Decorative plaster has recently become an integral part of renovation work. The versatility and modernity of this material is so high that the variety of textures increases every year. One of the trendiest coatings today is concrete plaster, which has many positive qualities, as well as a wide range of uses..
Before choosing concrete plaster for finishing the room, first, you need to familiarize yourself with some of the features of the material with which you plan to work:
- such decorative plaster has a porous structure and a rough surface due to small particles – sand, stone chips;
- you need to cover the wall with several layers of this building material, this is how you will achieve relief;
- before applying the plaster, the walls must be cleaned of the old coating;
- use a respirator and gloves to work with these raw materials.
In addition, we can highlight some of the advantages that are typical for concrete plaster.
- Independent repair work. With this type of plaster, you can easily learn the application technique yourself, as well as create the desired surface relief.
- Ease of working with the mixture will not take you much time, since the raw material is very plastic, it is applied very easily and dries quickly.
- Heat resistance is a very important quality for a repair material. Such a plaster for concrete will cope with both high and low temperatures, as well as their differences..
- Moisture resistance. For rooms with high humidity, this is a great alternative. Due to its porous structure, the coating absorbs excess moisture in the air.
- Versatility is a quality for which many designers value plaster for concrete. This coating can be used in almost all modern interior styles..
- A wide range of colors is an important quality for modern construction work, since with the help of different colors you can create a unique interior.
- Excellent compatibility with other finishing materials, be it wood or metal.
- Aesthetic, expensive appearance both for the facades department and inside the premises.
- It is possible to form any drawing that can be imagined.
- Huge selection of decorative composition with all kinds of additives.
- High resistance to mechanical stress. This coating is very difficult to scratch or break..
- Sound absorption is the material of choice in many audio studios..
- Fireproof raw materials due to the fact that the composition includes sand.
- Mold will never develop on such a surface..
- Unpretentious care. A concrete wall with any texture will hide any flaws in your room..
Unfortunately, any building material has its drawbacks, despite such a huge number of advantages:
- the high cost of decorative plaster for concrete reduces its popularity;
- toxic material with which safety precautions must be followed so as not to harm the body.
There are two main types of plaster that mimics a concrete surface..
- Micro concrete Is a mixture that consists of cement. It is enriched with quartz chips, polymer additives and dyes. Such a composition has high plasticity, stronger hygroscopicity and heat resistance, and does not absorb any odors..
- Microcement Is a cement-polymer mixture. The composition of this raw material differs from micro-concrete by the absence of quartz chips. It can be used to finish metal, wood, plastic, concrete surfaces and even ceramic tiles..
And also decorative plaster is divided into the following types:
- textured plaster mix creates a rough surface;
- structural takes on a relief appearance and an uneven surface;
- Venetian creates a perfectly flat surface, due to this, imitates a smooth concrete slab.
This diversity of species is determined by the presence of smaller and larger particles in different compositions that form many different surfaces..
Style and design
Of course, the wall covering with decorative plaster, which creates an imitation of stone, wood or concrete, should correspond to the style of the room. Today, interiors made in the loft and high-tech style are actively using this design solution..
The loft-style living room will become the most interesting and attractive object of your home. For example, an authentic wall covered with concrete plaster will be an excellent backdrop for a huge TV or austere classic paintings. The concrete surface in the kitchen will look harmoniously with the kitchen unit instead of ordinary tiles. And you can also add a countertop that will mimic concrete – this will go well with the walls.. Do not forget that in such a strict interior it is important to add elements of tenderness in the form of a vase with white flowers, a cozy sofa with pillows, as well as classic tableware..
Think of such a property of concrete plaster as increased resistance to moisture and temperature extremes. This material will serve as the beginning of the creation of a new stylish bathroom. Crystal white glossy plumbing will look great with rough concrete walls.
And also you can decide to decorate the walls with a decorative coating in the bedroom. Wooden furniture and parquet flooring will be a great addition, creating a special atmosphere with “warm lamps”.
This style literally translates as “high technology”. It is for him that brickwork or concrete is characteristic. This is a close relative of the loft style, so concrete walls will go well with stairs, pipes, modern appliances.
Famous manufacturers and reviews
There is a large selection of concrete plaster on the construction markets. But the seller will not be able to answer for the quality of goods under an unknown brand.. That is why it is necessary to know high-quality well-known manufacturers, as well as reviews of the products they produce..
- Prof Decor Is a Russian company producing decorative building materials. They are real professionals in their field, cooperating with a large number of construction companies and with foreign partners. Clients leave only positive feedback, and the company is developing rapidly. It offers textured plaster for concrete in a huge range of colors, different types.
- Italian company San Marco occupies a leading position in the production of paints and coatings. It produces decorative plaster mixes based on polymers. In this regard, such a coating will have a huge number of positive properties..
- Flex Beton System brand creates coatings that accurately imitate natural raw materials – brickwork, tree bark, stone, sand. It is for this feature that Flex Beton System is in demand in the construction markets..
- Krasnodar firm produces decorative plaster for concrete – “Asti Hi-Tech Beton”. Due to the availability and quality of the material, the Krasnodar company is the first in the list in the domestic markets..
- RustOnu Ironic material system produces a thin-layer decorative material with a metal structure – Animamundi. This is one of the favorite types of plasters for fashion designers, as this coating allows you to get the effect of a matte pearl coating..
- Permuro plaster it is completely unrealistic to find it in the construction markets, since it is being sold out very quickly. The raw materials of this company are not only an excellent decorative finish, but also a good insulation material..
- Manufacturers Ceresit and Caparol produce good, high-quality products with high performance. A nice bonus is the low price, which is available for budget renovations..
- Optimist Elite Construction Company produces quality material using the latest technologies.
Having studied the technology of applying the plaster mixture, you can independently cover the walls with plaster for concrete.
- Preparing the walls. First, you need to clean the walls from the old coating, since any protrusions will interfere with the high-quality application and adhesion of the decorative plaster to the surface. After that, the walls should be thoroughly moistened with water. This will not only moisturize them, but also remove construction dust..
- Wall priming – a very important point. To do this, purchase a quality soil mixture. After covering, let it dry. This will improve adhesion to the wall in the subsequent applied materials..
- Preparation of plaster mix for concrete. If you purchased the mixture in a store, then you should strictly follow the instructions. If the composition is made independently, it is usually dry, diluted with water to the desired consistency.
- Plastering. First you need to lay the base layer. To do this, you will need a spatula with which you will distribute the mixture over the wall, while maintaining the desired thickness. The plane is flat and smooth. The base coat should dry completely. But after applying the second layer, you should not wait long, since it should remain somewhat damp, this is necessary for a better effect when forming a textured surface.
- Formation of texture. This is a kind of design stage. The easiest way to form an interesting relief is with a broom and an iron brush. For a more complex method, special stencils, rollers with a relief nozzle, spatulas, polyurethane stamps are used.
- Relief correction carried out after the plaster has completely dried. To do this, you need to walk along the surface of the wall using sandpaper..
- Dyeing or treatment with glazing compounds. This stage is necessary to achieve the desired design effect..
Tips & Tricks
When using decorative plaster in the interior, do not overdo it:
- do not cover all the walls of the room with plaster mixture;
- choose the right color, as the walls should be in harmony with furniture and other interior details;
- if you decide to decorate the ceilings with plaster for concrete, choose lighter shades;
- do not create sharp contrasts in a room with a concrete wall;
- do not apply too large a layer on the wall, as this decorative raw material is not suitable for leveling surfaces.
Feel free to turn to design ideas or add your own.
For information on how to apply plaster under concrete, see the next video.