Any fantastic idea can be brought to life using material such as drywall. Now it is used in almost any finishing work, including in the design of the ceiling. He is able to create the perfect ceiling relief of any design. The bedroom is the main place in the apartment, and the mood of its guests will depend on how to arrange it..
Features: pros and cons
A plasterboard ceiling can be:
- straight, made in one plane;
- curvilinear, with a bevel, which can often be observed in attic rooms;
- multi-level that will look fantastic in any room.
Consider the advantages of these ceilings and, perhaps, find their disadvantages.
- Reduced time spent on repairing the ceiling. Often, when repairing a ceiling, preliminary operations are required: eliminating irregularities, cleaning roughnesses, plastering, whitewashing, and others. All this can be avoided by using drywall..
- Ease of repair execution. It is very easy to work with drywall, it is perfectly cut with an ordinary clerical knife, and then breaks into pieces of any shape of the desired area.
- All electrical wiring can be easily hidden under drywall sheets, as well as any other communications.
- Convenient installation of lamps. Luminaires of any type will easily fit into the structure of such a ceiling. And its plasterboard surface will allow you to install both recessed lamps and LED strips, and a chandelier. And all this can be installed at the same time. Such lighting will add a special style to your bedroom..
- The shape of the ceiling can be any. Due to its plastic qualities, drywall can be bent and give the ceiling almost any shape.
- Multilevel surface. Plasterboard takes a leading place in the creation of multi-level ceilings due to its simplicity in performing such work. This will also affect the price of the work. A multi-level surface, when done correctly, can visually expand the space of a room.
- Available dismantling. Due to the ease of fastening (on self-tapping screws), it will be easy to disassemble such a ceiling if you suddenly think to change it a little or replace the wiring.
- Good sound insulation.
- Environmentally friendly material. In its composition, gypsum plasterboards contain only gypsum and cardboard, which is absolutely safe for your health..
- Another feature of such a ceiling is the ability to hide any imperfections of the previous surface..
With these advantages, the plasterboard ceiling still has its drawbacks, which must be taken into account..
The main cons.
- Despite all the design tricks to visually expand the space, in fact, it will still decrease. The top of the room will become 5-15 centimeters lower due to the peculiarities of its installation.
- Despite the good sound insulation, the moisture resistance of this material leaves much to be desired. Therefore, if neighbors flood you, the material will deteriorate, and the ceiling will have to be dismantled..
- It is undesirable to make plasterboard ceilings in newly built houses. The building takes time to shrink. During this process, drywall may crack..
Types of structures
Plasterboard ceiling designs are distinguished by the type of their shape.
- Suspended single-level ceiling coverings are smooth and without frills, simple and reliable in their performance. Ideal for small bedrooms.
- Multilevel ceiling coverings. They are also called stepped or multi-tiered. They can be performed in two or three steps. Such ceilings look truly luxurious and unusual..
Such a geometric design, combined with various waves, zigzags, mirrors and other decorative elements, will let the design imagination run wild..
- Curly ceiling coverings are the most difficult to get the job done. It takes some skill to cut an irregular shape out of drywall, such as a butterfly, and attach it to the ceiling. However, it will be truly stylish and unique..
When you make a renovation, then ask the master to make just such a ceiling covering.
Sizes and shapes
For small bedrooms, a single-level ceiling is suitable, which is the simplest in its shape. In small “Khrushchev” buildings, multilevel ceilings should not be planned. Such designs will look oppressive and cumbersome in the room. But in modern spacious new buildings or in studio apartments, multi-tiered ceilings will be pleasing to the eye.
But even in a small bedroom, there are options for a multi-level ceiling covering that will look great. However, such a design must have smooth lines, and the second step should not protrude much from the surface of the first.
Now let’s move on to the visual aspects.. The special arrangement of the second ceiling tier will help us to create the illusion of a wide space..
