Stretch ceiling is a specific and rather capricious material used for interior decoration. It has both sophistication and practicality..
Despite the beliefs of manufacturers that such ceilings do not require careful maintenance, over time, in any case, they will have to be washed..
The principles of safe care and cleaning are determined by the type of canvas, however, their observance and implementation does not require the possession of serious knowledge and skills..
General recommendations and methods of care
Stretch ceilings are made of either PVC film or polyester fabric. These materials are characterized by a high level of strength and resistance to external damage. To increase the period of operation of such ceilings, you must clearly know the rules for caring for them at home and listen to the recommendations for the safe cleaning of these surfaces..
Stretch ceilings cleaning depends on the degree of pollution and is carried out by two types of cleaning:
- Dry cleaning is carried out using a soft rag, driven over the surface in a circular motion without pressure. It involves the removal of dust that has accumulated over a short period of time..
- Wet cleaning involves the implementation of washing and cleaning more complex dirt using soft rags and special detergents that are not capable of damaging the structure of the material. Cleaning the surface, carried out when using solutions, is a more thorough and difficult process, since after washing it is necessary to achieve the absence of various kinds of streaks and streaks..
Before carrying out the procedure for cleaning the ceiling, the following useful recommendations should be taken into account:
- When treating surfaces, use only a soft sponge, flannel or suede cloth.
- You should start cleansing from some distant part of the ceiling in order to practice controlling your movements, contributing to the pressure of the rag on its surface. Small but sufficient effort required to remove dust or stains.
- For high ceilings, a stepladder, lightweight and short mop should be used. The preliminary stage is to check the condition of the ladder and its height, which should be enough to reach the ceiling surface. When using a squeegee with sharp corners, it is recommended to act with extreme caution, as this device can seriously damage the material..
- A prerequisite, strict adherence to which is necessary before starting work, is the removal of rings, bracelets, watches and other jewelry. They can easily touch a delicate surface and leave a scratch or depression.
- It is forbidden to clean off dirt from the ceiling with improvised means made of metal or plastic – this will lead to serious damage to the canvas, the restoration of the structure of which will no longer be possible.
The stretch ceiling must be cleaned as it gets dirty and carefully looked after, then it will last for many years and will delight with its pristine appearance.
Choice of funds
Stretch ceiling is made of a rather fragile material, which is not suitable for cleaning with every detergent. The use of abrasive cleaning agents is strictly prohibited..
The most proven and safest way to treat stretch ceilings is considered to be a soap solution., prepared by mixing water with liquid soap, which has a transparent color, or with soap shavings. To obtain this type of product, you need to grate half of the laundry soap and dissolve the resulting shavings in a bucket filled with warm water.
The solution should be infused for half an hour, and then it must be passed through a sieve or gauze cloth. An alternative soap replacement is provided – this is a washing gel.
Foam of any dishwashing detergent is also suitable for washing, based on no abrasive particles or granules. After using this type of product, the initial shine of the surface will help to give a dry cloth made of flannel, which is used to wipe the treated area..
The ceilings are cleaned from the dust generated during the repair work with a vacuum cleaner. With this type of cleaning, do not touch the ceiling covering with the nozzle with a soft bristle brush, otherwise it will contribute to the formation of serious damage to the surface..
Of course, it is better to clean stretch ceilings with preparations recommended by manufacturers. It is these products that neutralize odors and can cope with soot and yellow spots formed from nicotine..
Manufacturers advise using a special composition for each type of surface, containing additional components to avoid the formation of stains and streaks after processing. Before using specialized products, you must familiarize yourself with the rules of use. Strict adherence to the instructions of the substance and the absence of exceeding the indicated dosage guarantee a brilliant result..
How to wash properly?
Before carrying out the correct washing of the stretch ceiling, you need to stock up on a certain set of materials:
- special sponge;
- suede or flannel fabric;
- vacuum cleaner or mop;
Ceiling cleaning methods directly depend on its type and degree of pollution:
- To remove dust or streaks, moisten a cloth with water and wash the contaminated area with it. After processing, wipe the surface with a dry cloth.
