Concrete is a durable and reliable material with many useful properties. The material is widely used in construction, it is used for various purposes. Concrete structures in open space are constantly exposed to the negative influence of environmental factors. Therefore, they require special care, which can only guarantee a high-quality coating..
The use of facade paint on concrete will improve its decorative qualities, increase the service life, hide minor defects and irregularities on the surface. However, many do not know how to choose a facade paint for concrete..
Criterias of choice
Since concrete systems (especially those located in open space) are unstable, the requirements for facing mortars for these surfaces must be overestimated.. Consider the main criteria.
- Adhesion. Facade paint should adhere well to the substrate to be painted and penetrate into it. To improve this quality, experts recommend treating the surface with a deep penetration primer before applying the coloring composition..
- Moisture resistance. Given the fact that the concrete coating absorbs moisture well, manufacturers of coloring materials include additives in their products that repel any liquid.
- Wear resistance. A property that characterizes the duration of the service life of a dye. The more negative influences the facade paint withstands, the better its level of wear resistance..
- UV resistant. Ultraviolet radiation has a detrimental effect on the coloring pigment of the facing material. If the indicator of resistance to exposure to sunlight is weak, the paint quickly loses its visual appeal, it will fade, and may peel off over time. Therefore, compositions for facade use must be distinguished by a high degree of resistance to sun rays..
- Vapor permeability. Paints for outdoor use must release the moisture accumulated by the concrete structure, otherwise the surface will collapse.
- Resistant to dirt. The coloring solutions of most manufacturers are distinguished by good resistance to dirt: they do not absorb dirt, they are easy to clean. If the painted surface is perfectly flat, dust will accumulate on it less than on a curved surface..
- Drying time. The faster the coloring material dries, the less likely it is that the concrete structure will start to deteriorate (the facing mortar should dry as quickly as possible).
- Consumption for 1 m2. Since concrete absorbs any liquid well, the consumption of the coloring composition will be large. In each case, you need to build on the characteristics of the purchased paint.
- Brightness. The saturation index is associated with the cost of the dye: the higher the saturation, the greater the consumption of the facing material.
Concrete surfaces need to be completely painted over as gray glimmers look unpresentable.
There is a wide range of materials on the concrete paints and varnishes market. Consider the most popular formulations with buyers.
It is a matte solution with excellent decorative characteristics. The main element is polyacrylates. This paint reliably protects the concrete base from fungal attack, it is easy to clean, it does not have a specific chemical smell. It dries quickly and has excellent vapor permeability. Service life is 10 years.
The advantages of this type of coating include strength and environmental friendliness, since there are no toxic substances in its composition. Acrylic retains the brightness of the surface, regardless of the life of the paint. Use acrylic paint for external and internal surfaces. All objects painted with this composition are reliably protected from moisture, they are distinguished by a high degree of wear resistance.
This paint creates a beautiful long-lasting layer that practically does not get dirty. This composition is applied to a pre-treated and dried surface with a primer..
Before painting and priming, the base is leveled and moistened. You can not use the lime composition on a hot day: it will dry quickly, lie down unevenly.
Polymer paint, unlike other types, is not afraid of lowering the temperature, it can be used even in severe frost. The polymer coating is shockproof and resists the negative effects of chemicals. This paint and varnish material is convenient to apply not only with a brush, roller, but also with a spray.
Water-epoxy base – a combination of dye and primer. The product is safe for the environment and humans; it can be used for painting surfaces in residential and commercial buildings. The solution repels moisture, it is wear-resistant. Before painting the surface with this composition, it is necessary to thoroughly stir the mixture and wait 15 minutes until the components begin to interact with each other. After that, you can start staining.. The surface treatment process consists of two stages.
- On the first one, the first layer is applied, which should dry well (it will take at least 18 hours).
- Then a second layer is applied, its drying is much faster (high enough ambient temperature).
Vinyl paint has a high paint over factor. It is homogeneous, from the point of view of decoration, the most successful. This paint and varnish material does not wear off over time, it has a characteristic matte texture. This paint can be used on façades and interior walls. Mix the solution well before painting. Be sure to prime the surface before painting. After that, the product is evenly distributed over the concrete base using a brush, roller and even a spray bottle..
Paints of this group are applied to the concrete base twice. The first (base) layer dries for about three hours, then the second layer is applied to the surface. Such solutions have advantages over other analogues due to the acrylic and silicone included in the composition. These varieties adhere well to the surface, have high adhesion and dry quickly. Silicone resins in the paint increase its elasticity and strength, due to which dust and dirt are not attracted to the solution. The only drawback of such paints is the meager color palette..
Which one to buy?
Today, there are facade paints for concrete, different in properties and characteristics, among them there are smooth and textured varieties. The latter are denser and of better quality: such materials hide minor imperfections and flaws in concrete surfaces (for example, cracks, small pits). Decorative features of facing materials are characterized by tinting and percentage of reflection.
Tinting is achieved by combining several paints of different colors.
Reflection Percentage is a measure of how the paint reflects sunlight or artificial light from a surface. For painting concrete structures, paint solutions with a matte reflection are often bought. Their main difference lies in their higher vapor permeability. Less commonly, semi-gloss paints are used (they are mainly chosen for decorating individual elements of concrete surfaces).
The building materials market is replete with a huge assortment of paints for concrete. This product is produced by many companies, among them a firm known to many consumers is in demand. Tikkurila (Finland), due to the high quality of the products. In the Russian space, the brand’s paints and varnishes are in great demand, their quality satisfies each customer. Tikkurila facade paints can be afforded by consumers with different financial capabilities.
The cost of facing products depends on the class of the mixture; there are budget options and premium products. The assortment of the company includes paints for facade works “Kivisil” (product is based on silicone emulsion), “Novasil” (acrylic-based cladding), as well as other types of coatings. The thinner of such paints in most cases is water..
The strength of Tikkurila’s tiles is reflected in the mixing system. In the presence of the client in the salon, upon purchase, the production of the required color is carried out.
The demanded Russian manufacturer of facing mortars is the company “Elcom”. The quality of the manufactured products meets all existing European standards. Facade paints are made on an organosilicon basis, due to which they are distinguished by high weather resistance and vapor permeability. In addition, these materials are resistant to UV radiation, they can be used at sub-zero temperatures..
In the territory of the Russian Federation, the production of paints for concrete is carried out by organizations “Olivesta”, “Nevsky paints”. Popular among the population and paints from the concern “Palette”, especially the coating series “Tury”. The quality of the products of the above manufacturers meets all the requirements of modern standards and the wishes of customers. These coatings provide an attractive concrete appearance..
For information on how to choose facade paint, see the next video..