Today in the construction industry, a substance such as silicone sealant is often used. It is also actively used in everyday life, since it can be used to create a good sealing of cracks or to reliably protect certain surfaces from the effects of an aggressive type of environment. But it often happens that during repair work, it becomes necessary to remove such a composition that was applied earlier. And the question arises, how to remove it from this or that surface.
If you need a substance that looks like glue, which will make it possible to glue something or seal the seams between the bathroom and the tile or two pieces of tile, then silicone sealant is an excellent solution. It makes it possible to obtain an excellent connection, and is even suitable for surfaces of a glossy type. Silicone is not afraid of moisture at all and makes the connection not only airtight, but also really strong. It has high elasticity, which makes it possible to use it when working with moving parts. It is for these reasons that this composite type polymer material is actively used both for domestic purposes and in construction. If you need to rinse it off immediately after application, then this will be quite simple. And if he managed to harden, you will have to seriously try.
How to remove?
The silicone-based option under consideration has an excellent degree of adhesion to various materials. At room temperature, it hardens rather quickly. Due to the fact that silicone itself interacts rather unimportantly with all sorts of chemical and dissolving compounds, it is, in principle, not easy to clean it. Therefore, you have to use a special agent to remove this substance. But the trick is that even this does not always make it possible to erase such glue from the treated surface. For this reason, the removal of the adhesive composition can be carried out in each case by different methods. It must be remembered how to handle a knife for cleaning, as the risk of deformation of the coating increases..
It is worth noting that there are a certain number of techniques that make it possible to remove the remnants of such a composition from a particular surface or product. One of the most common methods is to use a variety of sharp objects to scrape off the adhesive. These include a knife, screwdriver, or any other similar remover. But this method has one significant drawback – the surface is scratched and its attractiveness is greatly reduced. And physical damage can be very serious. For this reason, it is necessary to use such a method only in cases where the appearance of the surface and its damage do not have any special significance..
There is another technique that allows you to remove the hardened sealant.. This can be done using ordinary table salt. You should wet it a little, then wrap it in a clean cloth – a tampon or gauze, and start rubbing over the place where there is an old sealant. When rubbing, force should be applied so that the movements are circular. When cleaning is complete, oily stains will remain on the surface, which can be cleaned with dishwashing liquid..
Table salt is just an example. In fact, there are many more ways.
If we talk about tools, then the following can be applied:
- knives of various types;
- iron scrubber, which usually allows you to wash pots;
- plastic scraper;
If we talk about a plastic scraper, then it is used after heating the problem area with a building hairdryer, when the material has already softened. If we talk about chemicals, then to obtain the desired result, you can use special means, which must have the same marking as the sealant.
In addition, solvents of this type do a good job with this purpose, such as:
- White Spirit.
In some cases, their use will bring even better results than some expensive means. You can use a chemical-based product to remove residues of this type of adhesive. The same white spirit, which was mentioned above, can effectively remove the substance in question from tiles, acrylic bathtubs, plastic and other surfaces. At the same time, the use of white spirit on surfaces on which paint has already been applied is very undesirable, since the paint will definitely peel off after its application. It is easy to apply – just moisten a swab and wipe the place where the sealant is located. Now you should wait 40-60 seconds and remove the glue, which will just soften with a blade or sharp knife.
But as mentioned above, in the place where the sealant was, there will be a grease stain. In principle, it can be removed using the same white spirit. It is enough to moisten a cloth with it and wipe the surface. And if the glue was applied recently, it did not have time to solidify properly, then an attempt can be made to remove it with acetone or table vinegar. All these funds have a rather strong and pungent smell of a specific plan. Therefore, you should think in advance so that the ventilation in the room is of high quality. It will not be superfluous to have a respiratory mask with you, as acetone can cause allergies.
Now on the market you can find all sorts of tools that exactly help soften and wash the sealant. They make it possible to remove glue from different surfaces. But when selecting them, it is necessary to read the instructions so that during further use it does not damage the surface that will be processed. The most common products are Gasket Remover, Quilosa, Antisil, Lugato, Dow Corning OS-2, and Penta 840. It should also be noted that it is better to buy this type of product from manufacturers from abroad. Although the price will be significantly higher, the result of their application will be more effective..
How to scrub at home?