- A vacuum cleaner or a mop will help get rid of the impressive layer of dust formed after the repair.. Better to use a vacuum cleaner. Its soft brush head should be 3 cm from the ceiling surface. Failure to follow this rule could result in a sagging ceiling or severe damage. When removing dust with a mop, it is recommended to be careful not to touch the sharp corners of the fixture with the ceiling surface.
Stains can be removed with a cloth and detergent. It is recommended to wipe the ceiling with gentle and careful movements. After the work done, the ceiling must be wiped dry.
- To add a shine to the surface, saturate the sponge with a window cleaner. or with a 10% solution of ammonia. When working with ammonia, it is necessary to take precautions: wear personal protective equipment and ensure good ventilation of the room. After the procedure, the ceiling is thoroughly wiped with a dry cloth.
- A rag soaked in a previously diluted dishwashing detergent will cope with greasy stains. After cleaning the rag with a detergent, it is necessary to squeeze it out well and walk the rag along the ceiling, making light movements along the contaminated area. Do not press hard, otherwise the surface will be damaged.
- If you need to remove cobwebs from the corner, it is better to get to this place with a rag than with a vacuum cleaner or a mop.
Regardless of the type of ceiling covering, it is impossible to remove stains and dirt from the inside of the surface. The only way to solve this problem is to remove the ceiling..
There are basic rules, the observance of which guarantees the safe removal of dirt from the ceiling:
- movements must be made from one corner to another;
- when using a window cleaner, it is recommended to spray it no more than two or three times and walk over the surface with a rag or sponge, while making circular movements;
- using soft paper and reducing the intensity of spraying will get rid of streaks.
Cleansing different types of canvases
Correct removal of contaminants from the surface of ceilings is possible by identifying the differences between them and taking into account the peculiarities of their structures. According to the material of the canvas, two types of such a coating are distinguished:
Recently, satin stretch ceilings have been very popular, which have all the advantages of PVC ceilings, and their appearance resembles an expensive fabric ceiling covering.
The ceiling can be washed only when taking into account the characteristics of the material from which it is made.
In order not to harm the impeccable appearance of the glossy ceiling, it is necessary to use the correct substances and acceptable methods of their use..
The best option for dealing with dirt on this type of surface is a window treatment.. But before using it, you need to check its effect in the corner of the ceiling. It is necessary to spray a little solution (one drop) on the selected area of the surface and wait a few minutes (about 10). If this period of time did not affect the coating in any way: it did not change its shade and did not lose its shape, this tool can be used to process the entire ceiling surface.
To avoid tears, scratches and other damage to the ceiling covering, the use of universal cleaning wipes will help. These can be purchased at any hardware store..
Saturation and attractiveness of a glossy coating is able to return ammonia. When using it, you must wear personal protective equipment and during the procedure, regularly ventilate the room. Ammonia is applied to a rag, with the help of which the ceiling covering is gradually processed. Each wiped area must be wiped dry with a clean cloth. There is another way to use ammonia to give a dazzling shine to a glossy surface – dilute the alcohol in water in a ratio of 1 to 10 and wipe the surface with the resulting liquid. Alcohol can be replaced with vodka.
A vacuum cleaner will help to save dust from the glossy ceiling surface, when using which a distance of 3 cm from the nozzle to the ceiling must be observed.
Before treating a glossy surface with a specialized product, you must carefully study the instructions for its use, which is on the packaging of the substance. Mandatory fulfillment of the conditions of use and adherence to the indicated dosage will ensure the desired result..
Matt ceilings are made of polyurethane. Such a coating is not capable of attracting a lot of dust to itself, and therefore it is rather difficult to stain the matte surface. However, even the most flawless ceiling surface needs compulsory care..
Cleaning of matte ceilings is carried out using water vapor or an ordinary rag, on which a special agent has been applied that has a degreasing effect. After processing, the cleaned area is wiped dry with a cloth.
Long-lasting fabric cover is much stronger than synthetic. Maintenance of this type of surface is much more difficult. You need to wash such a ceiling extremely carefully..
To clean cloth canvases, you should not use a special washing solution for glasses, because it contains dyes that can soak it, dye it in a completely different shade and leave streaks when it gets on the cloth..
