Stretch coverings are a relatively inexpensive type of ceiling finish, and they look just perfect in every room. And by contacting specialized companies for installation services, you will spend a minimum of your efforts, time and financially be able to save. However, it will be useful to be able to do small work to eliminate coating defects, for example, holes, with your own hands..
Advantages and disadvantages of coating
Compared to other ceiling designs, this is a relatively inexpensive look. In addition to cost, its advantages include good moisture resistance of the material and a fairly long service life. For interior decoration, a large selection of colors is offered, thanks to which you will be able to perfectly fit this ceiling covering into any room design.
But with such positive qualities, the stretch ceiling also has disadvantages. After several years of use, the coating may sag. It has good sensitivity to temperature fluctuations. Such problems mainly arise due to poor-quality installation and the quality of the canvas itself.. But the main problem is its weak strength..
During operation, due to various reasons, holes or cuts may appear on the surface, and if they are large, then the stretch ceiling is destined to be completely replaced. In this case, neither stitching nor patching will help..
However, if there are small cuts or holes in the ceiling covering, then they can be repaired by stitching with further staining and stretching, or by gluing a patch and various adhesive applications..
Causes of defects
Basically, the appearance of punctures and various deformations on the tensioning material of the ceiling is facilitated by an elementary ignorance of the operating conditions or violation of the technology of the work performed and the use of low-quality material. The owners themselves sometimes cause damage to the ceiling.
- The hole can be caused by an ordinary cork that has flown out when opening champagne. The reason may be active children’s games with tossing sharp and hard objects. Even a heavily tossed ball can deform the surface. It also happens that in the midst of a noisy party, one of the guests can accidentally jump up and punch a hole in the ceiling with his hand..
- Carrying out repair or installation work in the house also contributes to the emergence of a high risk of penetration or breakthrough, for example, installing a cornice, moving tall furniture or other similar structures, and much more..
Therefore, you need to be extremely careful to prevent damage to your property. But the human factor is not the only option when you can spoil the surface of a stretch ceiling..
When performing finishing work, the company that installs the ceilings is obliged to provide a guarantee of the quality of installation and material. Under certain circumstances, for reasons beyond your control of a deteriorated ceiling covering, they will be obliged to remake it free of charge under the warranty provided..
These reasons include:
- strong constriction of the material during installation;
- incorrect cutting of the material;
- seams on the material that do not meet the quality standard;
- manufacturing defects.
If the ceiling was broken through no fault of yours and during the warranty period, then the company is obliged to pull it over at its own expense. In the case of acquiring a tension base of poor quality, after some time, sagging or sticking to the main ceiling may form. Such circumstances also apply to warranty and free elimination..
Elimination of holes and cuts in the fabric
If you yourself accidentally made a small incision or torn the fabric, then you can eliminate the resulting defect yourself. This is not a very difficult type of repair that may be necessary. And if you carefully approach this process (a small seam and paint perfectly matching in color), then the traces of your intervention will be almost invisible to the eyes.
For small cuts or breaks, prepare scotch tape, find matching synthetic threads, scissors, a sewing needle, special glue, a piece of suitable fabric slightly larger in relation to the gap, a paint roller and paint to match the canvas.
The order is as follows:
- At the initial stage of the procedure for removing the hole, you need to carefully detach the coating in this place from the profile.
- Then the hole from the cut must be sealed with tape in order to prevent its enlargement. If the cut is less than two centimeters in length, it is carefully stitched with threads. If the diameter of the punched hole is more than two centimeters, a patch is glued to either side with a special glue.
- In the presence of cuts or torn places up to 30 cm, a patch is applied, which is sewn with a needle and thread. And the best way is to use a similar fabric, a piece of which could remain after installing the stretch ceiling. The patch must be cut slightly larger than the hole made.
- When gluing, it is better to use transparent glue brands, which do not harden when dried, but remain soft. For this option, “Moment” or any other rubber-based glue is optimal..
- To prevent the appearance of wrinkles on the canvas, the glued area must be gently smoothed, but do not press too hard on the edges, thus you can deform the canvas..