It should be noted that cleaning any surface of the sealant at home can be quite difficult. And the problem is not even that the methods may simply be inaccessible due to their high cost or complexity, but that it is not always possible to determine the brand and composition of a particular sealant. It is necessary to choose the most effective cleaner for it, which can really simply remove excess sealant without any special difficulties and damage to the surface where it is located. It is worth taking a closer look at how to remove silicone-based sealant from certain surfaces..
From bath and various surfaces
For many, the question of how to dissolve such a substance with a bath is very relevant, if it is located at the junction between the walls or a pallet. Usually here the surface darkens if the composition comes off and a gap appears where water flows in. If desired, you can use a screwdriver or knife to remove from the shower stall and tiles. Plus, using a pumice stone can also be a good option. First, you need to remove the layer of material, gently pick it up with a screwdriver and try to tear off everything, or at least clean the areas where this can be done in general. If you can’t remove the problem just like that, then the sealant is easy to cut. To do this, insert a screwdriver into the hole between the wall and the pallet, and the remains can be removed using the same pumice stone..
It should be noted that cleaning work must be carried out as carefully as possible so as not to deform the surface. To remove silicone in the bathroom, chemical compounds can be used to remove dried glue with their help..
If it is not clear how to remove from the tile, then you will need to carry out such rather simple actions as:
- first you need to remove the excess sealant so as not to deform the surface;
- when the entire layer is removed, you can use the same white spirit or kerosene;
- it is necessary to rub with a rag until the remnants of the substance soften so that they can be removed; for this, by the way, you can use a wood scraper, which will protect the surface from scratching.
If there is a need to remove the silicone, then you can use the same kerosene or gasoline. They just need to be rubbed into the tile where it is until the hardened substance becomes softer. You can use “Penta 840”, but you must first ask how the surface of the bath will react to it. If the surface is unstable to the effects of the drug, then it will crack, so you should be extremely careful. If it is necessary to remove such a composition from a plastic surface, then all actions are performed relatively easier due to the low adhesion rates. Plastic pallets, pipes and other objects can be easily cleaned of glue if you apply a solvent on them and wait 60 minutes or even less. After that, traces of adhesive solution can be simply removed with a degreaser..
If you need to remove the sealant residues from a mirror or glass, for example, from the wall of an aquarium, then it is better to use a blade.
It is worth paying attention to such points as:
- removal can take a long time;
- there is a high probability that this type of surface could be scratched.
It is best to remove the glue from this type of surface with white spirit or gasoline. Getting these funds, in general, is not a problem. How to remove silicone with their help was described above. Alternatively, you can use a construction hairdryer, which will make it possible to warm up the sealant. You can then gently pry the sealant off the edge so that it easily comes off the glass or mirror surface. To remove traces, you can use white spirit.
Various solvents are used to remove silicone from the countertop. Know what the sealant is made of.
If the substances belong to the category of petroleum products, then they can be removed using refined gasoline as follows:
- first apply the solvent to a cloth;
- wipe the desired area and leave it for 5-30 minutes;
- after that, you need to take a spatula, scraper or spatula and carefully remove the sealant.
But this technique will be effective only if the sealant has not yet dried. If a certain time has passed, then in order to remove the silicone, it is necessary to cut off the top layer with a knife, and then use a solvent and wash off the residues with any detergent that dissolves fats..
To show you how to remove a silicone-based sealant from metal, consider an example of a bathtub made of steel or cast iron. They are cleaned using abrasive and chemical based materials. But you need to be careful not to scratch the surface..
To remove sealant from metal, use the following instructions:
- using a blade or knife, you need to cut off the maximum possible layer of sealant;
- the remains should be attempted to be scraped off with a scouring pad made of iron or a plastic spatula;
- you need to get rid of traces using fine emery or pumice.
After this procedure, grease stains also remain, which can be easily removed with a product designed for cleaning the plates. It is allowed to use baking soda, but this option will be more expensive in time. If you decide to use chemistry, then it is better to use some kind of solvent, which should be applied to the sealed seam. After a day, just remove such a strip with a spatula or a wooden spatula. The greasy layer, in general, is not a problem to remove with liquids containing alcohol..
