If in the recent past the only possible lighting fixture on the ceiling was a chandelier, then progress and new technologies have changed everything. Now you can equip ceilings with different types of lighting. To choose a beautiful and comfortable lighting that meets your requirements, you need to find out what types of lighting are, and what are their features.
Features and Benefits
Previously, wall sconces and various floor lamps were added to the chandelier to increase the illumination of the room. And often these devices served only for their intended purpose. In addition, the backlight also performs a decorative function..
Various lighting methods combined with ceiling decoration can make the design of the room unique, interesting, and even change the mood of the people entering it..
The main advantages of using the backlight:
- the possibility of mounting both visible and hidden light sources. In this case, the main function is not lost;
- most types of lighting fixtures can be installed with your own hands, without having the skills and not knowing much about electricity;
- the use of backlighting as the main type of lighting;
- the choice of colors is almost unlimited. Thus, it becomes possible to diversify the design as much as possible and emphasize some individual interior elements;
- modern lamps are very economical, so you will not notice an increase in the cost of electricity bills;
- can be decorated with lighting designs of any shape and size;
- the price for many types of lamps is affordable;
- the devices are reliable and durable. For years, you can forget about changing lamps and minor repairs;
- the colors and directions of certain types of lighting can be changed. It is also possible to set various light options (light up individual parts of the structure, turn on the change of light, etc.) using the control panel;
- decorative lighting does an excellent job with the function of zoning rooms. With its help, you can select a dining area, a place to relax, a work desk and other corners of the apartment;
- devices are safe to use.
The only point to pay attention to is choice of lighting color. If you want to stay with lamps of unusual colors like red, pink, green and others, consider changing them or alternating with ordinary light. What at first seems spectacular and unusual begins to irritate and tire the eye..
Types of coatings
Installation of built-in lighting, as a rule, involves complex ceiling structures. It is not possible to equip wiring and other hidden elements in the whitewashed ceiling. Let’s take a look at the different types of coatings that come with built-in lighting:
- The most common type is plasterboard ceiling. Sheets are mounted on frame guides, usually made of galvanized metal, to obtain durability and reliability. The use of thin metal profiles allows you to give them any bends and shapes. The ceiling can be single-level, double, triple and more, if the height allows. Plasterboard finishes require a fine finish. With the help of paint, they can be given any color and texture (glossy or matte shine, overflows). In a wet state, the gypsum board can be bent, and after drying it will take on the given shapes. Thus, they equip various bends, waves and other elements..
Designers love suspended ceilings for the ability to realize almost any fantasy.
- Cassette ceiling. Such ceilings are made on the basis of a frame, on which rectangular or square cassettes are installed. They are made of aluminum or galvanized metal, as well as using mirrored surfaces. The decor is carried out due to several embossed patterns and staining in any color.
The cassette variety also includes mirrored ceilings. Instead of cassettes, mirrors are attached, giving the room a fabulous atmosphere. Mirror surfaces are capable of reflecting light and visually expanding the space.
Installation of cassette coverings is quite simple; it is also not difficult to replace damaged elements. Blades are durable, reliable and easy to maintain.
- Rack ceiling. Consists of individual strips made of galvanized materials, aluminum or plastic. Structural elements have a small thickness of no more than 0.5 mm and are attached to a metal base. The advantage of this type of ceiling is its durability and wear resistance. The coating does not deform from humidity, temperature changes, frost, and is fire resistant. The color scheme is very diverse.
But the most popular are shades of gold, silver, imitation of chrome plating. In the interior, such a finish will look rich and impressive..
- Wooden ceiling can be distinguished as a subspecies of rack and pinion. Wooden boards have their own advantages over metal and plastic. The greatest advantage is the environmental friendliness of natural material, the ability to pass air, steam and moisture. Modern trendy eco-style is best suited for this kind of coatings..
- Stretch ceiling the most demanded type of finishing now. Consumers are attracted by the range of possibilities for the design of such coatings. A PVC film is stretched over the timber, creating a perfectly smooth and even surface. With the help of photo printing technologies, you can apply any pattern to canvases: flowers, sky, stars, streaks, landscapes and even 3D installations. The color can also be deep, saturated, bright and pastel..