- After the performed operations, the ceiling covering is attached back to its place to the profile.
- Then you can start hiding your work. When choosing a patch and threads, it is very difficult to find a similar color and tone, therefore, the place of the applied patch must be painted over with paint that matches the color of the ceiling canvas. For these purposes, it is advisable to use a roller or spray gun, then the paint will lay down evenly and help hide the defect.
Another good way to hide such holes is to use a variety of glowing stickers. The glued applique will not only hide the defect, but also become a spectacular decoration of the ceiling covering. And so that it does not look too lonely on the ceiling, stick a few more of the same applications around the perimeter of the ceiling. The resulting composition will add integrity and completeness to the ceiling decor.
PVC ceiling repair
Stretch ceiling made of polyvinyl chloride film is characterized by greater resistance and strength compared to a covering made of fabric. And if you still managed to make a hole on it or tear it, then the repair in this case will be much more difficult and will require certain skills and great care.
The best way out of this situation is to hand over repairs to the hands of specialists. They will carry out this procedure quickly, efficiently and with a guarantee. But if you decide to carry out the repair work yourself, then prepare the necessary tools for this: construction tape or insulating tape, scissors, household or construction hair dryer, glue and self-adhesive applique.
If the hole or cut is at a distance of no more than 150 mm from the plinth, then first they must be sealed with tape in order to avoid a greater spread of the torn area. Then it is necessary to disconnect the plinth opposite the hole and, with all precautions, remove the canvas from the profile. Using a hair dryer, heat the PVC cloth for a few minutes until it becomes flexible and resilient. Then it will be necessary to slowly and carefully pull the covering towards the wall until the hole is behind the profile. Then all that remains is to install the plinth in place and cut off the remaining film.
But this method is not suitable for hiding holes located at a distance of more than 15 cm from the wall: there is a high risk of tearing the canvas completely. Such holes are hidden with a self-adhesive applique. Also, this method does not hide the parted fabric at the seam site. In this situation, you can hide the hole by attaching additional elements to this area: for example, a false fire alarm box, a ventilation window or a spotlight, or use an application of adhesive pictures.
When gluing applications, be careful not to be too zealous when smoothing, because by pressing hard on the PVC, you can tear it again.
Installation of additional decorative elements
In order to skillfully disguise a torn or punctured section of the canvas, you can use auxiliary deceptive elements, thanks to which, a sense of the integrity of the stretch ceiling will be created. These can be the structures indicated just above and various decorative elements..
The easiest and most practical way is to cover the rush with a decorative lamp. To mount it, you will need a plastic ring fixed so that the center of the hole is inside. A circle is cut inside the ring: this will prevent the torn hole from enlarging. Then, wires for the future lamp are drawn on the rough ceiling, and the finished canvas is pulled.
The base for the lamp is groped and a marker marks the place of the cut for the hole for the wire, where the plastic ring is then glued. A hole is cut inside the ring, wires are pulled out, and a lamp is attached.
A similar procedure is performed when bypassing the heating pipes that are in each room. For this, a plastic ring is made of a slightly larger diameter than that of the pipe. The stretching material is filled into the baguette along the entire length, and a distance of 20 cm is left at the pipe on both sides. The ceiling slab is cut from the edge to the pipe. Then the ring with a pre-made slot is put on the pipe and glued tightly in the place of the cut.
All types of ceiling panel repair should be treated with the utmost seriousness and accuracy.. Any material of the stretch ceiling is very capricious and with a slight oversight, all the mistakes made are immediately manifested.
- When repairing torn areas, it is necessary to concentrate as much as possible on the process.
- If you accidentally poke holes in the ceiling, then repair work is best done with someone in a pair. The ideal option is to seek professional help. He can easily remove this kind of defect from the coating, and you will be firmly convinced that the sealed hole will absolutely not be noticeable to others..
- Before repairing, be sure to watch videos with similar types of work on the Internet..
- To close up errors, use high-quality and proven materials that have already been used in this type of work. If you fix the ceiling using the above methods, then it will serve you for many more years..
You will learn more about how to patch up a hole in a stretch ceiling in the following video..