If you cannot find the water-based paint of the required color, but the quality of a certain manufacturer suits you, you can improve its palette by using a color scheme. Consider the intricacies of the selection of color, find out what it is, study the types, palette of demanded tones and consumption.
What it is?
Coloring refers to a concentrated pigment that allows existing paints to be given the desired shade. The term “tinting” literally means “color”. Its main function is to create the desired shades for painting concrete, brick and plastered surfaces. Tinting pastes existing today can be used to paint any surfaces..
The colors that paint manufacturers offer are not always able to meet your needs, so the choice of paint is quite difficult. Color scheme can help in such a situation. If you need to paint any surface, you use white paint as a basis.. By adding concentrated pigment, you can achieve any shade you want..
It is necessary to pay attention to what elements the color scheme consists of, since it can contain organic and inorganic materials. With the help of natural pigments, you can make the color brighter and more saturated. Before you start mixing, you can study the tinting cards of each brand. This will allow you to select the tone as close as possible to the desired one, taking into account compatibility with a specific type of paint..
You can classify colors by their form of release. They are sold as powder, paste and ready-to-use paint. The most economical option is powder color, which is mixed with water-based paint. The disadvantage of this form is the fact that when stirring it is problematic to obtain a homogeneous mass..
The greatest demand is color, issued in the form of a paste. It allows you to obtain beautiful natural shades. Add the paste to the paint gradually until you get the desired color. It should be borne in mind that the shade may change slightly when it dries..
Color packaging is different: you can purchase the product in special tubes, plastic bottles and vials. Store the material, regardless of its type, in a dark place where direct sunlight will not fall. In this case, the temperature should be room temperature. The material under consideration can be divided into 2 main groups: inorganic and organic colors.
The latter are characterized by a more saturated color. The disadvantages include the fact that this color quickly loses its brightness if the coating is exposed to direct sunlight. Inorganic colors are produced in limited quantities. They have a rather dull color, but their color properties remain for a long period of time..
The color palette of each type of color scheme is varied. Each company has its own characteristics. Speaking of the powder version, it should be noted that there are only a few possible shades. The paste color scheme is characterized by a wide range of colors that will allow you to translate any design idea into reality. Ready-to-use paints can be purchased in a variety of colors, but there are not many of them in order to allow yourself to experiment.
When acquiring a certain color of the tint in the form of a paste, you can vary its shade depending on the proportion. The palette of organic colors includes bright and rich shades, but they fade relatively quickly in the sun.. It is for this reason that they should not be used for outdoor work.. Pigments based on inorganic components are characterized by pastel colors, they are fairly lightfast.
Today, in stores of materials for construction, you can buy a pearlescent color or a pigment that has a metallic luster. This color can be used for most modern paints and varnishes. Today, a wide range of colors are presented on the shelves of building stores. The most popular brands are Dufa, Tex, Dulax. Each of the presented manufacturers provides its own unique palette.
If you could not find the desired shade, then you can search for it in the palette of another brand, or start mixing yourself.
Popular shades today are:
- gold glitter.
The average consumption of 1 kg of color per 1 m2 depends on the type of paint used. For example, for an emulsion variety, no more than 20% of the volume of the base white composition will be required. When it comes to oil-based paint, no more than 1.5% is required. In other situations, the amount of color should be no more than 7%. The consumption of this material depends on what shade you want to achieve..
In any situation, adhere to the proportions previously indicated.. An excessively high content of concentrated pigment in the paint will lead to a decrease in its quality.
How to choose?
The modern construction market offers a fairly large range of colors that are suitable for various types of dyes. Some manufacturers produce pigment compositions that are versatile. These varieties can be used to give a shade to paint, plaster or putty mixture. This versatility is especially appreciated in the construction industry..
A wide assortment leads to the fact that the consumer is faced with the complexity of the choice. It is necessary to stop the choice on a particular color based on what surface you plan to paint.
Consider the different types of color scheme and for which surfaces it is recommended to use them:
- The liquid version is suitable for a variety of impregnations and primers. It can be added to varnishes used to treat solid wood. It is also used for various sawn timber..
- Concentrates with a liquid consistency are designed for emulsion and dispersion paints. Therefore, they are suitable for a base that is made on water..