The glossy version looks advantageous, and for lovers of traditional finishes, you can choose a matte or satin light canvas.
Manufacturers guarantee a long product life on average from 10 years.
- Acrylic ceilings. Plexiglass plates are used as suspension elements. They are mounted on metal guides. With the help of modern technologies, you can create any patterns, textures and colors of glass panels.
Matte translucent products are especially popular for backlit installations. The transparent effect combined with soft light gives the room lightness, airiness and depth.
Varieties of lamps
There are several types of luminaires for ceiling installation.
The most well-known type of lighting. Until now, they can be found in almost every apartment. It is quite simple to install such a structure, and a huge selection of models will allow you to choose a product that meets all your preferences in color and style..
Meet chandeliers – models on chains or cords with a different number of shades from a variety of materials. Often suitable for high ceilings.
The second kind – ceiling chandelier. Ceiling mounted on platforms, with a wide variety of choices and suitable for low walls. Nowadays, LED products are gaining popularity, characterized by an increased service life without dismantling..
Classic models – those to which we are most accustomed. On a metal case, from one to 6-7 shades of various shapes are adjacent, to the ceiling they are usually suspended from a hook.
It is carried out due to a variety of small-sized lamps in one or more copies. This type of lighting can be either independent or complement another type, for example a chandelier. There are several types of lamps:
- Overhead they are mounted directly on the ceiling surface and are used when it is impossible to make a hole in the base. Consist of a plafond and a plate.
- Recessed lighting – the most common point option. Suitable for all types of ceilings that have a free space between the base and the decorative canvas (suspended, tension, slatted and others).
- Pendant lights also have small dimensions, the cover itself is located at a distance from the base and is connected to it with a cord.
Quite an interesting kind of lighting, especially in large tall rooms.
The convenience of spot lighting lies in the fact that there are lamps with the ability to control the incidence of light. The easiest option is to install a monolithic device that will always shine in one direction. A more complex design is a rotary luminaire. The angle of incidence of light from it can be changed according to needs.
Also, spotlights can be installed inside the ceiling covering, outside the light can penetrate through translucent figured inserts, various openings and other decor. Such interior lighting is especially relevant in modern interior styles and children’s.
Not so long ago, this type of lighting began to be used in home design, although tracks have been used for a long time to illuminate industrial buildings, retail outlets and office sites. The system is a metal rail on which the lighting fixtures are mounted. The appearance may vary depending on the connection method. Different types of lighting can be attached to the system to cover all areas of the room.
Almost any shape and variety of lighting colors are available to designers. The devices are reliable, durable and economical.
The first type of flexible luminaires is a strip consisting of a sequence of LEDs. There are two main varieties: SMD and RGB. They differ in that SMD tapes are monochrome and are found in white, blue, red and green. And the second variety is multi-colored (a combination of red, green and blue). Most often, the tape is accompanied by a control panel that regulates which color is on, the number of LEDs working and the light intensity..
With the help of LED strips, contour lighting is equipped. The tape is mounted in specially prepared recesses along the perimeter or along the contour, while the light is directed to the ceiling. The effect is amazing, especially when using bright colors. To get a glow along the ceiling, you can equip a directional lighting. In this case, it is located on the protruding part of the multilevel ceiling. This option looks spectacular in the bedroom above the bed..
Duralight refers to the moisture-resistant type of tape. It is hidden in a tube-shaped polymer casing.
It is convenient to use in direct contact with water (in a pool, aquarium, shower).
Neon tube – the second kind of flexible luminaire. The glass cavities are filled with glowing gas. It is possible to change the brightness of the glow. Systems usually consume a lot of energy. Fragile glass and uneconomic properties make them an unpopular type of ceiling decoration..
Chandeliers and spotlights use several types of lamps with different characteristics:
- Incandescent lamps. The most budgetary of all. The defining characteristics for the choice of lamps are power and service life. Incandescent lamps are available from 15 to 500 watts. In everyday life, up to 150 watts are used. Typically, 40-60 W bulbs are used in lighting fixtures. The service life, as a rule, does not exceed 1000 hours and depends on the voltage drop, ambient temperature and mechanical stress. Such a lamp gets very hot during operation, so not all types of ceilings can be equipped with it..