From hands and clothes
To remove the substance in question from a fabric or cover, if the contamination is fresh, you should immediately remove the wardrobe item and wet it with hot water. If it is already frozen, then the sealant cannot be removed from the things without a special solvent. It is quite dangerous to use chemistry of some aggressive category due to the fact that it can easily destroy the structure of the fabric, so you first need to apply it to some inconspicuous area of clothing. If everything is in order, then the contaminated area should be soaked in solvent, after about half an hour, scrub it with a brush. And only then the thing should be simply washed. But without a solvent, it is unlikely to be able to wash off anything..
If it is impossible to use a solvent, then the thing must be cleaned according to the following algorithm:
- lay clothes on the surface;
- stretch it a little;
- very carefully, using a scraper or a blunt edge of a knife, try to remove dirt;
- wipe off traces of an oily character with vinegar or alcohol, after making sure that they can be used;
- after that, the clothes should be soaked for several hours, after which they should be washed normally.
There is another option that allows you to remove the remnants of the sealant from the clothes..
Follow these steps:
- first you need to put your clothes in the freezer section of the refrigerator for 3-4 hours;
- then scrape off the sealant with a scraper;
- it is necessary to pour hydrogen peroxide on the sealant stain and wait until it disappears;
- after that, the clothes should be washed.
Now it’s worth considering how to wash your hands of the sealant. If the substance did not have time to solidify, then you need to take a simple cellophane bag and make the silicone stick to it, and then tear off the bag with it. If the pollution has already seriously dried out, then you should take table salt (about 2-3 tablespoons and dissolve it in a quarter of a liter of water). Next, you need to put your hands there and hold for about 12-17 minutes. After that, you need to take a brush and rub the place of pollution with it..
It is worth trying to wash your hands with laundry soap and pumice.. First you need to soap your hands, then pick up a pumice stone and process them. If the above methods did not help to achieve the desired result, then you should warm up the vegetable oil, then lubricate your hands with it, and wait for the reaction to begin. After that, all that remains is to wash your hands with soap, shower gel or scrub. Be careful not to burn yourself while heating the oil. And in no case should chemical solvents be used to remove the sealant from the skin..
Tips & Tricks
When repairs are carried out, there is simply no time to scrub the various surfaces from the sealant. It’s better to just avoid such contamination..
Masters recommend adhering to the following tips:
- all actions must be performed with gloves;
- it will not be superfluous if the sealant is smeared or dripped somewhere, immediately remove it with a rag that was previously moistened with vinegar;
- it is better not to throw away labels from cylinders with sealant, so that, if necessary, you can choose the most effective solvent;
- in order to carry out the work on sealing the seams neatly, you can use a special masking tape, which will make the seams even and perfect;
- stains that remain from glue can be removed with an iron; first you need to apply a solvent to the sealant and put a paper sheet on top, on which you should walk with a heated iron;
- excess silicone can be removed by treating the desired area with hydrogen peroxide;
- when working with gasoline, kerosene, white spirit and other caustic substances, you should have a respirator with you, since these substances have a very strong and strong odor, which can cause significant discomfort when working with them.
Famous manufacturers and reviews
Today, products of both Russian and foreign brands are presented on the domestic market..
Among the most popular companies are several.
- Moment sealants have a silicone base and can be produced not only in Russia, but also in the Czech Republic, Germany, Belgium. They are used for various purposes, including for work in rooms with high humidity. Sealants are available in tubes of various sizes..
- Ceresit brand products are popular among professional builders. It is produced in Germany and is used for sealing and gluing various decorative elements. The main disadvantage is that this sealant is not suitable for food surfaces..
- Tytan sealant is produced in Poland and can be of two categories: silicone-based and acrylic-based. User reviews about them are the most positive. The only drawback is the small volume of the tube – no more than 0.3 liters.
- Turkish manufacturer Ciki Fix produces good sealants that are excellent value for money solutions. They are produced within the sanitary list of norms. They are often used as an adhesive..
It should be said that the products of such brands as Penosil, Soudal, Makroflex, HG and so on are presented on the market.. These companies have created a wide range of silicone-based sealants for a variety of purposes. There are products of slightly less well-known brands on the market, which also deserve attention due to the high quality of sealants, as well as their excellent properties..
Removing silicone sealant is not an easy task. Of course, everything will depend on what type of composition was used, what properties it has and on what surface it was applied. All this makes it possible to say that the removal of the sealant should be thought out even at the stage of its application. There are many ways to remove such substances that allow you to maintain the shape of the surface on which it was applied..
For information on how and how to remove silicone sealant, see the next video.