Before the invention of silicone sealant, it was difficult to achieve perfect tightness of joints. The seams were filled with various putties, mastics, which over time deformed, covered with cracks and ceased to perform their protective functions.
With the advent of silicone sealant, many types of construction and repair work have been greatly simplified, and the quality indicators have increased..
The composition of the silicone resembles a viscous, soft and elastic structure, which, when solidified, seals cracks, cracks and seams. Solid components such as sand, quartz and silicon are involved in the creation of the sealant, this gives strength and reliability to the treated surface..
One-component silicone sealants are available in alkaline, acidic and neutral. Amines dominate alkaline formulations. Acetic acid forms the basis of acidic products. In neutral sealants, the content of alcohol or ketoxime allows you to work with any surfaces, which cannot be said about alkaline and acidic products, the components of which are incompatible with marble, cement, plaster, non-ferrous metals and some types of plastics.
The water-repellent properties of the silicone prevent the sealant from staining during use. These products have a rich color palette, which makes it possible to immediately select a composition that matches the tone, and colorless transparent sealants will suit any surface.
Advantages and disadvantages
Neutral silicone sealants have characteristics that emphasize their merits:
- a high degree of adhesion (adhesion) to almost all materials;
- elastic even in a solidified state (stretched), which makes it possible to use the sealant on unstable areas;
- the sealant is fire-resistant, tolerates high-temperature conditions;
- endowed with a high degree of strength;
- resistant to ultraviolet light, climatic fluctuations, therefore, silicone is used for both indoor and outdoor repair and construction work;
- when dry, it is resistant to the environment of aggressive detergents;
- silicone does not attack mold and mildew;
- unlike acid-base types, neutral sealant is not aggressive to various surfaces, this contributes to its widespread use.
The disadvantages include some of its features..
- Impossibility of staining after application.
- Acid-alkaline species are not used in a humid environment, they are aggressive to certain materials, have insufficient adhesion to some polymers. Neutral silicone sealants do not have these disadvantages, but they are more expensive than other adhesives..
Specialty additives add variety to silicone sealant formulations, with their help, the product changes its characteristics:
- mechanical fillers (adhesion primer) ensure the adhesion of the sealant to the surface;
- extenders (vulcanizers) are responsible for viscosity;
- plasticizers give elasticity to the material;
- the basis is rubber fillers;
- colored pigments are involved in coloring the composition;
- fungicides are added to fight mold and mildew.
When choosing a sealant for its intended purpose, you should pay attention to the component composition of the product.
Neutral silicone sealants are marketed by a variety of manufacturers. They are classified by composition, purpose, color palette. The choice depends on the place and purpose of the application. The purpose of the composition is indicated on the package. In most cases, sealants are divided into construction, automotive and special. They are available for indoor, outdoor, wet or dry rooms.
According to the purpose, silicone sealants are of several types..
- Plumbing and sanitary. This type of product is equipped with antifungal additives, they repel water well, therefore they are used in rooms with high humidity: bathroom, swimming pool, kitchen, bathroom. The joints of pipes and sanitary equipment are treated with sanitary silicone. It has an increased degree of adhesion, tolerates aggressive detergents well, withstands high temperature conditions.
- Automotive. Used to replace car gaskets. Silicone repels water, engine oil, but contact with gasoline is not recommended. The sealant can withstand temperatures up to +300 degrees, is strong and durable.
- Roofing. This type of sealant has enhanced adhesion to bricks, wood, bitumen, metals, plastics, ceramics and concrete. It is irreplaceable in the processing of tile joints, for sealing chimneys, skylights and other roofing works. Well tolerates any climatic conditions.
- Construction. Neutral silicone sealant is used for all kinds of construction and repair work indoors and outdoors. It has good adhesion to plaster, metals, plastics and so on. UV resistant, will not age or discolor.
- For work with bricks and stones. These products are intended for outdoor use, are well resistant to weather conditions, tolerate temperature fluctuations, and include fungicides that stop the development of fungal formations. Has good adhesion to porous surfaces, used for grouting, joining stone, plastic, glass.
- Aquarium. The glue-sealant for glass does not contain harmful impurities and is non-toxic. Has good adhesion to glass and other smooth surfaces. Used for gluing the walls of florariums, aquariums, terrariums, vases and glossy showcases.
These are not all types of work where silicone sealant is used. In everyday life there is always an application of a miracle glue that can “bind” any surface.
Review of popular sealants
Neutral silicone sealants are produced by manufacturers in various countries. Many types of products of excellent quality have proven themselves well in the construction market.
Here are some of them as examples..
- Loctite 5699 – refers to gray neutral sealants. It is used for automotive gaskets used in engines. Does not emit odor, does not corrode, does not affect the oxygen sensor.
- “Silotherm EP-71” – fire retardant, fireproof sealant. It is used for working with cable products, for grouting construction joints, sealing windows and other things. Suitable for electrical insulating coatings, waterproof, frost-resistant, anti-corrosion, explosion-proof.
- Krass silicone neutral – Polish glue of white and transparent color, has excellent adhesion to most building materials, withstands extensive joint deformations. It is used in construction, shipbuilding, tin work and car repairs..
- American sealant Abro 999 silicone black. Designed for repairing gaskets in Japanese cars. Well applicable to work with European and American cars.
Mode of application
For high-quality adhesion of the glue to the material, the surface should be prepared for work. It is necessary to remove dust and various contaminants, degrease the joints, cracks and other places intended for grouting with a special compound. The sealant is produced in tubes of 300 or 600 ml. For work, you need a plunger construction gun, into which a tube with a cut off top and a dispenser is inserted.
Prepared, dried joints or seams are filled with silicone, the excess should be removed with a damp cloth. If the glue mass is still frozen in the wrong place, it can be removed with a solvent. The appearance of the film occurs quite quickly, but the full drying of the working surface occurs in a day. Drying time depends on the thickness of the applied silicone layer.
Neutral silicone sealant is a strong, reliable and durable material, without which it is already difficult to do without in everyday life, construction and production..
In the next video, you will find instructions on how to use Penosil General Silicone neutral silicone sealant..