- Place the structure of the second tier of the ceiling where there is a wardrobe, an armchair, a chest of drawers, a TV or a floor lamp in the bedroom. This will create the effect of two spatial zones and it will seem that the room is larger..
- Let the construction of the second tier around the entire perimeter of the bedroom, endowing it with spotlights.
- Divide the ceiling space with a second tier into two different parts diagonally.
Forms of plasterboard ceiling covering in bedrooms for 12 sq. m usually have smooth oval bends, rounded lines, harmoniously intersecting with each other. Compared to sharp corners, such designs are pleasing to the eye and allow you to relax. However, there are also lovers of standard geometric shapes on the ceiling. This solution for a 3-meter bedroom is not very popular..
A common option is also a concave ceiling, which will visually add additional height. And if you need to cut ceiling centimeters in certain places, a convex ceiling will come to the rescue.
Style and design
The design of the ceiling of the bedroom must begin with the choice of design, it is advisable to apply new items. Drywall allows you to perform it in a wide variety of ways. The main value when choosing the shape of the ceiling structure is the height and area of the bedroom.
Choosing an idea is not as easy as it might seem at first glance.. After all, when thinking through it, you need to take into account everything to the smallest detail: the shape of the bedroom, the design of the ceiling, the location of lamps for the distribution of light in different areas of the bedroom, the location of mirrors, and the like..
Only having formed the harmony of all this in your head, you can start to work..
The style of the ceiling structure should match the overall design of the bedroom. For example, if your bedroom is made in a baroque style, prone to excess, then, undoubtedly, it is worth resorting to a multi-tiered ceiling. But the minimalism style will not tolerate such a decision. In this case, it would be wise to choose a classic single-level ceiling. In children’s rooms, a curly ceiling with images of various flora and fauna will be a wonderful solution..
The choice of the color of the ceiling is also important: it creates the basis for comfort. It is known that the mental state of a person largely depends on the color of the room he is in..
- Red. This color scheme is undesirable for bedrooms, as it is considered aggressive and emotionally exciting. However, if you love this color, you can use its softer shades, be it pink, alizarin cinnamon or cinnabar. Also, this color will look good on concave elements of the ceiling structure..
- Yellow. One of the nicest bedroom colors. It relaxes well, creates a feeling of warmth and comfort. Combined with darker shades (mustard, vanilla, sand, blue) and orange tones, it will look great on multi-tiered ceilings.
- Green. The color of natural vegetation also has a beneficial effect on humans. This color scheme will be ideal if there are large broadleaf plants in the bedroom. It is better to choose a shade for him of a light herbal scale..
- Blue. A good solution for the ceiling in the bedroom. It will be especially useful in low rooms. The heavenly color will visually expand the space, giving it inaccessibility and serenity. However, this color is cold, so dilute it with bright decorative elements of warm colors..
Tips & Tricks
After completing the installation work, the ceiling needs to be transformed into a color scheme. For the color scheme, it is recommended to use water-based acrylic paints. Before painting or wallpapering it, do not forget to putty the joints and apply several coats of primer.
If you decide to use spotlights, opt for LEDs. They use less energy, which will save you.
Before installation work, make sure that there are no smooth transitions and curves between the wall and the ceiling. A 90-degree joint will provide the smallest distance between the previous ceiling and drywall, respectively, the useful area of the room will be larger.
When fixing drywall sheets with self-tapping screws, it often happens that it is pressed through more than necessary: this entails cracking of the sheet. Therefore, when working with a screwdriver, use a special nozzle with a limiter.
- A vivid example of the magnificent execution of a plasterboard multi-level structure for a small bedroom. The design solution is to visually enlarge the space. The effect was achieved by installing a second tier around the perimeter of the room with built-in lamps.
- The single-level ceiling design looks great in white. Style – minimalism.
- Luxurious tiered ceiling for a spacious bedroom. The ceiling in this style is called soaring..
For information on how to install a plasterboard ceiling, see the following video.