The original name “liquid cork” is a multifunctional material based on natural cork and polymers. We are used to the fact that sealants are intended for filling seams and joining surfaces, however, the possibilities of this composition are much more impressive..
Liquid cork is a type of sealant based on fine cork chips. This ensures the environmental friendliness of the material, its high thermal insulation qualities, as well as the absence of shrinkage. The elasticity and protection of the crushed cork oak bark are provided by the polymers included in the composition.
The sealant is designed to fill the joint and insulating gaps. At the same time, homeowners were able to abandon environmentally unsafe chemical analogues. It is also interesting that, having a natural origin, the liquid cork does not attract birds and rodents..
As already mentioned, natural cork provides high thermal insulation as well as sound insulation properties..
It can be used to fill joints between materials of different composition, due to the good adhesion of the sealant.
It does not shrink and is elastic, which allows it to be applied to the most common materials in construction without the risk of damage..
After hardening, a strong seam is formed that is resistant to mechanical damage and abrasion.. In this regard, if the product gets on other surfaces, it should be removed immediately, before solidification..
Among the advantages are moisture resistance, the sealant is suitable even for operation in high humidity conditions, and resistance to temperature extremes (this allows the sealant to be used not only inside, but also outside the room).
Scope of application
The demand for the material is also due to its wide range of applications..
It is suitable for the following tasks:
- increasing the thermal efficiency of premises – with internal thermal insulation, it is filled into the space between the flooring and the walls (especially if they are made of incompatible materials), filling the assembly seams when installing door and window frames (after such processing, drafts are completely eliminated);
- external thermal insulation – filling joints between elements of reinforced concrete structures;
- an increase in the sound insulation coefficient in multi-apartment buildings (the noise level is reduced by an average of 27 dB);
- use as anti-vibration floor gaskets of a car, as well as systems of mechanisms and structures;
- thermal insulation of the internal partitions of the object;
- filling grooves from the inside when erecting wooden structures.
When using liquid cork indoors, it is possible to choose it in the desired shade, which makes it possible to refuse additional decoration of the created layer.
If the color is unimportant, or if you want to preserve the shade of the cork itself, you should choose a composition on a transparent basis. In some ways, it will resemble PVC with the addition of crushed tree bark.
An indispensable sealant becomes, if necessary, to dock or fill the space between dissimilar material. For example, the transition between wood and tile flooring, between tiles and plastic panels, laminate “stripes”. Liquid cork is also suitable for filling joints between concrete and wood surfaces, providing additional strength and extending the life of the coatings. As you know, in this situation, the sealing compound must be in harmony with at least one of the adjacent materials..
You can also use a cork to fill the space between the walls and floor, walls and ceiling, eliminating the occurrence of “cold bridges” in these places and allowing you to abandon the internal insulation of the walls.
The material is not afraid of exposure to moisture and high temperatures, moreover, it has vapor barrier properties. This allows you to use it in the bathroom, in the kitchen. If cracks and defects appear on the outer surface of the walls of the building, a sealant of a suitable color can be applied in these places. They will be instantly liquidated, and the facade will be protected from the negative influence of the environment..
The versatility of the composition allows it to be used as a facade finishing material. Thus, it is possible not only to improve the appearance of the building, but also to increase its thermal insulation and ensure moisture resistance, as well as significantly reduce the level of noise penetrating inside. Again, due to the vapor permeability and environmental friendliness of the material, excess moisture will be removed from the house, which has a beneficial effect on the condition of the walls and the internal microclimate of the room..
It should be noted that there are both universal liquid cork and modified versions of the product, in which one of the signs is more pronounced..
Despite the fact that the liquid cork is suitable for filling the inter-seam space of buildings made of various materials, sometimes not even combined with each other, it cannot be used to fill the joints of a wooden wall. This is due to the tendency of wood to thermal expansion and drying out. When the density of the tree changes and its linear dimensions increase, the seam is depressurized.
Another unsuitable surface for working with sealant is carpet, as well as similar materials..
Currently, liquid cork is only gaining popularity in the domestic market. One of the reasons why Russian buyers refuse to purchase a product is its rather high price..
In any case, you should purchase a liquid cork from well-known manufacturers who have won the trust of buyers.. One of the leading sealant manufacturers is the Isocork brand. The purpose of the material is exterior decoration. The use of this composition allows you to abandon the use of facade materials for finishing, roofing sealants, heaters and polyurethane foam for window openings.
The cork coating under the NanoCORK trademark has a similar effect. Both compositions are available in different shades, but the second is more affordable..
The universal liquid cork is represented by Suber Plast.. It meets all the requirements stated for these products, has a diverse color palette.
Bostik 3070 sealant is distinguished by its versatility – several types of products are produced under this name, the differentiation of which can be made by looking at the numerical value of the sealant.
The Bostik line contains a sealant with improved sound insulation qualities – Bostik 2720. If the universal composition reduces the sound level by 27 dB, then this sealant – by 30 dB.
The combination of affordability and acceptable quality is demonstrated by TN sealant. It can be found in most specialty stores in major cities. Differs in versatility, characteristics corresponding to the product. The disadvantage is the lack of choice of color of the composition. It is available exclusively in a dark brown version..
There are negative reviews on this product on the Internet associated with the duration of the sealant hardening and the appearance of a crust on the seam surface.
The comments of experts allow us to conclude that, most likely, there is a fake, or the rules for applying the composition have been violated.
For high-quality sealing and reliable adhesion of the cork, the principles of applying the composition should be observed.
- Work surfaces should be cleaned, degreased, dried, and then primed in 1-2 layers. A suitable formulation is usually recommended by the manufacturer of the sealant and can be found in the instructions for use for relevant information..
If you neglect this step, or approach it irresponsibly, a significant decrease in the adhesion of the liquid plug can occur..
- Prepare an assembly gun, check the pipe is working properly.
- Fill the prepared space with sealant, evenly distributing it in the gap. If the adjacent surfaces have different heights, then when laying the sealant, you should focus on a higher.
- The sprayed cork should not fall on adjacent surfaces, if this does happen, immediately remove the stains with a cloth. If they freeze, it won’t be easy..
- After application, the composition should be leveled with a wet spatula, and if the gap is small – with wet hands..
- After partial solidification of the cork, its excess, protruding on the surface, is removed with a clerical knife.
- To further strengthen the hardened seam, you can use a special elastic compound.
- Once fully sealed, the treated area can be sanded.
- To achieve the maximum attractiveness of the treated surface, you can select the sealant to the shade of the working bases. If this is not possible, it is better to use a classic shade of wood (brown range), gray or beige compounds. These colors go well with most shades, are versatile.
For an overview of the ISOCORK liquid cork, see the following video.