- Paste colors can be purchased for alkyd and oil enamels. They can be used in various blends for whitewashing..
- Versatile materials can be used for different types of enamels.
- The composition of the color scheme, supplemented with mother-of-pearl or metallic luster, is characterized by a different list, which allows you to choose it for different paintwork materials.
Based on the purpose for which the color scheme will be purchased, with what paint it will be mixed, you can make the right choice.
How to dilute correctly?
The choice has been made, so you can proceed to further work: we turn our white base into a certain shade with the help of a pigment. The dosage must be accurate in order to tint properly. It is required to prepare glass jars in advance. You can replace them with plastic food boxes. Before mixing, containers must be thoroughly washed and dried. This is an extremely important point when it comes to tinting..
Pour the base (white paint) into the prepared container. Be sure to write down its volume somewhere so as not to forget. This information is important to get the correct proportion. You need to add color gradually. If it is liquid, then 2-3 drops will be enough.
Stir the paint thoroughly. If you are planning to create a complex color that was not in the palette, then experiment by mixing 2-3 paints, however, the amount should be small at first. Add 2-3 drops gradually until the desired color is obtained. The number of drops added must be recorded.
Often, poor mixing of the paint will not achieve the desired result. It happens that in the process of painting in some areas lumps with a more saturated color are formed, which is why the surface is painted unevenly.
Be careful to stir the paint well before applying to the surface. Otherwise, you will have to repaint it..
When the desired color is obtained, paint a small area of the surface. You need to check the color in a day, when the paint is completely dry. If you are satisfied with the result, you can tint the remaining paint in the same proportion. In a situation where you were unhappy with the resulting shade, you need to increase or decrease the amount of color.
If you don’t like the color at all, you can try another one. Without proper experience, it is quite difficult to find the right shade. On the wall, the paint will be several shades lighter, which is important to consider when diluting.
To achieve the desired result, be patient and take your time. After all, the color of the coating should be pleasant, be aesthetically attractive.
Especially for you, we have selected a large list of tips that will help you with the choice, breeding and use of the color scheme.. Consider these guidelines that may teach you new things..
- Superficial mixing of the paint will not produce a uniform color. It is recommended to use a mixer or plaster drill attachment to ensure thorough mixing. In this case, the drill must be set to a minimum so as not to spray paint.
- It is better to prepare paint in one container. In a situation where you have not used the concentrated pigment completely, its residues can be stored for about 5 years.
- To find the desired color that can give you the desired shade, play in your head with the saturation of each of them..
- If you do not want to experiment with color saturation, you can immediately start breeding large volumes, but if you make a mistake with the proportion, you will lose a sufficiently large amount of base paint, which will lead to unforeseen costs..
- When buying a color scheme, calculate in advance how much will be required to the total volume of paint used.
- In order not to be mistaken with the choice, based on the manufacturer’s catalog. This will allow you to see the finished shade..
- If you plan on creating original shades, use the existing paint color mixing tables..
- If you are working with a certain color for the first time, it is not recommended to mix a large amount at once. It is necessary to make a test solution in a small container. It is best to use white dishes.
- If the prepared solution was left idle for some time, then before staining it must be mixed again..
- If a color was obtained that is more saturated than intended, then you can add a base white paint to the solution..
- It is recommended to choose pigments in narrow-necked vials so that it is convenient for you to count the drops.
- The cost of the finished colored paint will be higher than that sold in the form of powder or paste. Consider this point when choosing a type of pigment..
Buy your color scheme from a reputable reputable store. This will allow you to avoid the purchase of low-quality material, which can also affect the uniformity of the texture when the paint is combined with the color scheme..
Pay attention to the paint itself: if its shade is initially yellowish, the color of the finished tone may not match the desired. Carefully select both components, because the type of finished coating directly depends on their quality.
When buying, pay attention to the expiration date: an expired product does not have the properties declared by the manufacturer. Breeding it will be more difficult. This aspect is important for both paint and color scheme. Look at the cost and original packaging. If possible, flip through the reviews of the looked after product: this will allow you to evaluate its performance and the complexity of tinting. If necessary, select varieties that can be mixed for tone matching.
For information on how to tint water-based paint, see the next video.