- Halogen lamps powerful enough – up to 1500 watts. At the same time, they have a very bright light, they usually last up to 2-4 thousand hours.
- LED lights the most durable. Some models can last up to 50,000 hours. In terms of energy consumption, they are very economical, they do not heat up, the power does not exceed 2000 W.
How to choose?
To choose the type of lighting for a room, you need to carefully determine its purpose and style, as well as the type of ceiling and budget..
The currently popular finishing method: stretch ceilings with hidden curtains and hidden lighting, which is mounted in a niche along with a cornice. The original design will be appropriate in any room and will not bother the owners. In this case, the easiest way is to install an LED strip as a lighting device..
You also need to be careful when choosing the color of the lighting.. Suitable for any premises and comfortable for the eyes, warm dim light with yellowness. These luminaires can be installed in recreational areas. White radiation is appropriate in the bathroom, kitchen, on the balcony, in the hall.
It will sufficiently illuminate the space, while not relaxing, but on the contrary, encouraging action..
Colored backlighting is not to everyone’s liking. Blue and red shades can cause aggression and discomfort. You can choose a blue shade for decorating work areas – it will make you focus and bring calm. Yellow and orange shades will add coziness and warmth. Pink and purple gamut will add romance and glamor.
Indoors, the backlight can be either contoured or zoned. Contour tapes with soft light for living rooms and bedrooms. If you are scared to select lamps yourself, there are ready-made sets of LED strips on the market.. There are even options for a children’s room.
In the bedroom, you can make a niche on the ceiling and decorate it with hidden lighting or vice versa directed. Children’s rooms are a special space for imagination. With the help of hidden spotlights, you can arrange the effect of a starry sky, choose beautiful patterns with acrylic inserts, emphasize a stretch canvas with a cheerful pattern with multi-colored contour lighting.
V bathroom it is better to highlight the mirror area with additional light. These can be spot devices on top or a tape stretched along the outlines of a mirrored surface with a white or bluish light, so that it is convenient to look after yourself..
if you have wardrobe or pantry, it is also possible to arrange additional built-in lamps in it, so that it is convenient to use the room.
Kitchen – a place where an LED strip or several spotlights are a must. The work surface of the kitchen unit requires additional light.
Decorative lighting has another important function – the ability to visually change the space. If you make a frame with a recess on the false ceiling and decorate the vertical part with lighting, then there will be an effect “Floating ceiling”, making space higher and airier.
Classic interior style least of all disposed to the use of decorative lighting. Here it is better to do with chic chandeliers, sconces and floor lamps. In rooms designed as a loft, rude and simple spotlights are appropriate, perhaps even on cords, as well as track systems.
Modern styles suggest any use of backlights. Minimalism will be complemented by spotlights of regular shapes with minimal decor or contour lighting in white and yellow.
Hi-tech can dilute bright colors and switching combinations.
Beautiful examples in the interior
In the bedroom, the bed area will look great, emphasized by a round niche with an imitation of the starry sky. In the evening, such lighting will give a romantic mood and tranquility..
Another great option is a drywall box that frames the bed in the shape of an arch. Several spotlights are built into it. It is both beautiful and practical. If you need to change clothes, get something, or just get up at night, you do not need to turn on the main light..
In the attic, not everyone dares to make skylights for additional light. In this case, using hidden lighting and translucent glass, you can equip a false window. It will provide additional lighting and bring freshness to the interior. The ceiling, located at an angle, will stop “pressing”.
The carved ceiling with baroque stucco molding will accentuate the contour hidden lighting. She will highlight all the curves and patterns of the rich decoration, and the golden shades in the decoration will sparkle in a new way. Classic design loves an abundance of light.
Luminous stripes will help those who decide to decorate the ceiling in a dark color.
Spotlights will give measured and sufficient lighting in the hall and corridor..
To learn how to make LED illumination of a stretch ceiling with your own hands, see the following video.