Do not scrub or wash the cloth in a circular motion, as this will smear the dirt rather than scrubbing it off. It is preferable to make movements in only one direction – this helps to effectively remove dust.
In the presence of severe contamination, use a solution of gel for washing clothes with water.. Before using this cleaning agent, it is also recommended to test its effect on a small area of the room..
On the kitchen
The kitchen is a place of rapid contamination of all types of surfaces. This problem is especially relevant in kitchens without a hood..
The main causes of contamination in the kitchen are smoke, soot, greasy stains that form during cooking. Smoke from tobacco, which provides the subsequent formation of a yellow coating, is also one of the reasons for the appearance of contamination on kitchen ceilings..
Cleaning the ceiling in the kitchen does not differ much from the same process carried out in other rooms..
The main rule is that you must not use abrasive substances, and the ceiling washing procedure is recommended to be carried out with extreme caution..
The kitchen ceiling can be cleaned using a simple and proven method – a cloth dipped in soapy water. She will need to wipe the ceiling, and at the end of the procedure you need to walk over the surface with a dry rag.
In order for the delicate surface of the stretch ceiling to remain clean and attractive for a long time, the following tips must be taken into account:
- Ceiling coverings are recommended to be treated once every 6 months..
- It must be remembered that frequent cleaning of ceilings is unacceptable, as it leads to a deterioration in the condition of the coating.
- The ceiling sheet needs constant antistatic treatment to prevent dust accumulation.
- Only specialized products for washing stretch ceilings can quickly clean any surface..
- There is one main limitation that should be observed when washing this type of ceiling – this is the prohibition of the use of hard sponges or brushes that can damage the canvas or break it..
- Products not recommended for ceiling cleaning include abrasives, laundry detergents, soda, and creams with particulate matter..
- Solutions for cleaning ceilings should not contain acetone, because it contributes to the deterioration of an attractive appearance. It is recommended to carefully study the instructions for the substance before purchasing it..
- When using an improvised tool, it is necessary to test its effect on a small area of the ceiling by applying a drop of the solution to the surface and waiting a quarter of an hour. After this action, you can evaluate the result and decide whether to use one or another cleaning method. If deformation has occurred and the shade of the canvas has changed, it means that the selected tool is not suitable for cleaning this type of surface..
- To quickly remove dirt and avoid damaging the canvas, it is necessary to use a warm liquid.
- The foam from the cleaning solution is capable of cleaning the ceiling.
- It is not recommended to use concentrated liquids, especially when it comes to the presence of photo printing on the ceiling.
- It is important to know that effective cleaning agents are based on ammonia and antistatic agents, thanks to which the cleanliness of the ceiling remains for a long time..
- When working with ammonia, be sure to wear a respirator, special glasses and rubber gloves.
- In the presence of stretch ceilings in the house, it is better to refrain from using highly heating lighting elements, breeding indoor plants with impressive dimensions and flying poultry, smoking in a room with such ceilings, careless opening of champagne, children’s games that can harm delicate surfaces.
- A special curtain should be hung in the bathroom, which excludes the possibility of spray spreading over the surface of the ceiling and the formation of stains and streaks on it..
- In the kitchen, it is imperative to install a powerful hood, which will be located above the stove..
- When processing a glossy surface, the use of sponges is prohibited, since their use can lead to the formation of small scratches..
- Cleaning of ceilings with a matte finish is carried out with a steam cleaner or a regular rag, to which a mild agent has been applied.
- The steam generator will perfectly cope with scale, greasy, oily stains.
- Remains of glue are washed off with a glass cleaner or white spirit, and at the end of the cleaning procedure, the surface to be treated is wiped dry.
- The soot stain can be removed with soapy water, which is applied to the ceiling for a third of an hour, and then it is recommended to wipe the surface with a clean, damp sponge. When getting rid of this kind of stains, scraping movements should be performed..
- Dust after repair is removed with a vacuum cleaner.
- If you find stubborn stains, it is recommended that you consult with the appropriate ceiling installer. The specialist will be able to suggest what means can be used to wash the tensioning structure with the described type of contamination.
- In the most difficult situations, a reasonable solution would be to turn to the services of a cleaning service..
From the video below you can find out a lot of useful information on stretch ceiling care.