with an eraser. If a protective varnish has been applied to the plaster, it will need to be cleaned using a cloth dampened with water.
- Silk plastering looks very expensive, it can give a unique chic to any room.
- Ideal for the living room – pink walls with a mesmerizing shine.
- Silk plaster goes very well with beautiful designs.
- Silk coverings in light shades are ideal for bedrooms – rooms designed for relaxation, recreation. The image at the headboard gives the room an extra zest..
In the next video, you will find the basics of applying silk plaster..